Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-06-2008   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default kastofsna's First '08 Top 10 Mock

admittedly i just haven't been paying my same attention to scouting players this year as in previous years, but mocks are more about fitting certain players in with certain teams. i know enough, and it's 2 in the morning and i'm bored. also i've had a few beers. here's my top 10

1: Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE, Virginia. In Bill Parcells' career we've always seen this fascination with "Parcells Guys," the kind of players who fit Parcells' athletic mold and specific character mold and all the ties that player has to Parcells. Well, Chris Long is extremely athletically gifted, will be perfect anywhere in the front 7 of the 3-4, was coached by Parcells guy Al Groh, and fits that "Planet Theory" of athletes, which means that when there's a guy who's ridiculously fast and agile for his size, you draft him, period. Definitely a lock ahead of Dorsey right now, but we'll see how they both do at the combine (assuming both attend the combine).

2: St. Louis Rams - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU. Miami passes him up, so obviously the Rams are there to scoop him up. They just need help on d-line, and if Miami does indeed take Dorsey they easily go with Long. Or, perhaps the other Long, Jake Long. You say Jake Long would fill a more pressing need, but regardless, Dorsey is a much more dynamic athlete and his potential easily puts Jake Long on the backburner for priorities.

3: Atlanta Falcons - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas. They have some good talent in the backfield, and yes I know they need a QB, but this pick will instantly give Falcons a "great draft" grade from all the writers and give the fans someone to cheer for right away. They'll look QB at the top of the 2nd; Andre Woodson could be there, and that'll be a nice 1-2 SEC punch. Warrick Dunn won't be around forever, and Jerrious Norwood, while a great player, isn't a feature back in the NFL.

4: Oakland Raiders - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State. Gholston is a freakish athlete with loads of potential and immediately sparks the Oakland defense. Also could see Oakland going corner here if Asomugha doesn't get shored up; he was a top 3 corner in the NFL last season, and he's a free agent.

5: Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long, T, Michigan. KC knows where their offense had strength during the Priest Holmes years: up front on the o-line. They need to regain that tradition and, more importantly, the big-bodied nature of it. Long projects to RT, but eh, with some good coaching he could be decent protecting a QB's blindside. Those feet and hips need to coordinate better.

6: NY Jets - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State. Easy pick. Keep him away from New England and, more importantly I guess, help your defense out tremendously. The Jets linebackers are decent, but they need more athleticism. What better than to pair the OSU guy with Hobson and Harris, two Michigan fellows.

7: New England Patriots - Keith Rivers, LB, USC. Who knows what's going to happen to Asante Samuel, and even if he does leave, you still have the better CB in Hobbs on the other side, so do you need CB, and what about the safeties, Rodney Harrison won't be around much longer, and they drafted Merriweather last year...hmm...the linebackers have age on 'em. Especially in the middle. Get Rivers, a great, smart, and well disciplined player.

8: Baltimore Ravens - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College. Troy Smith can't be the future at QB, can he? Probably not. A new coach will want to have his own young guy to groom, and by the grace of God a franchise QB fell into his lap at #8.

9: Cincinnati Bengals - Dan Conner, LB, Penn State. Probably the biggest weakness on the team (quick, name a Bengals' LB), and one of the more well-rounded players in the draft. Conner should have a good showing at the combine and will most likely do really well in interviews and show good character, which wouldn't be a bad thing for the Bengals.

10: New Orleans Saints - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas. Boom, easy pick, no questions about this one. Dreadful secondary. Quarterbacks had career days against the Saints this year. Talib had a fantastic Orange Bowl and certainly looks to make that big step to the NFL. 6'2, 200 pounds. Shut-down corner.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: kastofsna's First '08 Top 10 Mock

You don't think the Rams would rather replace Orlando Pace?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm sure they would.

i'm sure they'd also love an incredible player on their d-line who grades out much higher than any OT in this draft.
Old 01-06-2008   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
You don't think the Rams would rather replace Orlando Pace?
This is exactly what I was posting in the other thread... big drop in tallent taking Orlndo Pace's replacement in the first as compaired to the third. Pickings going to get pretty slim after day one for starter OT's.
Old 01-06-2008   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
i'm sure they would.

i'm sure they'd also love an incredible player on their d-line who grades out much higher than any OT in this draft.
Speaking of which, how did Carriker do this year?
Old 01-06-2008   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
6: NY Jets - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State. Easy pick. Keep him away from New England and, more importantly I guess, help your defense out tremendously. The Jets linebackers are decent, but they need more athleticism. What better than to pair the OSU guy with Hobson and Harris, two Michigan fellows.
I haven't paid much attention to the Jets, but what happened to Vilma?
Old 01-06-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

not too shabby kastofsna...

1. You have Laurinitis entering the draft.
a. Do you think Malcolm Jenkins stays in school?
b. or do you have Talib as the better CB overall or fit for the Saints?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

seems ok. still waiting for all the underclassman to make their decisions. Rashard Mendenhall, Calais Campbell, Kenny Phillips & Ryan Clady all worthy, eligible top 10 draft prospects. McFadden, Gholston & Talib still undeceided. So given the known players as of right now-

1: Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE, Virginia.

I would still take Dorsey but have no problems going after a great looking RDE.

2: St. Louis Rams - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU.

If he is available very well could be the pick.

3: Atlanta Falcons - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas.

I'm sure he comes out but lets say he doesnt I feel they have to address QB & depending on the coach/offensive system I'd select QB Matt Ryan

4: Oakland Raiders - Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State.

I beleive Calais Campbell will be a higher rated prospect. people will take a look at how successful Peppers/Williams have been & Campbell is in the same mold.

5: Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long, T, Michigan.

I like Ryan Clady much more than Long because of his athletic ability & quick footwork more suited to play LT. but I agree OL is a lock.

6: NY Jets - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State.

Beleive it or not the Jets really need a RT. Think Jake Long would be a perfect fit here, that RT is his natural position.

7: New England Patriots - Keith Rivers, LB, USC.

This is where Darren McFadden winds up if he declares. if he's gone the Patriots can take Richard Mendenhall this will really establish the offense with a more balanced attack/depth both running & throwing.

8: Baltimore Ravens - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College.

Since I think Ryan is gone they could take the other top QB prospect, Brian Brohm.

9: Cincinnati Bengals - Dan Conner, LB, Penn State.

Need beef in the DL. like USC DT Sedric Ellis whos forte is stopping the run.

10: New Orleans Saints - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas.

FS Kenny Phillips, Miami. very few prospects come out each year like him but as you saw yesterday LaRon Landry was a playmaker who can make ordinary corners look effecient.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Gholston = Merriman. he'll be a higher rated prospect by draft day.
Old 01-06-2008   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see it. Many of the 3-4 teams already have their pass rushing OLB, and very few teams have a Mario/Peppers. Calias is the best DE prospect in the draft. Chris Long after him.
Old 01-06-2008   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Campbell is average. doesn't deserve to be a top 10 prospect. Gholston is tons better and WILL be drafted ahead of him, and Long will be the first of them drafted.
Old 01-06-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I haven't paid much attention to the Jets, but what happened to Vilma?
He was underperforming before he was injured.
Old 01-06-2008   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Campbell is average. doesn't deserve to be a top 10 prospect. Gholston is tons better and WILL be drafted ahead of him, and Long will be the first of them drafted.
Campbell has a Peppers build, tremendous speed, gets to the QB, and will fill out to be a dominant DE. At his size, he will be able to hold the edge against the run as well as get into the backfield. Gholston is not better, nor should he be drafted ahead of Campbell.
Old 01-06-2008   #14
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting choice on the first pick (could very well work out that way too). If it goes down that way, STL will definitely go after Dorsey. Once Dorsey is on board, it will allow them to move Carriker out to DE (suites him better) and they will have a formidable d-line.

I think the Falcon’s will go with a QB in the first but your pick makes more sense to me. A solid running game can make up for a lot of evils at QB. If the Falcon’s were smart, they’d take McFadden as you suggest and then go after someone like Culpepper in the FA market while they groom a young QB.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think Atlanta is going with QB in the 1st..most likely Ryan. I think they will address RB with one of their 2nd round picks. The drop off in talent in QB's is much more than that of RB this draft, imo.

I think Jake Long does indeed have a good chance of dropping and the Jets snagging him up to play RT

I think McFadden still has a great shot at being in a Patriots uniform next season.
Old 01-06-2008   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I really think Atlanta is going with QB in the 1st..most likely Ryan. I think they will address RB with one of their 2nd round picks. The drop off in talent in QB's is much more than that of RB this draft, imo.

I think Jake Long does indeed have a good chance of dropping and the Jets snagging him up to play RT

I think McFadden still has a great shot at being in a Patriots uniform next season.
Well which guy will keep the season ticket holders happy. They have a team built around one guy who's sitting in jail cell. So you bring in the hoss, the rain maker, to make the season ticket holders happy. They can alway come back in the second and select a guy to groom. They could hold their water and take Dixon at the start of day two. Mcfaddin pick makes more sense. He can carry a team. Where as a rookie... learning, is prety messy.
Old 01-06-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well which guy will keep the season ticket holders happy. They have a team built around one guy who's sitting in jail cell. So you bring in the hoss, the rain maker, to make the season ticket holders happy. They can alway come back in the second and select a guy to groom. They could hold their water and take Dixon at the start of day two. Mcfaddin pick makes more sense. He can carry a team. Where as a rookie... learning, is prety messy.
That's definitely very possible. Kinda like how we selected Bush to make the fans happy??

When I hear Blank speak...all signs point to getting their franchise QB in round 1. I don't see the upside in taking McFadden at their spot when they've got Jerius Norwood and can grab another RB in the 2nd that would be a perfect 1-2 combo with him. While I think McFadden is a tremendous athlete...I think too many people are expecting him to be like Peterson was this season.

While I'm sure the general consensus of 'Falcon' fans want the flashy RB like they want the flashy QB in Vick etc... I really don't see the Falcon fans happy with Redman, Harrington, and Leftwich as their QB's next year.
Old 01-07-2008   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm looking forward to see if Parsells is successful in trading his #1 pick ?
They say each year its tougher and tougher to trade the #1, and many feel that other top 5 picks are reall more valuable because a team can land a very good prospect without nearly the cap-hit.
And its well known that Parsells is a not so big fan of young rookie QBs and
he also avoids expending too much on running backs, so lets see if he can work something out for a trade involving multiple picks ?
Re Chris Long as #1 to Miami, he's a 4-3 DE and who in their right mind would even use such a high pick on a 3-4 DLineman ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #19
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If this is true and VG is sitting their at 18 do you pull the trigger? If he equals Merriman I would. I know our secondary needs help but one of the best ways to help them is to improve the pass rush.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Campbell has a Peppers build, tremendous speed, gets to the QB, and will fill out to be a dominant DE. At his size, he will be able to hold the edge against the run as well as get into the backfield. Gholston is not better, nor should he be drafted ahead of Campbell.
Campbell is all build, nothing else, he's been awful since John Palermo left UM, and while he'll test well, he won't test well enough to break the top 10. he'll be there for Houston to think about.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read