Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-14-2008   #1
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Philip Rivers is a punk

Looks like PFT is seeing the same thing that I've been seeing since the last Denver/SD game. I thought that he looked like a jerk-off when he was on the field trash-talking Jay Cutler.

He reinforced my perception while he was jawing with Indy fans when he was walking off the field during the 3rd quarter to the locker room.

Then I read this. Now there's no doubt.

Quote:
RIVERS NEEDS TO GROW UP

One thing that has been sticking in our craw (we'll feel even more strongly about that once we figure out what a craw is) is the post-game antics of Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who was openly jawing with Colts fans after the Chargers sealed an incredible and unlikely road win to close out the RCA Dome.

It's the latest instance of Rivers acting like a punk, and he needs to grow up if he plans to become a respected NFL quarterback. All too often, he has the demeanor of a spoiled-rotten 10-year-old who neither knows how to control his inner emotions, nor cares.

The sad part is that he's becoming an excellent NFL quarterback, justifying the team's decision to keep him instead of Drew Brees. But he's also becoming the worst kind of asshole -- a reckless asshole who makes no effort to temper his tantrums, or to pick his battles.

At a minimum, he deserves a fine for his interactions with the Indy fans. Catching abuse from the home team's partisans goes with the territory. The players in every instance need to be the ones who defuse the situation by ignoring the things they hear, or by responding on the field.
I didn't see his exchange with Indy's fans after the game, but he was on the sideline while Volek clinched the victory. What a douchebag.

I hope that it snows in New England this weekend and he catches a snow-covered size D battery to the side of his dome.

Since the Texans weren't involved, I've been pretty impartial during the playoffs. But now I finally have a rooting interest and it's anyone who can hurry up and send this bastard to the golf course.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124814 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Philip Rivers is a punk

I didn't mind the running to the locker room saying "I'll be back" or whatever, my problem was after he came back out from the locker room, couldn't go and yet was jawing with the fans behind the bench.... but either way, yes, he is a douche.
Old 01-14-2008   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Rivers...he is a fiery competitor. He's not one of the cloned up shiny happy people. Way too many yes-men running around today.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 124814 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Notice that I did not critique his play on the field, because I do agree with you Vinny... He is a fiery competitor. I just have an issue with someone jawing with the fans when it was clear that he was injured and would not return.

I thought it was pretty evident that he (Rivers) was not going to return when there was a close-up of LT talking to Rivers on the sidelines and it appeared that LT asked Rivers a question.. LT did not like the response and kind of winced as he turned away... I suspected then, that Rivers was not coming back in.
Old 01-14-2008   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I like Rivers...he is a fiery competitor. He's not one of the cloned up shiny happy people. Way too many yes-men running around today.
Yes, but is he good enough to talk smack? I don't think he is. He and Crayton need to shut their hole and play ball.
Old 01-14-2008   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

He was playing pretty well yesterday...until he got hurt.
Old 01-14-2008   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yes, but is he good enough to talk smack? I don't think he is. He and Crayton need to shut their hole and play ball.
eh, smoke em if you got em....its a fiery emotional game. I think the league and the fans try to take the emotion out of the games too often. Let em jaw, and let em play. It all sorts itself out at the end of the day.

Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
eh, smoke em if you got em....its a fiery emotional game. I think the league and the fans try to take the emotion out of the games too often. Let em jaw, and let em play. It all sorts itself out at the end of the day.
Different strokes, I guess. IMO, there are stripes that should be earned before 'X' player begins to talk smack.
Old 01-14-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Different strokes, I guess. IMO, there are stripes that should be earned before 'X' player begins to talk smack.
yeah, talking without having anything to back it up has a cost....but the cost is usually on the field. It's like a free market economy - you can bring any hairbrained product to the market but nobody has to buy it.

Old 01-14-2008   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

So why is it OK for the fans to act like punks, but not the players?

Because the players shouldn't sink down the 'fans' level? Oh, OK!

As long as you can back up the smack with play on the field, bring it on. Rivers clearly backed it up.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #11
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Being a fiery competitor is great and all, but it comes back to bite you in the ass. I lost a lot of respect for LT last year when he cried about the way the Pats acted during their playoff game.

Seems to me like he needs to go tell Merriman and Rivers to shut the hell up while he's at it.
Old 01-14-2008   #12
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Being a fiery competitor is great and all, but it comes back to bite you in the ass. I lost a lot of respect for LT last year when he cried about the way the Pats acted during their playoff game.

Seems to me like he needs to go tell Merriman and Rivers to shut the hell up while he's at it.
I think it's appropriate that Rivers gets to play a player I consider the dirtiest in the NFL next Sunday in Harrison. That alone is worth the price of admission. Also, their whining began in earnest when the Pats had the audacity to celebrate their upset last year in the playoffs by dancing at the center of the field, which was also where the Chargers logo was. Guess now they have their chance to get revenge and end this chip on their shoulder crap that clearly has developed.

Besides, who wouldn't want to see that really cool Norv shuffle again?

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Colts fans are a classless bunch. Did you hear them BOOO the kid who won the punt/pass contest? (or whatever it's called now)

It was a little kid wearing a Patriots jersey, as each of them wore different teams unis. But they BOOO'ed the kid!!

Real classy there, Colts fan. Yet another reason not to like your team.

I have no problem with what Rivers did. He just got tired of the verbal abuse and threw it back at them. Perfect. The long faces on Colts fans faces, along with Dungy and Manning, were just beautiful.
Old 01-14-2008   #14
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Colts fans are a classless bunch. Did you hear them BOOO the kid who won the punt/pass contest? (or whatever it's called now)

It was a little kid wearing a Patriots jersey, as each of them wore different teams unis. But they BOOO'ed the kid!!

I have no problem with what Rivers did. He just got tired of the verbal abuse and threw it back at them. Perfect. The long faces on Colts fans faces, along with Dungy and Manning, were just beautiful.
LOL they boo a rival kid (like if it's in Cleveland they would boo the kid from Pittsburgh) every year. I always LMAO when it happens.

I agree on Manning and it still kills me that the poser got his ring last year. Dungy? I have always respected him and wish he coached another team than one I have to hate.

Old 01-14-2008   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
That alone is worth the price of admission. Also, their whining began in earnest when the Pats had the audacity to celebrate their upset last year in the playoffs by dancing at the center of the field, which was also where the Chargers logo was. Guess now they have their chance to get revenge and end this chip on their shoulder crap that clearly has developed.
It wasn't real cool to dance on another team's logo, but LT was also crying about them making fun of Merriman's stupid sack dance.

I don't care what LT says. That queer WWE dance is fair game. That dance put Merriman pretty high up the flagpole (to use a Roger-ism.)
Old 01-14-2008   #16
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
It wasn't real cool to dance on another team's logo, but LT was also crying about them making fun of Merriman's stupid sack dance.

I don't care what LT says. That queer WWE dance is fair game. That dance put Merriman pretty high up the flagpole (to use a Roger-ism.)
I think it's going to be academic. The Pats will destroy them, but the Chargers will have the built in excuse that LT and Rivers played hurt and the whining will resume.

Yawn.

Old 01-14-2008   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

This is the incident that first had me thinking this guy is a jerk-off. Yesterday's antics don't have me thinking any different.

The video speaks for itself. Maybe you guys see a fiery competitor, but I just see a mediocre douchebag with a bunch of Pro-Bowlers around him.
Old 01-14-2008   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone know what Rivers actually said to these guy's .... If I were in his shoes I probably woulda told the Indy fans to look at the scoreboard and enjoy their vacation cause I have a date in Foxborough !

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

So it's ok for the fans to trash talk him but when he replies in kind he's a douche bag? Ahh whatever.

Like him or not, he's done something we haven't done - beat the Colts at home rested in the PLAYOFFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 132729 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I did chuckle that they boo'd a 12 year girl winner because she was wearing her Pats jersey; it is pretty bad to boo a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read