Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-17-2008   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Garrett to stay in Dallas

Quote:
Dallas head coach Wade Phillips has been informed that Jason Garrett will turn down head coaching opportunities with the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens and remain as the offensive coordinator for the Cowboys, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder.

A source credits owner Jerry Jones with convincing Garrett to remain in Dallas: "This is huge because changing systems right now would have been really tough on Tony [Romo]."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3200822
Old 01-17-2008   #2
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Garrett to stay in Dallas

Great!
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
YES!!I'm assuming he is getting a little below head coach money now and was promised a future offer. I also think Baltimore and Atlanta were not popular options due to offensive limitations.
Old 01-17-2008   #4
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear he's getting 5 mil a year.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #5
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry doesn't have a problem paying his talent.
Old 01-17-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
YES!!I'm assuming he is getting a little below head coach money now and was promised a future offer. I also think Baltimore and Atlanta were not popular options due to offensive limitations.
According to the article, Baltimore was only offering a little under 3 mill.

Quote:
It is believed the Ravens formally offered Garrett their head coach job, at a salary of less than $3 million annually
I assume he'll be treated with a substantial raise for staying in Dallas.

My question is: Is he really worth all this attention?
Old 01-17-2008   #7
austintexanite
All Pro

I wonder what Wade will do, or if this will cause some friction in the locker room/coach meetings.
Old 01-17-2008   #8
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
I wonder what Wade will do, or if this will cause some friction in the locker room/coach meetings.
Why? Garrett is good and I would think he deserves the salary offered and it shouldn't have anything to do with Wade's salary package. It could be a situation that Garrett is being groomed to take the HC position when Wade retires, or as a good OC building on that to move into an HC position that he would not inherit the coaching problems that he would have faced had he accepted the position at either Atlanta or Baltimore.
Old 01-17-2008   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not an authority on his Garretts qualifications, but from a business standpoint, this has to be a very awkward situation for Little Bum.

I'm sure cowboys fans will put a positive spin on all of this, but it is just unconventional IMO.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #10
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I'm not an authority on his Garretts qualifications, but from a business standpoint, this has to be a very awkward situation for Little Bum.

I'm sure cowboys fans will put a positive spin on all of this, but it is just unconventional IMO.
Why would it be awkward, seriously. My comments were not meant as a spin, rather an understanding how the two salaries could be close. Over the years I have worked in situations where certain executives had higher salaries than their manager. A lot of components went in to how, and why, and no one appeared to resent it.
Old 01-17-2008   #11
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade Phillips is a babysitter. Parcells built that team, but the primadonna ego-maniacs on the team couldn't handle his personality. Now Phillips tucks them into bed every night, reads them a story, and tells them how stupendously wonderful they all are before giving them a little kiss on the forehead and pulling the sheets up under their chins. Changing T.O.'s diaper must be quite a task.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #12
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintexanite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Why? Garrett is good and I would think he deserves the salary offered and it shouldn't have anything to do with Wade's salary package. It could be a situation that Garrett is being groomed to take the HC position when Wade retires, or as a good OC building on that to move into an HC position that he would not inherit the coaching problems that he would have faced had he accepted the position at either Atlanta or Baltimore.
He had a great start but started to slow down in the last month of the season. For the record, I do think he is a good coach, but I think everyone jumps the gun on coordinators after one year. I think it will cause some distractions because it's pretty much a shoe in that Garrett will take over the Cowboys in the future and Wade will be out. People will be calling for his head if the Cowboys don't start strong and the media circus will once again begin.
Old 01-17-2008   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Why would it be awkward, seriously. My comments were not meant as a spin, rather an understanding how the two salaries could be close. Over the years I have worked in situations where certain executives had higher salaries than their manager. A lot of components went in to how, and why, and no one appeared to resent it.
Sorry but you do understand Wade has to look over his shoulder every day and see Garrett waiting for him to slip just enough that he gets fired and Garrett is promoted but if you think that is not awkward then fine but the rest of the world understand how things work.

Seriously, if an employee is paid more than a manager (in the business world) he will have less respect for the manager because he would know who is worth more to the company.
Old 01-17-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Watch your back, Wade!

Here's to the Cowboys having winning seasons but choking out early in the playoffs under Phillips. I like him, but can't root for his team. But if he's winning, ol' wrinkle skin won't be able to fire him without looking like a doofus. The first losing season, though, and Wade will be looking for employment elsewhere.
Old 01-17-2008   #15
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Was Garrett really that good with the Dolphins? It's a risky move by Garrett since hot candidates always come up and your chance may be passed up. Jerry might instead to opt for the next hotshot. Gregg Williams at WSH was given a super high salary and a wink wink to be the next head coach. Let's see if he gets that.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #16
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry has always been a huge Garrett fan...that did not begin this year.

I think Wade is secure enough as a person to handle it...he has said that he wanted somebody to handle the offense exclusively and that's what Jason does so it's really status quo...nothing changes.

And he's been a coach for so many years that if he's looking over his shoulder and worrying about what other coaches are doing he's really quite naive. That's a turnstile profession if there ever was one.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

simply a great move by Jones no matter how you slice it. he gets his cake and eats it too.

coaching is the big equalizer in the NFL and you can have all the talent in the world but if your coaching sucks, you wont win in this league. You can have mediocre talent and if your coaching is good, you can still get things done (see Jacksonville)

its all about the coaching
Old 01-18-2008   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
Jerry has always been a huge Garrett fan...that did not begin this year.

I think Wade is secure enough as a person to handle it...he has said that he wanted somebody to handle the offense exclusively and that's what Jason does so it's really status quo...nothing changes.

And he's been a coach for so many years that if he's looking over his shoulder and worrying about what other coaches are doing he's really quite naive. That's a turnstile profession if there ever was one.
This is true. And considering that his former HC in San Diego was fired after a winning season, he knows it's just part of the business.

I just want anarchy in the FO of our northern neighbor, that's all.
Old 01-18-2008   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This is true. And considering that his former HC in San Diego was fired after a winning season, he knows it's just part of the business.

I just want anarchy in the FO of our northern neighbor, that's all.
Ha! Well I have confidence that Wade is a secure man and knows the ways of coaching..having done it for so long. In the simplest of terms I think he has a bunch of good ole common sense and knows that Jerry has every intention of one day giving his job to Jason.

Jason was hired BEFORE Wade if I remember right. Wade didn't even get to pick his own OC. So he knows the way this is all gonna pan out.

And I am hearing the Cowboys are going to be hiring Hudson Houck to replace Sparano. Rehire I should say. He's been there before.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Watch your back, Wade!

The first losing season, though, and Wade will be looking for employment elsewhere.
It won't take a losing season. If they don't win a play-off game next year, Wade is gone. Heck, they'd have to win the Super Bowl for Wade to continue on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read