Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-14-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario's bonus and cap hit

C:\Documents and Settings\debtuser.S...Texans cap.htm

There has been discussion about how the Texans may choose to extend Williams' contract by offering a $12million bonus. Most comments I've seen indicate that the entire amount would be subtracted from 2008 salary cap leaving only approximately $21- 23 million cap space to sign our FA, any new FA and our draft picks. The link above reflects my interaction with Keith Weiland who writes for houstonprofootball.com and has the most interesting cap page each year for Texans.

I think the exchange offers a clearer understanding of what $ may be available and how Mario's new contract may effect the cap. I think it is entirely possible for the Texans to sign FAs that should plug some holes for us.
Old 01-14-2008   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143455 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario's bonus and cap hit

That link wont open for me

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #3
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

That link still isn't opening.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
That link still isn't opening.
Sorry, my day went nuts and i did not have time to check the link. Will fix ASAP as it is helpful info. Again my apologies.
Old 01-14-2008   #5
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

You can't link something from your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Default marios cap

Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:35 PM
To: smeloy@hospitalsolutionsinc.com
Subject: Re: Texans cap

So, yeah, the option bonus is typically spread evenly over the remaining years of the contract from when it is exercised. The team I think has the choice of eating the entire option bonus on the current year's cap, but that is a pretty unusual decision for a team to make. I seem to recall it coming up a few years ago with Michael Vick... I think the Falcons for some reason to an unusually long time to decide to prorate some bonus Vick earned.

To your second question, the base salaries are typically lower in the first couple years of a big multi-year deal, partly because the player is satisfied with pocketing the bonus check that first year (bonuses are prorated for cap purposes, but unless specified to be paid in installments, most bonus checks are paid shortly after the contract is signed). The base salaries just have to at least be at the vet minimum based on the # of seasons played for each year of the contract. And yeah, there is apparently an increasing trend in agents negotiating some or all of the base amounts as guaranteed, particularly for 1st round picks lately. You have calculated your Briggs example below correctly as I understand the rules.

FYI - The Falcons came up with a 'salary cap 101' for fans a couple years ago, and it covers a lot of the stuff that comes up in the offseason - bonuses, dead money, rookie pool, etc. http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People...y_Cap_101.aspx It's a handy reference from time to time.

Keith

----- Original Message -----
To: keith@houstonprofootball.com
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:33 PM
Subject: Texans cap

Keith, first let me thank you for your work on the cap page. I refer the web site and your page several times a week to others. Confusion exist over the Mario Williams option of offering a bonus to extend his contract & lower the base years. Many fans take that to mean the $12million bonus should be subtracted from the estimate available under 2008 projected cap. $35 - $12= apprx. $22 million total cap space. I think this is wrong as bonus should be spread over the contract years left. Which is correct? Also, canít a contract be set to optional amounts in base years agreeable to team and player? I think Nate Clemments contract was done that way. Example: $40 million Lance Briggs OLB for 5 years. $15m bonus with first year base salary of $1m. 2008 cap hit $3m bonus + $1m base = $4m cap for first year. Remaining years would be bonus + negotiated amounts for each year. My offer would guarantee all money. Appreciate your input.

Steve Meloy

Disclaimer: This electronic message may contain information that is Confidential or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message and do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information it contains.
Old 01-14-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Default Re: marios cap

Here is the emails I referred to in prior thread. Hope you find it interesting.
Old 01-14-2008   #8
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Here is the emails I referred to in prior thread. Hope you find it interesting.
So that means we could have a lot more than 22MM in Cap room? I love it!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #9
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
So that means we could have a lot more than 22MM in Cap room? I love it!
That's what I've been trying to say.

The Texan Question Marks
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #10
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I'm really starting to beleive we should go after Jared Allen...

I know I know our Dline already has tons invested in it...but look at the Giants. They have been harrassing QBs all in the post season thus far and despite having a rag tag secondary it really has worked.

If our Dline consisted of Mario, Okoye, TJ, and Allen...I think QBs of opposing teams would have nightmares of those guys before playing us, i'd love it.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

jared allen and haynesworth arent going anywhere without a high cost (draft picks)... how do people think they wont be franchised?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO - We need to pay for Mario now. We're not winning the SB next year - no point in spending mega-bucks on top tier guys. Lets secure our future, build through the draft and keep our guys first. (Like the Patriots theory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
IMO - We need to pay for Mario now. We're not winning the SB next year - no point in spending mega-bucks on top tier guys. Lets secure our future, build through the draft and keep our guys first. (Like the Patriots theory)
I understand your POV, but there are significant FA such as Maewelde Moore RB who are in mid 20s and could sign for several years. As the email noted most lengthy contracts are back loaded and often the player doesn't play or get any $ from last year or two. Just gives them a reason to puff their chests and say I got 8 years $80m (see Nate Clemment).

Moore and a CB (there are a few possiblities) would strengthen the team NOW and play for several years at significant positions. Why not resign Mario in 09 and give him a reason to want to remain with team as in good players besides just a boost in his income?
Old 01-15-2008   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Mewelde Moore is hardly a cap consideration at all--he will be signing somewhere for a small bonus on top of league minimum.
Old 01-15-2008   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... Just gives them a reason to puff their chests and say I got 8 years $80m (see Nate Clemment).
Moreso it gives the agents a reason to puff 'n thump.

The players are interested in one thing. Guaranteed money, a lot of it, and preferably now as opposed to later.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Moreso it gives the agents a reason to puff 'n thump.

The players are interested in one thing. Guaranteed money, a lot of it, and preferably now as opposed to later.
Exactly. So grab Moore for reasonable price, offer Asoughma a Nate C. type contract and still have enough to go after OLB Lance Briggs. Sure it will cost but two guaranteed starters and a RB would sure help and leave draft possibilites much better.

Even without a trade down, I could see best LT or RB in first and third and a center or DE in 4th.
Old 01-15-2008   #17
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys I agree lets tie up our franchise player now and open up more cap space so that we can get Nnamdi or marcus trufant I would prefer Nnamdi of the two. Lance Briggs is a product of the tampa 2 defense I think that we can get the same production out of a cheaper Boss Bailey and we can still go after Eugene Wilson or Gabril Wilson at the Safety Spot.
Old 01-15-2008   #18
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
. Lance Briggs is a product of the tampa 2 defense I think that we can get the same production out of a cheaper Boss Bailey and we can still go after Eugene Wilson or Gabril Wilson at the Safety Spot.

i strongly disagree
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #19
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand your POV, but there are significant FA such as Maewelde Moore RB who are in mid 20s and could sign for several years. As the email noted most lengthy contracts are back loaded and often the player doesn't play or get any $ from last year or two. Just gives them a reason to puff their chests and say I got 8 years $80m (see Nate Clemment).

Moore and a CB (there are a few possiblities) would strengthen the team NOW and play for several years at significant positions. Why not resign Mario in 09 and give him a reason to want to remain with team as in good players besides just a boost in his income?
Moore at best is a 3rd down back and doesn't bring much to the table as far as a feature back goes....he just brings more D Walker type play here. We have enough middle of the road backs imo.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Moore at best is a 3rd down back and doesn't bring much to the table as far as a feature back goes....he just brings more D Walker type play here. We have enough middle of the road backs imo.
I guess I got caught up on some of the comments on FA threads where several thought he was an "awesome" RB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read