Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: how many new starters
2 or less 2 3.70%
3 11 20.37%
4 9 16.67%
5 12 22.22%
6 11 20.37%
7 8 14.81%
8 or more 1 1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2008   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How many changes?

alright finishing up the 07 season this is generally accepted to be our strongest team... so how many changes do you think we'll see on opening day '08??

qb: schaub..... no sage arguments please
rb: green
wrs: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jacoby
te: daniels
lt: salaam
lg: pitts
c: mckinney
rg: weary/briesel
rt: winston
de's: mario, weaver
dt's: travis, amobi
olb's: greenwood, clark/anderson
mlb: meco
cb's: freddy, hutchins(obviously dunta wont be ready for opening day)
safeties: demps, ceandris

personally id like to see 8 but realistically i see 5 or maybe 6

Last edited by Maddict5; 01-20-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How many changes?

Until Kubiak and Rick Smith get all the right players for their system, I would expect more turnover in the starters for at least one or two more years. I would put money on six or seven new faces in the starting line up for the coming season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we're going to have a significant change in starters...at least come week 1. Obviously as the season goes on, we might have some different ones jump up.

New starters in Week 1:
1 on the offensive line (possibly 2?)
1 outside linebacker
1 secondary (cb?)

I don't see us getting any FA's or draft picks that would come in and start day 1 at these positions: QB, WR, FB, TE, DE, DT, MLB, RB. If we spend our 1st pick on a RB i could see it but I'm not sure of the chances of that AND I think Kubiak sticks with Green if he's healthy and throws in the rookie to.

We can def. use a lot of upgrades but I don't see us being able to get 6 new starters by week 1 in one offseason.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

RB - Thru the draft
C - Chris White or a FA
RG - Brisiel, Studdard, or a FA
DE - FA
SOLB - FA or Diles
CB - Thru the draft, maybe FA
SS - Brandon Harrison (remember him?)

Last edited by Lucky; 01-20-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Lucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

RB - Although I hope AG comes back strong, I have a bad feeling he won't. So I'm expecting someone other than AG to start game 1.

OL - I'm expecting Gibbs to shake this up something fierce. But I expect our tackles to be Winston and Salaam in the first game. The interior of the line is up for grabs. I expect at least 1 changes here, possibly 2.

DE - I don't think Weaver is starting next year.
DT - I don't think TJ is starting next year.

OLB - I expect 1 new starter. Not sure who or where.

CB - I expect 1 new starter.
S - I expect something to change in our safety situation.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #6
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

OT, Cb/saftey, and DE

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

FAs. Carlos Dansby and Randal Gay

o-line

OLT. Sam Baker or Collins- Salaam, Butler
LG. Erick Winston, Brisiel
C. Cody Wallace, Brandon Frye, White
RG. Studdard, Frye
RT.Spencer, Salaam

CBs Bennit - Gay

Safties

SS Boulware FS Demps/Harrison

LBS Draft pick - Demeco - Dansby

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-20-2008 at 02:50 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2008   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

o-line

RG. Studdard, Frye
RT.Spencer, Salaam

CBs Bennit - Gay

Safties

TTP, you voted for 3 changes and then in your explanation, you show more than 8.
Old 01-20-2008   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well we got people dreaming on the grey hound Rb with the eighteen...I can dream too. Just a guess.
Old 01-20-2008   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

lt, cb, s, rg, c, rb (if Green is can't make it back)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got two new players on the OL . I have a new CB and I think they'll have a new LB .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #12
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

at least 4: LT, RB (splitting carries if green can actually finish a game), CB, S
Old 01-20-2008   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
alright finishing up the 07 season this is generally accepted to be our strongest team... so how many changes do you think we'll see on opening day '08??
qb: schaub..... no sage arguments please - No argument but if Schaub can't stay healthy look for Sage to be named starter at some point.
rb: green - Gone. Running back completion during camp and Green loses his job, either he is cut or traded.
wrs: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jacoby - Still need that big play #2, we still have the same problem we have always had, an outstanding #1 and a bunch of #3's
te: daniels - Daniels better become a better blocker under Gibbs or he will find the fast track to the bench.
lt: salaam - Changed through the draft
lg: pitts - Competition between Studdard and Pitts. Depends on who fits Gibbs system the best.
c: mckinney - Gone. We are going to get younger here, either through FA or draft. Kubiak has expressed concerns in the past about White's size.
rg: weary/briesel - Kubiak was very impressed with Briesel and said after the season was over it would be hard to get that kid out of there. I don't expect Weary to be ready by training camp anyway, plus he might be another guy who does not fit Gibbs system.
rt: winston - Solid RT, future pro-bowler.
de's: mario, weaver - Weaver is gone, or should be, either moved to DT or cut.
dt's: travis, amobi - Travis is gone, or should be, lacks the size and strength to play his position
olb's: greenwood, clark/anderson - Gone, Gone, and is a special teamer. Prove me wrong. Greenwood benifits from Demeco's outstanding play, I have listed reasons in the past why I don't like him.
mlb: meco - Solidified in the middle
cb's: freddy, hutchins(obviously dunta wont be ready for opening day) - Bennitt and FA or draft pick. Hutchins couldn't cover a sofa. When teams realized that Bennitt is pretty good they went after Hutchins and did a pretty good job of making him look like Faggins.
safeties: demps, ceandris - Demps and a FA or draft pick.

I see 12 positions that still need to be upgraded to take the next step.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #14
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

is D-Rob out next year for sure or wat?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
is D-Rob out next year for sure or wat?
He might be able to come back mid to late season. Maybe.
Old 01-20-2008   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He might be able to come back mid to late season. Maybe.
but the fact that they're aiming dor mid-season now means we should be aiming for late season AT BEST..

am I the only that thinks we can read alot into our offseason moves

imo if we pay a big FA cb or draft a first rd cb, we shouldn't be optimistic at all

if its just a 'guy' in FA or a mid rounder, i think that shows they expect him to recover properly and pretty quickly
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

FYI (this move ran under the radar, but at least interesting),

Chukky Okobi was signed by the Texans as a center. Originally drafted in the 5th round in 2001 Steelers), he worked his way up to be considered for the Steelers starting center position after their starter retired. He lost that opportunity after having what was thought to be a career ending neck injury in camp (2006). Surgery was undertaken, coaching changes occurred and he was released subsequently by the Steelers. The Cardinals were decimated with center injuries when they picked Okobi up in 2007 and subsequently released within a month. He's a good size for a center in the Gibbs system.

BTW, his full name is...........Chukwunweze Sonume "Chukky" Okobi..............Chukky's baaaaaaack............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
qb: schaub..... no sage arguments please - No argument but if Schaub can't stay healthy look for Sage to be named starter at some point.
rb: green - Gone. Running back completion during camp and Green loses his job, either he is cut or traded.
wrs: AJ, Walter, Davis, Jacoby - Still need that big play #2, we still have the same problem we have always had, an outstanding #1 and a bunch of #3's
te: daniels - Daniels better become a better blocker under Gibbs or he will find the fast track to the bench.
lt: salaam - Changed through the draft
lg: pitts - Competition between Studdard and Pitts. Depends on who fits Gibbs system the best.
c: mckinney - Gone. We are going to get younger here, either through FA or draft. Kubiak has expressed concerns in the past about White's size.
rg: weary/briesel - Kubiak was very impressed with Briesel and said after the season was over it would be hard to get that kid out of there. I don't expect Weary to be ready by training camp anyway, plus he might be another guy who does not fit Gibbs system.
rt: winston - Solid RT, future pro-bowler.
de's: mario, weaver - Weaver is gone, or should be, either moved to DT or cut.
dt's: travis, amobi - Travis is gone, or should be, lacks the size and strength to play his position
olb's: greenwood, clark/anderson - Gone, Gone, and is a special teamer. Prove me wrong. Greenwood benifits from Demeco's outstanding play, I have listed reasons in the past why I don't like him.
mlb: meco - Solidified in the middle
cb's: freddy, hutchins(obviously dunta wont be ready for opening day) - Bennitt and FA or draft pick. Hutchins couldn't cover a sofa. When teams realized that Bennitt is pretty good they went after Hutchins and did a pretty good job of making him look like Faggins.
safeties: demps, ceandris - Demps and a FA or draft pick.

I see 12 positions that still need to be upgraded to take the next step.
Okay so I understand you saying we have 12 positions that need to be upgraded that's nothing new...but the real question is how many of those are actualy (or can be) upgraded through FA and the draft in one offseason! my guess is no team is going to be able to do that!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

o-line

RG. Studdard, Frye
RT.Spencer, Salaam

CBs Bennit - Gay

Safties

I know you're a line guy ...so why move Winston to gaurd when he was the most consistant player on the line by far this year?

I'm also not putting my money on Spencer returning AND getting his playing weight down. I really do hope he gets back....would bea true shame to have such a promising career taken away like that. That said IF he makes it back that's icing on the cake for this team.

I totally agree with the Center assesment. Would love to se Dansby on this team too. Especially if we're content to having Smith as our D coordinator.I'm also curious to see what Harrison could bring to the table. Gay or trufant would be good picks on the outside especially with Dunta's status uncertain.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #20
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 89864 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

No love for my guy TJ?..

You guys will see. TJ will make believers out of you yet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read