Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2008   #1
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How to fix the college football/bcs mess

We were talking over the break about ways to solve the BCS mess. I totally understand that it is all about money. My solution is to have an eight team playoff that uses some of the major BCS Bowls as playoff games. The other bowl games could go on as normal. It wouldn't affect their importance at all as they aren't important now. With an 8 team playoff, you should be able to get any legitimate contenders and not cut out too many teams from going to bowl games.

Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2008   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How to fix the college football/bcs mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
We were talking over the break about ways to solve the BCS mess. I totally understand that it is all about money. My solution is to have an eight team playoff that uses some of the major BCS Bowls as playoff games. The other bowl games could go on as normal. It wouldn't affect their importance at all as they aren't important now. With an 8 team playoff, you should be able to get any legitimate contenders and not cut out too many teams from going to bowl games.

Thoughts?
Sure.

They're just not going to do it. They made their minds up centuries ago that they won't and they ain't changing their minds.

Don't know why.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it WOULD affect their importance, because the bowl games don't want to be known as a "stepping stone" to another game. the whole point of bowl games is to be a final destination for teams.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #4
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 606 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thoughts?
I hate the BCS, and the whole system it follows. It seems to me putting a playoff system in place would be blatantly obvious, which is exactly why they will not do it. I really just don't get it. High School Football has playoffs, the NFL has playoffs, and you could argue the fact that there are too many college teams for a playoff system, but look at NCAA Basketball and March Madness. It would make the most sense, but my guess is there is way too much money exchanging hands within all the bowl games.

It would be too weird to keep the current bowl game lineup and let the winners of respective bowl games advance to another bowl game. So an alternative playoff system would have to be developed eliminating the need for so many bowl games, which in turn would eliminate the amount of money the NCAA and the networks make off of tagging the games as Bowl Games. So basically it won't happen.
Old 01-08-2008   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Sure.

They're just not going to do it. They made their minds up centuries ago that they won't and they ain't changing their minds.

Don't know why.
Money. Thats why.
Old 01-08-2008   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thoughts?
I've actually proposed this multiple times over the years....in fact not too long ago on here when the BCS was being argued a few weeks back. The way I see it you can still rotate the Championship game as either the Sugar, Rose, Fiesta or Orange. You then make, lets say, Cotton, Outback, Gator and Orange the quarters. The Sugar and Fiesta the semis and the Rose the Final game. With a rotation. The only problem is getting fan bases to travel to multiple destinations, etc but I'm sure it would happen. Either way, you can still keep sponsors and revenue and have it set up in a playoff format. We already have a sytem that has one game marked as the "Championship" game so having the others behind the top one isn't a big deal. Honestly, you are probably going to have more viewers to games like the Orange, Fiesta, etc because you know it means something vs having it as a "BCS game" which really means nothing if it isn't the title game.
Old 01-08-2008   #7
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I've actually proposed this multiple times over the years....in fact not too long ago on here when the BCS was being argued a few weeks back. The way I see it you can still rotate the Championship game as either the Sugar, Rose, Fiesta or Orange. You then make, lets say, Cotton, Outback, Gator and Orange the quarters. The Sugar and Fiesta the semis and the Rose the Final game. With a rotation. The only problem is getting fan bases to travel to multiple destinations, etc but I'm sure it would happen. Either way, you can still keep sponsors and revenue and have it set up in a playoff format. We already have a sytem that has one game marked as the "Championship" game so having the others behind the top one isn't a big deal. Honestly, you are probably going to have more viewers to games like the Orange, Fiesta, etc because you know it means something vs having it as a "BCS game" which really means nothing if it isn't the title game.

If they had gone with my scenario, here is how this year’s end of season could have looked.

Dec. 22nd.

Cotton Bowl – 1 vs. 8 Kansas vs. Ohio State
Capital One Bowl – 2 vs. 7 LSU vs. Missouri
Sugar Bowl – 3 vs. 6 Oklahoma vs. USC
Fiesta Bowl – 4 vs. 5 Georgia vs. VA Tech

Jan. 1st.

Rose Bowl – Cotton Bowl winner vs. Fiesta Bowl Winner
Orange Bowl – Capital One Bowl winner vs. Sugar Bowl winner

Jan. 7th

Championship Bowl – Rose Bowl winner vs. Orange Bowl winner

The college season ends on the same date. Some bowls have to give up their New Year’s Day slots and their historic allegiances. One thing I really like about this is that the teams playing in the final bowl games would not be so rusty. Having 3-5 weeks off before your big game can’t help your play much.

I would suspect that the 1-8 rankings would look different if this system was implemented. Hawaii might have make the top 8 this year, I don’t know.

Another option, is to have a 6 team playoff and give 1 & 2 a bye week the first week.
Old 01-08-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, I think it'll happen eventually. I heard this morning there's 2 more years on the contract, so nothing will happen until 2010.

I'd think they'd go with a 4 team playoff which would only add 1 game to the season. The fans would get what they want and there'd be more money from the additional game.
Old 01-08-2008   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

This is about the money.......playoffs work just fine outside of Div 1 in college football.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Exactly. That is similar to mine but you have the separate Championship game vs the rotation. I like the look. It really isn't hard to do....again, it is just a problem of some conferences and schools looking at how they might lose money. I just don't see it happening because I think the ad revenue and money for these games would be even higher than before. I think it would make up for whatever might be lost to adding conferences that weren't considered BCS before. As I put in another thread...Georgia President is already working on it

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3186232

Quote:
The president of the University of Georgia is calling for an eight-team playoff system for college football's top division, saying the Bowl Championship Series -- which left Georgia out of its championship game -- has become a "beauty contest largely stage-managed by the networks."

In a public statement and a letter to NCAA president Myles Brand, Georgia president Michael F. Adams, who is also chairman of the NCAA executive committee, called for an eight-team playoff to decide the national championship, with the opening rounds to be played in the four major BCS bowl games. He proposed the change be made as soon as the contracts that govern the BCS expire.

Adams was scheduled to hold a news conference Tuesday afternoon to discuss the proposal.

"This year's experience with the BCS forces me to the conclusion that the current system has lost public confidence and simply does not work," Adams said in news release. "It is undercutting the sportsmanship and integrity of the game."
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
This is about the money.......playoffs work just fine outside of Div 1 in college football.
This is what bugs me...it works IN EVERY SPORT pro and collegiate wise except Div I football. There is no reason why it shouldn't. They will make more money. Look at March Madness. Its purely lazy is what it is.
Old 01-08-2008   #11
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather see a 16 team playoff, but could live with an 8 team playoff.
Old 01-08-2008   #12
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
IMO, I think it'll happen eventually. I heard this morning there's 2 more years on the contract, so nothing will happen until 2010.

I'd think they'd go with a 4 team playoff which would only add 1 game to the season. The fans would get what they want and there'd be more money from the additional game.
If they go with the 4 team playoff, I think they are compromising too much. It would have still left some teams this year with legitamite complaints about being overlooked. Kansas, Missouri, LSU, Ohio State, Hawaii and WVA all have 2 losses or less. That is why I like the 8, or at least 6, team playoffs better. A 4 team playoff is still just backing into the solution. Go ahead and put in a better fix to start with.
Old 01-08-2008   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
This is what bugs me...it works IN EVERY SPORT pro and collegiate wise except Div I football. There is no reason why it shouldn't. They will make more money. Look at March Madness. Its purely lazy is what it is.
Of course the people in favor of BCS bowls say that they don't want football to end up like basketball, where the season doesn't matter.

The fact is, that for every team that goes to a bowl the sponsors of that bowl cut every team in the entire conference a check for a huge sum of money. This is why you have a team like Baylor that just stays in the Big XII instead of moving to C-USA where it could be competitive. Cause they know that there will be probably 3 teams from their conference in a bowl, and in turn they will get money for their facilities because of this.
Old 01-08-2008   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Of course the people in favor of BCS bowls say that they don't want football to end up like basketball, where the season doesn't matter.

The fact is, that for every team that goes to a bowl the sponsors of that bowl cut every team in the entire conference a check for a huge sum of money. This is why you have a team like Baylor that just stays in the Big XII instead of moving to C-USA where it could be competitive. Cause they know that there will be probably 3 teams from their conference in a bowl, and in turn they will get money for their facilities because of this.
Honestly, my answer to all of this would be a 16 team playoff thats done over the course of a month and played at all of the bowl sites (We will lose the Phil's Tire Shop bowl, and the Home Depot Plumbing Aisle bowl but it happens). It would be a lot less subjective then, and what you would have to worry about is people saying certain teams got snubbed because they didn't make the cut.

I think by 2015 we'll see yet a different system in place.

EDIT: At least I hope we'll see a different system.
Old 01-08-2008   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:

Right and I think they will all still get their money because I believe there would be increased revenue from the attention and money that would come in through a playoff system, no matter the conferences involved. I had said above the quoted statement that I think they will make up that revenue. The ad/sponsor revenue alone for the Bowls involved would be off the charts.

I really am annoyed..not by you ...just the argument..regarding "every week is a playoff." People try to compare it to March Madness. Well heck, the regular season doesn't mean as much because they play 30 games. In football you'd still be fighting for position because you only play 10-12 games and a loss still could take you from a 1 loss team with momentum to a 2 loss team that doesn't belong or gets less consideration.
Old 01-08-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we aready had this war. Easy all you got to do is convince 119 college presidents that they'll make more money your way than the old way. So have you noticed the crowds at these DII play offs that your modeling your scenario after ? Yes ? I doubt it will happen in my life time. Sugar bowl looked prety crowded the other night didn't it ?
Old 01-08-2008   #17
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Honestly, my answer to all of this would be a 16 team playoff thats done over the course of a month and played at all of the bowl sites (We will lose the Phil's Tire Shop bowl, and the Home Depot Plumbing Aisle bowl but it happens). It would be a lot less subjective then, and what you would have to worry about is people saying certain teams got snubbed because they didn't make the cut.

I think by 2015 we'll see yet a different system in place.

EDIT: At least I hope we'll see a different system.
You could still have the lame bowls for the teams that don't make the playoffs.
Old 01-08-2008   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I thought we aready had this war. Easy all you got to do is convince 119 college presidents that they'll make more money your way than the old way. So have you noticed the crowds at these DII play offs that your modeling your scenario after ? Yes ? I doubt it will happen in my life time. Sugar bowl looked prety crowded the other night didn't it ?
DII schools usually don't have the following of the DI schools, I don't think thats a good example.
Old 01-08-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
DII schools usually don't have the following of the DI schools, I don't think thats a good example.
Well it does if it's not a home or home game. If you do these variuos scenarios that keep popping up...you are killing the bowls. The millions upon millions of dollars worth of bowls on the assumption that the core base of the schools invloved will follow three four or eight games. Now I don't know for a fact how much it cost all of those crimsom and grey guys to sit in the super dome....but I bet it bought lot of boudan. I think these assumptions are flawed at the core.
And the college presidents would be crazy without gauranteed money to make the switch.
Old 01-08-2008   #20
ATX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well it does if it's not a home or home game. If you do these variuos scenarios that keep popping up...you are killing the bowls. The millions upon millions of dollars worth of bowls on the assuption that the core base of the schools invloved will follow three four or eight games. Now I don't know for a fact how much it cost all of those crimsom and grey guys to sit in the super dome....but I bet it bought lot of boudan. I think these assunptiona are flawed at the core.
And the college presidents would be crazy without gauranteed money to make the switch.
I'd try and make it regional if it were me, like March Madness. Say you have 16 teams, maybe have the first round home games then with the 8 teams left start with the bowls. Just trying to throw out some ideas, but I doubt it happens anyway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read