Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2008   #21
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Ray Rhodes to Texans?

Its hard not to think that we wouldn't be a better team with Ray Rhodes on the coaching staff but at the same time its a little hard not to think that we may be heading towards the "too many cooks in the kitchen" problem we had on offense on the defensive side of the ball.

Unless Ray Rhodes is JUST here to coach DBs but I doubt a guy as succesful as he has been wouldn't be brought in unless he had a major role in forming our defensive gameplan every week.

But, if we got Ray Rhodes I wouldn't want him here JUST to be an asst. DB coach, i'd want him to have a role similar to the one Gibbs will be having with the offense.
Old 01-24-2008   #22
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

To many cooks in the kitchen just means you have no professionals or no leaders within the group. In my experience, the cream rises to the top and the sediment floats to the bottom.

Rhodes is a former Head Coach and has experienced probably as much success as all of our coaches combined. The more transfer of knowledge he does the better we become in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2008   #23
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I wonder if SH will say now that two very good quality Asst Coaches have been hired.
no need to wonder. its obvious that we are taking steps to address what was a woefully poor assistant coach situation. maybe I wasn't the only one who thought our assistants were below par.......sounds like Texans brass felt the same way.

if this move goes through, I will be very happy. Still would like to see us get a new DC but adding Gibbs and Rhodes to a staff would be a big upgrade.
Old 01-24-2008   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno why is everyone is in love with the possibility of this hire ? What are
they excited about, the guy or his resume ?
He's 50 something and a former HC with a bad ticker. Obviously his career is in decline and not ascending. Is he just bored with all of his downtime as a retiree and looking for a way to pass the idle hours and/or be a part of a team ? I'd rather have a 30 or even 20 something positions coach full of pizz-and-vinegar.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #25
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Head Coach you need an up and comer and an old guy (preferably an old head coach) as assistants to provide balance. Rhodes has been around success, speaks a common language as Kubiak and obviously has some passion for this game even at the young age of 57.

How do you measure a decline? This guys value is off of the charts if you want to improve your defense and make the playoffs.
Old 01-24-2008   #26
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiff View Post
This would be a great hire by the Texans. Sends a great message to the players and fans.

However this almost makes you wonder if Rick Smith has a clause that he has to have at least one former Packers and Denver coach on the staff.
Lame. We are bringing in one of the best defensive minds in the league for some time(hopefully) and someone has to make a well why does everyone have to have a Greenbay or Denver tie?

My biggest impression from Ray was his tenure with the Eagles. While Holmgren is more an offensive guy...quietly they've steadily improved on the defensive side of the ball last year and really got going as one of the best units in the league this year.

My hope is if nothing else he will give Smith at least a damn good clue how a great defense is run, what a scheme is, realize how difficult it is to get consistant pressure with you front four and it's okay to blitz early in the season.

Rhodes and Gibbs in one offseason would be a MAJOR COUP for this staff and organization.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Some info on Rhodes:
  • On the '94 Super Bowl champ Niners staff with Kubiak, where his defense finished #6 in the NFL in total yards and takeaways.
  • On the '01 & '02 Broncos staff with Kubiak (and Texans assistant Frank Bush) as defensive coordinator.
  • In 9 seasons as defensive coordinator, Rhodes defense finished in the top 10 in 4 seasons.
  • 1981 Super Bowl champ 49ers DB coach, with a secondary starting 3 rookies.
It's possible that the '08 Texans could start 3 players in the defensive backfield who are in their 1st or 2nd seasons. Rhodes has proven success working with young DBs, and should be a good fit with the Texans. I don't think Richard Smith is in danger of losing his DC job this year. But, he has to be looking over his shoulder, now.
Old 01-24-2008   #28
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I always liked Rhodes and his pedigree in the coaching circle. This is a great hire. Seems the staff is improving. I also think with guys like this...who have been around and coached top notch talent..it will help in the scouting for the draft. They can pinpoint guys that fit their mold.
Old 01-24-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If players can step up when facing competition, so can coaches and DCs. All coaches regardless of which side of the line should take note. Great move Kubes! Next a productive time signing Andre Davis and if price is right Demps. Then a starter or two (CB and OLB?) in free agency and another solid draft.

I think there is even more buzz this off season than last. I know I look forward to the selections after the 3rd round even more so than prior years. Kubes may be a "rookie" head coach, but keeps making good moves.
Old 01-24-2008   #30
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I always liked Rhodes and his pedigree in the coaching circle. This is a great hire. Seems the staff is improving. I also think with guys like this...who have been around and coached top notch talent..it will help in the scouting for the draft. They can pinpoint guys that fit their mold.
I just got back into town and I saw this. Has it actually been finalized? I've heard about it, but have yet to see proof.

Sorry Frog, just thought I'd piggy-back on your post.
Old 01-24-2008   #31
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I don't believe he's been hired yet. This is just discussion as of right now. Just wanted to be clear on that.

Unless you know something that most of us don't know... If so... linkage, dude. Linkage...
Old 01-24-2008   #32
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I just got back into town and I saw this. Has it actually been finalized? I've heard about it, but have yet to see proof.

Sorry Frog, just thought I'd piggy-back on your post.
Sorry, my statement was meant as "this would be a great hire." It was just written as if we did it, "this is a great hire."
Old 01-24-2008   #33
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

To me its analogous to a situation in the corporate environment where a
former CEO would be hired to fulfill a lower managerial positon.
We've already got an old-head in Gibbs, but he's the assistant HC as I understand it ? If they were looking at Rhoads to be the DC, I like it. But,
well like I said not a position in lower level management.
In other words, we've got an overqualification issue IMO and all the things that might go with that.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #34
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
In other words, we've got an overqualification issue IMO and all the things that might go with that.
Can't disagree, but Richard Smith needs all the help he can get. I have no problem with Ray Rhodes putting his imprint on the D (no matter how small that might be.) Since he's interviewing as the Asst DB coach, then I can't help but think that he'll actually be more of a consultant.

I've been of the opinions that the Texans DB's get a bad rap for the most part. Some of them shouldn't be NFL starters, but as a unit, they aren't as bad as this board makes them out to be.

I guess we'll see if my theory is right.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #35
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We've already got an old-head in Gibbs, but he's the assistant HC as I understand it ? If they were looking at Rhoads to be the DC, I like it. But,
Huh?

The guy had a couple of ministrokes and had to back off his hours so he couldn't be a full time DC.

Rhodes has already accomplished more than any member of the defensive staff. He actually has had production everywhere he has gone on the defensive side of the ball.

Overqualification problem? Here's a guy who still likes being in the game but can't spend the hours entailed with having a top job.*

In all sorts of jobs, there are people with experience who stay at jobs they enjoy doing, but do it for less hours.

*Though interestingly, those in Seahawks land:

1. Think that Rhodes wants to be DC again.
2. Talked about how last year, the Seahawks refused permission for Tampa Bay to talk to Rhodes.

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Bucs asked the Seahawks for permission to speak with defensive coaches Dwaine Board and Ray Rhodes after the regular season. The Seahawks denied permission on both. This is an interesting situation. Seahawks president Tim Ruskell left the Bucs a few years ago. The current regime in Tampa was a bit cold to him recently, indicating this relationship isn't in the "lovey-dovey" category.

Rhodes is under contract through 2007 as a defensive consultant. Now that his health has stabilized, I would expect him to make another run at being a coordinator at some point in the future. Board, meanwhile, is the only Seattle assistant without a contract for the upcoming season. Ruskell said he's confident they can get him re-signed.
And more:

Quote:
The Bucs hired Casullo to coach tight ends, but the Seahawks rejected their advances toward two defensive assistants.

Tampa Bay requested permission to speak with line coach Dwaine Board and consultant Ray Rhodes.

Rhodes is a potential candidate to coach the Seahawks’ secondary, as is assistant defensive backs coach Larry Marmie, Ruskell said.

Just guessing, but if Rhodes comes to the Texans, I am guessing his title isn't going to be just "assistant coach defensive backs."
Old 01-24-2008   #36
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a guy who coordinated a Super Bowl Defense as recently as two years ago. Too say he's too old to be effective is ridiculous. As to your CEO analogy, if the guy is willing to step into the role, there would be an immense amount to gain from his knowledge. The attitude has to be right, but if it is, age, knowledge and experience are wonderful things to have available.

This strikes me as similar to Gibbs mentoring Shanny Jr. on the offensive side - the only difference is that Richard Smith has been in the position a couple of years. If Rhodes is hired, hopefully, Smith would look at it as the tremendous opportunity that it is, and nothing more.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
This is a guy who coordinated a Super Bowl Defense as recently as two years ago.
John Marshall was effectively coordinating the Seahawks defense at that point, as Rhodes had his medical problems earlier in the season.
Old 01-24-2008   #38
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

With the constant rumors floating around about Jon Hoke interviewing for this job or that, I see this as an excellent insurance policy, in addition to just being a great hire from a knowledge and success point of view. The more success you can bring into the organization at the coaching ranks, the better. When coaches are flashing SB rings, the players want some of that.

Ray Rhodes is a helluva good defensive coach, and any knowledge he can bring to the club is great. Kubiak is not afraid to get great minds in and take advantage of them. That tells me he has his ego in check, he can take info from various sources, and most of all, he wants to win badly. I know some people have already started to bash Kubiak, but put me solidly on his bandwagon. Of course, I reserve the right to question field-level decisions , but these moves here are what win or lose games, not those.
Old 01-24-2008   #39
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Boulware would start after Rhodes become a coach for the Texans. Boulware started for the seahawks when Rhodes was a coach there, don't know if it before or after Rhodes left that Boulware was demoted though.

EDIT:
Quote:
After the 2002 season, Rhodes was reunited with Holmgren when he became the defensive coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks, where he has remained ever since.

In September 2005, Rhodes was hospitalized for dizziness and tests later revealed that he had suffered from a mild stroke.

Early Monday October 2, 2006, the Seahawks charter flight had to make an emergency landing in Rapid City, South Dakota to get precautionary medical care for Rhodes. The Seahawks were flying home from a loss at the Chicago Bears.
He was DC when Boulware was a rookie in 2004, it was Boulware best season(although he didn't start) and it was also Rhodes last season as the full-time DC. Boulware was a full-time starter for the Seahawks the next season. Rhodes was still the DC, until he was hospitalized in September that year. The next year Rhodes was replaced at DC, and so was Boulware at SS.

Last edited by J-Russ; 01-24-2008 at 12:19 PM.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #40
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Boulware has some things he can bring to the table. With a full offseason of OTAs and training camps, he should be able to show whether he's going to be a contributor this year on anything but ST. He's not the strongest in pass coverage, but that doesn't mean a good staff can't scheme to his strengths. I am cautiously optimistic about Boulware, but mostly because there's no risk. If he doesn't make the cut, big deal. We didn't give up too much for him, and we have plenty of strong safeties.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read