Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2008   #1
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Charles Spencer Vows to Return

"Offensive tackle Charles Spencer, one of the most promising prospects from the Texans' 2006 draft class, missed the entire 2007 season to injury. Spencer has no intention of missing 2008."

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/#
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Charles Spencer Vows to Return

stop teasing me. I'll believe it when he's laced up, locked and loaded. Smells like Boselli II to me.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-09-2008 at 03:14 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
stop teasing me. I'll believe it when he's laced up, locked and loaded. Smells like Boselli II to me.
With the Bronco offense, the lineman have traditionally been chosen to weigh around or below 300 pounds. Spencer had a history in college of having his weight get away from him. His playing weight at the beginning of the season was around 340 pounds. The Texans were wanting to see that weight drop some for increased agility at the LT spot in a "bronco-type offense." I saw Spencer recently and he shows signs of having gone significantly the other direction, which is understandable with his injury and lack of mobility during his early rehab period. I have posted my impressions on his type of devastating injury and its implications in other threads. However, as part of his rehab, weight control/loss will be that much more important............in fact, as important to his rehab as to his potential return to the LT position on the our "new" team..................my best wishes for Charles and his difficult plight.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #4
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Great. Then he should have no problems competing with the LT we hopefully will draft in the first round of this years draft. I am no willing to bank on Charles Spencer's return, we made that mistake with Tony Boselli. Never again. I hope.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #5
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Great. Then he should have no problems competing with the LT we hopefully will draft in the first round of this years draft. I am no willing to bank on Charles Spencer's return, we made that mistake with Tony Boselli. Never again. I hope.
Bingo.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

that hat was distracting, hopefully he'll make it back and at least provide much needed depth on the o line
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
that hat was distracting, hopefully he'll make it back and at least provide much needed depth on the o line
Was that a 3D hat?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2008   #8
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude has only played about 5 quarters of football right? Wasn't it the second game of season last year he got injured. I will believe it when I see it with my own two eyes. It is still going to be a long road back for the big man.
Old 01-09-2008   #9
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Smells like Boselli II to me.
May be in the injury department but tony at least proved to be a probowl tackle for a few years.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #10
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Something tells me that the mind may be willing, but the body is weak.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Big difference here is, Spencer actually PLAYED a few downs for the Texans. Boselli NEVER DID.

Spencer got hurt whilst in the service of the Texans. Boselli was damaged goodswith a big-a$$ed contract upon arrival and "Do Not Return" stamped on the receipt.

I have confidence that Spencer will at least make a partial comeback. He may never be what we'd hoped he would, but I think he'll be at least good enough to let us dump Jordan Black.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
...but I think he'll be at least good enough to let us dump Jordan Black.
Cause Jordan Black has hurt us a bunch of times with his play on the field?

I hear he's a better guard anyway.
Old 01-10-2008   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Cause Jordan Black has hurt us a bunch of times with his play on the field?

I hear he's a better guard anyway.
The KC fans warned us (just like some of us tried to warn the Panther fans) but we didn't listen. I'm betting that Black can't beat out Spencer if he returns at 80-90% of what he was.

And I doubt that Black is better at the guard spot than Weary (assuming he comes back), Pitts, Studdard, Brisell, or McKinney.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The KC fans warned us (just like some of us tried to warn the Panther fans) but we didn't listen. I'm betting that Black can't beat out Spencer if he returns at 80-90% of what he was.

And I doubt that Black is better at the guard spot than Weary (assuming he comes back), Pitts, Studdard, Brisell, or McKinney.
I don't think Black makes the team.

Unless he turns out to be remarkably suited to what Gibbs is doing.

But I'm not expecting that at all.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Spencer will have been out of football shape for almost 2 years. Plus if he ever comes back, he'll have lost a LOT of muscle and conditioning. If he ever comes back, dont expect the big nasty you're used to.

PS: Ron Dayne should send him an apology
Old 01-10-2008   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Tony Boselli vowed to return as well.

Bennie Joppru vowed to return. I think he did it three times? Was it four?

Domanick Davis vowed to return and then to add insult to (career ending) injury so did Domanick Williams (and I didn't even know who he was or that he got hurt!)

I think it will be fantastic when Charles Spencer steps back on the field and resumes his promising career at either G or LT. At the same time I think the Texans should be planning for the future like they've already reached the injury settlement with him. It's the only sensible way to approach this kind of problem.
Old 01-10-2008   #17
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think it will be fantastic when Charles Spencer steps back on the field and resumes his promising career at either G or LT. At the same time I think the Texans should be planning for the future like they've already reached the injury settlement with him. It's the only sensible way to approach this kind of problem.
It's gonna suck big time if a guy like Spencer who had so much potential can't fully come back from an injury suffered so early in his career, but as Herv said, whether he will make it back or not we should prepare as though he isn't even going to be an option.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
It's gonna suck big time if a guy like Spencer who had so much potential can't fully come back from an injury suffered so early in his career, but as Herv said, whether he will make it back or not we should prepare as though he isn't even going to be an option.
It does suck, but that's what happens in football. I'd rather that have happened when it did (When we had no shot of doing anything that season), than to have him perform beautifully for that year and this year, and then have his leg broken in the 2nd game of the '08 season, when we were supposed to be pushing for playoffs.

If he comes back, great, but if he doesn't come back, I don't want that to be the reason the Texans fail at protecting the QB or having an awful running game this coming up season. That would show a wholehearted lack of preparation.
Old 01-10-2008   #19
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Tony Boselli vowed to return as well.

Bennie Joppru vowed to return. I think he did it three times? Was it four?

Domanick Davis vowed to return and then to add insult to (career ending) injury so did Domanick Williams (and I didn't even know who he was or that he got hurt!)

Agree 100%.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #20
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree as well. Although I doubt he'll have the footwork to become a LT or even a RT for that matter. Guard would be his best bet to make an impact on the field without hurting the team. I'd imagine that it'd be pretty hard to push him around on the interior, seeing that he's pushing 340 lbs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read