Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2008   #21
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

How much are yall expecting Samual to ask for? I mean 30 million in cap space is not exactly "poor".

I mean.. if we really wanted him.. we could sign him to a big contract and eat a large chunk of it this year.

And that 30 million under the cap..I think that is BEFORE they raise it.. so we will probably be closer to 40+ under the cap.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
How much are yall expecting Samual to ask for? I mean 30 million in cap space is not exactly "poor".

I mean.. if we really wanted him.. we could sign him to a big contract and eat a large chunk of it this year.

And that 30 million under the cap..I think that is BEFORE they raise it.. so we will probably be closer to 40+ under the cap.
But at this point, we're still sitting at about 22nd in the league in terms of cap space (iirc). So, yeah, we've got some room, but there are a lot of teams out there with more cap space that might be more attractive to him for one reason or another.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #23
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Our projected cap space isn't in the top 10; link:

Team
Signed Players 2008 cap room

1. Tennessee
39 $40.85 million
2. San Diego
44 $33.03 million
3. Jacksonville
43 $32.69 million
4. Buffalo
49 $32.05 million
5. New Orleans
39 $31.69 million
6. Cincinnati
48 $31.45 million
7. San Francisco
48 $30.91 million
8. Cleveland
42 $30.31 million
9. Arizona 3
4 $30.27 million
10.N.Y. Jets
45 $27.72 million
11.Oakland
40 $25.98 million
12.Tampa Bay
48 $25.90 million
13.Miami
48 $25.56 million
14.N.Y. Giants
49 $24.47 million
15.Detroit
42 $23.50 million
16.Houston
43 $22.91 million

17.Dallas
40 $20.61 million
18.Kansas City
44 $20.27 million
19.Chicago
52 $19.80 million
20.Pittsburgh
43 $18.61 million
21.Green Bay
48 $18.37 million
22.Philadelphia
49 $17.17 million
23.Denver
49 $16.77 million
24.Minnesota
49 $14.88 million
25.New England
41 $10.93 million
26.St. Louis
45 $9.61 million
27.Seattle
44 $9.55 million
28.Indianapolis
48 $8.49 million
29.Carolina
35 $6.05 million
30.Atlanta
52 $5.79 million*
31.Baltimore
42 $5.00 million
32.Washington
45 -$20.72 million

* Not including unspecified potential rebate from contested return of Michael Vick's pro-rated signing bonus.
Plus we will probably pick up an option on Mario's contract so that'll bump us down some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #24
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Plus we will probably pick up an option on Mario's contract so that'll bump us down some.
For some reason, I remembered us further down on the list than that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that I think about it, the left field move. . . hmmmm.

We sign, ugh, this is tough. . . DEREK ANDERSON!

See it's perfect! Then we have the awesome 3 headed QB monster that will totally crush all comers and goers. We trade Sage for a 7th round pick that we immediately draft, uh, hmmm. . . uh. . . Okay I can't even think of somebody to draft in the seventh round that anybody would know of.

I think the reason it's called a "out of left field" is because nobody see's it coming.

(BTW if we sign Derek Anderson and give up draft picks for him, I'm quitting. Screw you guys, I'm goin home quitting)
Old 01-05-2008   #26
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

sigh at us having the same cap space as the boys..... and less than the jags and CLE (especially)- having they spent big on FA the last two yrs?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #27
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

no caddy for the texans. we already have ahman green... the idea is to get someone to PLAY.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2008   #28
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Julius Peppers to the Texans for a 3rd Round pick in 2008 and 2009 and Anthony Weaver. Panthers claim that they are in a rebuilding phase and Peppers had a dramatic drop-off in performance. They don't want to pay him a large salary after his contract year in 2008.

Hey, this does classify as a move out of nowhere....
Old 01-07-2008   #29
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

1st off we sign Michael turner

We Draft Jeff Otah

We would be totally greedy to expect Samuel but i expect Dunta to come back healthy and and Bennet showed he can hang with the big boys the biggest move i would like the texans to make is hire a big time DC
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #30
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't know what we were thinking getting Green. Yes I will admit I was excited about it at first, but I knew I was just showing my support because what else was I supposed to do. I already knew he wasn't going to play half the season even before it started . Now we are stuck with him.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #31
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post
I still don't know what we were thinking getting Green. Yes I will admit I was excited about it at first, but I knew I was just showing my support because what else was I supposed to do. I already knew he wasn't going to play half the season even before it started . Now we are stuck with him.
I think it had something to do with Sherman, he's gone now!
Old 01-07-2008   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post

How would you have attempted to upgrade at RB last year with very limited cap space and without a 2nd round pick?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
WE DONT NEED A RB, IS EVERYONE BLIND OR JUST DUMB, WE NEED O LINE, CHRIS TAYLOR AND D WALKER ARE BALLERS
How about you stop insulting everyone who doesn't see everything the way you do? Mmmkay?
Old 01-07-2008   #34
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

To all those who are wanting a huge splash via FA (A.Samuel or someone in the same price range) .... I got one thing to say ...... Putting that much cash into one player when this team has several other holes to fill is not a sound decision .
If this team were a great corner or LB (Lance Briggs) away from being a Superbowl contender then it makes more sense to throw that much money at a guy who can be the missing piece ..... But this team is missing a lot more than either of those guy's can bring . Thats only asking to be in cap hell in a year or two .

Get close to the prize before you fire all your bullets .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #35
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunno if anyone else noticed, but it seems like Kubes and Gruden have a pipeline similar to the one he has/did have with Shanahan.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #36
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Julius Peppers to the Texans for a 3rd Round pick in 2008 and 2009 and Anthony Weaver. Panthers claim that they are in a rebuilding phase and Peppers had a dramatic drop-off in performance. They don't want to pay him a large salary after his contract year in 2008.

Hey, this does classify as a move out of nowhere....
The key is to rebuilb by getting rid of money. Weaver makes to much for it to be profitable to trade Peppers for him.
Old 01-07-2008   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
The key is to rebuilb by getting rid of money. Weaver makes to much for it to be profitable to trade Peppers for him.
Trade will never happen, but the details are:

Peppers has a $6.5 mil salary next year (the last of his contract). The Panthers sucked up his bonus as a roster bonus this year so they could get rid of him with no dead money.

Weaver has a $3.5 mil base salary next year and a total cap hit if he stays of $6 mil. Problem is if the Texans were to trade him they would get stuck with four years of prorated signing bonus which is $10 mil. Not happening.
Old 01-07-2008   #38
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
WE DONT NEED A RB, IS EVERYONE BLIND OR JUST DUMB, WE NEED O LINE, CHRIS TAYLOR AND D WALKER ARE BALLERS
LOL.

That's all.
Old 01-07-2008   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know if this qualifies as "out of nowhere", but how about signing Boss Bailey as strong side OLB? He played for both Richard Smith & Johnny Holland at Detroit. In '07, Bailey had his best season since his rookie year with 4 sacks as a blitzer. And, Boss would bring some much needed speed to the Texans LB corps.
Old 01-07-2008   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Trade will never happen, but the details are:

Peppers has a $6.5 mil salary next year (the last of his contract). The Panthers sucked up his bonus as a roster bonus this year so they could get rid of him with no dead money.

Weaver has a $3.5 mil base salary next year and a total cap hit if he stays of $6 mil. Problem is if the Texans were to trade him they would get stuck with four years of prorated signing bonus which is $10 mil. Not happening.
On Weaver, what about cutting him and saving $2.5m and replacing him with Earl Cochran?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read