Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-21-2008   #21
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Most Underused Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
ummm 13 years is quite a bit..... and like i said HISD sucks, and im going into the sports radio Business sooo.. plus when im on a site like this i get lazy, as long as you know what i mean, i dont care how its spelled....
13 years - not such a long time.

I'll concede the other points, though.
Old 01-21-2008   #22
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Unless I'm mistake, Owen Daniels lead the team in receptions this past season. Untill he washes the butter off of his fingers, I am content with his current role in the offense. I will agree about Leach though, the guy is a total monster who is surprisingly quick on his feet. I would like to see more full back action on the goal line.

Sig by False Start on #69

Last edited by adam; 01-21-2008 at 05:39 PM.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #23
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ya,expression and creativity are more important and they want you to spell correctly but it isnt as important as it once was(basein this on how my dad was taught) and as for gramer, thats out the window.. "you cant alwasy express yourself and your writting with proper grammer" is kinda the saying behind that.... to be honest i kinda wish they did teach it more, also HISD sucks...... sooooo....
Ouch. I'm 25 and putting myself through college. It really puts a dent in the collective future clout our generation can attain when an attitude like this shown.

It's awesome that you want to go into sports radio but expecting to jump in without decent grammatical ability is pretty short sighted. I'm not here to preach on a soap box or anything. Just I kind of winced in pain when I saw that in typing.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #24
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post

I was wondering about the Texans, why don't we use the fullback (Vonta Leach) and Owen Daniels more often. I feel that both of these players can help us out in the passing game as well as get the pressure off of Andre Johnson. Most teams that we play cover AJ and sometimes play "relaxed" against our other WRs.

I feel that we need to pass more to Vonta Leach, Owen Daniels, and Kevin Walters (Who I think can become anohter TJ Houshmanzadeh for us).

What do u guys think?

Can't really see how OD can be considered underused when he was second on the team in receptions and had the 6th most receptions in the league among TEs. Now I could agree that he might deserve a few more chances in the red zone, but on the whole I don't believe he is being underutilized.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #25
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Ouch. I'm 25 and putting myself through college. It really puts a dent in the collective future clout our generation can attain when an attitude like this shown.

It's awesome that you want to go into sports radio but expecting to jump in without decent grammatical ability is pretty short sighted. I'm not here to preach on a soap box or anything. Just I kind of winced in pain when I saw that in typing.
ya cuz i turn in papers that look like this...... :elle: with smilies n all, thanks for your concern but i know how to spell, it just isnt important here.... AT ALL

edit: plus i spilled water on my keyboard a couple years ago and sometimes buttons dont work... and my dad corrects me all the time and correcting people is rude, so grammer and correct english is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated IMO... and most other writers, shakespear didnt use punctuation...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #26
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez, why can't we stay on subject and not resort to spending 2/3 of a thread in personal attacks?

I agree with Adam in that I would like to see Leach get the ball more in short yardage situations.

I think Daniels could be used a little more in the red zone and out of the backfield.

I would like to see Andre Davis' talents used more at WR.

I would like to see them work Jacoby Jones in more.

Zack Diles would be good to see a little more of.

I would like to see them scrap the John Abatte fullback thing and give him a legit shot at LB.

I'm hoping Chris Taylor can stay healthy and take up where he left off.

Driessen, the TE, looked good at the end of the season, let's see what he can do, too.

Give some of the young OL's a legit shot.

maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #27
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ya,expression and creativity are more important and they want you to spell correctly but it isnt as important as it once was(basein this on how my dad was taught) and as for gramer, thats out the window.. "you cant alwasy express yourself and your writting with proper grammer" is kinda the saying behind that.... to be honest i kinda wish they did teach it more, also HISD sucks...... sooooo....
Dude, grammar and spelling are extremely important if you want to get anywhere in life. Sure you may slip through and be the exception, but for the most part it's important. Now grammar on a message board may not be that important, but keep this message in mind. Ok, back to football talk.

ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2008   #28
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm for playing Diles more as well.
Old 01-21-2008   #29
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.

The end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan;
and my dad corrects me all the time and correcting people is rude, so grammer and correct english is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated IMO... and most other writers, shakespear didnt use punctuation...
Correcting people is helpful.

Without grammar and "correct" English, then you can't communicate. There are posts of some people on here, like yours, that are at times almost impossible to decipher. If you're trying to talk to people and you want to say something to them that's important, then you should re-think your attitude on the emphasis of proper language.

And if you think Shakespeare didn't use punctuation, you should back away from the crack pipe. Why do you think that Shakespeare didn't use punctuation? Show me one piece of Shakespeare's without punctuation?
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #31
ItsAMarioParty
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden cover

Actually whether or not Shakespeare used punctuation or not is pretty widely debated. Most think later authors added the punctuation that Shakespeare didn't want to use so I wouldn't be so quick to denounce what he's saying.

Also 13 years is a long time when you're comparing your age with someone in high school or just out.

And lastly spelling, grammar and punctuation, while nice to see used well, are really not that important on an internet message board.

Oh and I would like to see some of the young linemen thrown out into the action and sink or swim
ItsAMarioParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #32
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see Weaver get more sacks and disrupt the passing game

I don't think it falls under underused but we aren't getting bang for our buck
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #33
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAMarioParty View Post
Actually whether or not Shakespeare used punctuation or not is pretty widely debated. Most think later authors added the punctuation that Shakespeare didn't want to use so I wouldn't be so quick to denounce what he's saying.

Also 13 years is a long time when you're comparing your age with someone in high school or just out.

And lastly spelling, grammar and punctuation, while nice to see used well, are really not that important on an internet message board.

Oh and I would like to see some of the young linemen thrown out into the action and sink or swim
Can you post a link to one of these Shakespeare punctuation debates? I've seen it argued whether Shakespeare actually wrote all the works attributed to him and I've seen were punctuation and spelling was changed by later transcriptions but I've never, ever seen anything say that Shakespeare didn't use punctuation. I've heard that Shakespeare used punctuation to heighten the effect of iambic pentameter in places but I've never heard, except on this board, that he didn't use any punctuation at all. So... I'm not saying I don't believe you but... I don't believe you. I even did a quick search and I don't see anything about it.

i dissagre dat splln and gramer r nt impotent on dis o ne mb i haz seen sum bat spllrs hear an uthur mbs an if u right rong u gets know respcet cuz u luk stuupid iz hrd to reed an y buthr. Srsly.

Over the years, I've been on a lot of boards and lists and forums and newsgroups. And while having "perfect" grammar and "perfect" spelling isn't important, making an attempt to write clearly is and grammar and spelling are important parts of writing intelligibly. Personally, if someone consistently writes unintelligibly, I start ignoring their posts or at least just glancing over them. If they aren't going to take the time to be able to put their thoughts on the screen clearly, why should I bother to take the time to try to figure out what they're trying to say? It's probably not worth it.

And I'm interested in seeing which of the "unknown" linemen on the team are going to get a chance to step up with Gibbs working with them. I don't think that Smithiak has been pulling these guys (Butler, Eslinger, Okobi, Stevenson, Frye, Butler) in just to cut them loose now and I find it interesting that Pitts is now showing up as a G/T on the roster on the website.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Ali4Real;828491]

I was wondering about the Texans, why don't we use the fullback (Vonta Leach) and Owen Daniels more often. I feel that both of these players can help us out in the passing game as well as get the pressure off of Andre Johnson. Most teams that we play cover AJ and sometimes play "relaxed" against our other WRs.

I feel that we need to pass more to Vonta Leach, Owen Daniels, and Kevin Walters (Who I think can become anohter TJ Houshmanzadeh for us).

What do u guys think?[quote=Ali4Real;828491]

I will second the Zack Diles post. He should have seen more snaps at OLB. Dreesen was another guy who should have seen more play. And Ill argue Leech because he has no ball skills and fumbled a little too much for my taste. Hes good on the 1 yard line and as a blocker, nothing more.

Last edited by BigBull17; 01-21-2008 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Looked bad
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #35
wicked_wayz
all blacks

i know leach is a beast of a blocker but how about john abbate
Old 01-22-2008   #36
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_wayz View Post
i know leach is a beast of a blocker but how about john abbate
He was on IR all season, kinda hard to use a guy who is on IR and also toknow exactly how well he will do as a FB. Especially since he did not play that position in college.
Old 01-22-2008   #37
andre'
Bandwagoner

Rep Power: 12 andre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden cover

Jones looked so good in preseason, but it didnt translate to regular season success. Maybe he will take a big step this offseason. I would like to see him get more touches.
andre' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #38
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess it depends who you ask if punctuation is important, but if you want a degree from an accredited institution you are going to have to know how to use punctuation.

I know if I'm reading a messageboard I will skip over anything that looks like it was written by a 4th grader.
nero THE zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #39
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the mods should delete any post not on topic.

Ron Dayne is a problem. He just doesn't have the talent to carry most of the load but, if you don't give him the carries, his mediocre performance suffers. If we give him the carries, it takes away from Walker & Taylor. Of course, Walker & Taylor haven't proven they can carry the load but, we won't know till we use 'em.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #40
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Can you post a link to one of these Shakespeare punctuation debates? I've seen it argued whether Shakespeare actually wrote all the works attributed to him and I've seen were punctuation and spelling was changed by later transcriptions but I've never, ever seen anything say that Shakespeare didn't use punctuation. I've heard that Shakespeare used punctuation to heighten the effect of iambic pentameter in places but I've never heard, except on this board, that he didn't use any punctuation at all. So... I'm not saying I don't believe you but... I don't believe you. I even did a quick search and I don't see anything about it.

i dissagre dat splln and gramer r nt impotent on dis o ne mb i haz seen sum bat spllrs hear an uthur mbs an if u right rong u gets know respcet cuz u luk stuupid iz hrd to reed an y buthr. Srsly.

Over the years, I've been on a lot of boards and lists and forums and newsgroups. And while having "perfect" grammar and "perfect" spelling isn't important, making an attempt to write clearly is and grammar and spelling are important parts of writing intelligibly. Personally, if someone consistently writes unintelligibly, I start ignoring their posts or at least just glancing over them. If they aren't going to take the time to be able to put their thoughts on the screen clearly, why should I bother to take the time to try to figure out what they're trying to say? It's probably not worth it.

And I'm interested in seeing which of the "unknown" linemen on the team are going to get a chance to step up with Gibbs working with them. I don't think that Smithiak has been pulling these guys (Butler, Eslinger, Okobi, Stevenson, Frye, Butler) in just to cut them loose now and I find it interesting that Pitts is now showing up as a G/T on the roster on the website.

just some advice, judging people on how they spell isnt gunna get you very far, though i see your points, i think its kinda shallow.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read