Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-11-2008   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Larry Allen to Retire

I think most have already seen or heard the news that Larry Allen will retire, but I noticed it wasn't posted. I've always liked Larry Allen for some reason. Yes, even when he was with the Cowpatties. I believe it probably has something to do with his quiet but happy demeanor. It seemed he was laughing everytime they'd get him on camera during the Pro-Bowl events.

Anyways, let's hear some props for one of the big nasties that has played the game the right way.

Quote:
San Francisco's offense was thrown for a loss Thursday, when a source close to 49ers guard Larry Allen said the 11-time Pro-Bowl and future Hall-of-Fame selection is expected to retire.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
Old 01-11-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Larry Allen to Retire

I still remember him running down the guy after the interception. He was always a favorite of mine and I was sad when he left the Cowboys...or was nudged out.
Old 01-11-2008   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I still remember him running down the guy after the interception. He was always a favorite of mine and I was sad when he left the Cowboys...or was nudged out.
You know, after reading the article it left me wondering why he ever left the cowboys. The article said he and Jones are somewhat close.

Eh, who knows? Maybe they thought he was getting a bit "long in the tooth".
Old 01-11-2008   #4
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Larry is from the Bay area and wanted a chance to play close to his roots.

He was scary good in his heyday. HOF.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #5
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
You know, after reading the article it left me wondering why he ever left the cowboys. The article said he and Jones are somewhat close.

Eh, who knows? Maybe they thought he was getting a bit "long in the tooth".
I think it was a combination of things. He had always been a high contract guy for them..rightfully so..and when it came time to make some cap space they decided that his age made him a guy they could move on without. He had some injuries and he really did have a down year or two. But I think he took it well and played it out with SF.
Old 01-11-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I think Larry is from the Bay area and wanted a chance to play close to his roots.

He was scary good in his heyday. HOF.
I think he's still pretty dadgum good. Yes, most definitely a first ballot HOFer.
Old 01-11-2008   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

My hatred of the Cowboys aside, Larry Allen was great.... As WWJD & Frog said 'HOF' and 'Yes, most definitely a first ballot HOFer'
Old 01-11-2008   #8
austintexanite
All Pro

Hate the team from south Oklahoma, but he was a great player.
Old 01-11-2008   #9
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 40 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

It was an honor watching you in play in SF Larry. Good luck.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

america now needs someone to perennially put in the Pro Bowl every year at guard for the NFC.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
america now needs someone to perennially put in the Pro Bowl every year at guard for the NFC.
Leonard Davis.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #12
austintexanite
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Leonard Davis.
Sad, but oh so true.
Old 01-11-2008   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

About as good as they get IMO. Hope he has a great retirement.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just thinking about how much John Madden use to talk about Larry when he was doing the Cowboys games....he was his favorite player I think!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #15
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Madden noticably has a thing for players who are tough and rarely miss games.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read