Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-22-2008   #41
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Game-O line or The Running Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
If we don't get a LT in the draft, we can always wait until next year. Us Texans fans are used to it. It'll hell to try to fix all of our needs this year alone. Besides! I want a RB anyway (Stewart, most of all). A player we can be proud of at the end of the year for once besides DeMeco and Mario.

If we get one during the 2009 draft it'll be just in time for our deep playoff push, assuming we make the playoffs this upcoming year.
Building a super o-line:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5473048.html

Quote:
Everyone in the organization knows the Patriots' success, including the trip to Arizona to play the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII, wouldn't be possible without the consistently outstanding performance by the offensive linemen.

Fearsome Fivesome
Tackles Matt Light and Nick Kaczur, guards Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal and center Dan Koppen form the best offensive line in the NFL — one that protects quarterback Tom Brady as if he were the president.
http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/patriots.html

OLT, Matt Light: 2001 drafted 2.17
LG, Logan Mankins:2005 drafted 1.32
C, Dan Koppen: 2003 drafted 5.29
RG, Stephen Neal: FA 2001 *
RT, Nick Kaczuc: 2005 drafted 3.36

When something works, especialy after you've had several years of floundering at the same task you emulate the sucsess.

*Stephen Neal

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=9&c...26p%3d9%26c%3d
2%26cid%3d720226%26nid%3d2986868%26fhn%3d1

Quote:
How Acquired: Signed by the Patriots as a free agent July 23, 2001. Waived by the team before the 2001 season where he spent time on the Philadelphia Eagles practice squad until the Patriots resigned him on December 12, 2001.

Scouting Report: Athletic player who knows how to get position. Uses experience from wrestling to gain leverage on opponents... works well in space able to pull and kick out block on screens or trap plays... not a dominating straight-ahead blocker has the ability to hold his position well... solid pass protector.
What stirkes me most about the Patriots overall draft since 2000 is how often they have missed on o-line guys. They do not trade for them nor do they sign them from other teams . They draft them. Stephen Neal is the lone FA starting in the SB.

The Texans never have drafted an o-lineman number One. The Patties make a habit out of it. Must be luck, huh ? Now tell me another one thunder kiss.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-22-2008 at 11:00 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Building a super o-line:

When something works, especialy after you've had several years of floundering at the same task you emulate the sucsess.

*Stephen Neal

What stirkes me most about the Patriots overall draft since 2000 is how often they have missed on o-line guys. They do not trade for them nor do they sign them from other teams . They draft them. Stephen Neal is the lone FA starting in the SB.

The Texans never have drafted an o-lineman number One. The Patties make a habit out of it. Must be luck, huh ? Now tell me another one thunder kiss.
I think SMith GM has shown the ability to make excellent choices in lower rounds. His priority of when to fill a round may be different than ours. He might decide Stewart at # 18, Anthony Collins, Tony Hill in third and FS Demps in 4th. Oops that is how I would pick. Can we have two guys named Demps at FS? I go FS in 4th only if we can't re-sign our pro bowler.
Old 01-22-2008   #43
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This business about grading the O-lines is extremely complicated.
How they play together, the other parts on offense. The talents on the Ds, the D-lines, the defensive schemes they played against, the number of injuries on each team, etc.

I was about to get to McClain article, from which I think it's kinda ironic when there's no picture of the Center, #67 Dan Koppen, a second team all-pro, and an AFC pro-bowler.
Watching the game against the Chargers, I noticed Koppen flat on his back at least 3 times. His counterpart #61 of the Chargers, at least twice.
And that was without paying close attention and without reviewing the game.

And here we are, many fans have been complaining about Flanagan and McKinney on their plays. (Their age and health are different things and of concern entering next season.) I believe the criticism has been too harsh.

In all honesty, I haven't reviewed the last Texans' four games.
The rest I had spent at least 15 hours each (not to say that I have enough knowledge to decipher all the plays and break down each individual performances, only that I do try to learn.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Building a super o-line:

*Stephen Neal

But really, the Pats' only high draft pick on the O-line since 2002 was Mankins at #32

Matt Light was drafted in 2001

Their guy in the #5 Koppen worked out, ours (Hodgdon hasn't).

Otherwise, we've had Pitts, Weary, Spencer, Winston.
If you look at where the two teams drafted, we've been paying attention to the O-line almost as much as they did.

We started out as an expansion team, so each mistake we made was magnified, is what I think.
Old 01-22-2008   #45
andre'
Bandwagoner

Rep Power: 12 andre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden cover

combination of mediocre talent at both
andre' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008   #46
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre' View Post
combination of mediocre talent at both
???

Can you clarify?
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2008   #47
andre'
Bandwagoner

Rep Power: 12 andre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden coverandre' could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
???

Can you clarify?
Thanks!
I mean the O line is ok but nothing special, and so are the RBs. They need to draft of acquire more talented players there.
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2008   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre' View Post
I mean the O line is ok but nothing special, and so are the RBs. They need to draft of acquire more talented players there.
On the Texans?

If so, yes agreed!

As a Pats fan, your input as to how you see each of them perform will be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2008   #49
andre'
Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
On the Texans?

If so, yes agreed!

As a Pats fan, your input as to how you see each of them perform will be appreciated.
When I'm posting here it will be strictly as a texan fan. Just to clarify

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read