Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-14-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Jake Long a better prospect than Joe Thomas?

I read this guy on another forum post:

"It's not close. Long is bigger, plays with more of a mean streak and can do more (zone, pull, trap, slide, block in space). Thomas didn't start getting crazy love until he ran the nice 40 time.

Jake Long is a legit LT prospect. I'm not a believer in LT moving to RT if they're not cutting it. LT and RT are two different positions at the highest levels of football. "

I couldn't help but scratch my head. He claims to have played OL at the D-1 level.
Old 01-14-2008   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jake Long a better prospect than Joe Thomas?

Long is nowhere near Thomas. then there's this nonsense:
Quote:
Thomas didn't start getting crazy love until he ran the nice 40 time.
people have a funny way of distorting the past. either A) he just made up history to further advance his own theory, or B) he just didn't pay attention at all to all the top 5 hype Thomas was getting for the previous two full seasons while Thomas played at Wisconsin. either way, he's not too bright. his talk about moving someone who's playing LT to RT just because they aren't "cutting it" means he has NO idea what he's talking about. he's one of these people that think LT means "best tackle" and RT means "not good enough to play LT." nonsense. ignore this one.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post

people have a funny way of distorting the past. either A) he just made up history to further advance his own theory, or B) he just didn't pay attention at all to all the top 5 hype Thomas was getting for the previous two full seasons while Thomas played at Wisconsin. either way, he's not too bright. his talk about moving someone who's playing LT to RT just because they aren't "cutting it" means he has NO idea what he's talking about. he's one of these people that think LT means "best tackle" and RT means "not good enough to play LT." nonsense. ignore this one.
Did'nt Thomas blow out his knee in a bowl game his junior year ? He would have been a top 10 pick that year .

He was the 3rd pick in 2007 draft ... that's after recovering from his knee injury .
Old 01-14-2008   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I was listening to Dan Patrick the other night and he said Joe Thomas gave up half a sack this season! As a rookie!!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Did'nt Thomas blow out his knee in a bowl game his junior year ? He would have been a top 10 pick that year .

He was the 3rd pick in 2007 draft ... that's after recovering from his knee injury .
yes he did and that's why he stayed his senior season. had he not blown out his knee he would've been a top 10 pick that year.
Old 01-15-2008   #6
Ckw

Quote:
he's one of these people that think LT means "best tackle" and RT means "not good enough to play LT."
Good post but what exactly is the difference? I mean take Eric Winston. A great LT at Miami. A great RT for us. LT a big problem for us. Why exactly do we not have Eric Winston at LT? Is it size? Is it strength? Speed? I understand the concept of LT taking on faster RE and RT taking on the stronger, run stopper LE.

Oh and yeah, those guys are morons. Joe Thomas was a top 5 pick before the combine. But hey, it's better when history suits one's own agenda.
Old 01-15-2008   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

meh, he wasn't really a "great" LT at Miami. he had lots of potential and everyone expected him to excel since he was so big and athletic and was moved over to that position after coming to Miami as a tight end. i never saw the greatness in him. his agility as a TE stayed with him at tackle; tall, good speed, tough, strong, but pretty lanky as he lumbered down the field, not a lot of razzle dazzle. as a tackle he was pretty much the same big stiff guy with good athleticism and short arms. stiff hips + short arms = definitely not a candidate for left tackle in the NFL. he had enough trouble as it was with the position in college.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Plus he, Winston, was injured his second to last year. His last year was more of a recovery period. (Or so I vaguely remember)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Joe Thomas had himself a very impressive rookie year in the NFL making the Pro Bowl Roster. he answeared the question about his knee & stay'ed healthy over the course of an entire season playing a very high level.

Jake Long is a RT prospect thats going to get paid LT money.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
meh, he wasn't really a "great" LT at Miami. he had lots of potential and everyone expected him to excel since he was so big and athletic and was moved over to that position after coming to Miami as a tight end. i never saw the greatness in him. his agility as a TE stayed with him at tackle; tall, good speed, tough, strong, but pretty lanky as he lumbered down the field, not a lot of razzle dazzle. as a tackle he was pretty much the same big stiff guy with good athleticism and short arms. stiff hips + short arms = definitely not a candidate for left tackle in the NFL. he had enough trouble as it was with the position in college.
Rare I agree with you Kast, but I think that Winston was very, very disappointing his last year in School when I got a chance to watch him play and wasn't shocked he fell down the draft board.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that makes me laugh is all the so-called draft guru's were saying the Thomas was not as good as D'brick. Opps I think they may have gotten that one wrong by about a freakin state or two.
Old 01-15-2008   #12
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Joe Thomas is much better than Jake Long.
Old 01-15-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I watched Joe Thomas about eight times from the time he was a sophmore untill he declared. I'm glad the Texans are not face with the choice of Jake Long. I think Long is more like Bryant McKinney/Marcus McNeil for Minnesoda and San Deigo respectivly.

. I think Joe Thomas is much closer to what Bruce Mathews was. He is very quick and strong. amazing how much better the QB and the moss backed RB got once JT and Steinback locked down the left side for the brownies.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-15-2008 at 05:48 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read