Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-03-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Colts/titans Collusion Conspiracy???

Browns and their fans are evidently fuming and, if indeed it's true, I can't much blame them.

Quote:
Did Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans coaches have an under-the-table agreement at the end of last Sunday's game?

Tennessee quarterback Kerry Collins said on WFAN Radio on Thursday that the Titans kneeled at the end of the game Sunday because they knew the Colts wouldn't call a timeout.

With Tennessee leading 16-10 and needing a victory to make the playoffs, the Titans had originally called a running play, Collins said. But the team changed to a kneeldown when he was told over his headset that the Colts wouldn't call a timeout, which would have possibly forced the Titans to punt with less than 20 seconds left in the game, Collins said.

"Apparently there was some communication between Jeff (Fisher) and Tony (Dungy)," Collins said on WFAN.

Fisher said he knew Dungy wouldn't use the timeout because he's so familiar with the Colts coach's thinking, the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel reported Thursday.

"Let me just say, I knew he wasn't going to use it. Tony and I were on the competition committee for a long time," Fisher said, the newspaper reported.

The Titans coach also said the Colts would have gotten the ball back with 25 seconds left but down nine because Tennessee would have kicked another field goal, the newspaper reported.

"It didn't make any sense. They gave it their best shot," Fisher said, the News-Sentinel reported.

Dungy congratulated the Titans.

"I have to congratulate the Titans and I think it is a feather in the cap of our division to get three teams in the playoffs,” Dungy said, Colts.com reported. “They (the Titans) certainly deserve it.”

If true, the Cleveland Browns could possibly file a grievance alleging collusion, which is against NFL rules. The Browns would have made the playoffs if the Titans had lost.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #2
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Colts/titans Collusion Conspiracy???

Collusion has nothing to do with this VY just Broke the Colts in to submission.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #3
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

My gut feeling is that there was no collusion between the teams, but I think Dungy wasn't too concerned with winning because he preferred the tacks in the playoffs instead of the Browns...
Yeah, I know that the tacks have played well against the Colts for the last few years, but while watching the Colts/tacks game, I got the feeling that Dungy was playing it to get the tacks in instead of the Browns...
Of course, it's all speculation on my part, but that was my gut feeling at the time.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #4
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey Browns .... beat the Bengals and none of this matters .
Old 01-04-2008   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Colts/titans Collusion Conspiracy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
My gut feeling is that there was no collusion between the teams, but I think Dungy wasn't too concerned with winning .

I agree. I think it's crappy in the current system a team's playoff chances may hinge on scrubs and apathetic coaching.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is just anoter case of Dungy's self rightousness. Dungy is a PHONY. This messes with the integrity of the more thn SPY-GATE could possibly do. Check out Dungy's quotes about SPYGATE.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

if it were the colts with the lead, they would have thrown a bomb against us
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2008   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

The Browns have no one but themselves to blame. They controlled their destiny to the playoffs and lost. When you have to rely on another team losing to a team that has nothing to play for then you risk things like this happening.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets see - if they run one more run play there is a possibility of someone getting hurt in a game that is A.)meaningless to Colts (and their backups) and B.)already decided.

What reason would Dungy have to call a timeout?

Browns blew it by letting backup players for the Colts decide their playoff future.

My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #10
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
SO TRUE
Old 01-04-2008   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

exactly...browns take care of business then no "conspiracy"
Old 01-04-2008   #12
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

It is an interesting take, but I don't buy it. What's pathetic is the Titans got to play Indy's 3rd stringers to make the playoffs........while both New York and New England played starters the whole game and were basically in the same position. To me it's more about the integrity of the game than anything and Indy showed they don't care about that. The Pats and Giants showed integrity.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
That's not stirring the pot.... That's FACT!

I wont read too much into this. Dungy probably just gestured to Fisher that he had no intentions of calling a timeout. Afterall, why would he?? Running another play in that circumstance would only increase the possibility of an injury for either team. There was absolutely nothing to be gained.
Old 01-04-2008   #14
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12640 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
It is an interesting take, but I don't buy it. What's pathetic is the Titans got to play Indy's 3rd stringers to make the playoffs........while both New York and New England played starters the whole game and were basically in the same position. To me it's more about the integrity of the game than anything and Indy showed they don't care about that. The Pats and Giants showed integrity.

Probably a match against egos.

One team wanted to go undefeated, the other, to be the ones that denied them.

With that said, why do you put all of your players at risk for injury when they are both in the playoffs?

Cleveland has to man up and accept they didn't make it to the playoffs because of their own fault, not Indianapolis'.
Old 01-04-2008   #15
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
Probably a match against egos.

One team wanted to go undefeated, the other, to be the ones that denied them.

With that said, why do you put all of your players at risk for injury when they are both in the playoffs?

Cleveland has to man up and accept they didn't make it to the playoffs because of their own fault, not Indianapolis'.
Probably, and I understand the injury implications as well, but I believe in some momentum too. I bet Jax comes out flat against the Steelers and lose because of that. Just my take....
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

1. Fact Dungy let Manning bomb away all game against us
2. Fact Dungy didn't let Manning do this against the TACKS
3. Fact Dungy didn't use his last T.O. therefore didn't give his team a chance to win.
4.Fact Dungy messed with the integity of the game
5. Fact Anything Dungy saya about N.E. or Belicheck about messing with the integrity of the game is hypocrytical.
6. Fact Dungy gets a pass from the press on this stuff because he's good old Tony
7. The press is hypocritical ( Dungy vs Belicheck) (Bonds vs Clemens) & so on.
Old 01-04-2008   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems to me that Dungy would not want the Titans in the playoffs. Nobody knows your team as well as your divisional opponents, and the Tits always play the Colts well.

I think Cleveland fans are just bitter that their team couldn't get over the hump. The AFC has been tough in that regard.
Old 01-04-2008   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...c-bd2679ae1eaa

this is kinda what suprises me.. yet, I understand they had nothing to play for and don't want to risk injury to any key players

against us
Quote:
Perhaps not in the standings, because as far as the standings are concerned, the Colts clinched their division and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs a week ago.

And perhaps not to fans, or outsiders.

But to Dungy, in his sixth season as the Colts' head coach, the final two games of the season – and that includes Sunday afternoon’s game against the Houston Texans – matter quite a bit on a different level.

Two reasons:

• The games are division games.

• And they’re in the RCA Dome.

And those, to Dungy, are very big reasons indeed.

“Controlling the division is so important,” Dungy said this week as the AFC South Champion Colts (12-2) prepared to play the fourth-place Texans (7-7) at the RCA Dome Sunday at 1 p.m.

“You don’t want to give the other team that momentum. You don’t want to give them the sense that they’re better than you. You want to keep that mindset that you’re going to win these division games.”

The Colts, who have won the last five AFC South titles, will play host to another division team, the Tennessee Titans (8-6) in the season finale on Sunday, December 30.

This week, with the final two games meaning nothing in the standings, Dungy repeatedly answered questions about how much starters and front-line players would play, with the issue being the importance of rest versus momentum entering the postseason.

It’s an issue that annually faces teams that clinch their postseason seeding before the final game of the regular season, and an issue with which the Colts have dealt three of the past four seasons.

The Colts’ approach is to play as well as possible while getting as healthy as possible, Dungy said.
I am not saying that the Colts should have taken it easy on us ,but like DB said.. Titans play Colts tough and to get them in the playoffs where they might possibly meet is dangerous... just one of those games where stats can be thrown out the window when it comes to Colts-Titans
Old 01-04-2008   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Probably, and I understand the injury implications as well, but I believe in some momentum too. I bet Jax comes out flat against the Steelers and lose because of that. Just my take....
Yeah, but the Steelers played like crap in their last game. Where's their momentum coming from?

I once thought the Colts were classy. But after the pumped in crowd noise (I'm not buying the tape feed excuse), all of the whining Dungy gave the refs in week 16 (when he was getting so many favorable calls), and now this...no class.
Old 01-04-2008   #20
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

It would have given the colts maybe 25 seconds to play and try to charge down the field. What would the point be. They needed a TD. Not like Sorgi had done anything at all in the game to show he could have gotten the team down the field. Add to that that all of the main WR core was on the bench. It would make no sense to call a TO and try to push it down the field. If the Colts had to win sure I might see it but it would have taken a miracle.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read