Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2008   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default That Move Out of Nowhere

At the end of last season the majority of us were confident that David Carr would no longer be our starting QB come 2007. Still, nobody was sure what exactly would happen at the position. Some thought we would draft Brady Quinn, some thought we would sign Jake Plummer, and some thought Sage would win the job. Out of left field Rick Smith made a trade to bring in our franchise QB, RFA Matt Schaub.

We enter this offseason with LT, CB, and RB as our most pressings areas of need. Everyone has their own ideas how they want these positions addressed, whether it involves the draft, trades, or free agency. Listening to the radio the other day I heard a guy call in who claimed to know a girl who was friends with DeMeco Ryans. He said she said (yea, one of those) that word around the organization is that we are trying to make a trade with Tampa Bay for Cadillac Williams.

Now, the purpose of this thread isn't to analyze the validity of this rumor or its implications. Instead, I want to see what people think could be the Texans' "out of left field move" for the 2008 offseason. Whether it is an unexpected signing, a trade, or something in the draft.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That Move Out of Nowhere

Well I'm not sure what it is but I hope it isn't the Caddy move. Another oft hurt RB. No thanks. I think if we make a splash it will be to a top CB.
Old 01-04-2008   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
At the end of last season the majority of us were confident that David Carr would no longer be our starting QB come 2007. Still, nobody was sure what exactly would happen at the position. Some thought we would draft Brady Quinn, some thought we would sign Jake Plummer, and some thought Sage would win the job. Out of left field Rick Smith made a trade to bring in our franchise QB, RFA Matt Schaub.

We enter this offseason with LT, CB, and RB as our most pressings areas of need. Everyone has their own ideas how they want these positions addressed, whether it involves the draft, trades, or free agency. Listening to the radio the other day I heard a guy call in who claimed to know a girl who was friends with DeMeco Ryans. He said she said (yea, one of those) that word around the organization is that we are trying to make a trade with Tampa Bay for Cadillac Williams.

Now, the purpose of this thread isn't to analyze the validity of this rumor or its implications. Instead, I want to see what people think could be the Texans' "out of left field move" for the 2008 offseason. Whether it is an unexpected signing, a trade, or something in the draft.
Good question. First, I don't think Cadillac gets us down the road. I don't think we have the ammo to shoot at another impact player by trade. I think our OOLFM would be to splurge on Samuel CB in free agency and get him. If a stud LT or RB is not available at #18, I saw a post saying Miami might trade their two 2nds for our first. I'd be interested in that but not sure that meets your criteria.
Old 01-04-2008   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Sounds like a good find from the grapevine. I think this might actually hold water. It makes sense, to be honest.

He is making pretty big $$ and the Bucs may have found their guy in Earnest Graham and at a much better price. The Bucs could use our need at RB to jettison his contract away and get something in return. If all the other teams are scared away by the money and injuries, the price may be less than you think. It wouldn't be anything like a 1st Round or 2nd Round pick for sure but I could see us giving up a 4th Rounder for him and taking over his contract. The deal makes sense in a lot of ways for both parties. The Texans take the financial risk of another oft-injured running back and attempt to reap the rewards with maybe him serving in more of a running back by committee role to preserve him and keep him healthy.

Make that deal and then try and lure Samuel to Houston. We would have to let Weary go but his price may be lower since he is coming off an injury. Its an interesting offseason, that is for sure. Cadillac's are expensive but this one might be just what we are looking for.
Old 01-04-2008   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Well I'm not sure what it is but I hope it isn't the Caddy move. Another oft hurt RB. No thanks. I think if we make a splash it will be to a top CB.
It would be too much to ask for them to snag Asante Samuel, wouldn't it?

I'm sure he wants more money than we can afford, especially considering our needs in so many other critical areas. But man, that would be a sweet addition to our defensive backs.

They were discussing Julius Jones on the radio, but I'm just not sold on him being an answer for us. We need a solid offensive line, by which even decent RBs can make an impact.

It should be an interesting...and quite long...off-season.
Old 01-04-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Aw screw it. Let's sign Jared Allen and go for defense.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Well I'm not sure what it is but I hope it isn't the Caddy move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Sounds like a good find from the grapevine. I think this might actually hold water. It makes sense, to be honest.

He is making pretty big $$
Cadillac is making around $2 million per season, not enough to trade him for contact reasons. Unless he can't play any longer. The Texans can't afford to trade draft choices seeing that they are already short the 2nd round pick via the Schaub trade. Don't see it happening.
Old 01-04-2008   #8
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

houston sends #18 to miami for a 2nd rounder and JT
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
They were discussing Julius Jones on the radio, but I'm just not sold on him being an answer for us. We need a solid offensive line, by which even decent RBs can make an impact.
But by addressing RB in free agency, that frees us up to go after a LT in the draft. Julius Jones would be a good pickup, if the contract was reasonable. I think his skills surpass his production over the past couple years, because Barber has come on, and was more of a Parcells guy. I think Jones can be pretty good, and we could get him relatively cheap.

I'm not sold on Asante Samuel, for the record. I think he's a product of the Patriots and he's going to command far more than what he'll compensate for on the field over the next few years. I know he has posted a lot of INTs, and I am not saying he's a bad payer, and I could be wrong, but I'll go on record as saying I think it would be a bad move for us, both from a contract status as well as from a performance standpoint.
Old 01-04-2008   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Cadillac is making around $2 million per season, not enough to trade him for contact reasons. Unless he can't play any longer. The Texans can't afford to trade draft choices seeing that they are already short the 2nd round pick via the Schaub trade. Don't see it happening.
wow? only 2 million a year? he was the 5th pick overall wasnt he? I thought his rookie contract would be around 3.5-4 million per all said and done.

well 2million is enough reason to jettison him for a 4th then. they would want more or just go into next season with both Graham and Cadillac.
Old 01-04-2008   #11
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

---Deleted by Poster---

Last edited by Dallas_Texan; 01-04-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #12
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
But by addressing RB in free agency, that frees us up to go after a LT in the draft. Julius Jones would be a good pickup, if the contract was reasonable. I think his skills surpass his production over the past couple years, because Barber has come on, and was more of a Parcells guy. I think Jones can be pretty good, and we could get him relatively cheap.

I'm not sold on Asante Samuel, for the record. I think he's a product of the Patriots and he's going to command far more than what he'll compensate for on the field over the next few years. I know he has posted a lot of INTs, and I am not saying he's a bad payer, and I could be wrong, but I'll go on record as saying I think it would be a bad move for us, both from a contract status as well as from a performance standpoint.
I'll rep that one!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #13
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I don't think Kubiak is going to go after any running backs with a history of major injuries. Cadillac has yet to finish a season and hasn't even been that impressive either.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

More info on Cadillac:

Quote:
Cadillac Williams says doctors have told him he'll need nine-to-twelve months of rehab after undergoing surgery for a torn patellar tendon.

On that schedule, he would miss all of the Bucs' offseason activities and 2008 training camp. However, Cadillac is young without a history of knee trouble and could recover more quickly than anticipated. We might not have a good idea of his progress until the Bucs begin hitting drills late next summer.
Williams will miss all of the offseason mini camps, and possibly training camp. His contract numbers:

2008: $2.15725 million
2009: $2.594 million
2010: $2.244 million

Maybe if Casserly returns, we can get Cadillac for a 1st & a 3rd?
Old 01-04-2008   #15
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerome Mathis for Cadillac Williams. Make it happen.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #16
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
More info on Cadillac:

Williams will miss all of the offseason mini camps, and possibly training camp. His contract numbers:

2008: $2.15725 million
2009: $2.594 million
2010: $2.244 million

Maybe if Casserly returns, we can get Cadillac for a 1st & a 3rd?
His contract isn't horrible, but another injured RB? We have a pretty good supply of those I think, so I doubt it. John McLain addressed it today and said no way we would be doing it. Not sure how much he is in the know these days.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #17
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
His contract isn't horrible, but another injured RB? We have a pretty good supply of those I think, so I doubt it. John McLain addressed it today and said no way we would be doing it. Not sure how much he is in the know these days.
Honestly, I don't think you have to be "in the know" to realize that most teams wouldn't trade anything for an injured Cadillac.
Old 01-04-2008   #18
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

WE DONT NEED A RB, IS EVERYONE BLIND OR JUST DUMB, WE NEED O LINE, CHRIS TAYLOR AND D WALKER ARE BALLERS

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
WE DONT NEED A RB, IS EVERYONE BLIND OR JUST DUMB, WE NEED O LINE, CHRIS TAYLOR AND D WALKER ARE BALLERS
Chris Taylor played one game. He rushed for 99 yards the very last game of the season in 2006 against a bad Browns team. He was on the practice squad for almost the entire season except for about 2 or 3 games. He was injured all of this season. I still don't get why people think he'll be the answer at RB. Because Kubes was high on him during the pre-season in 2006? If he'd shown enough he would have gotten to play.

As far as Darius Walker, if we go into next season with him as our #1 RB, I'm not going to have confidence in our running game. He went undrafted last year, he was also on the practice squad for about half the season, etc... I'm tired of having this carousel of running backs. I want a solid, young back to be our #1. Neither Walker, Taylor, or Dayne show me that.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Chris Taylor played one game. He rushed for 99 yards the very last game of the season in 2006 against a bad Browns team. He was on the practice squad for almost the entire season except for about 2 or 3 games. He was injured all of this season. I still don't get why people think he'll be the answer at RB. Because Kubes was high on him during the pre-season in 2006? If he'd shown enough he would have gotten to play.

As far as Darius Walker, if we go into next season with him as our #1 RB, I'm not going to have confidence in our running game. He went undrafted last year, he was also on the practice squad for about half the season, etc... I'm tired of having this carousel of running backs. I want a solid, young back to be our #1. Neither Walker, Taylor, or Dayne show me that.
While I don't think Darius Walker's position in the draft should affect his playing time, I honestly don't think he's going to be much more than either a pretty good change of pace back or a mediocre at best feature back. Chris Taylor tearing his knee up could've easily screwed him out of an NFL career, as I don't know how people come back after tearing the meniscus in their knee's.

I think that this year they are not going to pick an RB with any day 1 draft pick, and probably not until the tail end of the draft if at all. I think they are confident that the competition between Dayne, Walker, possibly Taylor, and probably a few UDFA along with Ahman Green will get us by for the year. I'm also willing to bet that they work on the O-line's run blocking play quite a bit to make sure that everything is kosher before they blow their wads on either a high priced FA, or a top draft pick.

(at least that's what I'm hoping for)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read