Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-16-2008   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default PFT: Dungy Out as Head Coach of Colts

POSTED 2:06 p.m. EST, January 16, 2008

DUNGY OUT, CALDWELL IN

A league source tells us that Colts coach Tony Dungy will step down, and that assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell will take the reins.

More to come.

Link

Last edited by Lucky; 01-16-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Inserted link. How hard was that?
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #2
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: PFT: Dungy Out as Head Coach of Colts

well, shit.
Old 01-16-2008   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected

link?
Old 01-16-2008   #4
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

closest thing i could find was a piece by clayton from 3 days ago:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ohn&id=3195151

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- The defending champion Indianapolis Colts lost more than a playoff game on Sunday to the San Diego Chargers. The vibe coming out of the Colts' locker room following their devastating 28-24 loss to the Chargers was that Tony Dungy might have coached his last game. As expected, fans said goodbye to the RCA Dome on Sunday -- a new stadium is rising in the dome's parking lot and opens this summer. Dungy, meanwhile, wouldn't say anything Sunday night about his coaching future. He will continue his discussions with owner Jim Irsay about returning next season, but he's probably going to say goodbye this week. "We love coach Dungy,'' safety Bob Sanders said. "We definitely want him around here. I don't know the situation. I don't know what's going to go on. We'll know and we'll see.''
"He's a great coach and a great person,'' cornerback Kelvin Hayden said. "I really don't know to give a call on it. I hope he does come back. He didn't say anything after the game. We don't know. I'm concerned about it because he's the guy who brought me in.''
Some assistant coaches were teary-eyed as they left the RCA Dome. They sensed Dungy could be stepping down. He hasn't even said anything to the coaches who have been around him the longest. They honestly don't know. Two years ago when Dungy lost his son to a suicide, everyone sensed he wanted to continue coaching. He did and the Colts won a Super Bowl last February.
Maybe the thought of losing Dungy short-circuited the Colts against the Chargers. (wah wah.) The Colts pride themselves on efficiency, but their offense made many uncharacteristic mistakes.
Old 01-16-2008   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it's on PFT.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
link?
http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

It is stricktly a rumor at the moment.
Old 01-16-2008   #7
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65087 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll wait for an ESPN or CNNSI to report it...then I'll believe it.

I actually think it's true, but would rather wait for the mainstream media to go on record before I comment...

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2008   #8
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I'll wait for an ESPN or CNNSI to report it...then I'll believe it.

I actually think it's true, but would rather wait for the mainstream media to go on record before I comment...
ya, but for some speculation should that excite texans fans or sadden us/? i personally am siked because he is one hell of a ball coach and am glad we wont have to face him.... what yall think?

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
ya, but for some speculation should that excite texans fans or sadden us/? i personally am siked because he is one hell of a ball coach and am glad we wont have to face him.... what yall think?
Thats true.

But I dont care how much you hate the Colts, you have to respect Tony Dungy and its sad to see him go.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #10
austintexanite
All Pro

Not too shocked to hear this, but he was a good coach.
Old 01-16-2008   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Sad to see one of the best coaches in the NFL leave. He seemed like a pretty good guy too

Assuming it's true

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless he's taking Peyton, Freeney and Bob Sanders I don't care. He's a good coach, but those players make the Colts go.

No news here...carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #13
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Unless he's taking Peyton, Freeney and Bob Sanders I don't care. He's a good coach, but those players make the Colts go.

No news here...carry on.
It could be the first loose thread that finally unravels the Colts, probably not next season but it will be sooner with Dungy gone. I won't be sad to see one of the best coaches in the league leave our division.
swisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #14
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Dungy leaving is gonna make Manning look like David Carr.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he'd want one year in the new stadium.
GuerillaBlack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #16
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

when/where are the keggers celebrating the eventual softening of our division planned?
Old 01-16-2008   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
I don't think Dungy leaving is gonna make Manning look like David Carr.
No it won't. It might have an effect on their defense however and I simply can't bring myself to believe that any team that loses a coach like Tony Dungy would be no worse for doing so.

Anything that weakens the Colts in any way is a good thing.
Old 01-16-2008   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisher View Post
It could be the first loose thread that finally unravels the Colts, probably not next season but it will be sooner with Dungy gone. I won't be sad to see one of the best coaches in the league leave our division.
It's not like Caldwell will be a spring chicken to that organization. Polian is still one of the better GMs and they'll still have continuity within the organization. Peyton and crew are still going to be there and what concerns me even more....they were 13-3 while still injury bitten and LOT of the younger guys got PT this year. Just strengthens their depth.

All that said it is kind of sad to see one of the classier coaches retire.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #19
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Losing your Head Coach is a big thing, I don't think you can just assume they will continue to be as good as they were if he leaves.

Because a good Coach instills a mentality in his team, gives his team a identity.

Yes they still have good players but still the Coach is a main reason they were winning, because he had everybody playing the best they could.

You look at Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy, they both have their players playing at a consistently high level. I bet if Mario Williams played with the Pats, he'd probably get 15+ sacks a year and break records...because Belichick seems to be the guy that always harps on a guy 'No, you can play better than this.' All you hear from the Pats when they win is that they can still do better.

Just look at our change, before Kubiak our guys would completely give up down by 10 points or more. At least now we still fight (some weeks) we don't lay down easy no more and the mentality of this team has been slowly changing.

A coaching change is a pretty big change and if Dungy leaves I wouldn't be suprised if the Colts didn't win the division that year.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
No it won't. It might have an effect on their defense however and I simply can't bring myself to believe that any team that loses a coach like Tony Dungy would be no worse for doing so.

Anything that weakens the Colts in any way is a good thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Losing your Head Coach is a big thing, I don't think you can just assume they will continue to be as good as they were if he leaves.

Because a good Coach instills a mentality in his team, gives his team a identity.

Yes they still have good players but still the Coach is a main reason they were winning, because he had everybody playing the best they could.

You look at Bill Belichick and Tony Dungy, they both have their players playing at a consistently high level. I bet if Mario Williams played with the Pats, he'd probably get 15+ sacks a year and break records...because Belichick seems to be the guy that always harps on a guy 'No, you can play better than this.' All you hear from the Pats when they win is that they can still do better.

Just look at our change, before Kubiak our guys would completely give up down by 10 points or more. At least now we still fight (some weeks) we don't lay down easy no more and the mentality of this team has been slowly changing.

A coaching change is a pretty big change and if Dungy leaves I wouldn't be suprised if the Colts didn't win the division that year.

Signed,

2007 Dallas Cowboys
2007 San Diego Chargers
2007 Pittsburgh Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read