Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 2008 NFL Free Agents. Bring your appetite, this is a buffet.

sorry for the another thread. if this link is true, this is the best list I have found for restricted and unrestricted

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...bring_you.html

Quote:
Because so many have asked, I made some phone calls and this is the closest "official" number I could get from NFL sources. The Houston Texans have $22.91 million in cap room for 2008 and currently have 43 players under contract as of Saturday, Jan. 5., according to NFL sources and Sports Illustrated
we have 3 safeties unrestricted(hutchinsons,earl,demps) and one restricted (c.c. brown)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 NFL Free Agents. Bring your appetite, this is a buffet.

I think Jordan Gross is a right tackle, but I wonder if there's any chance that we can move Winston to LT and sign Gross to be our RT

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think Jordan Gross is a right tackle, but I wonder if there's any chance that we can move Winston to LT and sign Gross to be our RT
Your kidding right?
Old 01-07-2008   #4
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
To have Gross starting anywhere on our offensive line would be a major failure on the part of our front office.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
To have Gross starting anywhere on our offensive line would be a major failure on the part of our front office.
really? why? because they passed on him in the draft? or because he would simply fill a position that was already filled with Winston? if its the latter, I couldn't agree more.

we arent getting our 2008 LT in FA and we arent getting him in the draft. its that easy. you have to draft someone to groom as your LT and it doesnt happen overnight. I am sure the Texans brass are going to roll with Salaam, Spencer, and Black as their LT depth and try and draft a future starter in the 3rd round or later. Tony Hills out of UT could be had in the mid 2nd to mid 3rd round. If he is there when our 3rd Round pick comes, look for us to pick him up. He may not be ready to be an LT in 08 but with a little seasoning he could be a truly great professional. Maybe Baker will drop to #18 but that is the only scenario that I could see us taking a Tackle in the 1st Round. We need to draft another Cornerback with that pick or at least a gifted FS like Kenny Phillips.

At the end of the day though it wouldnt matter if we drafting Deion freaking Sanders at #18 as long as we have Richard Smith as our DC. It's just embarassing that they havent already fired that guy and no amount of talent will ever change the fact that he just plain sucks and has no balls.
Old 01-07-2008   #6
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just had a major brain fart. I was thinking of Jordan Black. Haha. Either way, I don't think Winston is quite prepared to play LT.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #7
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing about those Centers. Are any of them other than Faine starter caliber Centers that would be an improvement?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2008   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
you have to draft someone to groom as your LT and it doesnt happen overnight.
Tony Ugoh, Michael Roos, and Khalif Barnes would disagree that you even have to be a 1st rounder to contribute as a rookie.
Old 01-07-2008   #9
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I know he played RT in Pittsburgh but Max Starks is a beast (6'8" 330ish). I haven't really seen any film on the guy, but he has solid experience.
Old 01-07-2008   #10
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Tony Ugoh, Michael Roos, and Khalif Barnes would disagree that you even have to be a 1st rounder to contribute as a rookie.

Donald Penn, undrafted free agent rookie for the Bucs
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #11
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever we do, I don't want to move Winston to LT. We have the RT spot locked up (with Winston), let's do something to shore up the LT spot.
Old 01-08-2008   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

we arent getting our 2008 LT in FA and we arent getting him in the draft. its that easy. you have to draft someone to groom as your LT and it doesnt happen overnight. I am sure the Texans brass are going to roll with Salaam, Spencer, and Black as their LT depth and try and draft a future starter in the 3rd round or later. Tony Hills out of UT could be had in the mid 2nd to mid 3rd round. If he is there when our 3rd Round pick comes, look for us to pick him up. He may not be ready to be an LT in 08 but with a little seasoning he could be a truly great professional. Maybe Baker will drop to #18 but that is the only scenario that I could see us taking a Tackle in the 1st Round. We need to draft another Cornerback with that pick or at least a gifted FS like Kenny Phillips.
there will hopefully be a good tackle at #18...otah is quite a possibility- seems like a more highly touted, spencer clone...lots of non 1st rd guys contribute also
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #13
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the things I notice here on this board and others like it, Houston fans tend to overrate their local guys at the positions they play. They also do not want change of any kind of the local player.

It is a major sin to suggest Ryans play WILL, or Winston to be tried at LT. Both of these players played they positions in college to a very high level.

Now I am not advocating change just to change, but LT is one of the harder position to play in the NFL. Pitts and Winston both have played the position in the past and both guys current position historically are easy to find players to fill.

Now am I overrating Pitts as LT and Winston as a possible LT, guilty until proven wrong. And the only way to prove me wrong is to try either one of these guys at LT in an open practice or preseason game.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

What about Travelle Wharton?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
One of the things I notice here on this board and others like it, Houston fans tend to overrate their local guys at the positions they play. They also do not want change of any kind of the local player.

It is a major sin to suggest Ryans play WILL, or Winston to be tried at LT. Both of these players played they positions in college to a very high level.

Now I am not advocating change just to change, but LT is one of the harder position to play in the NFL. Pitts and Winston both have played the position in the past and both guys current position historically are easy to find players to fill.

Now am I overrating Pitts as LT and Winston as a possible LT, guilty until proven wrong. And the only way to prove me wrong is to try either one of these guys at LT in an open practice or preseason game.
Head Coach Capers had the chance to move Pitts back to LT. Kubes had the same chance and also to move Winston to LT. Neither did. Must not be just a Houston fan thing. Oh, yeah. Former head coach Sherman probably could have moved Winston also. Just saying.
Old 01-08-2008   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just had a major brain fart. I was thinking of Jordan Black. Haha. Either way, I don't think Winston is quite prepared to play LT.
nothing to apologize for but you were right in what you were thinking. I also dont think Winston should be moved to LT. Frankly, RT is practically just as important as LT nowadays and Eric has settled into that role quite nicely indeed. I think rolling with our LT depth as Salaam, Spencer, Black is satisfactory given the circumstances. You just can't go out and buy quality tackles like its wal-mart and expect instant results. If you suffer through a horrible season you can sometimes draft a guy who comes in immediately like Joe Thomas, Ogden, or Pace, but were drafting #18. The reality is that we need to look for the best player available, just like we did with drafting Okoye.

LT takes a good OL coach and a good prospect and a little patience. Hudson Hauck is unemployed currently and would make a good OL coach but I am sure he isn't as big a fan of the ZBS than Kubiak is. Almost every team uses it to some degree but I am sure hauck would rather just line the guys up and hit someone more than play zones and gaps. I don't care what blocking scheme they run, I just want points on the board and 21 sacks shows that things are improving.

We arent that far away and 7-3 outside of our division proves that to a great extent. Plug our real holes at RB, C, CB, legit OLB, and Safety and things could really change. LT is a often a process and we have an old guy 'holding the fort' till our young guy that we already drafted (spencer) can get back on the field. Other teams don't even have a viable LT. We have as many as 3 if you count Black. 21 sacks isn't great but for our franchise its awesome.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 01-08-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
exactly. some guys are able to make the transition faster than others and it doesnt matter where you are drafted. UDFAs come into this league every year and find a starting job somewhere.

at the end of the day the HC is going to do what its in the best interest of the team THAT year. if the player can play, he gets on the field. if he can't, you try and develop him into someone that can with coaching. Your best bet is to draft the guy you have as the BPA and to not reach on guys strictly out of a diagnosed position of weakness.

icak, I am still amazed at how well Ugoh did protecting Manning this year after Glenn pretty much threw the team under the bus by retiring. Amazed, but not surprised. It happens all the time and its done through coaching and leadership (manning). The players are all pretty much the same nowadays. Everyone is big and everyone is fast. Its how you are taught to use your abilities that is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Kubiak has shown that he can put pieces in place (even at LT) and move the football, now its up to our defensive 'brain trust' to do the same with the defensive side.
Old 01-08-2008   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nothing to apologize for but you were right in what you were thinking. I also dont think Winston should be moved to LT. Frankly, RT is practically just as important as LT nowadays and Eric has settled into that role quite nicely indeed.
I agree, especially considering the defensive lineman in our division.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
nothing to apologize for but you were right in what you were thinking. I also dont think Winston should be moved to LT. Frankly, RT is practically just as important as LT nowadays and Eric has settled into that role quite nicely indeed. I think rolling with our LT depth as Salaam, Spencer, Black is satisfactory given the circumstances. You just can't go out and buy quality tackles like its wal-mart and expect instant results. If you suffer through a horrible season you can sometimes draft a guy who comes in immediately like Joe Thomas, Ogden, or Pace, but were drafting #18. The reality is that we need to look for the best player available, just like we did with drafting Okoye.

LT takes a good OL coach and a good prospect and a little patience. Hudson Hauck is unemployed currently and would make a good OL coach but I am sure he isn't as big a fan of the ZBS than Kubiak is. Almost every team uses it to some degree but I am sure hauck would rather just line the guys up and hit someone more than play zones and gaps. I don't care what blocking scheme they run, I just want points on the board and 21 sacks shows that things are improving.

We arent that far away and 7-3 outside of our division proves that to a great extent. Plug our real holes at RB, C, CB, legit OLB, and Safety and things could really change. LT is a process and we have an old guy 'holding the fort' till our young guy (spencer) can get back on the field. Other teams don't even have a viable LT. We have as many as 3 if you count Black. 21 sacks isn't great but for our franchise its awesome.
Uh, did not Charles Spencer start first game at LT? He was a third round selection. Also, all indications are that Spencer will be moved to RT or guard. If that occurs, you have another "year older and deeper in debt" player in Salaam and a "Who?" as back up.

Just curious as to how many times Texan ran over the right side this season?
Old 01-08-2008   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Uh, did not Charles Spencer start first game at LT? He was a third round selection. Also, all indications are that Spencer will be moved to RT or guard. If that occurs, you have another "year older and deeper in debt" player in Salaam and a "Who?" as back up.

Just curious as to how many times Texan ran over the right side this season?
I am not saying to not draft a LT at #18. I am just saying that we shouldn't reach on a guy just because we think he could play LT for us. Thats all.

We need to find a long term solution at LT, no doubt and hopefully we have in Spencer or even perhaps Winston. I just feel that we have positions that are in more dire straits and don't even have a short term solution currently much less a long term solution. let's plug the holes first (Center, Corner, Safety, and better RB/OLBs)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read