Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: how many new starters
2 or less 2 3.70%
3 11 20.37%
4 9 16.67%
5 12 22.22%
6 11 20.37%
7 8 14.81%
8 or more 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2008   #21
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: How many changes?

At least one DLine spot is possible (Weaver, Maddox, TJ, ?)

At least one CB spot, and probably CC Brown's job will be up for grabs.

SLB is in dire need of some help.

LT will compete with Salaaam. RG is unsettled with Weary and McKinney injured. Ditto for center.

RB is up for grabs, obviously.
Old 01-21-2008   #22
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh...I voted on how many changes I think we need, not how many I think we'll fix.

What I think we need is (in no particular order):

1. Defensive End - Mario is turning into a damn good player, but we need somebody on the other end to help him out. Anthony Weaver doesn't pressure the QB at all.

2. Secondary - This can be either corner or safety. I think Will Demps will prove to be a solid FS, but we need an upgrade over CC Brown. Nobody knows how well Dunta is going to be once he comes back (probably not until 2009), so I think you'd have to add cornerback to the list as well.

3. Running back - I get tired of hearing people proclaim Darius Walker and Chris Taylor as the answer at this position. Taylor played all of one game in 2006 and was injured in all of 2007. I'm still waiting on a reasonable explanation as to why you think he can be our RB of the future. Walker played well last season, but I see him more of a change of pace back. I see him as a solid backup and not much more. Same for Dayne. I'd have no problems with drafting a running back in the 1st round.

4. Left Tackle - Salaam was not bad as our LT, but he wasn't good either. He's more of a solid backup but he played reasonably well last year. That said, he's not the long term answer. We've been waiting for a franchise LT since we came into the league and it's about damn time we get one.

5. Outside Linebacker - Greenwood and Clark played well at times last year, but we need a LB who can pressure the QB.

Now I don't think we'll get all of those fixed by next season. I do think we'll fix 3, maybe 4 of our needs however.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

1st off since the Texans running game is based upon platooning backs its a given there will be several different starters one time or another. so RB should be off the books.

2nd even is they select OT with the first pick the Texans would prefer to groom & develop him under Ephraim Salaam. until injury once again raises its ugly head.

3rd Dunta is most likely starting the season on PUP. Bennett has a good off-season he should be one of the Texans starting cb's. the other will come via the draft (1st rd.) or FA. so thats one.

4th I feel that Travis Johnson will not be on the Texans roster come next fall, plus they'll keep Anthony Weaver because no market for him or his salary. thats two.

5th you have DE, LB, FS, C & OG all possiblities, but I'm guessing only one gets filled with a new starter. three.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #24
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
1st off since the Texans running game is based upon platooning backs its a given there will be several different starters one time or another. so RB should be off the books.

2nd even is they select OT with the first pick the Texans would prefer to groom & develop him under Ephraim Salaam. until injury once again raises its ugly head.

3rd Dunta is most likely starting the season on PUP. Bennett has a good off-season he should be one of the Texans starting cb's. the other will come via the draft (1st rd.) or FA. so thats one.

4th I feel that Travis Johnson will not be on the Texans roster come next fall, plus they'll keep Anthony Weaver because no market for him or his salary. thats two.

5th you have DE, LB, FS, C & OG all possiblities, but I'm guessing only one gets filled with a new starter. three.

your a funny man.......

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #25
whiskeyrbl

1. Rb
2. Lt
3. C
4. Olb
5. S
Said 5 but think it could possibly be 6 if we get a CB in FA.
Old 01-21-2008   #26
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
your a funny man.......
Are you going to explain why that is funny to you Wesman? What Beerlover is saying makes sense, and while it may not work out that way it's possible.

Beerlover, I agree with you about Weaver and TJ. I think Weaver gets moved inside and platoons until next year to reduce his cap hit because as it stands right now his cap ht is HUGE. Everyone that is saying cut Weaver better get set for disappointment cause it probably wont happen.

Good post beerlover.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #27
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

the pt is will we draft or sign a new FA rb.. and anyway green was our starter this yr until injury
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-21-2008   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I know you're a line guy ...so why move Winston to gaurd when he was the most consistant player on the line by far this year?

I'm also not putting my money on Spencer returning AND getting his playing weight down. I really do hope he gets back....would bea true shame to have such a promising career taken away like that. That said IF he makes it back that's icing on the cake for this team.

I totally agree with the Center assesment. Would love to se Dansby on this team too. Especially if we're content to having Smith as our D coordinator.I'm also curious to see what Harrison could bring to the table. Gay or trufant would be good picks on the outside especially with Dunta's status uncertain.
LG is where you move the most destructive weapon you have on the o-line...screens, traps and sweeps to the right side. LG leads them. Also my thought is if we are going to have a New OLT, he'd be the best guy to groom him when the bullets are flying live.

Which means...Studdard is NOT a good enough athlete to be stuck in that slot...sorry guess again.

The only one who has put bit in the DC's play book is the HC. Smith gets the green light, he'll send the heat.
Old 01-21-2008   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see

1. Running back only if we draft Stewart or Mendenhall otherwise Green will start unless injured. I am afraid Green will not be cut by week one unless he proves in camp he just can't go.

2. CB to replace Dunte in game one.
3. A guard to replace the injured Fred Weary if he can't be there or is let go.

Ok 2-3. Unless Briggs or another OLB is signed in FA, we will have same crew. Like it or not Greenwood is here to stay. Demps will be back at FS unless he goes elsewhere. He might be beaten out later but week one is the starter.

I forsee Salaam as the LT starter even if we select a first round tackle. I'd be surprised if the ones we are excited about can't beat him out in TC. McKinney will be starter at center. I do not count him as new just taking back the position he had prior to injury.
Old 01-21-2008   #30
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At least one DLine spot is possible (Weaver, Maddox, TJ, ?)

At least one CB spot, and probably CC Brown's job will be up for grabs.

SLB is in dire need of some help.

LT will compete with Salaaam. RG is unsettled with Weary and McKinney injured. Ditto for center.

RB is up for grabs, obviously.
I agree but I said 7 just with the hopes of getting a DE and a space eating DT CB, and one safety spot (depending on resigning of Demps) and of Course OLB.

LT RG and Center also but I will not hold my breath on all of them.

The one guy I do not hear mentioning a lot in FA is Jeff Faine (Center) who played with NO. No I am not mentioning him because he played at ND but because I think he is the second best Center on the market and he is younger and would fill the spot for years. Versus signing an older guy who could groom White unless we all think White is ready for the job?

Now Faine does have a contract option so I am not sure if he will be UFA. That is yet to be determined.
Old 01-21-2008   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I agree but I said 7 just with the hopes of getting a DE and a space eating DT CB, and one safety spot (depending on resigning of Demps) and of Course OLB.

LT RG and Center also but I will not hold my breath on all of them.

The one guy I do not hear mentioning a lot in FA is Jeff Faine (Center) who played with NO. No I am not mentioning him because he played at ND but because I think he is the second best Center on the market and he is younger and would fill the spot for years. Versus signing an older guy who could groom White unless we all think White is ready for the job?

Now Faine does have a contract option so I am not sure if he will be UFA. That is yet to be determined.
Why not use McKinney to groom the next replacement?
Old 01-21-2008   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
LG is where you move the most destructive weapon you have on the o-line...screens, traps and sweeps to the right side. LG leads them. Also my thought is if we are going to have a New OLT, he'd be the best guy to groom him when the bullets are flying live.

Which means...Studdard is NOT a good enough athlete to be stuck in that slot...sorry guess again.

The only one who has put bit in the DC's play book is the HC. Smith gets the green light, he'll send the heat.
Fair enough. I just feel like it's exchanging one varible for another when you know what you'll get out him playing RT. IF Spencer does make it back I'm not sure he'd be 100% the player he was prior to the injury and could possibly be better suited for the move to LG.

If you're right then Studdard might be a good candidate for RG then. The staff seemed to like Breisel though. It wouldn't surpise me to see a moderate shuffle on the line this up coming season especially on the interior. Salaam has done we enough but IF BIG IF we do finally take a LT in the first I'd expect the spot wouldn't be handed to him and would have to battle it out in camp.

I might be off base but i disagree with your assesment about DC Smith. I get the feeling Kubiak know his talent is more in offense then defense and has tried to put together a solid defensive staff that knows what they are doing. From the sounds I've gotten position coaches are solid but I just don't get a sense at all what Smith wants to do other then get pressure from the front four which...oddly enough is what every defensive coordinator wants. You can harp on the lack of talent there and while that is a prevailing truth I'm just wondering if Smith needs pro bowlers at every position before we get a sense of what he wants to do. I get the impression it takes a HC to point out we need to be more agressive on defense and the difference is markedly noticeable afterwards. This trend has been for two season and i have a gut feeling, barring some large moves on defense through draft or FA, we'll see the same thing come start of next season.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why not use McKinney to groom the next replacement?
Well with the injuries and salary, I just never count on a player actually being there. Plus for some reason , I thought McKinney was injured last year as well, which I just looked up and he was not. He just was not starting like he should have been.
Old 01-21-2008   #34
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 64444 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Okay so I understand you saying we have 12 positions that need to be upgraded that's nothing new...but the real question is how many of those are actualy (or can be) upgraded through FA and the draft in one offseason! my guess is no team is going to be able to do that!
Why not, Texans have done it before.

2005 starting roster. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...005_roster.htm

2006 starting roster. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...006_roster.htm

In Kubiaks first year we changed, RB, WR, WR, DT, OLB, MLB, CB, FB, LT, C, RG, RT, DE, DE, TE.

Second year Kubiak changed, QB, WR, WR, RB, FB, C, OLB, DT, DE, CB, SS, FS, P.

26 different starters changing positions or fresh faces in the last two years.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #35
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Are you going to explain why that is funny to you Wesman? What Beerlover is saying makes sense, and while it may not work out that way it's possible.

Beerlover, I agree with you about Weaver and TJ. I think Weaver gets moved inside and platoons until next year to reduce his cap hit because as it stands right now his cap ht is HUGE. Everyone that is saying cut Weaver better get set for disappointment cause it probably wont happen.

Good post beerlover.
only at the multiple new running backs thing and the TJ being gone.... Tj was fine this year, all you hear from the players is that some cant believe its only his 3rd year, hes solid, people are haters thats why i laugh....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #36
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I'd hate to say this, I'm starting to think that the RB position will not have a new starter next year. I think the FO will hope that Green will come back healthy and produce, which allows them to trade down should Mendenhall or Stewart be available at the number 18 spot. LT SHOULD be upgraded, but I also have a sinking feeling that Salaam just might be the starting LT next year as well. Center will be different I think, whether it is Chris White, Greg Eslinger (my prediction), or a draft pick.

CB will be addressed during the offseason, but I again have the sinking feeling that Hutchins will be the starter for at least the first couple of games.

I know that we feel like the team needs to be improved at every position, but I just don't see us being able to address those needs with viable starters that will be immediate impact upgrades.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008   #37
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Oh...I voted on how many changes I think we need, not how many I think we'll fix.

What I think we need is (in no particular order):

1. Defensive End - Mario is turning into a damn good player, but we need somebody on the other end to help him out. Anthony Weaver doesn't pressure the QB at all.

2. Secondary - This can be either corner or safety. I think Will Demps will prove to be a solid FS, but we need an upgrade over CC Brown. Nobody knows how well Dunta is going to be once he comes back (probably not until 2009), so I think you'd have to add cornerback to the list as well.

3. Running back - I get tired of hearing people proclaim Darius Walker and Chris Taylor as the answer at this position. Taylor played all of one game in 2006 and was injured in all of 2007. I'm still waiting on a reasonable explanation as to why you think he can be our RB of the future. Walker played well last season, but I see him more of a change of pace back. I see him as a solid backup and not much more. Same for Dayne. I'd have no problems with drafting a running back in the 1st round.

4. Left Tackle - Salaam was not bad as our LT, but he wasn't good either. He's more of a solid backup but he played reasonably well last year. That said, he's not the long term answer. We've been waiting for a franchise LT since we came into the league and it's about damn time we get one.

5. Outside Linebacker - Greenwood and Clark played well at times last year, but we need a LB who can pressure the QB.

Now I don't think we'll get all of those fixed by next season. I do think we'll fix 3, maybe 4 of our needs however.
TexasSam........That is the most disturbing picture I've seen in months!! We should put that in the opponents locker room just to throw them off balance! haha.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read