Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-21-2008   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rivals New Mock--1/18

Matt Ryan #1..don't see it even though Parcells wants a QB that is his guy. In fact this Mock is all over the place

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...144&CID=749667

Quote:
18. Houston (8-8)
The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma*
The buzz: The Texans are looking to add a standout playmaker opposite Andre Johnson.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-21-2008 at 12:33 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Rivals New Mock--1/18

I've thought about Miami taking the best quarterback in the draft. They have had no luck at QB for years now, and need one desperately. So I think there is validity in Miami drafting a QB. But I think Parcells and Sparano will not take the bait here. They will draft the best defensive player they can get.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I've thought about Miami taking the best quarterback in the draft. They have had no luck at QB for years now, and need one desperately. So I think there is validity in Miami drafting a QB. But I think Parcells and Sparano will not take the bait here. They will draft the best defensive player they can get.
Yeah, I know Bill probably isn't a Beck guy because Beck isn't a Bill guy. So they definitely will look. I agree though that they will look at a Dorsey or Long at #1. I can even see him taking offers if there are any takers since he likes picks and likes overhauling teams.
Old 01-21-2008   #4
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think WR is an option in the 1st round for the Texans. This pick doesn't make any sense to me, although, it wouldn't be the first time I would be wrong. But it just seems to me that if they go offense in the 1st, I think they would go OL or RB. Just my
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #5
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Another person in the media who has not watched any Texans games.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
You think he could have found a transcript of Kubiak or Rick Smith this off-season. Instead he apparently made these notes in August, and refuses to alter them.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The buzz: The Texans are looking to add a standout playmaker opposite Andre Johnson.
The Texans probably are looking for a standout playmaker, but at RB not WR.
Old 01-21-2008   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans probably are looking for a standout playmaker, but at RB not WR.
Exactly. I was surprised to see the comments.
Old 01-21-2008   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))
The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
The buzz: The Patriots are looking for another impact defender in their changing secondary.
rich would get richer

I wonder what mock draft has come the closest to what the Texans need or do ...will have to do some research
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow, just wow. Of all the holes on the club, all of the options at the eighteen, I would be physically ill if they did this. Mind boggling.

Quote:
Nice guess. Try the wee-gee board again.

He's got players going to the correct slots..... but I doubt it works this way. There will have to be some move ups for the board to fall this way. Parcells has taken a QB one once....and he never took another one high again. His history suggest he trades for them.

If K.C. picks a Qb that would mean from everything I've read, that there has been a major power shift there. Go from Brody Colye is our QB of the future to an instant QB controvery ? I dunno about that one. They are more desperate for o-line help than we are. They could go with o-line the first two picks and I don't think anyone in K.C. would Squawk. And then there is Monk who is goin to drift down the boards on the second day....
K.C. also needs a TE or a slot guy in case Gonzo hangs it up next year.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-21-2008 at 03:27 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #11
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
You think he could have found a transcript of Kubiak or Rick Smith this off-season. Instead he apparently made these notes in August, and refuses to alter them.
My guess, he took a look at the roster, didn't recognize any of the receivers outside of Andre Johnson and assumed that the rest were garbage.
Old 01-21-2008   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
rich would get richer

I wonder what mock draft has come the closest to what the Texans need or do ...will have to do some research
So Hobbs and Gay are going to be his starters at CB in '08...uh huh, now tell me another one.
Old 01-21-2008   #13
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My guess, he took a look at the roster, didn't recognize any of the receivers outside of Andre Johnson and assumed that the rest were garbage.
that's how 98% of mocks work.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So Hobbs and Gay are going to be his starters at CB in '08...uh huh, now tell me another one.
Didn't the Pats just draft Merriweather with a 1st round pick? So they are going to add another FS instead of trying to replace Samuel?
Old 01-21-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Didn't the Pats just draft Merriweather with a 1st round pick? So they are going to add another FS instead of trying to replace Samuel?
that is right, I forgot about Merriweather
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

It would make sence if they move Meriweather to Cb. that was Meriweather's strength when he came out. tweener FS/Cb.

Belichick gets into that range....he'll draft a young DL guy to groom. How long has Seymore been going....He gets a shot of one of the upper level DE's who translate into his 3-4 he'll make the pick.
Old 01-21-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Vernon Gholston projects to OLB in a 3-4. however the Pats are prime canidates to trade down, they're always looking for more picks.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

yeah, the Texans drafting a WR in the 1st Round is probably not gonna happen. If Andre Davis isn't retained, its possible but still unlikely.

i am still holding out hope that a Kenny Phillips is there at #18 but every mock I see just has him going higher (this mock has him going like 7 to the pats which is way too early for a safety imho)

plus Belichik drafted Merriweather earlier than projected last year and that guy has skills. I doubt he goes back to back safety in the first round in 2 successive years)
Old 01-21-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Agreed. the wolf in New England never met a move down he didn't like. Always better to have the move up ammo in you pocket for the next draft. They do a very good job of taking guys, targeting them, who fit their system....and not over pay for them.

TBS they got a bunch of greay beards at LB and a hole at CB....sooner or later he'll have to restock his deffense. Not bad stradegy for them either...I believe they only had two guys drafted stick on the roster last year.
Old 01-21-2008   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll add myself to the list of being physically Ill if they go WR in the first.

I get the feeling as well they'll need to restock their secondary after this off-season and i doubt this year they open the checkbook again last last year. Phillips might be what they want but I think that's going to be dependant on how Harrison feels about coming back and what they do with Asante if they're willing to give a few other players raises. I get the feeling though if possible they'd like to continue getting younger at LB.

Would anyone take a paycut to join a team that went 16-0 during the regular season? Personally I would but then again....Paychecks are nice to me but i'd rather have a sure shot at a Ring myself.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read