Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008   #41
Lucky
Moderator
 
Lucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,837
Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
On Weaver, what about cutting him and saving $2.5m and replacing him with Earl Cochran?
This was the key portion of infantrycak's post as to why Weaver won't be cut or traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Problem is if the Texans were to trade him they would get stuck with four years of prorated signing bonus which is $10 mil. Not happening.
__________________
“We’re looking for a coach that...works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach.” - Bob McNair
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #42
Specnatz
Site Contributor
 
Specnatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 8,620
Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
WE DONT NEED A RB, IS EVERYONE BLIND OR JUST DUMB, WE NEED O LINE, CHRIS TAYLOR AND D WALKER ARE BALLERS
Yeah I have watch taylor tear it up the last two years and he is a proven commodity at RB and that he is going to be the work horse we have all dreamed of.

The$22.91 mil projected seems a bit small I thought it was closer to $30 mil especially after all the dead money is gone.

I have noticed that some people complain about the lack of talent in certain positions but when names like Asante Samual or Michael Turner are brought up it is said that making a big splash and putting so much money into one person or just a few people is not a good idea. So if you do not want to spend the money we have available to secure a position with one of the better talents available and a young player to boot then we are just not going to get any better. Look at the titans and how much they had to spend last year and they spent nothing, and even lost some free agents. Now I am all for not over spending just to spend on players, like last years crop of lineman (I.E. Leonard Davis).

If you want to spend the money on tier 2 or 3 players then please do not complain about not having the talent because if that is how you want to spend then you will have a roster filled with guys like Faggins and Flanagan and we would be no closer to reaching the playoffs. I guess Faggins is not a good examble because he is more like 5th tier rate of talent.
__________________
The Invisible Poster!
Cynic at work, do not mind me; move along nothing to see here!
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #43
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This was the key portion of infantrycak's post as to why Weaver won't be cut or traded.
Thanks but your post did not address my issue. I know that a trade speeds up the pro rated bonus, but could not remember if a cut works the same? I think this was addressed on other thread recently but I can't locate it. That post indicated a cut would save the $2.5m and I was hoping I'cak could clarify or you if you are certain. Appreciate any info.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 43,732
Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks but your post did not address my issue. I know that a trade speeds up the pro rated bonus, but could not remember if a cut works the same? I think this was addressed on other thread recently but I can't locate it. That post indicated a cut would save the $2.5m and I was hoping I'cak could clarify or you if you are certain. Appreciate any info.
A trade or release of a player accelerates the remaining prorated bonus money. Cutting Weaver will not save cap space this offseason.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #45
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yeah I have watch taylor tear it up the last two years and he is a proven commodity at RB and that he is going to be the work horse we have all dreamed of.

The$22.91 mil projected seems a bit small I thought it was closer to $30 mil especially after all the dead money is gone.

I have noticed that some people complain about the lack of talent in certain positions but when names like Asante Samual or Michael Turner are brought up it is said that making a big splash and putting so much money into one person or just a few people is not a good idea. So if you do not want to spend the money we have available to secure a position with one of the better talents available and a young player to boot then we are just not going to get any better. Look at the titans and how much they had to spend last year and they spent nothing, and even lost some free agents. Now I am all for not over spending just to spend on players, like last years crop of lineman (I.E. Leonard Davis).

If you want to spend the money on tier 2 or 3 players then please do not complain about not having the talent because if that is how you want to spend then you will have a roster filled with guys like Faggins and Flanagan and we would be no closer to reaching the playoffs. I guess Faggins is not a good examble because he is more like 5th tier rate of talent.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html

This shows 2008 cap with projected increase. $35m unless team does it thing with Mario. The best I understand it is by offering him $12m before 2008 season, team adjusts his base salary and adds 2011 @ $3.725m. I'm all for adding a year and lowering his base BUT not at giving up cap space. Mario can void the last two years (if incentatives are met) but team can then buy back those two voided years (2010 & 11) for $8.5m. The figures listed on this site seem ridiculously cheap for what we got this year and what Mario may be doing in future. Personally, I hope Smith can wait and see what can be landed in free agency before committing $12 million to Williams.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #46
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
A trade or release of a player accelerates the remaining prorated bonus money. Cutting Weaver will not save cap space this offseason.
Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. Am I evaluating Weaver to harshly? I know he is over paid, but is he holding his own? I think 2-3 sacks would have been nice or at least some hurries.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #47
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 43,732
Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
[I'm all for adding a year and lowering his base BUT not at giving up cap space.
If they exercise the option bonus it will be prorated across the remaining four years of the contract so the impact taken together with the reduced base salary will not be significant on the 2008 cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. Am I evaluating Weaver to harshly? I know he is over paid, but is he holding his own? I think 2-3 sacks would have been nice or at least some hurries.
I think Weaver's play was off this season because of his injury. He definitely needs to up his game to justify his salary--at least get back to the 4 or 5 sack a season guy he was in Baltimore. It did seem like they dropped him into coverage a fair amount which of course lowered his opportunities to get after the QB along with bringing Kalu in on obvious passing downs.
__________________
The Art of War

Last edited by infantrycak; 01-07-2008 at 01:49 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2008   #48
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If they exercise the option bonus it will be prorated across the remaining four years of the contract so the impact taken together with the reduced base salary will not be significant on the 2008 cap.
Ok, now I am really confused. What you are saying is exactly what I thought when someone pointed out this wrinkle that Kubes had mentioned. Why on the pro football site does it indicate a drop on cap from $35m to apprx $23m? Looks like it is coming out all at once.

Edit:I read again the info on web site and it does not say there would be a $12m loss of cap. I have seen that mentioned by others. We could still have about $30 m or so for off season.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.

Last edited by badboy; 01-07-2008 at 02:14 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 46
Posts: 43,732
Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok, now I am really confused. What you are saying is exactly what I thought when someone pointed out this wrinkle that Kubes had mentioned. Why on the pro football site does it indicate a drop on cap from $35m to apprx $23m? Looks like it is coming out all at once.
I don't see where they say it will drop to $23 mil. In any event, it is possible the Texans have the contract written so the option bonus will be paid akin to a roster bonus and all be charged in this year.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger