Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2008   #121
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans trying to hire Alex Gibbs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
great move with gibbs..

and about smith, remember last year we did blitz quite a bit so i think we might see more of it in the future if the secondary gets settled

We blitzed quite a bit?
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #122
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I challenge anyone to watch that video and not find yourself humming along.
Video watched but your challenge failed. I did not hum along.

I'm Deaf.

You owe me a cookie.

Last edited by NitroGSXR; 01-10-2008 at 09:04 AM.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #123
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans hire Alex Gibbs...promote Shanihan to OC

What great luck to get Gibbs on our staff. I know the moves earlier in the season were pointing to a move in the more true ZB future. What makes me curious now is if we see a shuffle in the OL. Didn't we PS a former UM LT this year or was he RT?

I definately like the move and think this staff can only benefit from his presence. I know Lil Shanahan is only 28 but I'm willing to give him a shot behind Kubiak and Gibbs backs. I'm hoping it pays dividends down the road as far as remaining on staff if he does have a successful tenure as I'm sure we all hope he has. It looks more now like Kubiak has the staff in place he wants with Gibbbs on board and Frank Bush getting in the door last year.

I'm still far from sold on Smith. I think it's still no coincidence the play calling gets more aggressive and the defense looks better. We did have a lot of injuries this season and I'll give him that but i mean how long can we continue to run what looks like to me a schemeless defense? What will this defense hang its hat on next year? How many Pro Bowl Quality Players on defense will it take to make Smith comfortable sending more on the blitz? It leaves me wondering is Smith that guy that can get this defense to crack the top 10 consistantly. I doubt we'll see the change over this year and maybe the injuries bought him one more year. I can deal just I'll be nervous about it going into next year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #124
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry Nitro I will try to find you tube with sign
Old 01-10-2008   #125
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
We blitzed quite a bit?
in 06 yeah.. i remember kubiak saying that we were blitzing too much which sparked a debate her on what a 'blitz' was.... zone blitzes etc
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #126
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 62902 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Is this the same message board that "hailed" the coming of Mike Sherman?..

The same message board that later started questioning if Sherman was actually a good hire?..

Where are the Denver connection complaints?

It seems that our O line will be starting from scratch again, not necessarily a bad or good thing, just something to ponder during the long offseason...

For the record...I'm all for the Gibbs hiring and the promotion of Shanny Jr.

I'm on the fence concerning our DC.

Old 01-10-2008   #127
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I read this earlier, and if this were to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r559C51uE
aaaahahahahaha

well IT HAPPENED. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOH, im siked, i cant wait to average a minimum of 115 rush yards per game............ yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, im glad he gave shanahan a shot at the OC job, i think theyll both do great.......

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2008   #128
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post

The same message board that later started questioning if Sherman was actually a good hire?..

It seems that our O line will be starting from scratch again, not necessarily a bad or good thing, just something to ponder during the long offseason...

Well, I think the result of that came to be what many suspected. A bastardized version of ZBS and man-block power scheme don't really mix all that well. Do one or the other, and do it well.

As far as starting over again .... regardless of the Gibbs hire, who did you think had a set job going into TC next year? Hopefully, Winston and maybe Pitts. The other jobs would all be up for grabs, if I were in charge. Salaam is past whatever prime he had, though still good for a backup. Weary, McKinney, White, and Spencer all have serious injury issues to overcome. Flanagan is past his prime. Brisiel, Studdard, and Frye are all unproven for the most part. The line was due for change anyway. I think they've added pretty athletic linemen, for the most part, so they'll fit Gibbs' ZBS scheme fine, I think. Pitts' strength really is his athleticism for his size. Spencer was thought to be very athletic for a 350lb. guy, and Winston is quick. Returns from injury leave some doubts, but for the most part, Gibbs is not going to have to try and paint his masterpiece with crayons.

This would be the perfect time to draft a LT and groom him!
Old 01-10-2008   #129
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I wouldn't think of it as starting over, cup. Think of it as an advanced class in Zone-Blocking with the teacher of the class being the best of the best.
Old 01-10-2008   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
One thing about Gibbs and its widely known, gibbs doesn't like the use of high draft picks on lineman. Gibbs would rather develop a atheletic type lineman from the 3rd rd or so.
This has been the same philosophy in Denver & what Kubiak seems to have brought here.

I know Denver has used two first day picks in the last ten years on OL, but they didn't last long.

Most of their linemen have been late first day picks, or later... some even undrafted.
Old 01-10-2008   #131
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

For all of us who like nasty Alex Gibbs is perfect! To say he is gruff is an understatement! He hates the media and in Denver would fine his players for giving comments to the media, ask Stinky he got fined for giving a quote to an Idaho rag. According to Lance Z this morning that should bring a halt to the E Salaam show and Mckinney show on 1560. "Z" also said this will be a turning point for this franchise that you can look back on years from now and clearly see a corner was turned with this hire. Only negative is he may be a short term guy!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #132
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
For all of us who like nasty Alex Gibbs is perfect! To say he is gruff is an understatement! He hates the media and in Denver would fine his players for giving comments to the media, ask Stinky he got fined for giving a quote to an Idaho rag. According to Lance Z this morning that should bring a halt to the E Salaam show and Mckinney show on 1560. "Z" also said this will be a turning point for this franchise that you can look back on years from now and clearly see a corner was turned with this hire. Only negative is he may be a short term guy!
Even if he is just a short term guy, if our coaches and players can soak up everything that he does and learn from it, we will be in a much better situation for years to come
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #133
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This has been the same philosophy in Denver & what Kubiak seems to have brought here.

I know Denver has used two first day picks in the last ten years on OL, but they didn't last long.

Most of their linemen have been late first day picks, or later... some even undrafted.
like studard, he'll be a beast if he stays healthy.... was part of the best college O lineive evr seen (at UT, vince young era)

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #134
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am excited about this!
Old 01-10-2008   #135
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Shanahan going to get a "MS" Matt Schaub tatoo now
Old 01-10-2008   #136
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 97639 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Interesting to note that George Foster, who was one of Denver's first round OTs, is a free agent from Detroit this offseason. I think Foster went to Detroit in the Dre Bly trade, but may be mistake.
FYI, Foster is a RT, so I don't know how that would jibe with what we want to do in free agency.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #137
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Pete, that was one hell of a post last page. I played TE and a little bit of H-back in a ZBS in HS for 4 years and I never got it explained like that. Yeah, we had clinics and film sessions, but to break it down like that is remarkable. We also called it "rail blocking". All of the linemen and TE would power step or rail block left or right depending on the call. We ran a CWM offense as well, and the call was made at the line.

For example, when we were running middle zone left, rail left...the line would step hard left with a DT usually lined up in the 1 technique as he said. We were actually told to widen our gaps to encourage a DT to shoot a particular hole. Anyways, the LG would rail block left into the RDT in the 1 technique. His objective was to turn the DT's shoulders and allow for the C to take over the double team as the RB was about to hit the hole while the LG would continue on his "rail" to the left, engaging with a LB attempting to either fill the hole or flow to the ball. If the block was made at the second level, it created an easy and obvious cutback lane for the RB. It was like an easy 12 yards. If the LB was able to shed the LG block before the RB passed, it was still a 5 yard gain. Sure, the play in theory failed, but it was still a 5 yard run on a "failed" play. That is the beauty of a true ZBS. I as well could talk about principles and assignments for hours.

Not my work, coach dent posted that a couple of years ago. I came from three runs and a cloud of dust program.

Well I've seen some dubious post regaurding ZBS latly. I thought the time was apt to repost it. Some of those posts were hurting my brain.
Old 01-10-2008   #138
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Pete
What do we need to fix the o-line? More talent @ LT & C or is there enough talent but we just need to get on the same page? If it is the latter I'm sure coach Gibbs will fix that. How do you feel Pitts will take to coach Gibbs? He isn't the most intense guy. Where does Mckinney fit in the ZBS? Is he atheletic enough to fit in?
I posted it the other day they will be looking for four more just like Erick Winston...The olt being the lone exception and have a longer wing span. The last Great Denver OLT was a conveted TE from Colorodo Matt Lepsis. The link is in the draft and College boards. The beauty of the system is that you can groom guys to fit. Much like in the 3-4 defense you're looking for tweener guys in the middle rounds...Like Ezra Butler and TCU's Tommy Blake to fill the OLB role, in this scheme you're looking for guys who can run and are quick enough to get angles on guys. Spencer might fit. The problem with the scheme is we have great DTs within the division. Basicaly you're tring to get guys running out of poition and then sealing them and creating a running lane. One thing you can be certain of...anyone who posts a poor wonderlick will not be picked. You gotta be able to think quick on your feet.

'nother thing I just thought of...I though that Frye would make a good ZBS center. Especailly in our division. He's not prototypical....but He squats 685 and is quick and kinda stumpy. I think he will make a good barometer. If anyone can get it out of him Gibbs can.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-12-2008 at 07:56 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #139
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 62902 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post

I've been an advocate of nasty ever since the Travis Johnson brohaha.. .

I like Travis. I don't mind the occasional 15 yarder .to get the opponents attention.

I imagine Gibbs will find the media in Houston even easier to hate.

I take from the comments made by Kubiak that Gibbs is here to tutor Kubes as much as the O line. It shows that Kubiak is serious about learning his trade.

I love using smilies.

Old 01-10-2008   #140
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
I've been an advocate of nasty ever since the Travis Johnson brohaha.. .

I like Travis. I don't mind the occasional 15 yarder .to get the opponents attention.

I imagine Gibbs will find the media in Houston even easier to hate.

I take from the comments made by Kubiak that Gibbs is here to tutor Kubes as much as the O line. It shows that Kubiak is serious about learning his trade.

I love using smilies.

yup. TJ knows that football is a full contact sport and isn't afraid to lay the wood to someone to send a message. When people are cheapshotting you or throwing downfield up by 30 in the 4th Quarter, its time to lay the wood. We need more like TJ imho. guys that arent afraid to stick their nose in it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read