Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2008   #61
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early Offseason Ramblings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I just dont see us signing a FA RB as I would rather use the money on a CB anf if we do then we need to spend two picks on CB's then. I could handle us picking up Meddenhall or Jones as new backs as I dont see Dayne staying much longer.
Wow, I have the exact opposite opinion. Out of all our 'backs, I think Dayne is the only one who has a roster spot locked for next season. I don't think he's going anywhere, and all of the other guys will be fighting for their jobs.
Just to be clear, I think the roster spot that Dayne has a lock on is RB2, not the starting role.
No, Dayne will be here... hopefully he'll be RB3, and we'll have two better guys ahead of him, but he will be here...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #62
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Out of all our 'backs, I think Dayne is the only one who has a roster spot locked for next season. I don't think he's going anywhere, and all of the other guys will be fighting for their jobs.
Kubiak has publicly stated that they expect Ahman Green to be 100% next season & back with the club, thats the lock. Dayne is being evaluated by the staff & is a free agent. thats not excatly a lock, although it would not surprise me if they bring him back on the cheap.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #63
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Kubiak has publicly stated that they expect Ahman Green to be 100% next season & back with the club, thats the lock. Dayne is being evaluated by the staff & is a free agent. thats not excatly a lock, although it would not surprise me if they bring him back on the cheap.
Whatever has been said, I still feel like Dayne has a higher likelihood of being on the roster than Green.
Dayne is a Kubiak favorite, and can fill a role on the team as RB2. Green could fill that roll, but Kubiak is not going to count on Green to be 100%, despite what he says now.
I can see us going into the season with Green, Dayne and an acquired RB as our top three guys.
I can also see us going with Dayne, and two new guys as our top three.
What I can't see (unless Dayne just wants to leave), is us going into the season without Dayne. I expect the Texans to want Dayne, and I expect Dayne to want to stay with the team.
Old 01-16-2008   #64
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Let me ask you a question would you want Tashard Choice, Kevin Smith or Allen patrick starting for the texans next season? I don't I could deal with James Davis maybe but he is a little over-rated due to the fact he has always split time at clemson with other good backs.
I actually feel all of the above of are nice options and either could fill in nicely . I really feel Allen Patrick is a great fit here as I've repeatedly stated. Guy runs hard between the tackles, converted DE, And he's more of a typical one cut and run guy that excells in a ZBS. Admittedly helps I've seen him play more often then the other two. I am pretty sure for better or worse expect ahman to be ina Texan's UNI come starting next season. In what Role I'm not sure but he'll be here at least through next year.

If we're invoking Denver past here as to how it's going to translate to how we draft I'd expect more BPA 1st (usually on defense). I still think we're deficient on talent level on the Offensive Line not to draft one first round this year. If we gave up 2 seconds for our starting QB whom we gave an extended deal to makes sense in my mind to get him protected and provide a basis for a good ground game. It's no coincidence this year Joe Thomas is drafted and the Cleveland line solidifies. None. Zero coicidence. Guy himself gave up HALF a sack. Keep in mind that's the same division as Pittsburgh and Baltimore's defenses respectively.

Food for thought....Freeney, Mathis, Haynesworth, Henderson, Stroud, Vandenbosch all are in our division and that's not going to go away soon.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #65
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Early Offseason Ramblings:

Hey, at least only two losses were to non-playoff teams? The Browns were ALMOST a playoff team, and I still regret losing to ATL.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #66
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
We can get help at RB without using our first draft pick. M. Turner, J. Jones, J. Fargas all free agents, and there will be backs like R. Rice available in the middle rounds. What we need most are defensive backs and a left tackle. The possibility of Spencer coming back next season and dominating at left tackle is no more likely Ahman Green coming back and rushing for over 1,000 yards. Not to mention Dayne and Walker made a decent tandem in the backfield and C. Taylor will be healthy. Think how much better our running game will be when we can run on the left side also instead of just the right.
Another way to look at it is Dayne and Walker made a decent tandem for a few games. Dayne has not done so well for 16 games on Texans and Taylor has no regular game history so we can only wish for him to do well.
Old 01-17-2008   #67
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Green is not a lock.

They said that they expect Green to make a full recovery but that they can't count on that and need to be looking at some young backs.

Translated: We don't dump our high profile FAs in the grease publicly, but we will wait and see if he is good to go.
Old 01-17-2008   #68
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak has publicly stated that they expect Ahman Green to be 100% next season & back with the club, thats the lock.
Yessiree. In related news, Domanick Davis/Williams is progressing nicely.
Old 01-17-2008   #69
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Green is not a lock.

They said that they expect Green to make a full recovery but that they can't count on that and need to be looking at some young backs.

Translated: We don't dump our high profile FAs in the grease publicly, but we will wait and see if he is good to go.
If Green is cut, he still has an impact on cap but we do save some money. How do injury settlements effect the cap?
Old 01-17-2008   #70
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Green is cut, he still has an impact on cap but we do save some money. How do injury settlements effect the cap?
Can anyone tell me if Green's injury was a recurrence the injury he had a few years ago in GB? If so, I'd say our liability should be limited in his contract. Of course, that still doesn't answer how it would effect the cap...
Old 01-17-2008   #71
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Can anyone tell me if Green's injury was a recurrence the injury he had a few years ago in GB? If so, I'd say our liability should be limited in his contract. Of course, that still doesn't answer how it would effect the cap...
It is a completely different Injury. Marvin Harrison had the same injury as Green.
Old 01-17-2008   #72
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
It is a completely different Injury. Marvin Harrison had the same injury as Green.
Thanks, I couldn't remember and was too lazy to research it..
Old 01-17-2008   #73
badboy
Site Contributor

My guess is unless specifically paid out over more than one year, an injury settlement would come out in its entirety in 2008 cap.
Old 01-17-2008   #74
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I loosely skimmed through a lot of these posts so excuse my ignorance if it's already been mentioned.

I'm just not all that worried about the guard position as some of you guys are. I don't know I can't help but think that Alex Gibbs and Kasey Studdard... a match made in heaven. Studdard needs his shot soon and what better way to eck that shot into reality with Gibbs? I don't think that Studdard is a ZBS lineman but I don't really think it matters all that much. What Studdard has to offer appears to fall in line with what Gibbs demands.

I'm using flawed logic but it makes sense to me somehow. It just does!

1) Studdard's father was a very successful lineman in the NFL. Therefore Studdard won't have such a large learning curve since we've all heard about Gibbs' impatience for inexperience.

2) Studdard has played in the national spotlight and thrived doing so. He should be fine in the NFL. Especially after following his father's career.

3) Studdard has shown to have a nasty streak and a 'football happens' attitude. An Alex Gibbs requirement. He'll do whatever his coach wants him to do and if that means breaking legs... By that I mean cutblocking. Heck, I can see him taking his helmet off and placing his chompers on a defender's pinkie finger if that's what it takes to run a successful block.

4) Studdard is on the smallish side which should fit the need for a chop blocker.

I don't know. I don't know much about running or assembling a football team that's for sure but I really like the combined mix of Kasey Studdard and Alex Gibbs. I can see Weary (provided he heals up well) and Studdard being our starters next season. Sounds like a lock to me. I'm more inclined to worry about our centers and tackle(s).

I can see Eric Winston being moved around on the line under the discretion of Gibbs. I think he instantly becomes our best ZBS lineman before Gibbs' expertise establishes the rest of our line. Basically, this allows Gibbs flexibility to find his men while Winston, being already experienced in the ZBS scheme, eases off worry simply because of his ZBS training/experience alone.

I hope Pitts is as good as gone. He should be. He blows. His only glory to fame on the Houston Texans is that he's the only guy to have been in on every snap the Texans have ever taken. I think we're just keeping him on there to extend his streak rather than giving Studdard his shot.

Eh. What do I know anyway. Heh!

Well that's two of us that thinks Pitts is more on the bubble for the door than on the bubble for an OLT move. I thought both gaurds were very plodding and ineffective this year. Plodding doesn't lend itself to be alone on an island.

Instead of moving people all around, just go bang an OLT with the (a) draft pick.

Enough seconded teired guys at RB on the board you're not going to miss out on a paltoon guy. I'm still waiting for Ahmen's release and Rick Smith's termintion. 'till that happens all the RB talk @ the eighteen is just that... talk. If Richard Smith gets the offer and their is no one they like at CB, or they have another Bennit targeted in the third, he'll move the pick.

As far a Studdard goes, his first big hurdle will be getting on to the field. All you post is true.
But untill the guy can lace 'em up and show what he's got ...it's all potential. And potential don't win squat in the NFL.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-17-2008 at 01:17 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #75
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't wait until they get rid of Ahman Green he is done and can't stay healthy and they can get rid of fat Ron Dayne. I bring a good young vet like Julius Jones on 2 year deal and draft another running back and have a two headed monster with real running backs.
Old 01-17-2008   #76
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Okay, now I really don't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4
it is funnier with someone making up the captions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwsnt...eature=related
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #77
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I can't wait until they get rid of Ahman Green he is done and can't stay healthy and they can get rid of fat Ron Dayne. I bring a good young vet like Julius Jones on 2 year deal and draft another running back and have a two headed monster with real running backs.
Bring some info to support your desire for Jones. IMO he is a mediocre back that can't beat off the challenge by the newer RB in Dallas.
Old 01-17-2008   #78
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm still waiting for Ahmen's release and Rick Smith's termintion. 'till that happens all the RB talk @ the eighteen is just that... talk. If Richard Smith gets the offer and their is no one they like at CB, or they have another Bennit targeted in the third, he'll move the pick.
Not razzing, just trying to qualify. Can you define who is Rick Smith and Richard Smith, by title, in your linguistic flow?
Old 01-17-2008   #79
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Not razzing, just trying to qualify. Can you define who is Rick Smith and Richard Smith, by title, in your linguistic flow?
Ahhhhh... that suddenly made that make a lot more sense.

I was wondering why Rick Smith was going to get terminated.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008   #80
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
From here on out maybe we should call them the lesser Smith and the greater Smith for clarity.
Anyone who can't identify them by those monikers probably shouldn't be involved in a given conversation about one, or both of them...

The lesser Smith must go!!!!!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read