Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default I love where we're picking...

At # 18 we have a great chance to nab a very good football player at one of our biggest positions of need as identified by Gary Kubiak in Cornerback, Running Back, and Left Tackle.

At CB you've got guys like Talib, Cason, and Jenkins that could be at 18.

At RB you've got gamers like Mendenhall, Stewart, and Jones.

And at LT you've got guys like Clady, Baker, and Otah.

I'm really hoping Rick Smith can engineer a tradedown to put us into position to get more picks and still nab one of these quality players at a position of need. It really wouldn't hurt our football team to insert any of these guys into the starting lineup on opening day 08 imo.
Old 01-07-2008   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I love where we're picking...

I'm really liking it too. It's a good spot to get high quality without overpaying. Sometimes the biggest thing causing a team to have a top ten pick every year is paying for all those previous top ten picks under a salary cap.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #3
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I'm really liking it too. It's a good spot to get high quality without overpaying. Sometimes the biggest thing causing a team to have a top ten pick every year is paying for all those previous top ten picks under a salary cap.
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #4
austintexanite
All Pro

I agree Joker, mabye we can trade down a couple of slots and still get a quality player with a 2nd rounder.
Old 01-08-2008   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i like it too but wouldn't mind being 14ish and probably having a choice of selecting a quality ot/cb/s/rb while not paying loads more... we still should at 18 but not as many choices
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #6
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not banking on a trade down, people are getting to smart to trade up, the extra cost of signing the pick doesn't always justify the small improvement in talent (after all it is a crapshoot).
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #7
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it too, but it'd be nice to have a second round pick.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2008   #8
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it puts less pressure on the franchise and the player to be picking later in the round, and that's a very good thing. Ideally 1st round selections are intended to make an instant impact on your team, but if you're selected in the top 10 and you have a rough rookie year look out because the fans and the press are going to hound you about it and start whispering the b word. Guys selected with first day selections are all under scrutiny, but the big draft personalities that get taken in the top 10 have so much hype built up that they aren't given time to develop; we're led to believe they're already superstars before they even hit the field.

We should have plenty of options at 18 in terms of both players (at CB, RB, S and possibly T), and trade scenarios that will improve our team. Choosing later let's us snag a good player without all of the high stakes crap that everyone freaks out about, IMO.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read