Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2008   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Gibbs and the O-line

I've heard a lot of coaches like to send unproven O-linemen to NFL Europe. I've heard from someone that they shut it down (not sure if that's true). If not, would Gibbs still be in favor of sending some of our guys over there to train in the offseason, and if it is shut down, would be have a meeting with them on what he expects them to do during their offseason, or wait until they get back to meet?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gibbs and the O-line

NFL Europa is dead.
Old 01-10-2008   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I was listening to 1560 today and Lance said a few things regarding Gibbs and the o-line:
1. Don't expect Spencer to be back. He heard from "someone who would know" that it's not looking good for his return.

2. Don't expect Weary to be back because he is too slow for the zone scheme.

3. Eric Winston is "a perfect fit" for the zone scheme. Makes me wonder if he could be moved to LT (my speculation not Lance's)

4. Gibbs is *very* adept at finding effective OL and RB in the later rounds. Lance thinks that it is almost a guarantee that we take a LT in the first and a RB in the third (this part was implicit.)
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #4
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

LT in the first makes sense from a couple different angles. First, we have had subpar to poor play at LT for years now. Even if you believe that Salaam did an admirable job, he's no spring chicken. And unless Gibbs has a specific later-round prospect in mind, providing him with top talent is never a bad thing. I'm sure Gibbs, Kubiak, and The Better Smith will be analyzing prospects heavily to decide which LT to take.
Old 01-10-2008   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to pick up a running back like Cory Boyd in the 5th round.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I was listening to 1560 today and Lance said a few things regarding Gibbs and the o-line:
1. Don't expect Spencer to be back. He heard from "someone who would know" that it's not looking good for his return.

3. Eric Winston is "a perfect fit" for the zone scheme. Makes me wonder if he could be moved to LT (my speculation not Lance's)

4. Gibbs is *very* adept at finding effective OL and RB in the later rounds. Lance thinks that it is almost a guarantee that we take a LT in the first and a RB in the third (this part was implicit.)
I wouldn't be upset with that at all if there's a LT there for us. I'd expect us to have signed a DB or two via FA if we were to go that route.

LZ made some decent points in his comments to his blog readers too. Here's a partial comment to a reader about CB's. IMO, considering the number of holes we need to attempt to fill in FA, Randall Gay's probably the only one out of the bunch the Texans can truly afford. This is the only season he's been healthy so he should be the cheapest of the bunch.

Quote:
If the Raiders let Asomugha get away they are total idiots. In free agency, the pecking order for CBs will be 1. Asomugha 2. Trufant 3. Samuel and 4. Gay. I think Gay is the only one the Texans could potentially target and I think Samuel is the only one of the top 3 who ends up gone from their team.
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...1/post_38.html

*Edit* Dadgummit! I didn't mean to ramble off-topic. After posting this I realized how I kinda stumbled out to left field. My apologies.

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 01-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's easy to be adept at grooming later round prospects when you have someone good enough ahead of them. We don't have that luxury by far.

As far as RBs are concerned it seems like some people here have amensia concerned as to what type of RB that is. In the Past most of the 1000 rushers churned out of nowhere from Denver generally weren't the speedy flash type. They were simple north/south runner who made one cut and run downhill. I think a guy like Patrick out of OU would fit perfectly with what we're looking for supposedly.

Would love to see a LT this year finally but not going to hold my breath on it. It'd also be nice if Eslinger could emerge as the guy at C. With the tackles in our division we're really going to have to improve the interior oline if we want to finish on top of the division.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2008   #8
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for summarizing what you heard. Being 3 hours away, I rely on you guys to feed my information as it "comes off the presses."

Any idea if his return being doubtful was because of the injury? Because he didn't fit the zbs? Both?
Old 01-10-2008   #9
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Missed LZ this morning - did he say Spencer wouldn't be back because he doesn't fit into the scheme, or because of health?

The reason I ask that is that it hasn't been too long ago (a month or less) when he (LZ) said that he was hearing very positive things about Spencer's rehab.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Gibbs will teach our linemen to be the cheapshot kings that the Broncos are
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Thanks for summarizing what you heard. Being 3 hours away, I rely on you guys to feed my information as it "comes off the presses."

Any idea if his return being doubtful was because of the injury? Because he didn't fit the zbs? Both?
He said that Spencer's leg isn't rebuilding from the atrophy he experienced. He also said that Spencer is having trouble dropping the weight he gained in his time off. He said Spencer would be a great fit at G in the zb scheme but that his return isn't looking likely (I think his exact words were "don't expect him to return".)

Also a couple of things he also mentioned that I forgot to add:
1. Matt Briesel is a very good fit in the zb scheme. He could be a serious contender for a starting job

2. Gibbs will be working a lot with Little Shanahan and John Benton to groom them just as he did with Kubiak in Denver.

Oh and, you can listen live from their website: http://1560thegame.com/

Last edited by nero THE zero; 01-10-2008 at 03:59 PM.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #12
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans could always trade down a hand full of spots and pick up a 2nd to spend on a RB. Not that I expect it. I thought they might do that the last couple of years. Trade down that is.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm always interested in hearing about LZs thoughts on the NFL, especially OLine players because of knowledge and contacts, one of whom is the OLine coach of the Steelers who happens to be his dad.
1. I hate to hear that about Spencer
2. The injury Weary sustained further complicates his situation, but him not returning isn't the major disappointment of the LZ report on Spencer.
3. Agreed about Winston, but if #4 is true he obviously remains at RT.
4. Totally agree with these priorities, which also means they would for sure go after a CB, which is as high a priority as the other two, in FA.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #14
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

They changed the name from NFL Europe to NFL Europa, then closed it down a few months later. Pretty lame imo...
Old 01-10-2008   #15
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm expecting expanded rosters* coming out of the owners meetings to compensate for lost NFLE exemptions.

* maybe an extra 5 or 6 players from March 1 - Sept 1 kind of thing.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This whole post is very informative and interesting. Thanks Nero!

Since the hiring of Gibbs yesterday, I've been wondering about what he will do to the O-line and who he will target in the Draft. It's sad to hear about Spencer and Weary, and I know with those leg injuries they will probably lose a step, but it could open the door for guys like Brisiel, Eslinger and Frye. I'm not sure about Studdard. I've always heard he's not very quick.

As for what O-linemen they target in the Draft, I'm sure that will change now that Gibbs is onboard. We are less likely to go for the bigger linemen, unless they have very good footspeed/footwork. Baker would probably fit Gibbs' ZB scheme moreso than Clady, Otah, or Loadholt. Personally, I'm not sold on Baker and would rather go with Otah or Clady, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens and trust in Gibbs/Kubes. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I was always under the assumption that Sam Baker worked in a zone scheme with USC for his 3 years that he's been there.

In all honesty, I'm a little surprised that LZ thinks that the 1st round LT is a lock. 18 spots in the draft is a lot of spots down where a lot of people can already be off the board. I would think that the way Kubiak (And later on Kubiak and Smith) have drafted in the past would pretty much relegate us to a BPA at our spot type of thinking.

If Baker, Long, Clady, and Otah are all gone off the board, but both of the Jenkins (CB's) and Tali, and Phillips are on the board, I'd say we almost have to draft one of those guys.

And all this talk about being able to find O-line talent in the later rounds, and then coming back and saying 1st round LT is a lock, I'm sort of perplexed here.
Old 01-10-2008   #18
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

From everything I remember hearing and seeing about his days in Denver and Atlanta, Gibbs is not the most patient guy in the world when it comes to learning on the job. If that's true, then I would think that the Texans might be more inclined to steer clear of using a 1st round pick on O-Linemen, and concentrate somewhere else (Another CB would be great in my book).

Hopefully Gibbs has the contacts and the credibility to make the Texans a desirable spot for O-Line Free Agents. For better or worse (really, just for worse), we got several of Sherman's old players down here - anybody out there the Gibbs might be able to convince to sign with an up and coming team?
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
I'm expecting expanded rosters* coming out of the owners meetings to compensate for lost NFLE exemptions.

* maybe an extra 5 or 6 players from March 1 - Sept 1 kind of thing.
Easy work-around. Good idea!
Old 01-12-2008   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I'd love to pick up a running back like Cory Boyd in the 5th round.
Agreed. Put a halter on him and get him on the meds, then cut the guy loose.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read