Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default sad but true on 2008 season

Remember at the start of last season, many thought we could have a better team and not advance much in win loss column? Same could be true next year. We could get LT,CB, RB, OLB and a free safety in off season; resign our probowl FS alternate Demps; sign our free agent WR/returner Andre Davis; have our injured guys back and have a less injury filled season and still be out of play offs.

Having said that, I am the type that doesn't focus as much on the Ws as the play of the team. Less injuries alone would offer a much more enjoyable season and allow us to see our first string match up with others. The QB sack total dropping is awesome and may even improve this year. Sage has played enough to convince me our QB position is well manned and we go into the season without wide receiver being thought of as a weak position. I think that might open up the offense a bit more at first of season.

I think the team as a whole has even more confidence in Kubiac. We know we can trust Ric Smith to bring in guys during the year if needed to shore up positions. And who does not get excited when a punt or kick off is coming to the special teams?
Old 01-16-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: sad but true on 2008 season

I think it's realistic of us to expect a winning season next year, but odds of being in the playoffs are just a tad higher. Although it would be very nice.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #3
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Remember at the start of last season, many thought we could have a better team and not advance much in win loss column? Same could be true next year. We could get LT,CB, RB, OLB and a free safety in off season; resign our probowl FS alternate Demps; sign our free agent WR/returner Andre Davis; have our injured guys back and have a less injury filled season and still be out of play offs.

Having said that, I am the type that doesn't focus as much on the Ws as the play of the team. Less injuries alone would offer a much more enjoyable season and allow us to see our first string match up with others. The QB sack total dropping is awesome and may even improve this year. Sage has played enough to convince me our QB position is well manned and we go into the season without wide receiver being thought of as a weak position. I think that might open up the offense a bit more at first of season.

I think the team as a whole has even more confidence in Kubiac. We know we can trust Ric Smith to bring in guys during the year if needed to shore up positions. And who does not get excited when a punt or kick off is coming to the special teams?
if we can NOT TURN THE BALL OVER..... theres no reason but injuries that we shouldnt go 10-6 to 12-4

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

We need to win more division games, at least every division game we play at home. Going 1-5 really hurt us in the end and if we do that every year, pretty good chance we will never make the playoffs.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #5
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to agree with Badboy to some extent. I think we made strides last year and will continue to make strides next year but our record may not show much improvement and we may not make the playoffs. We are still don't have much depth at any position except WR and our o-line took a huge beating last year (injuries).

I will say, I have faith in Richard Smith (GM) and Kubiak to do a good job. I like what I've seen from them thus far and think that we will continue to improve, slow though it may be.

You have to remember that when these fellas took over we had a very under talented team with little to no cap space and a huge amount of dead money on the roster. Baring a blockbuster trade for someone like AJ, were we got a ton of draft choices, the turn around was going to be slow. This offseason we are estimated to have somewhere between $$23 to $35 million under the cap and I think Smith will make some moves but spend it wisely.

Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #6
wicked_wayz
all blacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
if we can NOT TURN THE BALL OVER..... theres no reason but injuries that we shouldnt go 10-6 to 12-4
going for 12-4 aint impossible but it doesn't help when we are in the nfl's toughest division
Old 01-16-2008   #7
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't see why this team won't be able to compete for a playoff spot. We were a couple plays away from getting that final spot and if we can improve a few spots, we should be contenders for a spot. If we can keep the turnovers down and get a little help on the injury front, we should be 9-7 to 11-5 next season.

ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2008   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Or you could get a LT,CB, RB, OLB and a free safety in off season; re-sign our probowl FS alternate Demps; sign our free agent WR/returner Andre Davis; have our injured guys back and have a less injury filled season.....and go 12-4.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #9
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_wayz View Post
going for 12-4 aint impossible but it doesn't help when we are in the nfl's toughest division
fur sure, but its if everything goes right...... if we split the division thats 10-6, and 1 more wins this year in atlanta and maybe clevland wed be at 11.... one more might be much to ask but doable.... im not expectin 12 wins by any means but i wont be suprised if we get 12...... 13 and ill be suprised...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #10
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152338 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think it's realistic of us to expect a winning season next year, but odds of being in the playoffs are just a tad higher. Although it would be very nice.
We need more than one division win. I will be very impressed with the Texans if they can take a game off of each division opponent.

There's a lot to be said for teams going out with some momentum. Guys didn't give up and they played well at the end of the season, which bodes well for next year. GB entered their offseason last year with some growing momentum, so we could very well trend upward like these guys did. Two years ago they were staring at like 5 wins? Then I think they were close to .500 a year ago and look at them this season.

Would anyone be disappointed if we could trend upwards like GB? Do y'all think that's an apt comparison?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #11
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90373 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

QB play may still hold the team back next year

Sage isn't exactly the poster boy for consistency
Schaub can get put out for 4 weeks by a strong breeze
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I tend to agree with Badboy to some extent. I think we made strides last year and will continue to make strides next year but our record may not show much improvement and we may not make the playoffs. We are still don't have much depth at any position except WR and our o-line took a huge beating last year (injuries).

I will say, I have faith in Richard Smith (GM) and Kubiak to do a good job. I like what I've seen from them thus far and think that we will continue to improve, slow though it may be.

You have to remember that when these fellas took over we had a very under talented team with little to no cap space and a huge amount of dead money on the roster. Baring a blockbuster trade for someone like AJ, were we got a ton of draft choices, the turn around was going to be slow. This offseason we are estimated to have somewhere between $$23 to $35 million under the cap and I think Smith will make some moves but spend it wisely.

Rick Smith = GM
Richard Smith = Defensive coordinator

I think the biggest improvement from year 1 of Kubiak to year 2 was knowing the personnel better. They will be trying to replace make-do guys with guys who could start for any NFL team.
Old 01-17-2008   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Based upon the injury stats of every season so far, when making future W-L predictions, injuries should be calculated.

Take your original W-L prediction, subtract at least 3 wins to account for the injuries. For instance, I predicted 10-6 barring injuries. It was 8-8.

For 2008, barring injuries, 11-5. Subtract 3 wins for injuries, my prediction is 8-8 again, or 9-7.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
We need more than one division win. I will be very impressed with the Texans if they can take a game off of each division opponent.

There's a lot to be said for teams going out with some momentum. Guys didn't give up and they played well at the end of the season, which bodes well for next year. GB entered their offseason last year with some growing momentum, so we could very well trend upward like these guys did. Two years ago they were staring at like 5 wins? Then I think they were close to .500 a year ago and look at them this season.

Would anyone be disappointed if we could trend upwards like GB? Do y'all think that's an apt comparison?
Agreed about our division. We need to at least go .500 in our division if we want a playoff shot.

I think GB is a great comparison. Last year I beleive they went on a late season surge to finish at 8-8. Lots of momentum going into the offseason...Made a very unexpected draft pick(Harrell much like Okoye) but looked like they were getting what McCarthy was talking about. The defense has looked great and Brett has enough belief in his WR corps this year to play like he has.

Before McCarthy...not sure if either the team was on a slow downfall under Sherman or a lot of the talent they invested in started showing out and producing under McCarthy. Not saying we'll go 13-3 and by any means. But with some smart moves this team could make that move from .500 to playoffs this coming year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

The things you mentioned about not so good players and cap are facts. Also, Smith and Kubes had to deal with changing the attitude of the team. Many players came from winning teams only to land with a perpetual loser. I think the present mind set is not only they can win but should. I think Gibbs will only add to this confidence and that will translate to on the field performance. I really liked what Schaub did after he was signed. He made sure he fit in and bonded quickly. Especially with Andre Johnson. Last off season I thought what ever the moves were in FA or draft, it would still leave gaping holes and it did. This year there is a strong possiblity that all significant holes can be addressed in one form or another and that does not include possibilites coming from the IR.

One thing very different this off season for me. No matter what player Kubes drafts, I am not going to say "Demeco who? or You took a Mario Williams when a solid LT and RB were available? Or you took another Dlineman (Okoye)? I am going to nod my head sagely at whomever it is and say "Yep, just what I was thinking. Good move."
Old 01-17-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
I honestly don't see why this team won't be able to compete for a playoff spot. We were a couple plays away from getting that final spot and if we can improve a few spots, we should be contenders for a spot. If we can keep the turnovers down and get a little help on the injury front, we should be 9-7 to 11-5 next season.

We were not too many plays away from being 4-12 also.
Old 01-17-2008   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Or you could get a LT,CB, RB, OLB and a free safety in off season; re-sign our probowl FS alternate Demps; sign our free agent WR/returner Andre Davis; have our injured guys back and have a less injury filled season.....and go 12-4.
Isn't there supposed to be a "the" between free safety in (the) off season? I mean it is extremely relevant to the conversation and no one can be expected to understand your thoughts unless you put every "-" in.
Old 01-17-2008   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isn't there supposed to be a "the" between free safety in (the) off season? I mean it is extremely relevant to the conversation and no one can be expected to understand your thoughts unless you put every "-" in.
There is a HUGE relevant difference between them; link:

Re-Sign
1. to sign again.
2. to renew or extend a contract

Resign
1. to give up an office or position, often formally (often fol. by from): to resign from the presidency.
2. to submit; yield: to resign before the inevitable.
3. to give up (an office, position, etc.), often formally.
4. to relinquish (a right, claim, agreement, etc.).
5. to give or sign over, as to the control or care of another: She resigned her child to an adoption agency.
6. to submit (oneself, one's mind, etc.) without resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Injuries and turnovers are the key elements to me. Next season if any team that made the playoffs lose a QB, CB, WR, two centers, two RBs,offensive guard, starting SS then back up strong safety, etc they might not be in playoffs next year. We keep all those healthy while others go through what we have, Super Bowl!
Old 01-17-2008   #20
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84321 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
There is a HUGE relevant difference between them; link:

Re-Sign
1. to sign again.
2. to renew or extend a contract

Resign
1. to give up an office or position, often formally (often fol. by from): to resign from the presidency.
2. to submit; yield: to resign before the inevitable.
3. to give up (an office, position, etc.), often formally.
4. to relinquish (a right, claim, agreement, etc.).
5. to give or sign over, as to the control or care of another: She resigned her child to an adoption agency.
6. to submit (oneself, one's mind, etc.) without resistance.
you mean like our SS should resign as opposed to our FS who we should re-sign?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read