Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-20-2008   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Using AJ the way the Cowboys used TO

I wonder what would happen if we moved AJ around like the Cowboys did with TO? The Cowboys, excluding their playoff loss, refused to leave TO in a traditional WR spot...moving him around and putting him all over the field to create confusion and potential matchup problems.

I'd like to see us get AJ into a lot of different positions, including having him line up in a double-TE spot with Daniels...putting Andre Davis and Walter on the outside as WRs with a RB in the backfield to keep the LBs honest. How do you defend that? Daniels can stretch the field and provides a mismatch on slower LBs, Andre Davis and Walter demand DB coverage off the snap, a running back (with playaction) would help to slow down the LB rushes because then they have AJ who, like Daniels, could blow right past a LB off the snap and catch a quick pass. In this formation, you could have AJ run a go route, a slant, a quick hitch/bubble screen, or an out route as Andre Davis and Walter run go routes to clear the CBs off.

Kubiak said (recently) that he likes what we're doing in the passing game...and I think (IIRC) he said something to the effect of us having to look at potentially becoming a heavier passing team who relies more on the pass because of the personnel we have and the success we've had this season.

I think AJ is a guy who could dominate next season, but we need to create more plays with AJ as the focus.
Old 01-20-2008   #2
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Using AJ the way the Cowboys used TO

This season the 2nd tier WR's did well, but it would not surprise me at all to see Smith bring in a stud WR to be a real #2. Then we could use AJ any way possible.

And have better depth for when (if) AJ gets hurt again.
Old 01-20-2008   #3
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
This season the 2nd tier WR's did well, but it would not surprise me at all to see Smith bring in a stud WR to be a real #2. Then we could use AJ any way possible.

And have better depth for when (if) AJ gets hurt again.
doggg c'mon, did you not see the catches AD made or the skill to get open and never drop anything that walter had we have 2 "real" #2s

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #4
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I also second WesmanTexanfan about having a #2 WR. Davis and Walters are both very good
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #5
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

They may not be Reggie Wayne or TJ Houshmandzadeh type #2's but there aren't many teams who do have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans probably have their future #2 WR in Jacoby Jones. After an electrifying preseason, Jones struggled as a rookie in the regular season. That should have been expected, considering the level of competition he came from. Still, there's no doubt that Jones has the physical ability and could have a breakout season after full offseason with the team.
Old 01-21-2008   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I think we're set on WRs for a while.

I'm all for taking BPA and all that, especially on the decisions of "Smithiak," but we don't need first day picks on certain positions, like WR, MLB, QB.

However, it wouldn't suprise me to see us pick a DE in the first round and a DT in the 3rd. :elle:

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2008   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans probably have their future #2 WR in Jacoby Jones. After an electrifying preseason, Jones struggled as a rookie in the regular season. That should have been expected, considering the level of competition he came from. Still, there's no doubt that Jones has the physical ability and could have a breakout season after full offseason with the team.
It isn't like he disappointed in the rare chance he got at playing WR either. That catch he made against Jacksonville in the last game of the season where he one handed a ball that was thrown behind him was a thing of beauty.

He probably would have gotten more time at reciever if it wasn't for Walter and AD stepping up.
nero THE zero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #9
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
They may not be Reggie Wayne or TJ Houshmandzadeh type #2's but there aren't many teams who do have that.
That is mainly because both of those guys are #1's playing as the "#2" guy on the team, especially T.J. who has played much better than C.J. over the last 2 seasons.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It isn't like he disappointed in the rare chance he got at playing WR either. That catch he made against Jacksonville in the last game of the season where he one handed a ball that was thrown behind him was a thing of beauty.

He probably would have gotten more time at reciever if it wasn't for Walter and AD stepping up.
It was. And the moment he made it, I commented to the seats behind me, "Where the hell has that been all year?"

Jacoby showed in preseason what he could do, then he went MIA for the season. It's to be expected, to some extent, because he's a rookie, but I expected a little more than what we saw. I think the injury got in his head. I expect a decent sophomore campaign.
Old 01-21-2008   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
It was. And the moment he made it, I commented to the seats behind me, "Where the hell has that been all year?"

Jacoby showed in preseason what he could do, then he went MIA for the season. It's to be expected, to some extent, because he's a rookie, but I expected a little more than what we saw. I think the injury got in his head. I expect a decent sophomore campaign.
I think WR is up on the list of how hard it is to transition from college to the pros. Let me add that I would have to add to the fact Jones came from a very small school and that I think now that his rookie season is over with we should see improvement 10 fold next year for most of it anyway. Of course he may hit a wall since he did not play significant downs.

Plus the improvements of the QB and there should be huge gains with all of the WR, including AJ.
Old 01-21-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I beleive it didn't help he seperated his shoulder early in the season.He was supposed to be more of a luxury to ease into the lineup as a #2 as the season progressed. I credit the fact Walter really showed up this season and Davis showed up BIG when AJ went down. Question now is AD going to be resigned after giving the team a lift and what does that do for Jones development?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #13
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:

I think you could be right. I think he needs to learn from KW and AJ for a season, and he will emerge as a great threat at WR2 eventually.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #14
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Buterflies....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #15
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
That is mainly because both of those guys are #1's playing as the "#2" guy on the team, especially T.J. who has played much better than C.J. over the last 2 seasons.
Thats exactly my point.

Quote:
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 128458 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
doggg c'mon, did you not see the catches AD made or the skill to get open and never drop anything that walter had we have 2 "real" #2s
I like Davis alot. We need to sign him pronto.

I am very happy with our wideouts, I'm just saying it would not surprise me to see a big pickup in the offseason.
Old 01-24-2008   #17
Polo

I think Jacoby's injury had more to do with his struggles than anything else did...

Up until that injury in the third game, he was an intergal part of our offense...
Old 01-24-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think WR is up on the list of how hard it is to transition from college to the pros. Let me add that I would have to add to the fact Jones came from a very small school and that I think now that his rookie season is over with we should see improvement 10 fold next year for most of it anyway. Of course he may hit a wall since he did not play significant downs.

Plus the improvements of the QB and there should be huge gains with all of the WR, including AJ.
There isn't much of a reason for him to get significant play time as a #2 receiver anyway. He should be nothing more than a 3 or a 4 at this point. He still has alot to learn and we have Walter and Davis both ahead of him.

Walter really proved himself to me over the course of the season. We don't need to draft any WR early, that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Chad Johnson is a Top 5 WR in the league. Make no mistake CJ is the #1, and T.J. is the #2. T.J. is a playmaker, but he benefits alot from CJ's explosiveness.

AJ - a little power + a little speed/quickness = CJ

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 01-24-2008 at 06:24 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #19
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

there is still no need to waste a pick on a WR
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read