Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-16-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Best Trade Down Scenero

Brain racking time to put your best trade down scenero this coming April on file, then we can revisit come draft day & all get a laugh

Here is one possiblity. IMO

Texans trade with Dallas (who have two 1st rd. picks) exchange #18 for #29 & pick up Dallas 2nd rd. pick. don't know for sure the rotation on the picks (based on ties) after the 1st rd. but if needed the teams could also swap 3rd picks to even out the deal.

Dallas picks

#18 (900) need the best cb available that drives the trade-up for them.

1a. Mike Jenkins, CB 1b. Reggie Smith, CB 1c. Aqib Talib

#22 (not included in this trade) need a RB I'm not sold on Barber & Julius is probably gone.

1a. Richard Mendenhall, RB 1b. Jonathan Stewart, RB 1c. Felix Jones, RB

#82 (180) Saftey is a concern, Roy Williams is a liability in coverage & penalties. could also address WR if one falls.

3a. Marcus Griffen, DB 3b. Adrian Arrington, WR 3c. Craig Steltz, SS

= 1080

Texans picks

#29 (640) Can address OL who fits ZBS late 1st rd. with depth of class.

1a. Michael Oher, LT 1b. Sam Baker, OT 1c. Chris Williams, OT

#69 (292) The crux of the trade down for the Texans is to have a 2nd rd. pick & get immediate help/upgrade @ RB.

2a. Chris Johnson, RB 2b. Ray Rice, RB 2c. James Davis, RB

#93 (128) Smith/Texans will pay & aquire a CB in FA, they have to because of Duntas situation & you never know in a razor thin draft class @ CB who will be available. if the players listed above (Dallas options) are available & they fail in FA to aquire a CB they may stand pat & take one themselves.

3a. Terrell Thomas, CB 3b. Darnell Terrell, CB 3c. Trae Williams, CB

= 1060

beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best Trade Down Scenero

Trading down always sounds good but I don't think moving up to #18 is going to make Dallas give up a 2nd rounder with the depth out there this year. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I don't believe it adds up.

Also, everyone claims Dallas needs RB. Did you guys see Barber the other day?He is their #1 back and has been for 2 years without starting. Julius is gone and they also still have Tyson Thompson, whom many say is as good as Julius despite limited duties late in the season. The problem there is that he has only returned kicks and was inactive late in the season. We will see.

Dallas will go CB but needs WR also since TO and Glenn are old. They have no young stud WRs at this time.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't think Oher is going to be there at 29. In fact, I'm not so sure he is going to be available at 18 after the combine and his pro day.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

don't really see a reason for Dallas to move up a few spots at this point.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
don't really see a reason for Dallas to move up a few spots at this point.
sorry, but did you just say moving up over 11 teams is just a few spots in the 1st rd.
Old 01-16-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I don't think Oher is going to be there at 29. In fact, I'm not so sure he is going to be available at 18 after the combine and his pro day.
this is all fine & well I'm not arguing the point but did you notice picks 1b. & 1c.
Old 01-16-2008   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Trading down always sounds good but I don't think moving up to #18 is going to make Dallas give up a 2nd rounder with the depth out there this year. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I don't believe it adds up.
numbers are included
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2008   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
numbers are included
Sorry, didn't see them. I still don't think they would do it on a pure depth of this draft standpoint. They are usually ones trying to move down and collect picks.
Old 01-16-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Sorry, didn't see them. I still don't think they would do it on a pure depth of this draft standpoint. They are usually ones trying to move down and collect picks.
I don't disagree with that statement, but you know regardless trade down sceneros will be speculated, I just wanted a thread for people to post their ideal, realistic collective best case sceneros then we can come back @ a latter time & see actually what if any happened
Old 01-16-2008   #10
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brain racking time to put your best trade down scenero this coming April on file, then we can revisit come draft day & all get a laugh

Texans trade with Dallas (who have two 1st rd. picks) exchange #18 for #29 & pick up Dallas 2nd rd. pick. don't know for sure the rotation on the picks (based on ties) after the 1st rd. but if needed the teams could also swap 3rd picks to even out the deal.

Dallas picks

#22 (not included in this trade) need a RB I'm not sold on Barber & Julius is probably gone.

#82 (180) Saftey is a concern, Roy Williams is a liability in coverage & penalties. could also address WR if one falls.

= 1080

Texans picks

#69 (292) The crux of the trade down for the Texans is to have a 2nd rd. pick & get immediate help/upgrade @ RB.

#93 (128) Smith/Texans will pay & aquire a CB in FA, they have to because of Duntas situation & you never know in a razor thin draft class @ CB who will be available. if the players listed above (Dallas options) are available & they fail in FA to aquire a CB they may stand pat & take one themselves.

= 1060

If it pans out that way I'd be happy.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

To me a best trade down scenario would involve someone within 5 picks below Texans that just have to have that one guy that we might draft ourselves or those teams between the two trading teams. Our trading partner hates to do it but is sold that guy is just what they must have and offer a 2nd round. What I don't know is what teams have two second round selections and what are they.
Old 01-16-2008   #12
Texas4Some
Rookie

Any big names out there for Offensive Lineman that could come in and be a starter.
Texas4Some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

the top cb prospects are on a short list. teams that have a dire need in this area if unsuccessful in free agency will look to then fill via the draft. that is probably the only reason why Dallas would consider trading down, if the guy they really, really want is still on the board @ #18 & they know the Texans might just take him themselves.
Old 01-16-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Dallas picks

= 1080

Texans picks

= 1060

The idea seems plausible but I'm wondering what is it about Barber that you aren't sold on?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
The idea seems plausible but I'm wondering what is it about Barber that you aren't sold on?
you need a fleet of RB's these days & two that compete to start.

Barber has too much movement, in this case wasted motion, maybe its just the hair but I don't get that with Steven Jackson so I don't really think thats it. he seems like a very tough inside runner, who takes on contact & fights for extra yards but to me it seems like he is running in quicksand & not a real threat to break a big one. I would much rather have a true smash mouth runner like Brandon Jacobs then change of pace back with the fast twitch relfex.

but lets don't get sidetracked just because of my opinion. I want to hear some other creative trade down sceneros. if y'all think you can do better lets see it. I'll be waiting.........
Old 01-16-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

They were one and done for the second year in a row ?

Looks good to me beerlover. If the two RB are still on the board at the eighteen they'd have a shot at moving back.
Old 01-16-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas4Some View Post
Any big names out there for Offensive Lineman that could come in and be a starter.
Boy are you behind the curve. It's not a question of are there any. The question is in the '08 draft, how long do you play chicken with the top teired guys befor you're faced with King Dunlap and Heath Benidict's covering your OLT back up spot.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/2008-NFL-Team-Needs

So as a high priority these teams need OTs:
Dolphins , Steelers, K.C., Oakland, Dallas, N.Y. Gaints, Arizona, St. Louis.

O-lineman & second priority OT:
Cincinatti, Houston, Denver, Washington, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Seatlle

Now some of these are gaurd projections....but as you can see there are far more needs than there are high end expect to start in September, prospects

It's going to come down to who blinks first.
Old 01-16-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
This looks real good but if we get a CB in FA, could we bluff Dallas into thinking we will still draft a CB? Also can someone evaluate Jamaal Charles in ZBS? Is he considered a one cut and go or does he bounce and pick a hole? He had 7 fumbles for 4 losses, but size and 4.39 is pretty sweet. If we go LT at 18 and no trade would Charles work in third?
Old 01-16-2008   #19
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

That would be pretty sweet. I would even be ok with trading down out of the first round completely if we could pick up 2 second round picks. Here's what day one of the draft could end up looking like for us:

CB/S- Reggie Smith
RB- Jamaal Charles
OT- Tony Hills

Not bad if you ask me.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
That would be pretty sweet. I would even be ok with trading down out of the first round completely if we could pick up 2 second round picks. Here's what day one of the draft could end up looking like for us:

CB/S- Reggie Smith
RB- Jamaal Charles
OT- Tony Hills

Not bad if you ask me.
No bad at all and the UT fans would love it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read