Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Early 08 Top 32 Draft Board

1 Glenn Dorsey, DT 6-2 317 LSU

2 Chris Long, DE 6-4 275 Virginia

3 Darren McFadden, RB 6-2 210 Arkansas

4. Matt Ryan, QB 6-5 224 Boston College

5 James Laurinitis, LB,6-3 247 Ohio St.

6 Malcolm Jenkins, CB 6-1 202 Ohio St

7 Brian Brohm, QB 6-3 230 Louisville

8 Jake Long OT, 6-7 320 Michigan

9 Calais Campbell, DE 6-7 282 Miami

10 Kenny Phillips, FS 6-1 205 Miami

11 Sedrick Ellis, DT 6-2 295 USC

12 Ryan Clady, OT 6-6 316 Boise St.

13.Rashard Mendenhall, RB 5-11 195 Illinois

14 Vernon Gholston, DE 6-4 260 Ohio State

15 Aqib Talib, CB 6-1 205 Kansas

16 Andre Woodson, QB 6-5 230 Kentucky

17 Keith Rivers, LB 6-3 220 USC

18 Jeff Otah, OT 6-7 340 Pitt

19 Derrick Harvey, DE 6-4 245 Florida

20 Jonathan Stewart, RB 5-10 235 Oregon

21 Sam Baker, OT 6-4 310 USC

22 Dan Connor, LB 6-2 233 Penn State

23 James Hardey, WR 6-6 220 Indiana

24 Antoine Cason, CB 6-0 190 Arizona

25 Lawerence Jackson, DE 6-5 268 USC

26 DeSean Jackson, WR 5-11 172 Cal

27 Malcolm Kelly, WR 6-4 220 Oklahoma

28 Gosder Cherilus, OT, 6-6 320 Boston College

29 Mike Jenkins, CB 6-0 200 South Florida

30 Felix Jones, RB 6-0 200 Arkansas

31 Adarius Bowman, WR 6-4 220 Oklahoma State

32 Kemtwan Balmer, DT 6-5 298 North Carolina State

copyright20080107beerlover
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early 08 Top 32 Draft Board

It's a good list. Though I would be surprised if Maryland LB Erin Henderson doesn't find his way into the 1st round.
Old 01-07-2008   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're going to get a very good player at #18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I think we're going to get a very good player at #18.
I'm thinking I wish I had a 2nd round pick or two...
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Would anybody be willing to trade a 08 4th rd. pick & a 09 3rd pick to try & get a 2nd rd. pick this year. If not what does eveyone think it would take to get a 2nd rd. pick this year?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Would anybody be willing to trade a 08 4th rd. pick & a 09 3rd pick to try & get a 2nd rd. pick this year. If not what does eveyone think it would take to get a 2nd rd. pick this year?
It's expensive. For example, Indy traded their 1st round pick this year for San Fran's 2nd round pick last year (top 10?) to get Tony Ugoh LT.

I think if a LT like Otah or whomever Kubiak really really covets and wants to make this trade. Rick Smith will have his work cut out for him.

Our #18 in the 3rd round is worth 180 points. We'd probably have to give up next years 2nd round pick also to get into this years 2nd round. ('08 3rd and '09 2nd for a low '08 2nd rd pick) If we had a 2nd round this year it'd be worth apprx. 400 points.

So going on that we'd give up 580 points to get Oaklands 2nd round pick point for point...that's not factoring "Time Value Draft Pick" (did i just make that up? hah). If I give you a $100 Bill today, you give me a $20 bill, I'm not expecting you to give me $80 next year to be equal....I would want more...say interest for example...same applies to draft picks.

So I'm guestimating we'd get about the #10 pick in the 2nd round give or take a few spots if we give up our 3rd and '09 2nd (and that's assuming we go 8-8 next year too)...

that's not something I'm willing to do...unless it's a franchise type of Left Tackle or a shutdown corner that didn't go in the first...or another demeco ryans type of player.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The best way to get picks for this draft is to trade away players on our roster for them.

If we could trade Weaver/Greenwood/Sage/Dayne or whomever for picks, that would probably be the best way of doing so.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2008   #8
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The best way to get picks for this draft is to trade away players on our roster for them.

If we could trade Weaver/Greenwood/Sage/Dayne or whomever for picks, that would probably be the best way of doing so.
Your not going to get much for any of those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #9
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Your not going to get much for any of those guys.
I'm not getting anything, it's Rick Smith who has to worry about getting more draft picks than what we already have.
Old 01-07-2008   #10
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

We would be lucky to get 5th rounders for those guys.

There all old, past their primes, and really just not that good anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't keep refinancing. At some point the bill is due and we're going to have to pay. Might as well bite that bullet while is cheaper and hurts less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Can't keep refinancing. At some point the bill is due and we're going to have to pay. Might as well bite that bullet while is cheaper and hurts less.
I don't get it :elle:
Old 01-08-2008   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I Do
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if you noticed Andre Woodson is real close to the Texans pick. if he is available @ #18 & the Texans still own the pick. Atlanta who has two 2nd rd. picks (their own plus ours) might really want him to be their QB. while we would not have a 1st rd. pick that would give us two 2nds (early & mid). Still get a good tackle & RB or CB.

would you consider it?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #15
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if you noticed Andre Woodson is real close to the Texans pick. if he is available @ #18 & the Texans still own the pick. Atlanta who has two 2nd rd. picks (their own plus ours) might really want him to be their QB. while we would not have a 1st rd. pick that would give us two 2nds (early & mid). Still get a good tackle & RB or CB.

would you consider it?
with their second rounder next year yes.
Old 01-08-2008   #16
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see any way we pick up a 2nd without trading down with our 1st.

There is one possibility that's been rattling around in my empty head for a while now. I read somewhere that San Francisco is in need of a pure rushing DE/OLB for their 34 defense. The one that is most likely to be there at #18 is Derrick Harvey. Assuming they do want that DE/OLB & all the others have been taken, would they be willing to give up the #30 (620 pts.) & #40 (510 pts.) for our #18 (900 pts.)? 1130 pts. for 900 pts. sounds about right to move up 12 spots in the first round. Of course, moving that far down would take us completely out of the running for any of the major LT's.

Also, Dallas has two #1's. Their #31 (600 pts.), #61 (292 pts.), & a #2 next year might be worth our #18 this year. Just some ideas to knock around.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

would you consider it?
I have mixed emotions. Two 2nds by the middle of the round would still offer us the ability to get a good RB and a decent LT. I focused on ALex Boone LT Ohio last night and I was impressed. This 6' 7" 325 looked better to me than Ryan Clady of Boise State did in the respective bowl games. A trade down for a first and a 2nd or even two firsts makes my mouth water. Still, Johnathan Stewart at 18, McGlynn LT in third, Cliff Avril OLB or a free safety such as Quentin Demps or Marcus Griffin would go down ok, too. I am hoping for a CB in FA & maybe a LB.
Old 01-08-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1 Glenn Dorsey, DT 6-2 317 LSU

2 Chris Long, DE 6-4 275 Virginia

3 Darren McFadden, RB 6-2 210 Arkansas

4. Matt Ryan, QB 6-5 224 Boston College

5 James Laurinitis, LB,6-3 247 Ohio St.

6 Malcolm Jenkins, CB 6-1 202 Ohio St

7 Brian Brohm, QB 6-3 230 Louisville

8 Jake Long OT, 6-7 320 Michigan

9 Calais Campbell, DE 6-7 282 Miami

10 Kenny Phillips, FS 6-1 205 Miami

11 Sedrick Ellis, DT 6-2 295 USC

12 Ryan Clady, OT 6-6 316 Boise St.

13.Rashard Mendenhall, RB 5-11 195 Illinois

14 Vernon Gholston, DE 6-4 260 Ohio State

15 Aqib Talib, CB 6-1 205 Kansas

16 Andre Woodson, QB 6-5 230 Kentucky

17 Keith Rivers, LB 6-3 220 USC

18 Jeff Otah, OT 6-7 340 Pitt

19 Derrick Harvey, DE 6-4 245 Florida

20 Jonathan Stewart, RB 5-10 235 Oregon

21 Sam Baker, OT 6-4 310 USC

22 Dan Connor, LB 6-2 233 Penn State

23 James Hardey, WR 6-6 220 Indiana

24 Antoine Cason, CB 6-0 190 Arizona

25 Lawerence Jackson, DE 6-5 268 USC

26 DeSean Jackson, WR 5-11 172 Cal

27 Malcolm Kelly, WR 6-4 220 Oklahoma

28 Gosder Cherilus, OT, 6-6 320 Boston College

29 Mike Jenkins, CB 6-0 200 South Florida

30 Felix Jones, RB 6-0 200 Arkansas

31 Adarius Bowman, WR 6-4 220 Oklahoma State

32 Kemtwan Balmer, DT 6-5 298 North Carolina State

copyright20080107beerlover
Imagine one of these being picked first in second round "Well, I am actually the 32nd pick in first round." That argument could go on forever.
Old 01-08-2008   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Imagine one of these being picked first in second round "Well, I am actually the 32nd pick in first round." That argument could go on forever.
I wonder if it would have any effect on the contract numbers of the #32. I doubt it, but it's interesting.
Old 01-08-2008   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I wonder if it would have any effect on the contract numbers of the #32. I doubt it, but it's interesting.
My point exactly. Each side would have a strong argument. It is actually the first pick in second round but is actually the 32 player selected. Depending on team and player/agent signing could be interesting. Still, I would not mind having the pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read