Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2008   #41
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early Offseason Ramblings:

I don't think that Left Tackle will be an issue since we picked up Rashad Butler who was a 3rd round pick by the Carolina Panthers, Rashad was very good at the Univ. of Miami with his buddy Eric Winston. I think if Rashard is healthy along with charles spencer who will have to get his weight down to play left tackle we will be fine with gibbs coaching.
Old 01-15-2008   #42
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest need will be at the CB position and then RB. I think we will have to address the CB in F/A and the draft. I think if we are able to trade back in rd. 1 I think that might be our best move if not then take the best available running back available at that spot hopefully Rashard mendenhall or Johnathon Stewart.

Free Agent Signings that I would like to see in order.

Corners:
1. Marcus Trufant - CB
1A. Drayton Florence - CB

Safety:

1. Ken Hamlin
2. Eugene Wilson
3. Gibril Wilson

OL:

1. Max Starks - Steelers - OT
2. Ryan Lilja, UFA, Indianapolis Colts - OG
3. Jake Scott, UFA, Indianapolis Colts - OG

OLB:

1. Boss Bailey, UFA, Detroit Lions
2. Demorrio Williams, UFA, Atlanta Falcons
3. Danny Clark UFA Houston Texans

RB:

1. NFL Draft.
Old 01-15-2008   #43
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Trufant Upped his tag the way he played against Washington but he's the guy I'd target too with Florance right behind.

I thought Hamlin signed a multiple year with Dallas but i could be wrong.

I think we'd be welled served to resign Demps and let everyone else battle it out for the SS spot. Truth be told I'm still curious to see what Brandon Harrison can do.

I wouldn't count on us signing any of those people for OL. Indy has a good recent history of managing to keep those guys signed. It wouldn't suprise me at all to see either Starks or Faneca in AZ coming this year. I'm still not counting on a healthy Charles Spencer at the start of the season as well.We looked a lot better on the line this year though. But I do Agree with Herv on getting a Bonafide C wether that is Eslinger stepping up or taking one in the draft.

I wouldn't minda guy like Na'il Diggs whom i think is a UFA this year again signed away from Carolina. Wouldn't mind the LBs you mentioned signed an I'm wondering if Dansby is going to get tagged. I think a run at Briggs and Suggs would be killer as well.

I'm on the fence about RB at this point. I'd prefer one of two things come draft day and first round LT or CB. There might be some more reasonable RB FA options. If we're keeping Dayne start him from day one. He's not achange of pace back ora guy you bring i nsecnd string. He's always been a let him get his carries and when the third and fourth quarter start coming about people get tired of the OL leaning on you and tackling him.

The way Walker played the later part of the year and we'll see about Taylor being healthy. If so we might have a decent 3 back commitee next year with Walker and Taylor battling out who emerges as a down the line starter.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #44
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Trufant Upped his tag the way he played against Washington but he's the guy I'd target too with Florance right behind.

I thought Hamlin signed a multiple year with Dallas but i could be wrong.

I think we'd be welled served to resign Demps and let everyone else battle it out for the SS spot. Truth be told I'm still curious to see what Brandon Harrison can do.

I wouldn't count on us signing any of those people for OL. Indy has a good recent history of managing to keep those guys signed. It wouldn't suprise me at all to see either Starks or Faneca in AZ coming this year. I'm still not counting on a healthy Charles Spencer at the start of the season as well.We looked a lot better on the line this year though. But I do Agree with Herv on getting a Bonafide C wether that is Eslinger stepping up or taking one in the draft.

I wouldn't minda guy like Na'il Diggs whom i think is a UFA this year again signed away from Carolina. Wouldn't mind the LBs you mentioned signed an I'm wondering if Dansby is going to get tagged. I think a run at Briggs and Suggs would be killer as well.

I'm on the fence about RB at this point. I'd prefer one of two things come draft day and first round LT or CB. There might be some more reasonable RB FA options. If we're keeping Dayne start him from day one. He's not achange of pace back ora guy you bring i nsecnd string. He's always been a let him get his carries and when the third and fourth quarter start coming about people get tired of the OL leaning on you and tackling him.

The way Walker played the later part of the year and we'll see about Taylor being healthy. If so we might have a decent 3 back commitee next year with Walker and Taylor battling out who emerges as a down the line starter.
I disagree big time about the running backs that we have they are all 2nd & 3rd rate runners Ron dayne & Ahman Green cost us a few games because we couldn't sustain a decent running game. Ahman Green has been injured the past 3 years and we gave him big money because we were desparate for a running back and Ron Dayne has been nothing but a huge disappointment since he came into the League and I think that Running Back is our 2nd biggest need behind Corner Back.
Old 01-15-2008   #45
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I don't think that Left Tackle will be an issue since we picked up Rashad Butler who was a 3rd round pick by the Carolina Panthers, Rashad was very good at the Univ. of Miami with his buddy Eric Winston. I think if Rashard is healthy along with charles spencer who will have to get his weight down to play left tackle we will be fine with gibbs coaching.
Butler is our backup right tackle and nothing more. He certainly isnt the answer at LT. Betting on Spencer to come back in good enough condition to hold down the LT spot is also a big long shot. Spencer had 3 games in the NFL before suffering a career threatening injury that sidelined him for almost 2 years. I think its funny that you are satisfied with our depth at OT but worried about Green, Dayne, Walker, Taylor, Leach as our backs.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree big time about the running backs that we have they are all 2nd & 3rd rate runners Ron dayne & Ahman Green cost us a few games because we couldn't sustain a decent running game. Ahman Green has been injured the past 3 years and we gave him big money because we were desparate for a running back and Ron Dayne has been nothing but a huge disappointment since he came into the League and I think that Running Back is our 2nd biggest need behind Corner Back.
A little more accurate info for you on Green.2005 & 2007 he had 5 & 6 games. Every other year from1998 fewest games was 14. Other than those two years, from 2000 he rushed for over 1,000 yards. Remember the flack Mario received his injured year and then what he did this one. Could Green have another 1,000 next season in a totally ZBS offense?
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Ah00.htm?redir

Last edited by badboy; 01-15-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: added link
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #47
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ahman wasn't on the field half the time and that alone was a big blow. That was also voiced as a large concern here his ability to stay on the field.Although he hasn't been as injured much as you suggested prior to this year he was still a productive back before and ater the knee injury limited him. The first few games he was effective enough as a starter the problem that really arose is Dayne never has been a guy you plug and play sparingly. He needs to get carries and establish himself. That IMO lead to the sputtering running game past Ahman. I'd also toss some of that to the mixed schemes we kept running and think we won't nearly have that problem with Kubiak and Gibbs on the same page.

I think we're better served upgrading the Oline or Dbacks(as you suggest). Unless you get a guy like McFadden I don't think you're often well served taking back in the first. Just want to point out the last two guys to post 2000 yard seasons weren't big time burners(Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis)
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2008   #48
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I'd think Meddenhall fits the bill of punisher more then Ron Dayne. I still like the idea of using Dayne in the 4th quarter when you definately don't want fumbles and the opposing defense is tired, but early in the season he was very very inneffective early in the game, and I think someone like Meddenhall could where out the other team faster then Dayne.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #49
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Ahman wasn't on the field half the time and that alone was a big blow. That was also voiced as a large concern here his ability to stay on the field.Although he hasn't been as injured much as you suggested prior to this year he was still a productive back before and ater the knee injury limited him. The first few games he was effective enough as a starter the problem that really arose is Dayne never has been a guy you plug and play sparingly. He needs to get carries and establish himself. That IMO lead to the sputtering running game past Ahman. I'd also toss some of that to the mixed schemes we kept running and think we won't nearly have that problem with Kubiak and Gibbs on the same page.

I think we're better served upgrading the Oline or Dbacks(as you suggest). Unless you get a guy like McFadden I don't think you're often well served taking back in the first. Just want to point out the last two guys to post 2000 yard seasons weren't big time burners(Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis)
SO we go into next year with a huge hole at running back and we just give up on spencer at OLT as well? I think we need to Address OLT,OLB & CB in free agency and fill other needs in the draft such as runnning back, CB, Safety and another pass rusher.
Old 01-15-2008   #50
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
SO we go into next year with a huge hole at running back and we just give up on spencer at OLT as well? I think we need to Address OLT,OLB & CB in free agency and fill other needs in the draft such as runnning back, CB, Safety and another pass rusher.
I Don't think we go into next year with a hole at RB. It actually could get intersting. Not Saying Walker is a sure fire guy but at the same time he didn't look nearly as bad as Ech or Samkon or the other RBBC guys we threw out there. Just think IF, Big IF, we do resign Dayne. Start him and throw in Green instead of the otherway around. I think we'd finda more productive combination that way.

For what it'll be worth Chris Taylor should be back at the start of TC as well. If we do go RB While some of those guys like Mendenhall, Stewart and co would be great. I just think a Guy like Patrick out of OU would be got fora 3rd or fourth.

Do agree we need to make a move on a CB and maybe make a run at Briggs for OLB. Still think a good LT in the first would do wonders for the backbone of this offense and it would be nice if a guy like Eslinger could emerge as a good C candidate.AS for Spencer....I hope he does make it back but all signs are at least pointing that it will be one hell of a mountain to climb.
Old 01-15-2008   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting the OL straightened out first will give us a better chance of our RBs coming out of a season without injuries.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #52
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
I Don't think we go into next year with a hole at RB. It actually could get intersting. Not Saying Walker is a sure fire guy but at the same time he didn't look nearly as bad as Ech or Samkon or the other RBBC guys we threw out there. Just think IF, Big IF, we do resign Dayne. Start him and throw in Green instead of the otherway around. I think we'd finda more productive combination that way.

For what it'll be worth Chris Taylor should be back at the start of TC as well. If we do go RB While some of those guys like Mendenhall, Stewart and co would be great. I just think a Guy like Patrick out of OU would be got fora 3rd or fourth.

Do agree we need to make a move on a CB and maybe make a run at Briggs for OLB. Still think a good LT in the first would do wonders for the backbone of this offense and it would be nice if a guy like Eslinger could emerge as a good C candidate.AS for Spencer....I hope he does make it back but all signs are at least pointing that it will be one hell of a mountain to climb.
Ok fine if we go with LT in the draft if we trade back and pick up a 2nd round pick and get a running back I would love that with Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton & felix Jones possibly falling into the 2nd round I would be happy with that. You still have to be crazy to go into next season with those set of backs your out of your freakin mind dude that's all I have to say because all the reports coming out of the front office is that RUNNING BACK is one of our biggest NEEDS. Ahman Green is not reliable at all IMO and Ron Dayne isn't a Lead back he has proven that over and over in Denver & New York!!!! Improvements must be made no matter how people want to cut it's one of our biggest needs.
Old 01-15-2008   #53
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok fine if we go with LT in the draft if we trade back and pick up a 2nd round pick and get a running back I would love that with Jamaal Charles, Steve Slaton & felix Jones possibly falling into the 2nd round I would be happy with that. You still have to be crazy to go into next season with those set of backs your out of your freakin mind dude that's all I have to say because all the reports coming out of the front office is that RUNNING BACK is one of our biggest NEEDS. Ahman Green is not reliable at all IMO and Ron Dayne isn't a Lead back he has proven that over and over in Denver & New York!!!! Improvements must be made no matter how people want to cut it's one of our biggest needs.
Trading back is so hard to do. I say we eat our 2nd round loss this year, and focus on keeping other picks. It is doubtful we will be able to trade down from the 18 spot.

As infantrycak pointed out in another thread, there should be somewhere around 7 running backs taken before our 3rd round selection, going by history. I see alot of running backs out there in this draft that could help us, and with our 3rd round pick we should be able to get a contributor. I don't think you'll see us grab a runningback in the first round unless there is a real special guy there at 18.

I'm thinking guys like Tashard Choice, James Davis, or Allen Patrick could be available with our 3rd round pick (#82 overall, well #81 since Patriots must forfeit theirs). Maybe even a Kevin Smith or Ray Rice. Doubtful, but there are just so many, one is bound to fall.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #54
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Trading back is so hard to do. I say we eat our 2nd round loss this year, and focus on keeping other picks. It is doubtful we will be able to trade down from the 18 spot.

As infantrycak pointed out in another thread, there should be somewhere around 7 running backs taken before our 3rd round selection, going by history. I see alot of running backs out there in this draft that could help us, and with our 3rd round pick we should be able to get a contributor. I don't think you'll see us grab a runningback in the first round unless there is a real special guy there at 18.

I'm thinking guys like Tashard Choice, James Davis, or Allen Patrick could be available with our 3rd round pick (#82 overall, well #81 since Patriots must forfeit theirs). Maybe even a Kevin Smith or Ray Rice. Doubtful, but there are just so many, one is bound to fall.
Let me ask you a question would you want Tashard Choice, Kevin Smith or Allen patrick starting for the texans next season? I don't I could deal with James Davis maybe but he is a little over-rated due to the fact he has always split time at clemson with other good backs.
Old 01-15-2008   #55
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me ask you a question would you want Tashard Choice, Kevin Smith or Allen patrick starting for the texans next season? I don't I could deal with James Davis maybe but he is a little over-rated due to the fact he has always split time at clemson with other good backs.
Over Dayne, Walker, Taylor, and a depleted Ahman Green, yes. We always have free agency to grab another backup running back to help carry the load. There's nothing wrong with any of these 3 runningbacks. Kevin Smith has proven to be able to carry the load despite playing at UCF, Tashard Choice is a bruiser who carried a team that lost Calvin Johnson and their QB. Choice was also good the years before that. Allen Patrick has been a productive guy and he has the experience. James Davis was damn good before Spiller even enrolled into Clemson. The only reason his numbers have gone down is because Spiller is such a talent, he needs his carries as well, and it benifits them both. The running backs available in round 3 aren't going to be your average 3rd round running backs.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #56
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would be comfortable going into the season with a 4th round pick at RB in a deep RB class, and with Chris Taylor, Walker, and Ahman Green... with Gibbs coaching the oline, YES.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #57
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

We can get help at RB without using our first draft pick. M. Turner, J. Jones, J. Fargas all free agents, and there will be backs like R. Rice available in the middle rounds. What we need most are defensive backs and a left tackle. The possibility of Spencer coming back next season and dominating at left tackle is no more likely Ahman Green coming back and rushing for over 1,000 yards. Not to mention Dayne and Walker made a decent tandem in the backfield and C. Taylor will be healthy. Think how much better our running game will be when we can run on the left side also instead of just the right.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #58
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 396 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Without having any knowledge of the depth at running back, I would assume that the "Insert running back, gain 100 yards" philosophy that Denver had in their heyday (the draft choice of Tatum Bell notwithstanding) would come into play here. If that is the case, I don't see us drafting a running back earlier than 3rd round (second if we had it or traded back there).

As for offensive line, I know that Gibbs and ZBS likes 'em light. It seems that would be the case because they want them more mobile but if Spencer is the ballerina that I was led to believe by the post-draft ravings, then maybe an exception can be made for him. If he can regain his athleticism.

What I want from this offseason is more depth. Yes, we have issues at cornerback. I think that if we could get Dunta Robinson back, he and Bennett could start and be solid. I think that Will Demps is fine as free safety and I've always believed that Glenn Earl is fine. So I would like some more depth there. Get in a third/fourth round draft pick. More depth along the o-line would be nice as well. I'm just going to assume that this area will be fine. That's why they brought in Gibbs. I'm not swallowing any kool-aid, I don't think. He's just that good.

I think our talent level is fine but we need to stay healthy. That's why I want more depth.
Old 01-16-2008   #59
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I loosely skimmed through a lot of these posts so excuse my ignorance if it's already been mentioned.

I'm just not all that worried about the guard position as some of you guys are. I don't know I can't help but think that Alex Gibbs and Kasey Studdard... a match made in heaven. Studdard needs his shot soon and what better way to eck that shot into reality with Gibbs? I don't think that Studdard is a ZBS lineman but I don't really think it matters all that much. What Studdard has to offer appears to fall in line with what Gibbs demands.

I'm using flawed logic but it makes sense to me somehow. It just does!

1) Studdard's father was a very successful lineman in the NFL. Therefore Studdard won't have such a large learning curve since we've all heard about Gibbs' impatience for inexperience.

2) Studdard has played in the national spotlight and thrived doing so. He should be fine in the NFL. Especially after following his father's career.

3) Studdard has shown to have a nasty streak and a 'football happens' attitude. An Alex Gibbs requirement. He'll do whatever his coach wants him to do and if that means breaking legs... By that I mean cutblocking. Heck, I can see him taking his helmet off and placing his chompers on a defender's pinkie finger if that's what it takes to run a successful block.

4) Studdard is on the smallish side which should fit the need for a chop blocker.

I don't know. I don't know much about running or assembling a football team that's for sure but I really like the combined mix of Kasey Studdard and Alex Gibbs. I can see Weary (provided he heals up well) and Studdard being our starters next season. Sounds like a lock to me. I'm more inclined to worry about our centers and tackle(s).

I can see Eric Winston being moved around on the line under the discretion of Gibbs. I think he instantly becomes our best ZBS lineman before Gibbs' expertise establishes the rest of our line. Basically, this allows Gibbs flexibility to find his men while Winston, being already experienced in the ZBS scheme, eases off worry simply because of his ZBS training/experience alone.

I hope Pitts is as good as gone. He should be. He blows. His only glory to fame on the Houston Texans is that he's the only guy to have been in on every snap the Texans have ever taken. I think we're just keeping him on there to extend his streak rather than giving Studdard his shot.

Eh. What do I know anyway. Heh!
Old 01-16-2008   #60
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I just dont see us signing a FA RB as I would rather use the money on a CB anf if we do then we need to spend two picks on CB's then. I could handle us picking up Meddenhall or Jones as new backs as I dont see Dayne staying much longer.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read