Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-15-2008   #1
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Why do Cowboys fans hate the Texans

I am curious for your take on why the Cowboys fans hate on the Texas so much. I know all the reasons Texans fans dislike the Cowboys, but am wondering why the reverse it true.

Is it all because of 19-10 or do they just not like sharing?
Old 01-15-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why do Cowboys fans hate the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I am curious for your take on why the Cowboys fans hate on the Texas so much. I know all the reasons Texans fans dislike the Cowboys, but am wondering why the reverse it true.

Most of them will tell you that the hatred is one way... Houstonians hating on Dallasites and that they don't care enough about Houston to hate us.
Old 01-15-2008   #3
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't think the dislike is as strong amongst Cowboy fans as Texans fans.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #4
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

It's more fun to question their Texanity. Most people in Houston know who their city was named after and most people in Austin know who their city is named after, but ask someone from Dallas who their city was named after and you'll get the strangest looks.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think its mostly the other way around. I see a TON more Cowboy hatred and jealousy from our fan base than I see Cowboy hatred to ours. I know of a bunch of Cowboy fans who have taken the Texans as their "AFC team"...I don't see the flip side to that much. I follow the Cowboys closely to be honest....I'd love nothing better than to see an all Texas Super Bowl one day.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #6
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe I'm too sensitive, or I know the wrong people.

If you read the comments in the Chronicle, you see a lot of hate coming this way from Cowboy fans. Maybe it is a case of a couple of squeaky wheels making the problem seem bigger than it is.
Old 01-15-2008   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mostly from Houston *cough*bandwagon*cough* Cowboys fans, IMO. Not so much from people that live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in my experiences.

I think it comes from arrogance and the self-loathing that comes from bandwaggoning a team that does not represent the city you live in. They need to badmouth the Texans to justify in their minds not rooting for the home team.

I have met a lot of good Cowboys fans, though, and many of them do root for the Texans as their AFC team. But I'd be lying if I said I haven't met a lot of chump Cowboys fans, with their arrogant attitudes and bragging how they've been a bandwagon fan since they were kids.
Old 01-15-2008   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I think its mostly the other way around. I see a TON more Cowboy hatred and jealousy from our fan base than I see Cowboy hatred to ours. I know of a bunch of Cowboy fans who have taken the Texans as their "AFC team"...I don't see the flip side to that much. I follow the Cowboys closely to be honest....I'd love nothing better than to see an all Texas Super Bowl one day.
AGREED!!!!I just had this talk after hearing the insufferable sports radio shows yesterday. Cowboy fans and most people in the Dallas and Ft. Worth area either DON'T dislike the Houston teams or are indifferent. I grew up in Ft. Worth..23 years..and grew up a Cowboy fan. No bandwagon. Having brothers at Texas I also grew up an Earl fan and then to a lesser extent..second team..the Oilers. I remember the Renfro call in the end zone because the Cowboys nemesis was the Steelers. I remember the Astros 17 inning game against the Mets while in high school.

I don't want to come across as an @ss but it is crazy how much people care about the Cowboys losing here despite the fact that Houston has never had a football team to call Super Bowl champs or even AFC champs. If Dallas had a bad year and the Texans had lost this past weekend the talk radio in Dallas would barely have mentioned it or would have talked about how they wished the Texans had done well.

For all the people who say Dallas fans are a-holes so Houston people hate the Cowboys... Look at what you are doing. To me it is the chicken or the egg. Did SOME Houston fans become annoying and full of hate because Cowboy fans talked too much or did Cowboy fans talk too much because Houston fans wouldn't stop hating?HMM
Old 01-15-2008   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
They need to badmouth the Texans to justify in their minds not rooting for the home team.
*scratches head* So let me get this straight..... Blazing Arrow is a Cowgurls fan?!?!???
Old 01-15-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
*scratches head* So let me get this straight..... Blazing Arrow is a Cowgurls fan?!?!???

He might as well be. At least the Cowboys have scoreboard in their history.
Old 01-15-2008   #11
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone that started the rumor, needs to stop. The hatred is definitely one way for the most part, and if any is returned in kind it is due to some Cowboy fans finally tiring of extending the olive branch. I know too many fans here and other fan bases, and from day one it has either been support for the new team or indifference. I know for a fact when the Texans won the game against Pittsburgh, if not mistaken, year one, I was in Texas Stadium, and there was a roar of applause throughout the stadium when the score was reported that the Texans had won. And, that my friends, was after the 19-10 loss to the Texans. I know it sounds better the say it is both ways, but it just isn't the truth.

Speaking of bandwagon, I think I can understand what some of you mean. Man, have any of you met the new New England Patriots fans, who by the way, have lived in Texas all of their lives? Some of them gives a whole new meaning to arrogance.

Last edited by StarStruck; 01-15-2008 at 01:17 PM.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Most of them will tell you that the hatred is one way... Houstonians hating on Dallasites and that they don't care enough about Houston to hate us.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Close enough vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Anyone that started the rumor, needs to stop. The hatred is definitely one way for the most part, and if any is returned in kind it is due to some Cowboy fans finally tiring of extending the olive branch. I know too many fans here and other fan bases, and from day one it has either been support for the new team or indifference. I know for a fact when the Texans won the game against Pittsburgh, if not mistaken, year one, I was in Texas Stadium, and there was a roar of applause throughout the stadium when the score was reported that the Texans had won. And, that my friends, was after the 19-10 loss to the Texans. I know it sounds better the say it is both ways, but it just isn't the truth.

Thanks StarStruck
Old 01-15-2008   #13
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

When I went to the last game up in Dallas, I talked to a bunch of Cowboy fans sitting around me who were somewhat nice. They said that they always cheer for the Texans because they will cheer for the teams that represent our state. They had no idea that Texans fans have a hatred towards the Cowboys and couldn't comprehend why we weren't cheering for them as well (when not playing each other).

By the end of the 1st quarter, I consistantly heard Cowboy fans at the game saying: "Geez, these Texans fans are just as bad if not worse than the Eagles fans that come here. What's their deal? And what does the 19-10 mean?"

Then a Texans fan would respond: "19-10 baby! We whooped your butt in 2002!!".
Of course then rolled back the obvious statement from the Cowboy fans: "5 superbowl rings, talk to me then".

Honestly, everyone needs to move on from the 19-10 game. Its gone. It was a fantastic day and a hell of a start to our franchise, but nobody outside of Houston still cares about that game.

Last edited by TEXANS84; 01-15-2008 at 01:56 PM.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
And what does the 19-10 mean?
Tells you everything you need to know about many cowboy fans...

It's not like that is meaningless..... What happened that night - had only happened one other time in NFL history!!! Ask an Oiler or Bill fan what 41-38 means..
Old 01-15-2008   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
When I went to the last game up in Dallas, I talked to a bunch of Cowboy fans sitting around me who were somewhat nice. They said that they always cheer for the Texans because they will cheer for the teams that represent our state. They had no idea that Texans fans have a hatred towards the Cowboys and couldn't comprehend why we weren't cheering for them as well (when not playing each other).

By the end of the 1st quarter, I consistantly heard Cowboy fans at the game saying: "Geez, these Texans fans are just as bad if not worse than the Eagles fans that come here. What's their deal? And what does the 19-10 mean?"

Then a Texans fan would respond: "19-10 baby! We whooped your butt in 2002!!".
Of course then rolled back the obvious statement from the Cowboy fans: "5 superbowl rings, talk to me then".

Honestly, everyone needs to move on from the 19-10 game. Its gone. It was a fantastic day and a hell of a start to our franchise, but nobody outside of Houston still cares about that game.
Well said. As I explained above..its a one way street as far as I have experienced and that includes living all but one year of my life in just those two areas.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 01-15-2008 at 02:44 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

When I lived in Arlington and worked in dallas I saw plenty of hatred for Houston. when I would talk to people and they found out I was from Houston they would be rude and say oh your from there and what crappy city Houston is.

This is why I dislike most things about Dallas. I have hated the cowboys ever since Tom Landry was fired.
Old 01-15-2008   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
When I lived in Arlington and worked in dallas I saw plenty of hatred for Houston. when I would talk to people and they found out I was from Houston they would be rude and say oh your from there and what crappy city Houston is.

This is why I dislike most things about Dallas. I have hated the cowboys ever since Tom Landry was fired.
Heck when I grew up in Ft. Worth I used to say the same thing about driving down here because all you see on I-45 is furniture stores, bad traffic and billboards but once I moved here I loved it and would rather live here than Dallas...Ft. Worth is different. Sports wise though I never heard people bad mouth Houston teams. Still don't when I visit family. In fact many guys on The Ticket..sports radio up there.. openly rooted for the Astros to win and bragged about them being run better than the Rangers. In my first 23 years there I never heard anything bad and people rooted for the Oilers and Astros.
Old 01-15-2008   #18
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post

Just out of curiousity, if all the people were rude and talked about how crappy Houston was, why did it take Landry bring fired for the dislike to begin? Also, given that there are millions of fans outside of the Dallas area, do those fans act in the same manner? Personally, I find it interesting to put too much stock into what a group of employees in Dallas in general have to say anyway given when it was time to vote on the stadium initiave, the powers that be, said, no not here.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Botttom line:

Is there a love fest between 9ers fans and Chargers fans?
Philly and Pittsburgh??
New York and New York. How about Buffalo and the Giants!??
St. Louis and Kansas City?!??

I make no apologies for my unabashed love of my home teams and hatred for teams from other cities....... *ahem* especially Dallas.
Old 01-15-2008   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Botttom line:

Is there a love fest between 9ers fans and Chargers fans?
Philly and Pittsburgh??
New York and New York. How about Buffalo and the Giants!??
St. Louis and Kansas City?!??

I make no apologies for my unabashed love of my home teams and hatred for teams from other cities....... *ahem* especially Dallas.
I understand that...I just want people to know that it is mostly one way and makes you wonder which breeds which. Respect though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read