Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-22-2008   #1
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider
Default Anthony Alridge: "Think the Texans want me?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkRyf4siLs

Don't know much about him, but I found this on YouTube.
Old 01-22-2008   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44358 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anthony Alridge: "Think the Texans want me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedRaider View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYkRyf4siLs

Don't know much about him, but I found this on YouTube.
The only thing I know about him is that he scores T.D.'s on a pretty regular basis.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #3
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

anybody who wants to play for the texans is a good man in my book.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #4
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I think he might be a good late round pick.

Any player that wants to play for us, we should pick up. lol
Old 01-22-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see him being a Darren Sproles type player. The guy is FAAAAAAAAST. I could see him giving both Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones some competition for kickoff and punt returns. If he's there in the 5th or 6th round, take him!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #6
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i know he was part of a game where he and a reciever wer the first couple wr and rb to both get 300 yards in one game, or somthin like that, can anyone help me out, il try n check it out, but i might not get around to it............. well not soon anyway...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #7
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

HOUSTON -- Anthony Alridge had 205 rushing yards, Donnie Avery had 346 receiving yards and Houston scored the final 21 points to rally past Rice 56-48 Saturday.

http://sportsline.com/collegefootbal...71013_RICE@HOU
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2008   #8
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Stat Overview Rushing Receiving Fumbles
YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

2005 9 39 4.3 10 0 13 295 22.7 62 3 0 0

2006 95 959 10.1 87 8 19 274 14.4 41 1 0 0

2007 259 1597 6.2 60 14 42 428 10.2 86 5 0 0
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #9
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

"Quick Six" is a play maker. Good acceleration, good vision, good hands, good escaping skills. At 5'-9" and 175 he's hard to spot coming out of the backfield behind a big offensive line. With his quickness, nimble footwork and vision he will exploit openings and break for daylight. Uses his blockers very well.

Fits the body mold of Warrick Dunn.

Watch his patience as he waits for the blocks to develop and then accelerate in the open. http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ff7fS06deQ

Here is an example of making people miss and great footwork. http://youtube.com/watch?v=jPW61dJaFi4&feature=related

He is also an accomplished band director.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4AqX9lI5S-I

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
He is also an accomplished band director.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4AqX9lI5S-I
That's awesome! I could see him directing the Pep Band after he scores a TD if he becomes a Texan!!

Thanks to Premier
Old 01-22-2008   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been under a rock. Had no clue this guy was this good.

How he could be available in late rounds is a mystery to me. He has charisma/personality, speed, and great footwork.

A guy like this is sneaky good.

Most people shy away from the hometown pick(s)...but this guy seems to be begging the Texans to take him. We might need to start a P.R. campaign for him; get the attention of the Texans front office and let them know there's a guy who can fit the bill.

The thing I liked about this year's season was that we had speed guys (Andre Davis and Jacoby Jones) who really can fly. I remember how many times Domanick Davis was close to breaking big runs off, but he didn't have the straightaway speed once he got into the open. Aldridge looks like a burner, and I was impressed with his vision.

Hey, if nothing else...convert the guy into a DB.
Old 01-22-2008   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Hey, if nothing else...convert the guy into a DB.
Lance Z. wrote in his blog that scouts he talked to during the East-West Shrine Game practices said Aldridge may have to convert to wide receiver because they think he's too small to play running back since he's only 5'9. But heck, Willie Parker of the Steelers is only an inch taller than him. I think Aldridge can make it in the NFL as a RB

Thanks to Premier
Old 01-22-2008   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Very tempting and he looks like Texans material... I also like that he seems to be a "Chad Johnson" type.. ego, smack talk, but in a fun way...not a condescending way.

Unfortunately at 5'9" 175... he makes Reggie Bush look like Jerome Bettis.

Just from what little I see of him in those videos and what ive read about, id love to have him.. but I wouldnt use anything higher than a 6th rounder simply because he is not, physically, a fit in the pros.

His speed and agility, vision and patience all seem to be top notch.. but its a FACT that in the NFL you arent gonna be able to bounce to the outside and pick up big yardage, and you are GONNA get hit and have to break a tackle. No RB since Barry Sanders has been able to make people flat out miss a tackle.. everyone gets hit, and if you arent big enough to shrug it off, you arent gonna get anywhere in the pros.

Id jump at the chance to use a 6th rounder on him though.. for all the reasons i listed above, and because there is the off chance that he might be the RB that proves it is possible to make people miss tackles in the pros.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW, he's talking about TexansTalk poster gary.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Lance Z. wrote in his blog that scouts he talked to during the East-West Shrine Game practices said Aldridge may have to convert to wide receiver because they think he's too small to play running back since he's only 5'9. But heck, Willie Parker of the Steelers is only an inch taller than him. I think Aldridge can make it in the NFL as a RB
Willie Parker ways 35 pounds more.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #16
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how he switches the ball to be on the other side of defenders. Football basics and he's got it down to a fine SPEEDY art.

Don't villify me for what I'm about to say. I'm a Cougar alumus and am a diehard Cougar fan until the day they play the Longhorns. Hook 'em!

My problem with Alridge is that he's been completely shut down in games. TCU is probably the most glaring example of that. I believe that TCU had one of the better defenses that Alridge faced and it showed with him gaining 29 yards on 15 carries to go along with a single reception that gained 4 yards.

He had a monster of a game against Oregon. You won't hear any different from me. Almost 300 total yards. Then he goes and does it again against Rice. I have to sit back and think about this. I don't know too much about Rice's defensive unit. Eh. Ruck Fice! Our rivals! I can't help but think that speed was Alridge's primary weapon. As great as speed is for the NFL, you must have size to go along with it. I'm somewhat skeptical of smallish speedsters who face sub-par defensive units as a whole. Okay.. fine.. Willie Parker did it. Ladainian did it. They're a special breed. Is Alridge that breed? I certainly hope so (as a Texans prospective RB and me wishing a fellow Cougar success)! Unfortunately, I don't think he is that. He's just another Jackie Battle.

He does have great vision and doesn't juke very much. I love that. One cut and he's gone. He has a great understanding for the game of football, that's for certain. It's evidenced by his patience before catapulting himself through a hole by waiting for his blockers to get in place. He understands how to use his speed and that definitely could translate very well in the NFL. It just takes a special breed to do that.

I hope Alridge succeeds in the NFL.
Old 01-23-2008   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

He could be a late round pick that spends a year on the practice squad and in the weight room getting better and adding some weight (not too much though, gotta stay fast). He looks like he can do the one thing that Kubiak seems to prize above all others. He looks like he can make that one cut and just go.

Project player with some upside. I like him and he'd be a nice story to read about.
Old 01-23-2008   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

In the Shrine game, I remember him being bottled up a few times. With the bigger and faster players of the NFL, his speed will be less of a factor. But think about him on kick offs, and running that screen that Dayne always gets caught from behind on. Wow!.

A 6th rounder, I have to think about it, I am seeing him listed as a 5th rounder, and then it is getting harder with this teams needs. But he would be an instant crowd favorite.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 172049 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

His size..........weight (175 lbs) more than height puts the question of NFL durability foremost in my mind. When it's all said and done, it would not surprise me if he would end up as an undrafted offering. That would be the only way we probably see him in a Texans uniform.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I love how he switches the ball to be on the other side of defenders. Football basics and he's got it down to a fine SPEEDY art.

Don't villify me for what I'm about to say. I'm a Cougar alumus and am a diehard Cougar fan until the day they play the Longhorns. Hook 'em!

My problem with Alridge is that he's been completely shut down in games. TCU is probably the most glaring example of that. I believe that TCU had one of the better defenses that Alridge faced and it showed with him gaining 29 yards on 15 carries to go along with a single reception that gained 4 yards.

He had a monster of a game against Oregon. You won't hear any different from me. Almost 300 total yards. Then he goes and does it again against Rice. I have to sit back and think about this. I don't know too much about Rice's defensive unit. Eh. Ruck Fice! Our rivals! I can't help but think that speed was Alridge's primary weapon. As great as speed is for the NFL, you must have size to go along with it. I'm somewhat skeptical of smallish speedsters who face sub-par defensive units as a whole. Okay.. fine.. Willie Parker did it. Ladainian did it. They're a special breed. Is Alridge that breed? I certainly hope so (as a Texans prospective RB and me wishing a fellow Cougar success)! Unfortunately, I don't think he is that. He's just another Jackie Battle.

He does have great vision and doesn't juke very much. I love that. One cut and he's gone. He has a great understanding for the game of football, that's for certain. It's evidenced by his patience before catapulting himself through a hole by waiting for his blockers to get in place. He understands how to use his speed and that definitely could translate very well in the NFL. It just takes a special breed to do that.

I hope Alridge succeeds in the NFL.
You are right about facing good defenses.

I see him as a more athletic/quicker Kevin Faulk. Smaller but versatile enough to be a RB if needed but to also be a 3rd down pass catching back, return kicks, etc. I like the guys attitude and think this is the type guy...not saying he is Hester....that can change a few games for you with a few plays.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read