Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Best zone blocking LT in draft?

Who do you think is the best LT for the zone blocking scheme in the upcoming draft? From what i've seen i'd have to say that Collins from Kansas would be the best fit for our offense and plug a hole that has needed to be plugged since we got Boselli.
Old 01-09-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44115 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best zone blocking LT in draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Who do you think is the best LT for the zone blocking scheme in the upcoming draft? From what i've seen i'd have to say that Collins from Kansas would be the best fit for our offense and plug a hole that has needed to be plugged since we got Boselli.
USC LT Sam Baker
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
USC LT Sam Baker
Isn't he dropping due to injury questions? I remember we picked up Winston in the 3rd because he dropped for injury questions and the whole t-rex arms thing. That didn't turn out too bad.
Old 01-09-2008   #4
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77712 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a USC fan, and Baker isn't the answer. Too many injuries and isn't too dominate in the running game. I'd take him in the 3rd in a heartbeat, but not in the first.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #5
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I remember we picked up Winston in the 3rd because he dropped for injury questions and the whole t-rex arms thing. That didn't turn out too bad.
His cement shoes at the Senior Bowl did not help him either.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #6
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Brad Cottam TE from Tennessee
Height:6-8
Weight:270
Year:Senior
Junior College
High SchoolEvangelical Christian
Hometown:Germantown, Tenn

Just a thought, Gibbs has converted TE to LT before...
Old 01-09-2008   #7
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
His cement shoes at the Senior Bowl did not help him either.
Yup, he looked real slow and not very comanding or strong in that game.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2008   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 82184 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Year:Senior
Junior College
High SchoolEvangelical Christian
Hometown:Germantown, Tenn

I'm not a big fan of the following phrase, but here it is anyway:
WOW, just WOW...
...THE position that we've all been screaming to have upgraded, and the solution is to convert a TE???
No offense, but THE last thing I think we need at the position is a project, regardless of anyone's past success coaching such a conversion...
Sometimes thinking outside the box is overrated.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I can ALMOST promise you that we are going to be grabbing projects like Cottam this year. We will hopefully also find some patchwork guys to make our line better, but I think that..if Gibbs is gonna be staying a while.. we are gonna let him pick up the late round guys he needs to build the ZB oline that he is good at.

Denver made a dominant oline out of 7th rounders, UDFAs, and converted TEs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 117883 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
...THE position that we've all been screaming to have upgraded, and the solution is to convert a TE???
No offense, but THE last thing I think we need at the position is a project, regardless of anyone's past success coaching such a conversion...
I don't think painekiller is suggesting using the #1 pick on Cottam. He would be a later round pick.

In '04, the Bills signed an oversized TE out of Arkansas named Jason Peters as a college free agent. He made the roster as a blocking TE, was moved to OT his 2nd season, and after 4 years became an All-Pro.

Not saying that Cottam would follow the same path. But, he may have the feet and wing span required of the LT position. He might need to gain around 25 lbs in a Alex Gibbs type zone blocking scheme, which could take a year or two. In the mean time, Cottam could fill the blocking TE role, ala Mark Bruener.

It wouldn't be an immediate solution at LT, but I question whether the Texans will find that at #18 in this draft. Salaam might be the best option the Texans have for the '08 season. If you're looking at LT long term, why not look at a long term prospect?

Nice suggestion, painekiller.
Old 01-10-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So with the hire of Gibbs is it looking less likely we're going to get a 1st round LT? And the whole Denver-RB philosophy of 1st rd picks.... I'm one of the thinking that if one of those is the clear cut Best Pick Available they will pull the trigger and take 'em but will def. entertain trade offers.

I say this every year...but ooohhh this draft is going to be fun to watch.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
So with the hire of Gibbs is it looking less likely we're going to get a 1st round LT? And the whole Denver-RB philosophy of 1st rd picks.... I'm one of the thinking that if one of those is the clear cut Best Pick Available they will pull the trigger and take 'em but will def. entertain trade offers.

I say this every year...but ooohhh this draft is going to be fun to watch.
I think this is a good projection. Denver has used early picks on linemen before when the value was good for them. Same was said about RB and we were on the heels of trading back in the first for DeAngelo williams. Not saying we will or won't do anything reguarding either in the first.

I think what's also forgotten is when Shannahan came in it's not like the Oline was in a bad plight like ours is here. They could afford to make 5th round and later picks on the line becasue they could groom them into what they want and needed them to do.Not saying we are in a postion to do that here quite yet but we're way better off now then when Kubiak first arrived.I think he has a bit of wiggle room now with the line and I wonder if Sherman after one way or another helping engineer a rather remarkable turnaround on our line would've stuck around after this year anyway.

We need help at DB, LT, and RB in no paticular order and long as we address those needs in either FA or via the draft long as this team keepsh eaded upwards SMARTLY.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44115 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Well I can ALMOST promise you that we are going to be grabbing projects like Cottam this year. We will hopefully also find some patchwork guys to make our line better, but I think that..if Gibbs is gonna be staying a while.. we are gonna let him pick up the late round guys he needs to build the ZB oline that he is good at.

Denver made a dominant oline out of 7th rounders, UDFAs, and converted TEs.
you may be right but you need at least one building block. now refresh my memory but was there not a Hall of Fame LT in Denver protecting Elway? Gary Zimmerman

in 83 draft they used the 4th overall pick on Guard Chris Hinton & 31st overall pick (thats like 2 #1's on OL) T Mark Cooper. oh yeah should mention they also drafted Gary Kubiak that year in the 8th rd. so thats where I choose to start reference as to the importance of OL in regards to this thread. In 85 they used their #1 pick on a RB, yes RB Steve Sewell. 86-87 they went to the Super Bowl but lost both games. they dropped off the next year but returned in 89 only to lose again. rebuild.

Gary Zimmerman was acquired by the Denver Broncos in a trade with Minnesota prior to the last preseason game of the 1993 season. In 94 they drafted Tom Nalon 7th rd. 95 Terrell Davis 5th rd. 96 drafted OT Leslie Ratliffe & G Chris Banks in the 7th rd. in 97 & 98 the Denver Broncos won the Super Bowl.

long post to make a short point. you need a centerpiece to build around on the OL you just can't do it with only 7th rd. picks @ the same time you can't use all your high picks on the OL because of other needs but you do need at least one & right now the Texans have nothing remotely close.
Old 01-10-2008   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 117883 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you may be right but you need at least one building block. now refresh my memory but was there not a Hall of Fame LT in Denver protecting Elway? Gary Zimmerman
If you're talking about the Oregon Sports Hall of Fame, then yes. Gary Zimmerman is a HOFer. Couple of points.

1) Zimmerman was acquired before Shanahan, Kubiak, and Gibbs came back to the Broncos.
2) Hinton was part of the Elway deal and never played a down for the Broncos.

Gibbs has a reputation for disliking "prima donnas", and wants his linemen to be blue collar type guys. I don't think that necessarily discounts the Texans taking an offensive lineman in the 1st round. As long as they have the right attitude.
Old 01-10-2008   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

I assumed he would have been by now if not I know he must be on the short list. http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...+Class+of+2008

GARY ZIMMERMAN
Tackle. . .6-6, 294. . .Oregon. . .1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-1997 Denver Broncos. . .12 seasons, 184 games. . .Selected in first round (3rd player overall) 1984 NFL Supplemental Draft. . .Originally selected by Giants, signing rights traded to Vikings for two second-round picks in 1986 draft. . .Spent two seasons with the L.A. Express of failed USFL before reporting to Vikings. . .After joining Vikings, began streak of 169 consecutive starts that lasted until 1996 when surgery sidelined him. . .Anchored offensive line that helped Vikings lead NFC in rushing, 1991. . .Acquired by Broncos in trade prior to start of 1993 season. . .With Zimmerman blocking, Broncos recorded most successful offensive output in franchise history. . .Led AFC in total combined yards, 1995. . .Led NFL in that category, 1996, 1997. . .Broncos also led NFL in rushing, 1996. . .Equally adept at pass blocking, Minnesota and Denver quarterbacks led their conferences in passing 1986, 1988, 1993, 1996. . .One of just handful of players to earn honor of being named to two NFL All-Decade Teams, 1980s, 1990s. . .Earned first- or second-team All-Pro honors eight times. . .Selected to play in seven Pro Bowls. . .Born December 13, 1961 in Fullerton, California.
Old 01-10-2008   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Hinton was traded to Baltimore as one of the pieces that brought Elway to Denver.

Edit: Lucky already said it.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm not a big fan of the following phrase, but here it is anyway:
WOW, just WOW...
Matt Lepsis wasn't choped liver. and with all due repect to the mocker who Picked OLT in the first for Bufallo recently, Jason Peters just made second team all pro.

We've got a coach with a proven track record....if he wants the guys to play naked, I ask expect them to strip down befor he finishes his statement.

If he tags a guy in the draft, TE what ever I expect the Texan's guys to sprint to the podium with the card.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Matt Lepsis wasn't choped liver. and with all due repect to the mocker who Picked OLT in the first for Bufallo recently, Jason Peters just made second team all pro.

We've got a coach with a proven track record....if he wants the guys to play naked, I ask expect them to strip down befor he finishes his statement.

If he tags a guy in the draft, TE what ever I expect the Texan's guys to sprint to the podium with the card.
Lets hope it plays out this way.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Deleted my post.
Old 01-10-2008   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Heck I would not be surprised to see Pitts moved back outside, nothing that happens to the OL this offseason will surprise me.

And as Lucky said, Cottam would be a 6th or 7th rounder. Start bulking him up, use him as a blocking TE, BTW he can catch and run routes. I would not be unhappy if they drafted him to be the TE.

But he has the frame of a tackle, can he learn the technique?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read