Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-07-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Drug program may reduce Vick's sentence(2009 in NFL?)

Quote:
RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick left Virginia on Monday to enter a drug treatment program at a Kansas prison, a move that could reduce the former NFL star's 23-month sentence on a federal dogfighting conviction.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback is now at the U.S. Bureau of Prisons minimum security facility in Leavenworth, his attorney, Billy Martin, said.
Quote:
Vick tested positive for marijuana in September while he was on supervised release following his guilty plea. The residential drug treatment programs at Bureau of Prisons institutions take place in units set apart from the general prison population, lasting at least 500 hours over six to 12 months, according to Bureau of Prisons policy.

Upon successful completion of the program, nonviolent offenders may be granted up to one year of early release. Staff members review the inmates' records and behavior to determine if they are eligible for early release.

If Vick was granted early release, he could be ready to play in the 2009 football season, though he is currently suspended without pay by the NFL.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/...bn_vick_prison
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Drug program may reduce Vick's sentence(2009 in NFL?)

Guess he could come back as a Randal El or Kordell Stewart if he gets out in a year.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #3
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure whether it was because Vick was stupid or sheer brillance from his lawyer. Either way, the system is messed up.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #4
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Not sure whether it was because Vick was stupid or sheer brillance from his lawyer. Either way, the system is messed up.
Please never again referr to sheer brillance and Vick in the same sentence ever again, if you do I will have no choice but to give you negative reps. Please understand it is not something I would want to do, but by law under the Darwin awards I would have no choice.

I will Just say either Texans_Chick or Houston Frog gave his lawyer the advice.

(I hope they know what I ment)
Old 01-08-2008   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
It's messed up in a lot of ways.

A lot of times judges don't have much discretion when it comes to federal cases. And it doesn't matter how much money you have (ahem Oscar Wyatt), if the feds want to nail you with five bizzilliondy charges, most of the time you are going down.

The flipside of this is that just about all non-violent offenders can get their time reduced by going through a drug treatment program. Vick may have a problem given his trying to go through security with the water bottle trick, but even defendants with no history of drug and alcohol abuse will try to do the drug treatment thing to get their sentence reduced.

So there you go.

People often say that rich people and famous people get lesser sentences than average folks. I can tell you it is better to be rich than famous, because famous people tend to get the book thrown at them.
Old 01-08-2008   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

SO, in theory Vick could serve 1 year?? which amounts to nothing but a stay in re-hab......?!?!? For pot?!?!!?

If I were PETA I would start my protests now, because from the surface it looks like he will only serve time at the drug re-hab program in Kansas and NOT be punished for the crimes in which he was convicted.
Old 01-08-2008   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If he writes "I'm sorry, will not do it again" on chalk board 50 times, the sentence will be reduced further.
Old 01-08-2008   #8
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta be a scheme by Vicks lawyer to get reduced time.

We all know that Vick couldn't have a drug problem.

A drug problem would have surfaced during one of the 'random drug tests' that Vick 'surely' had administered during his NFL time.

I doubt that we will ever witness a high profile player be outed by a 'random' drug/steriod test.

The NFL will not kill the goose ( geese )that lays the golden eggs.

But then again, I am a conspiracy theorist...

Old 01-08-2008   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

It's funny how none of the sensationalist national media mentioned this possibility during their incessant coverage of this scandal. I am sure its much more 'sexy' and 'sensational' to tout that Vick would spend 2 years behind bar with little to no early releases for good behavior.

i guess his bad behavior (failing his whiz quiz pre-sentencing) may end up getting him out earlier than he would have if he didn't claim to be a 'pot addict'

pot addict....lawl
Old 01-08-2008   #10
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's finally beginning to make sense, excuse me while I slap myself on the head and say duh. I actually couldn't understand with so much was at stake why would Vick test positive for marijuana. Dang, I can be slow sometimes.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Let him get the help he needs. Hopefully he already found a strong relationship in prison with Mordechai.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppacoffee View Post
I doubt that we will ever witness a high profile player be outed by a 'random' drug/steriod test.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
SO, in theory Vick could serve 1 year?? which amounts to nothing but a stay in re-hab......?!?!? For pot?!?!!?

If I were PETA I would start my protests now, because from the surface it looks like he will only serve time at the drug re-hab program in Kansas and NOT be punished for the crimes in which he was convicted.
One year is about right anyway IMO, but if Newkirk and the rest of the
PETA-Pittbull-lovers can get him strung up from the highest tree, they surely will.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #14
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet he fires up a blunt as soon as he gets out. I know I would....
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read