Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-04-2008   #21
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Salaam and Pitts to star in Super Bowl Ad

Thats my boy ! Good stuff there .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Part of it was the overall lack of quality commercials, and part of it was the homer in me, but this was definitely my favorite commercial.
Old 02-04-2008   #23
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Part of it was the overall lack of quality commercials, and part of it was the homer in me, but this was definitely my favorite commercial.
ya, mine as well, maybe homerish like you say but the commercials were overall garbage this year....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #24
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not have seen Chester Pitts playing the OBOE! A Bassoon perhaps a saxaphone MAYVE, but not an Oboe. He's actually pretty good.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
I would not have seen Chester Pitts playing the OBOE! A Bassoon perhaps a saxaphone MAYVE, but not an Oboe. He's actually pretty good.
It wasn't him actually playing in the commercial. Apparently that one was out of tune.

But I think that the commercials this year were so-so and that the Pitts/Salaam commercial was definitely a highlight.

I thought just about all of the car commercials this year were terrible.
Old 02-04-2008   #26
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My write up on the Texans ad:

The Making of the NFL Super Ad

That ad is an illustration that reality and Hollywood are incapatible. That no matter the story, Hollywood types will exaggerate it.

For example, just about any time on a reality show they get someone to tell their story, it is the bottled up story that sorta resembles reality but not really.

Was thinking about that the other day when I watched the movie Sargeant York on the on demand Turner Classic Movie channel. I was sort of familiar with the story of the movie about a World War I hero, and I was sick, so I figured I'd watch it. It's clearly made in an old timey way (and by watching it you can see how remarkably modern Citizen Kane looks in comparison--a movie that was made the same year). Even though it is old fashioned, it is an entertaining movie, but as with most biographies you should try to read the real story. There were all sorts of changes the movie made that were different than the real story. As it is with most Hollywood remodelings of things.

But I digress.

I thought most of the commercials this year stunk. I like the Texans commercial because I thought it accomplished what they wanted to do with it. My favorite was the Bud Light Jackie Moon ad:

Best Super Bowl Commercial: Bud Light Jackie Moon Ad

In other words, out of all the commercials, which ad would be worth forwarding?
Old 02-04-2008   #27
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans superbowl ad made my day.
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-04-2008   #28
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected

anybody have the link for all the ones submitted by all the players for consideration?
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #29
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I thought just about all of the car commercials this year were terrible.

... i dunno, that audi was the sex.
Old 02-04-2008   #30
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Audi R8:

it's commercial was the take on godfather where they put a hit on our old concept of a luxury car.
Old 02-04-2008   #31
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee View Post
anybody have the link for all the ones submitted by all the players for consideration?
http://superad.nfl.com

They'll show the new Salaam/Pitts ad, but if you look to the right, you'll see "Round 1" and "Round 2". click those.

Last edited by AnthonyE; 02-04-2008 at 05:24 PM.
AnthonyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #32
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

That ad is an illustration that reality and Hollywood are incapatible. That no matter the story, Hollywood types will exaggerate it.

For example, just about any time on a reality show they get someone to tell their story, it is the bottled up story that sorta resembles reality but not really.

Was thinking about that the other day when I watched the movie Sargeant York on the on demand Turner Classic Movie channel. I was sort of familiar with the story of the movie about a World War I hero, and I was sick, so I figured I'd watch it. It's clearly made in an old timey way (and by watching it you can see how remarkably modern Citizen Kane looks in comparison--a movie that was made the same year). Even though it is old fashioned, it is an entertaining movie, but as with most biographies you should try to read the real story. There were all sorts of changes the movie made that were different than the real story. As it is with most Hollywood remodelings of things.

But I digress.

I thought most of the commercials this year stunk. I like the Texans commercial because I thought it accomplished what they wanted to do with it. My favorite was the Bud Light Jackie Moon ad:

ummmm................what??

I cant tell if i hate this post or if im annoyed by it, or maybe im missing the point, but oh well

Old 02-04-2008   #33
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:

But I digress.

Good post, very true.

And rofl! I have to agree, that was the best one.

I also liked the baby E-Trade one and the Giant mouse Doritos commercial.
Old 02-04-2008   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
ummmm................what??

I cant tell if i hate this post or if im annoyed by it, or maybe im missing the point, but oh well
I guess d. You didn't understand it because you didn't click on the links, and it is more than a couple sentences long so you skimmed and didn't get it.

In a sound bite society, we often hate or get annoyed with those things that actually involve thinking.

Here's the Cliff Notes:

1. The Texans Salaam/Pitts ad is not the real story of what happened, but the Hollywood version of their story. If you watch the behind the scenes video, you can see Pitts complaining about the exaggerations in the story. This sort of thing happens all the time in biographies and reality TV things.

2. Most of the Super Bowl ads this year sucked. I liked the Will Ferrell one.

Probably still too long and annoying for you. Sorry.
Old 02-04-2008   #35
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Quote:
I guess d. You didn't understand it because you didn't click on the links, and it is more than a couple sentences long so you skimmed and didn't get it.

In a sound bite society, we often hate or get annoyed with those things that actually involve thinking.

Here's the Cliff Notes:

1. The Texans Salaam/Pitts ad is not the real story of what happened, but the Hollywood version of their story. If you watch the behind the scenes video, you can see Pitts complaining about the exaggerations in the story. This sort of thing happens all the time in biographies and reality TV things.

2. Most of the Super Bowl ads this year sucked. I liked the Will Ferrell one.

Probably still too long and annoying for you. Sorry.
wow, ME gettin bashed by the media, thats a first... and a cheap shot at the end, Nice!

I watched the video yesterday thank you very much, not everyone HAS to enjoy your posts, I agree the commercials overall where "out there" and the majority of them wern't that good. I believe it was your first statement that got me, because i think they did an excelent job of telling the story...

So BACK OFF

Old 02-04-2008   #36
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
wow, ME gettin bashed by the media, thats a first... and a cheap shot at the end, Nice!

I watched the video yesterday thank you very much, not everyone HAS to enjoy your posts, I agree the commercials overall where "out there" and the majority of them wern't that good. I believe it was your first statement that got me, because i think they did an excelent job of telling the story...

So BACK OFF
A few thoughts:

a. I am not media.

b. I am a fan.

c. You were the one that singled out my post and said you hate and/or were annoyed by it and/or didn't get it. I suggested that you didn't understand what I wrote.

d. It was not my intent to bash you.

e. It is clear you didn't understand what I wrote given your most recent post. I didn't say that I didn't like the ad. Or I didn't like how they told the story. What I was saying is if you saw the behind the scenes video, you would know that the story as told in the video is not the way things happened. It is an exaggerated version of the story.

Just like the movie of Sargeant York's WWI heroics doesn't reflect what actually happened. Or any time you hear the backstory of some reality program person, know it is just a stereotype of their life and probably not what actually happened. Hollywood wants to simplify and exaggerate stories to make them more entertaining. That's what they do.

Pitts in the behind the scenes video took umbrage at the notion that he was "just" a grocery sacker and had no dreams.

If you watched just the ad, you might think that Pitts was actually playing the Oboe in it.

Or that Salaam didn't know Pitts before seeing him as a grocery sacker. Actually, Kyle Turley is now claiming that he was the one that convinced Pitts to play football, though that isn't in the behind the scenes video.

So, in sum:

a. I liked the ad.
b. I also know that the ad doesn't reflect what actually happened. It's an exaggerated version of the story. That's what Hollywood does.
c. That is all I was saying.
d. Have a lovely day.
Old 02-04-2008   #37
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Quote:
A few thoughts:

a. I am not media.

b. I am a fan.

c. You were the one that singled out my post and said you hate and/or were annoyed by it and/or didn't get it. I suggested that you didn't understand what I wrote.

d. It was not my intent to bash you.

e. It is clear you didn't understand what I wrote given your most recent post. I didn't say that I didn't like the ad. Or I didn't like how they told the story. What I was saying is if you saw the behind the scenes video, you would know that the story as told in the video is not the way things happened. It is an exaggerated version of the story.

Just like the movie of Sargeant York's WWI heroics doesn't reflect what actually happened. Or any time you hear the backstory of some reality program person, know it is just a stereotype of their life and probably not what actually happened. Hollywood wants to simplify and exaggerate stories to make them more entertaining. That's what they do.

Pitts in the behind the scenes video took umbrage at the notion that he was "just" a grocery sacker and had no dreams.

If you watched just the ad, you might think that Pitts was actually playing the Oboe in it.

Or that Salaam didn't know Pitts before seeing him as a grocery sacker. Actually, Kyle Turley is now claiming that he was the one that convinced Pitts to play football, though that isn't in the behind the scenes video.

So, in sum:

a. I liked the ad.
b. I also know that the ad doesn't reflect what actually happened. It's an exaggerated version of the story. That's what Hollywood does.
c. That is all I was saying.
d. Have a lovely day.
Ok, Go Texans!!

Old 02-04-2008   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Ok, Go Texans!!
Exactly!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008   #39
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i liked the original one with just ephraim better... were he just told the story.. but still a good story
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #40
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I watched the video on the website, but I thought it was Ephraim exaggerating the story not the commercial makers/Hollywood? I thought Pitts said that Kyle Turley was also involved in having him try out for the football team but that he's keeping the entire story under wraps in case he wants to write a book about it (the book part was probably in jest, the rest I'm not so sure).

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read