Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2008 NFL Draft Preview: Houston Texans' Wishlist

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...on_texans.html

Quote:
With the 18th pick in the 1st round, Houston can target one of the following players: Rashard Mendhall (RB, Illinois), Jonathan Stewart (RB, Oregon), Sam Baker (OL, USC) and Felix Jones (RB, Arkansas). Any of the three running backs would inject the offense with more big-play capabilities, while Baker would instantly upgrade Houston's line.

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, Houston can find value with offensive linemen in this deep draft class. Gosder Cherilus (Boston College), Carl Nicks (Nebraska) and Anthony Collins (Kansas) are all strong choices. Another set of options is at cornerback. Terrelle Thomas (USC) and Branden Flowers (Virginia Tech), both ballhawks in the secondary.
he messed up there with the 2nd round talk
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 NFL Draft Preview: Houston Texans' Wishlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...on_texans.html

he messed up there with the 2nd round talk
or maybe he accidently let the cat out of the bag & has some inside knowledge that the Texans are intent on trading down
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

That's what the board looks like to me...I have no insider info. They've got four holes and currently two picks to fill them.
Old 01-17-2008   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

If we take a running back in the first round we are going to have some catching up to do. I just don't see it happening because of the depth of the position in this draft.

If we go offense in the first, I hope it is a left tackle. Salaam is ok for now but he is getting older and we still need an upgrade over him to solidify the left side of our line. Eslinger makes me think twice about a center. Maybe I am putting too much faith in his college play and potential.

Brandon Flowers could be there in the 3rd round but what other corners could we take in the third? Terrelle Thomas won't be there IMO.

We still need safety help. Boulware got very little play time last year and there are rumors about the Texans looking at him for a linebacker. Our depth at safety is pretty bad after Demps and CC Brown. Maybe we can pick up a guy like Steltz or Silva with that 3rd rounder. Another guy I like is Quintin Demps. He plays for UTEP.

If we make a move on secondary I think it needs to be in the first or the third. I don't see alot of depth in the secondary this year. We've got to get early production out of our rookie secondary, unless we make solid free agent pickups.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 01-17-2008 at 03:04 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like annually there are more RBs than LTs in first three rounds of draft. That seems to say we should go for the sure fire LT.
Old 01-17-2008   #6
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

No mention of looking at the secondary in the first round??

I think it is far more likely we take a CB or FS than a RB in round one.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 201896 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
No mention of looking at the secondary in the first round??

I think it is far more likely we take a CB or FS than a RB in round one.
CB might be addressed in free agency and if re-signed, we have a FS that is an alternate to Pro Bowl. Neither position is a draft urgency.
Old 01-17-2008   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

lots of really good talent will be available for Houston at #18 at the most important positions of need.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #9
ItsAMarioParty
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden coverItsAMarioParty could be on the next Madden cover

if we take sam baker at 18 i will be extremely disappointed. definite reach unless he really really impresses at the combine
ItsAMarioParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
CB might be addressed in free agency and if re-signed, we have a FS that is an alternate to Pro Bowl. Neither position is a draft urgency.
I believe Demps may be a Free Agent though and he has had some injury issues as well. We have to improve our secondary more than any other aspect of our team and its not the deepest year for DB talent. Phillips is probably the one guy who could be there at #18 who could make the biggest impact for our team in '08. I think it would be a great pick. We gotta do something about the secondary. We need to have the mindset that Dunta aint gonna be back this year that way anything he does give us would be a bonus.

The fact that this draft 'guru' didn't even know we sacrificed our 08 2nd Round pick for Schaub isn't much of a 'guru'.

My Wishlist (in order): CB, RB, FS, C, T
Old 01-18-2008   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I believe Demps may be a Free Agent though and he has had some injury issues as well. We have to improve our secondary more than any other aspect of our team and its not the deepest year for DB talent. Phillips is probably the one guy who could be there at #18 who could make the biggest impact for our team in '08. I think it would be a great pick. We gotta do something about the secondary. We need to have the mindset that Dunta aint gonna be back this year that way anything he does give us would be a bonus.

The fact that this draft 'guru' didn't even know we sacrificed our 08 2nd Round pick for Schaub isn't much of a 'guru'.

My Wishlist (in order): CB, RB, FS, C, T
The only bad thing about this draft is there's Kenny Phillips, and then some other guys and that's it for either S position. I hope Phillips is there, because I like him better than I do Aquib Tali at corner, but good FS's tend to get picked up early. I think Will Demps would make a better SS due to his ability to hit, and his ability to only be ok in coverage.

This guy who wrote this piece just didn't really do any good research about what the Texans need, and what they have to work with in the draft.

I think most of the mocks that I've read have us getting Jonathan Stewart in the 1st round (I'd say 80% of the mocks I've read have this) and after that it's a mixture of an OLT, or a CB, with a few of them having us pick either Rivers or Connor at LB.

Suffice to say, none of those picks really piss me off which is good.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read