Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-10-2008   #1
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected
Default SF49erFaithful's 2008 NFL Mock draft (january edition)

1. Miami - Chris Long

2. St. Louis - Jake Long

3. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan

4. Oakland - Darren McFadden

5. Kansas City chiefs - Glenn Dorsey

6. NYJ - Vernon Gholston

7. New England (from SF) - Mike Jenkins

8. Baltimore - Malcolm Jenkins

9. Cincinatti - Sedrick Ellis

10. New Orleans - Dan Connor

11. Buffalo - Ryan Clady

12. Denver - Keith Rivers

13. Carolina - Malcolm Kelly

14. Chicago - Desean Jackson

15. Detroit - Antoine Cason

16. Cardinals - Aqib Talib

17. Minnesota Vikings - James Hardy

18. Houston Texans - Kenny Phillips

19. Philidelphia - Derrick Harvey

20. Tampa - Xavier Adibi

21. Washington - Jeff Otah

22. Dallas (from Cleveland) - Felix Jones

23. Seattle - Jonathan Stewart

24. Pittsburgh - Sam Baker

25. Tennessee - Early Doucet

26. NYG - Pat Sims

27. SD - Chris Williams

28. JAX - Gosder Cherilus

29. GB - Martenellus Bennett

30. Dallas - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

31. SF (from Indy) - Quentin Groves

32. Forfeited pick (from NE spygate)

Round 2

1. Miami - Kentwam Balmer
2. St. Louis - Calais Campell
3. KC - Brian Brohm
4. Oakland - Andre Caldwell
5. Atlanta - Rashard Mendenhall
6. New York Jets - Kevin Smith
7. Baltimore - Adarius Bowman
8. SF - Mike Pollack
9. Cincy - Ali Highsmith
10. New Orleans - Leodis McLevin
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #2
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: SF49erFaithful's 2008 NFL Mock draft (january edition)

Kenny Phillips?!

I love it.

Only problem I have with the mock is I'm not so sure Felix Jones is the 2nd best RB in the draft.
Old 01-10-2008   #3
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Kenny Phillips?!

I love it.

Only problem I have with the mock is I'm not so sure Felix Jones is the 2nd best RB in the draft.
Yeah, that's definitely debatable. But part of that pick had to do with the Jerry Jones - Arkansas tie.
Old 01-10-2008   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

as more and more people figure out the obvious, they'll start putting Chris Long to Miami in every mock. just makes more sense than anyone else right now.

and Balmer is a Parcells guy up front, too.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Take a mere safety with Sam Baker and especially Jeff Otah still on the Board ? Not gonna happen.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

why would buffalo take clady when they have peters?? both seem to be (exclusive) LT candidates
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

How about this scenario?
Corner back Asomugha free agent from Oakland. Offer this 26 year old $20million for five years with $10 as a bonus. $2m base + $2m bonus= $4m cap.

Running back Mewelde Moore Viking free agent. Offer $15m for five years with $5m bonus. $2m base + $1m bonus= $3m cap hit. This back up for Minnesota is 5'11" 210 with excellent stats and some of you have voiced he is an excellent RB. Pretty good receiver out of BF.

OLB all pro Lance Briggs. Offer $40million for five years with $15m bonus. Contract to be structured like Nate Clemments (thanks for info Infantrycak) with $1m first year + $3m bonus= $4m cap hit for 08. Now here is the sweetner for Briggs. Guarantee all the money!

Total cap hit for 2008 is $11million and more could be offered to sign these three if needed and still allow $ to sign draft selections and our FA.

Draft:

1. Kenny Phillips who slipping or not is by far best FS and 610 radio mentioned that Demps agent may have priced him out of Texan's plans.

3. I am hoping for a trade down and getting a 2 but let's go with what we have and draft a LT. Alex Boone (may be gone),Nathan Collins or Tony Hill. I think Michael Oher and Gosder Cherilus will be gone. The latter had difficulties after switching to LT last season but should do well as a back up to Salaam for a year and allow our starter some time off each game. Our new A'head coach and the Oline coach should both be able to turn him into a starter, if he is available.
4. Mike McGlynn C/OT/OG/long snapper 6'5" 317 5.25 Pittsburgh I selected him for center and long snapper who can back up the oline.
5. Chris Harrington DE 6'5" 268 A&M leading tackler on D line 2 years in row.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings....php?pyid=8890
6& 7 BPA
If this scenario was to work out it should address all holes. I am concerned that Andre Davis might not sign. JJ may be #2 then but still a ?
Old 01-10-2008   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Sounds good, although I think Asomugha will go for more money. I'm really warming up to Mewelde though and think he could be a great addition to our team. He's still pretty young too (only 25 or 26).
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

no way Kenny Phillips slips to the Texans. he is the best playmaking db in the draft. Saints will take him if not & he does slip a little he won't get by Arizona. in this case Rick Smith should trade down 2-3 picks for additional 3rd & take Sam Baker.

also some of your 2nd rd. picks are mid first rd. talent. I'm sure Miami, St. Louis, KC, Oakland & Atlanta would love this scenero but its not happening.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #10
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure Bennett is first round talent...in fact NM i don't think he is first round talent. He's not even close to Olson from last year.

Brohm I think goes first round well as Campbell. Also Don't see why KC takes him with Brody Croyle as Herm's guy.

Don't see why Jake Long goes to St. Louis just yet with Pace there.

Stewart to Seattle just makes sense if he's there and I think he's the second best back in the draft not Felix... but I do agree on the jerruh jones influence. It wouldn't suprise me however to see them take Desean Jackson with TO aging and Glenn getting up there as well. IT wouldn't surpise me with Wlater Jones getting older seeing them go OLINE in Seattle. They just have not been the same team since they lost Hutchinson.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
why would buffalo take clady when they have peters?? both seem to be (exclusive) LT candidates
That's what I keep asking. Didn't Peters just make second team all pro ? They've had a spot of trouble at the DT position. Doubt ellis makes down that far.
Old 01-10-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Corner back Asomugha free agent from Oakland. Offer this 26 year old $20million for five years with $10 as a bonus. $2m base + $2m bonus= $4m cap.
Asomugha is a $50 million guy.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
no way Kenny Phillips slips to the Texans. he is the best playmaking db in the draft. Saints will take him if not & he does slip a little he won't get by Arizona. in this case Rick Smith should trade down 2-3 picks for additional 3rd & take Sam Baker.

also some of your 2nd rd. picks are mid first rd. talent. I'm sure Miami, St. Louis, KC, Oakland & Atlanta would love this scenero but its not happening.
I'm praying that soemone else solves the Phillips riddle befor we come up to bat.

One thing I do agree with in this mock...the corners will be hot commodities.

25. Tennesse. Anyone who's seen Tennesse this season KNOWS...they don't need the flashiest WR....they need the most dependable...most athletic, best hands WR, they can get. I believe they are in the market...they'll take the Cb first with KR tallents or a Will LB. Then they'll cherry pick the vacuum hands at reciever on day two.
Old 01-10-2008   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Asomugha is a $50 million guy.
At least. The last hot CB went for eighty. If he's as good as we're projecting he's agent would be an ***** to take less than 50 mill.
Old 01-10-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
At least. The last hot CB went for eighty. If he's as good as we're projecting he's agent would be an ***** to take less than 50 mill.
Clements signed $80 m for eight years. He was 27. Anyone think he will play the entire contract? Give Asomugha an 8 year deal and back load it like Clements (only $26million was guaranteed). Up the bonus to $25 (Bonus hit is $3m + the base, say $3m (3 times what Clements received) and the cap hit is only $6m and still doable.
Old 01-10-2008   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm praying that soemone else solves the Phillips riddle befor we come up to bat.

One thing I do agree with in this mock...the corners will be hot commodities.

25. Tennesse. Anyone who's seen Tennesse this season KNOWS...they don't need the flashiest WR....they need the most dependable...most athletic, best hands WR, they can get. I believe they are in the market...they'll take the Cb first with KR tallents or a Will LB. Then they'll cherry pick the vacuum hands at reciever on day two.
even with a certain mr jones returning next yr?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If i am remembering right things aren't looking real good for his return even next year.

Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Not only that, but Finnegan & Harper are looking pretty good.
Old 01-10-2008   #19
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Take a mere safety with Sam Baker and especially Jeff Otah still on the Board ? Not gonna happen.
Obviously that's a definite possibility. But in Denver Kubiak largely used mid-late round guys at O-line. And you guys have needed a tackle for a while but have never really taken one. That was my reasoning behind the pick, fwiw.
Old 01-10-2008   #20
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

I think Kenny Phillips had like 1 interception this year. I only watched about 1 Miami game, but from what I've gathered seems like he's valued where he is because of his athletic ability.

Also, who did you have in mind particularly about my 2nd round guys? I don't see those guys going in the 2nd unrealistic at all.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read