Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2008   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Diamonds in the rough

One of my favorite things to do in the offseason is look around the league, and the draft, for those FAs and rookies that dont have the hype of the first rounders/starters, but could possibly be just as talented.

Looking for obscure draft superstars is a pretty common practice in NFL communities, but not many people look at existing NFL players in their search for latent talent.

Kevin Walter is a great example of this. He was a 4th string WR for the Bengals... not because he lacked talent, but because the Bengals just happened to be stacked at WR.

So, on that note, what id like to know is; Who do you think we could get (not even necessarily an FA) that is young, and possibly very talented.

The key to this exercise is to look at the better teams in the league and search for positions where they have alot of talent, and then see who their backups are and find out if these guys have shown alot of potential in preseason/practice/college.

Normally at this point id list a few that I have found, but I havent had time to go over the rosters yet . SO! Let me know if ya find any! hehe.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #2
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88
Default Re: Diamonds in the rough

Personally I like what I've seen from Mewelde Moore, a FA who's spent his time in Minnesota buried on the depth chart. He's actually started some games in his career despite the decrease in playing time and has had a few 100 yard games. On top of that, he's a great receiver out of the backfield. He could stand to be a bit bigger, but I've liked what I've seen out of him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting another player out there, but he's who came to mind right off the bat.
Old 01-05-2008   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Jabar Gaffney
Old 01-05-2008   #4
twelvegage
Rookie

Chad Jackson - Patriots
twelvegage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike turner is an obvious choice

mike bell might be another (good imo) pickup we make if hes released
Maddict5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
Personally I like what I've seen from Mewelde Moore, a FA who's spent his time in Minnesota buried on the depth chart. He's actually started some games in his career despite the decrease in playing time and has had a few 100 yard games. On top of that, he's a great receiver out of the backfield. He could stand to be a bit bigger, but I've liked what I've seen out of him.

I'm sure I'm forgetting another player out there, but he's who came to mind right off the bat.
That's who I was going to say. Mewelde is very talented and has great hands out of the backfield. Go back and look at his stats when he actually carries the load. They are very impressive. I remember he absolutely killed us when he was a rookie with 92 yards rushing and 90 yards receiving. That was his first game as a starter too.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Me00_games.htm
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I had forgotten about Mewelde Moore. He's a damn fine back.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2008   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Paul Spicer & Kris Wilson
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #9
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I think we found a few this season. Brisiel turned out to be the best RG we've had all season and Walker managed to add some dynamics to our running game. Also, Fred Bennett stepped in his rookie season and made a difference. I think this kid could be elite one day. I really have no clue about next season, to be honest. I trust Rick Smith to do the right thing.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #10
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Fred Bennett stepped in his rookie season and made a difference. I think this kid could be elite one day.
I dunno if Bennett qualifies as an unknown. At least.. with the success that South Carolina DBs have had in the NFL (Including Dunta) I have checked to see what DBs USC has coming out every offseason.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Marshall. 4th rd. 06 pick. Central Florida is an absoulte beast, bigger & stronger than Terrell Owens, very difficult to tackle in the open field or in a crowd. first rd. talent if I've ever seen it, which begs the question how did he last til the middle of the 4th rd?

Now I've made it a point to watch the smaller schools especially Florida schools talent closely. Here are some diamonds for future reference Kevin Smith is returning to school to develop his game & take it to the next level, he could be that diamond in the rough (09). Joe Burnett is a playmaking cb with return abilities & could be available in the 3rd, rd. if he declares, this would solve the Texans need @ CB. Senior Leger Douzable is a 6050 305 lb interior DT that could compete for Maddox/Johnsons spot & you could pick him up in the 5th/6th rd.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #12
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegage View Post
Chad Jackson - Patriots
He was a first round pick.
Old 01-05-2008   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Kevin Smith .
When Kevin Smith declares next year, he will probably be slated to go in the 1st barring catostrophic injury. That guy is a stud.
Old 01-05-2008   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure of the specific names to plug in here, but it is a very good question. A team is not going to go out and sign more than one or two big name guys a season normally. Your success is predicated on finding cheaper guys who are better palyers than names. Oh, and not to overpay them.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #15
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvegage View Post
Chad Jackson - Patriots

this dude is a burner. i remember watching him in college and the combines. I would love to have him here but i think he has one more year on his contract. He would be a great fit.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Grant. Guy came out of nowhere and almost ran for 1000 yards

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Ryan Grant. Guy came out of nowhere and almost ran for 1000 yards
He is an exclusive rights free agent--he is not hitting the market.
Old 01-06-2008   #18
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

He might not be considered a Diamond in the Rough by most standards, but given his history with Kubiak & Smith, & the animosity that has developed in Detroit, Tatum Bell could be considered a Diamond in the Rough for the Texans. I fully expect to see him on our roster next year.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #19
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Paul Spicer - Jax
Chris Canty - Dal
Justin Fargas - Oak
Mewelde Moore - Min
Andre Davis (until we sign him, he counts! - To be honest, I'm concerned we didn't do this before the season was over)
Quinn Gray - Jax
Travelle Wharton - Car
Boss Bailey - Det
Drayton Florence - San Diego
Eugene Wilson - NE
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Paul Spicer - Jax
Chris Canty - Dal
Justin Fargas - Oak
Mewelde Moore - Min
Andre Davis (until we sign him, he counts! - To be honest, I'm concerned we didn't do this before the season was over)
Quinn Gray - Jax
Travelle Wharton - Car
Boss Bailey - Det
Drayton Florence - San Diego
Eugene Wilson - NE
Jovan Haye DT Tampa Bay RFA - 6th round
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read