Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2008   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans hire Alex Gibbs...promote Shanihan to OC

Texans coach Gary Kubiak is trying to hire Alex Gibbs as assistant head coach to replace Mike Sherman.

Gibbs, who would not be the offensive coordinator, was an assistant under head coaches Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan when Kubiak was a player and assistant coach with the Denver Broncos.

"Alex is one of the best coaches I've ever seen," Kubiak said today. "He raised me as an offensive coordinator with the Broncos. I wouldn't be sitting here today if not for Alex, a coach that showed me a lot of tough love. He taught me so much about the game, and I know what he can do for our team if we're fortunate enough to get him."

Gibbs, who is regarded as one of the best offensive line coaches in NFL history, spent 13 years with the Broncos, including nine (1995-2003) as assistant head coach under Shanahan.

Gibbs was supposed to retire after the 2003 season, but Atlanta coach Jim Mora lured him out of retirement. He was an assistant with the Falcons from 2004-06 before retiring for the second time. He was out of football last season.

Kubiak is looking for an offensive coordinator to replace Sherman, who was assistant head coach/offensive coordinator before Texas A&M hired him as head coach

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5438034.html
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #2
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: Texans trying to hire Alex Gibbs...

I read this earlier, and if this were to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r559C51uE
Old 01-08-2008   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

That's interesting and I'd love for it to happen!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't we go after him before?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I read this earlier, and if this were to happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r559C51uE
got you beat I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2yt6wOoK0
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #6
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Didn't we go after him before?
I don't think so. I think what you are remembering is everyone wanted Gibbs here right after the year that Carr took 70 something sacks, so that he could fix the o-line.

I hope they sign him and in my opinion, it would be an upgrade over Sherman as the o-line coach.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
I don't think so. I think what you are remembering is everyone wanted Gibbs here right after the year that Carr took 70 something sacks, so that he could fix the o-line.

I hope they sign him and in my opinion, it would be an upgrade over Sherman as the o-line coach.
He's better than Sherman without a doubt.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2008   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only is he better than Sherman, but he and Kubiack actually speak the same language. Both are Zone blocking scheme guys instead of a zone blocking/power running combo.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #9
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
rofl, i accept my defeat.
Old 01-09-2008   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Not only is he better than Sherman, but he and Kubiack actually speak the same language. Both are Zone blocking scheme guys instead of a zone blocking/power running combo.
Exactly.........an end to the confusing push me pull you dilemma the Texans have been demonstrating.............
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If signed the Oline will probably breathe a sigh of relief.
Old 01-09-2008   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think a bigger sigh of relief would come from Schaub.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The good news is that he very much improved the running game in ATL, so the Texans would actually do more running.

The bad news for the line is that there were reports that he was crazed about weight numbers for linemen. After he left, a few of them said that the linemen would do nutty things to make weight because they feared getting their playing time taken away by Gibbs if they didn't make weight. So they would starve themselves before weigh-ins. And then, when they are playing against big d-linemen felt overmatched.

Other reports suggest if a guy can move, then Gibbs doesn't care how much they weigh.

All told, if they can hire him, I think it would be a good move. I also like the idea that he would be an assistant head coach but not the OC, because basically he is on the same page as Kubiak and would be a Kubiak helper. And then if he wants to retire again, it would not be like we would have to get another OC. And anything to help the running game would be a good thing. Gibbs is supposed to be very loud and emphatic during practices, a very good teacher.

Here's my write up: Houston Texans Trying to Lure Alex Gibbs Out of Retirement

Has some links and opinion in it. And I digression about the defensive side of the ball getting some guru attention too.
Old 01-09-2008   #14
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have the guy on board. His success is well-documented.

I cringe to think of what the transition to a real ZBS might be like if they decide to change the scheme.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post

Yes, the Texans went after him when he was in ATL. He ended up staying in ATL as a consultant. Then when Mora got canned, that relationship ended because Petrino was going back to a power game. So, Gibbs wasn't in football at all last year.
Old 01-09-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

A healthy AJ, less QB sacks, a mobile QB and maybe a ground game? Lions, tigers and bears! Oh my. I feel like Dorothy entering the land of make believe. I hope I don't have to wake up in September 08. Now if Oz (Richard Smith)....
Old 01-09-2008   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The bad news for the line is that there were reports that he was crazed about weight numbers for linemen.
When Kubes took over, there was little doubt that this would be a ZBS offense. I remember a Chester Pitts interview on 610 a couple of years ago and all the talk was about how Kubiak had all of them on diets so they could be effective zone blockers.

Somewhere along the line, Mike Sherman mentioned that they also use his own power-blocking scheme. Then it seems like that's all they use, despite the media saying otherwise.

Like I said further up the thread....if Gibbs comes in and changes the system, it ain't gonna be pretty.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
true, and got me thinking, did a search and not sure how accurate but a writeup on ZBS and PBS
http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/b...-blocking.html

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/200...analysis/2484/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the part I love..heard on the radio this morning and was in papers

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5439213.html

Quote:
In Gibbs' 13 seasons with the Broncos all with Kubiak as a backup quarterback and offensive coordinator Denver averaged fewer than 115 yards rushing once. They averaged at least 124 yards nine times.
Old 01-09-2008   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
When Kubes took over, there was little doubt that this would be a ZBS offense. I remember a Chester Pitts interview on 610 a couple of years ago and all the talk was about how Kubiak had all of them on diets so they could be effective zone blockers.

Somewhere along the line, Mike Sherman mentioned that they also use his own power-blocking scheme. Then it seems like that's all they use, despite the media saying otherwise.

Like I said further up the thread....if Gibbs comes in and changes the system, it ain't gonna be pretty.
When Kubiak first took over, they were fined per pound for not making weight. The most effective looking blocker that year was Charles Spencer, the only guy who didn't make the weight requirements. Spencer, as I understood how things went, was a Mike Sherman pick.

I'm not sure that it would be too ugly changing the system as there is some familiarity with it already. I worry about what the Texans could do at center though as Flanagan seemed to struggle with the ZBS and McKinney is coming off of knee surgery.

ATL didn't seem to have many transitional issues with improving their running game. And the best years at Denver offensively were ones where Gibbs was with them.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read