Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Rex Ryan and Brian Billick available, coaching options for the Texans?

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
"Billick was fired Monday, less than 24 hours after the Ravens concluded a season of high expectations with a lackluster 5-11 record. His entire staff, including defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, also was dismissed."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-ravens-nobillick&prov=ap&type=lgns

If Smith is let go at DC, as some have speculated, how would you feel about Rex Ryan stepping in? I think he would be a very solid choice. Of course in the article it states he's been considered for the Head Coach position vacated by Billick.

And how about Billick? I am not sure what his background is, I always associate the Ravens with defense, probably because of Ryan. I can't be sure but I thought I read somewhere Billick was an offensive guy.

"Billick was fired Monday, less than 24 hours after the Ravens concluded a season of high expectations with a lackluster 5-11 record. His entire staff, including defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, also was dismissed."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-ravens-nobillick&prov=ap&type=lgns

If Smith is let go at DC, as some have speculated, how would you feel about Rex Ryan stepping in? I think he would be a very solid choice. Of course in the article it states he's been considered for the Head Coach position vacated by Billick.

And how about Billick? I am not sure what his background is, I always associate the Ravens with defense, probably because of Ryan. I can't be sure but I thought I read somewhere Billick was an offensive guy.

He is.

If the Ravens don't make Ryan their Head Coach I'd there is a 3% chance he'll come here to be our defensive co-ordinator. Its more likely he'll be a head coach somewhere, but BOY would I loooove to have him as our DC.

Either of the Ryan twins was who I wanted to replace Capers with a couple years ago.

Glad they did not listen to me, Kubiak has done a good job.

I can't be sure but I thought I read somewhere Billick was an offensive guy.

Allegedly......

He is known for his offense in Minnesota.

Ironically though it was Baltimore's defense that has been so good these last 8 or 9 years.... His offenses there, were crap.

Allegedly......

Ironically though it was Baltimore's defense that has been so good these last 8 or 9 years.... His offenses there, were crap.

He had a lot more to work with in Minnesota (Moss, Culpepper, Carter) on offense than he has in Baltimore. Still, no dice on him.

Either one of the Ryans would be alright, but they will probably get a HC gig somewhere I'm sure (Falcons?).

based on McNair's unwillingness to spend the big money on coaching or players, I seriously doubt he could lure either of the Ryans to come here. Rex is the only one who is a possibility because the other is already the Raider's DC and we can't hire him away unless its through a promotion.

getting either guy would be a big help but I just dont see it. I see Rex having his pick of jobs for the most part. The only jobs I dont think he has a shot at are Baltimore (considering they fired him as DC) and Miami (because he is not a Parcells guy).

As for the talk of Martz....please for the love of god. NO!!!!

All I know is that we need a new DC because Richard Smith for lack of a better word, just sucks big time.

Allegedly......

That they were but 13 starting QB's over that time period explains a lot of their offensive problems , He just didnt have a lot to work with ..... The expectations on Offense went up when McNair came over but he couldnt stay on the field .

Agreed. Won't be too much longer if it's going to happen at all. At least we know who'll be tied to the whipping post this off season.

No doubt. I would think that they would let him go this week if it was going to happen.

But up-and-coming teams don't like to change both coordinators in one off-season. Having Sherman leave will be another reason to keep the coaching line-up stable. Add to that our best record in franchise history, there will not be much of a public outcry to serve someone's head on a platter.

based on McNair's unwillingness to spend the big money on coaching or players, I seriously doubt he could lure either of the Ryans to come here. Rex is the only one who is a possibility because the other is already the Raider's DC and we can't hire him away unless its through a promotion.

getting either guy would be a big help but I just dont see it. I see Rex having his pick of jobs for the most part. The only jobs I dont think he has a shot at are Baltimore (considering they fired him as DC) and Miami (because he is not a Parcells guy).

As for the talk of Martz....please for the love of god. NO!!!!

All I know is that we need a new DC because Richard Smith for lack of a better word, just sucks big time.

Please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

At the time Capers and Palmer were considered high profile hires. Last year we had so much dead money because McNair schelled out money for whom ever Capers and Casserly wanted and the contracts they wanted, so in-turn the Texans could not sign any FA except small money guys . Sherman, was a big name guy on offense and Kubiak was at the time a highly regarded OC who was going to get his first head coaching job rather soon when the Texans paid him to be theirs.

Both Ryan's at the time were employed and so was Gregg Williams (Redskins)and Kiffin (Bucs) was still employed as well. I am trying to think of any other big time names that were not already employed whom they could got, but I could not think of anyone.

I am not happy with Smith at all but you keep throwing the owner under the bus and saying he is a cheap guy and will not spend the money for quality coaches or players but he is not the one picking the players it was capers and casserly at the time and they spent money just not very wisely. Now Smith and Kubiak are shopping for the groceries and have not had much money so they were buying chuck or ground round, this offseason they have some money to hopefully get a porterhouse or top sirloin.

Please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

At the time Capers and Palmer were considered high profile hires. Last year we had so much dead money because McNair schelled out money for whom ever Capers and Casserly wanted and the contracts they wanted, so in-turn the Texans could not sign any FA except small money guys . Sherman, was a big name guy on offense and Kubiak was at the time a highly regarded OC who was going to get his first head coaching job rather soon when the Texans paid him to be theirs.

Both Ryan's at the time were employed and so was Gregg Williams (Redskins)and Kiffin (Bucs) was still employed as well. I am trying to think of any other big time names that were not already employed whom they could got, but I could not think of anyone.

I am not happy with Smith at all but you keep throwing the owner under the bus and saying he is a cheap guy and will not spend the money for quality coaches or players but he is not the one picking the players it was capers and casserly at the time and they spent money just not very wisely. Now Smith and Kubiak are shopping for the groceries and have not had much money so they were buying chuck or ground round, this offseason they have some money to hopefully get a porterhouse or top sirloin.

well said, Spec and it supports your argument well. I just feel that he (mcnair) hasn't done enough to show the willingness to open the pocketbook.

i thought capers was a good hire but would have rather had Parcells or Jimmah Johnson. True that may have been dreamland, but to not even try is quite lame. I am sure Asserley wouldnt have liked it though and for some reason Bob thought Asserley was worth a crud. He was wrong and we are still paying for that moronic move. i thought hiring Casserley was a horrible move especially with his track record on drafting QBs being so bad (Shuler comes to mind). Drafting a QB #1 overall to start your franchise was moronic too, but at least Bob got his GQ pool boy drafted. Bad move.

Personnel wise, letting Glenn and McRee go over $$ was just ignorant. Those both seemed to be penny pinching moves as did the releasing of Sharper, Smith, and Walker. Granted, those 3 players didn't do much once they were gone but it seemed to me to be a backwards move. I felt Smith deserved another year under a new system, at least.

As for the latest regime, I think our staff of assistants is embarassing for a franchise aspiring to make the playoffs and make some noise. I felt Kubiak was a hometown hire and not the best guy for the job. I still feel that way. He was gotten on the cheap and I don't think he would have gotten a sniff of HC from any other team, period. But he is an Aggie and a local boy so he got his shot, and to be honest, hasn't done horribly at the job on a personal level. But his ability to hire people to work for him that are truly qualified and gifted must be questioned. Sherman was a coup and is an example of McNair spending good money on assistants, but that relationship didn't last too long. Whether or not Sherman would have stayed as OC for top money will never be known but McNair wasn't about to punk a significant portion of his fanbase by keeping Sherman away from college station.

One of the Ryan boys should be our defensive coordinator, is all i am saying. They are out there, they are able to be hired without paying draftpick compensation, and they would be huge upgrades over Richard 'No Sack' Smith. you have to act fast in regards to coaching and it seems like they are 'standing pat' and that is unacceptable and puts McNair in a cheap light and Kubiak better be held accountable next year if the same defense shows up next year and we have the same results as this year. Things have to change and it starts up top for the defense, Richard Smith. The guy just sucks.

Richard Smith shoudl already be unemployed, one of the Ryans should already be meeting with Texans leadership, and Andre Davis should already be talking terms with Texans brass as well. That would show that McNair isn't afraid to pay the piper. If we dont spend the bread and resign some of our 'temp' guys we are going to be right back where we started from. I am sorry but I just don't like Bob and I think his involvement in the franchise has retarded the development greatly. Now that he seems to be shutting his mouth and just cutting checks, things are progressing, albeit slowly.

Recently I had a conversation with one of the assistant coaches for the Texans. He said he loves McNair as an owner, and that anything or anyone they need to spend money on, McNair will do it. He mentioned some things that no other owner spends money on.

I have no doubt that if Kubiak wanted to get a new DC, and wanted McNair to spend for it, it would happen right away.

We could hire any DC we wanted to if we made him assistant head coach and they didn't already have that title.

I don't see Richard Smith going anywhere because:

1. He has the injury excuse.
2. The owner is patient.
3. The owner is niiiiiiiice.
4. The owner lets the football people make the decisions on things, and I think Smith gets another year.

The owner is not cheap.

They've spent bucks on coaches in the past, and bucks on players, though with players you also have salary cap concerns. Signability has been discussed by McNair in the past, but I think that has less to do with cheapness, and more to do with a young team needing their players in camp and not pulling a JaMarcus Russell.

well said, Spec and it supports your argument well. I just feel that he (mcnair) hasn't done enough to show the willingness to open the pocketbook.

i thought capers was a good hire but would have rather had Parcells or Jimmah Johnson. True that may have been dreamland, but to not even try is quite lame. I am sure Asserley wouldnt have liked it though and for some reason Bob thought Asserley was worth a crud. He was wrong and we are still paying for that moronic move. i thought hiring Casserley was a horrible move especially with his track record on drafting QBs being so bad (Shuler comes to mind). Drafting a QB #1 overall to start your franchise was moronic too, but at least Bob got his GQ pool boy drafted. Bad move.

Personnel wise, letting Glenn and McRee go over $$ was just ignorant. Those both seemed to be penny pinching moves as did the releasing of Sharper, Smith, and Walker. Granted, those 3 players didn't do much once they were gone but it seemed to me to be a backwards move. I felt Smith deserved another year under a new system, at least.

As for the latest regime, I think our staff of assistants is embarassing for a franchise aspiring to make the playoffs and make some noise. I felt Kubiak was a hometown hire and not the best guy for the job. I still feel that way. He was gotten on the cheap and I don't think he would have gotten a sniff of HC from any other team, period. But he is an Aggie and a local boy so he got his shot, and to be honest, hasn't done horribly at the job on a personal level. But his ability to hire people to work for him that are truly qualified and gifted must be questioned. Sherman was a coup and is an example of McNair spending good money on assistants, but that relationship didn't last too long. Whether or not Sherman would have stayed as OC for top money will never be known but McNair wasn't about to punk a significant portion of his fanbase by keeping Sherman away from college station.

One of the Ryan boys should be our defensive coordinator, is all i am saying. They are out there, they are able to be hired without paying draftpick compensation, and they would be huge upgrades over Richard 'No Sack' Smith. you have to act fast in regards to coaching and it seems like they are 'standing pat' and that is unacceptable and puts McNair in a cheap light and Kubiak better be held accountable next year if the same defense shows up next year and we have the same results as this year. Things have to change and it starts up top for the defense, Richard Smith. The guy just sucks.

Richard Smith shoudl already be unemployed, one of the Ryans should already be meeting with Texans leadership, and Andre Davis should already be talking terms with Texans brass as well. That would show that McNair isn't afraid to pay the piper. If we dont spend the bread and resign some of our 'temp' guys we are going to be right back where we started from. I am sorry but I just don't like Bob and I think his involvement in the franchise has retarded the development greatly. Now that he seems to be shutting his mouth and just cutting checks, things are progressing, albeit slowly.

Wow! Seriously? That's your take on the owner of our team? Where do you get your information from? Do you know the extent of his involvment in the day to day operations of the franchise? How are you certain that he doesn't want to spend money for a capable coaching staff? I find it hard to believe that an owner would shell out that kind of cheese and then be suffice to have a mediocre team on the field because he won't "pony up" the cash. Every team owner knows that by bringing in fans and going to the post season will push your revenue through the roof. I'm sure Bob spends plenty of money where it's needed. Next time you post, bring the facts with statements like those, not just your biased opinion.

Wow! Seriously? That's your take on the owner of our team? Where do you get your information from? Do you know the extent of his involvment in the day to day operations of the franchise? How are you certain that he doesn't want to spend money for a capable coaching staff? I find it hard to believe that an owner would shell out that kind of cheese and then be suffice to have a mediocre team on the field because he won't "pony up" the cash. Every team owner knows that by bringing in fans and going to the post season will push your revenue through the roof. I'm sure Bob spends plenty of money where it's needed. Next time you post, bring the facts with statements like those, not just your biased opinion.

McNair's revenue doesnt rely on fans buying tickets. The tickets are already bought. The ad revenue already generated. The TV deal already signed. granted, if the fans don't show up to the game he loses some gameday money (concessions and souvenirs) but nothing else. McNair is still going through the honeymoon stage here in Houston. He has nothing to worry about.

Richard Smith sucks. There are more qualified people out there. They arent being hired. Why? Is it because McNair is busy or doesnt have the time. No, its because he is too niiiiice and because he already has someone signed....who frankly, sucks. translation: too nice and too cheap

does anyone actually think that Richard Smith is our best option? if he is not THEN WHY ISNT ANYONE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT? If it helps the team, get the damn deal done, and if you are too cheap or too niiiice to do it, then you are in the wrong business.

I am just seriously worried that Richard Smith is coming back in '08. It is frightening me. I am going to hope for the best and hope the guy gets fired and I will look to last offseason when many thought Carr was coming back for 07 only to be blessed by him being released like trash later that offseason. hopefully the same thing will happen but in coaching you cant wait or you lose. Just ask Kubiak when he tried to assemble a staff late. it is impossible and then you are locked into and choosing from 2nd rate coaches (such as Richard Smith).

FIRE RICHARD NOW!

McNair's revenue doesnt rely on fans buying tickets. The tickets are already bought. The ad revenue already generated. The TV deal already signed. granted, if the fans don't show up to the game he loses some gameday money (concessions and souvenirs) but nothing else. McNair is still going through the honeymoon stage here in Houston. He has nothing to worry about.

Richard Smith sucks. There are more qualified people out there. They arent being hired. Why? Is it because McNair is busy or doesnt have the time. No, its because he is too niiiiice and because he already has someone signed....who frankly, sucks. translation: too nice and too cheap

does anyone actually think that Richard Smith is our best option? if he is not THEN WHY ISNT ANYONE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT? If it helps the team, get the damn deal done, and if you are too cheap or too niiiice to do it, then you are in the wrong business.

I am just seriously worried that Richard Smith is coming back in '08. It is frightening me. I am going to hope for the best and hope the guy gets fired and I will look to last offseason when many thought Carr was coming back for 07 only to be blessed by him being released like trash later that offseason. hopefully the same thing will happen but in coaching you cant wait or you lose. Just ask Kubiak when he tried to assemble a staff late. it is impossible and then you are locked into and choosing from 2nd rate coaches (such as Richard Smith).

FIRE RICHARD NOW!

OK ticket sales and parking is only a small portion of revenue You did mention consessions, but that does not count for merchandise sales, why do you think the Cowboys and Patriots have some of the highest revenue in football, it is because the teams win and can charge more to advertisers and the regular fans buy a crap load of Jersey's, Jackets, hats, and everything else concievable. So the revenue can always be expanded and only winning expands that revenue.

Why are you blasting McNair, why not Kubiak or Smith they are the ones incharge of player and coaching personel. Do you want an owner to fire the D coordinator when the HC or GM does not want just because it is what the fans want and or think should happen? That would not be a very good working inviroment, let the people you hired to run the football operations run the football operations.

He is.

If the Ravens don't make Ryan their Head Coach I'd there is a 3% chance he'll come here to be our defensive co-ordinator. Its more likely he'll be a head coach somewhere, but BOY would I loooove to have him as our DC.

I keep hearing that the Ravens defensive players absolutely Hated Ryan, and they wouldn't play for them half of the time. Then, he pulled that time out during the New England game, and screwed them over even more, and easily lost them the game.

Well, if you've been even remotely familiar with the Ravens since their inception, you'd know that offense was never their strong suit. This doesn't speak a lot of good for Billick the Offensive Guy. I really wouldn't want him to take the reigns at OC. Rex Ryan on the other hand would be a fantastic selection for DC. However, the man is more than head coach worthy. So it would only be a pipe dream to even contemplate the possibilities of Ryan as our DC.

I keep hearing that the Ravens defensive players absolutely Hated Ryan, and they wouldn't play for them half of the time. Then, he pulled that time out during the New England game, and screwed them over even more, and easily lost them the game.

strange from what i have read over the years and seen they loved rex ryan. he may have made some bad calls this year and pissed some of them off but again who knows

Well, if you've been even remotely familiar with the Ravens since their inception, you'd know that offense was never their strong suit. This doesn't speak a lot of good for Billick the Offensive Guy. I really wouldn't want him to take the reigns at OC. Rex Ryan on the other hand would be a fantastic selection for DC. However, the man is more than head coach worthy. So it would only be a pipe dream to even contemplate the possibilities of Ryan as our DC.

I thought it was Billick that called the TO?

I have wanted Rex Ryan as the Texans DC for awhile . I like his energy and passion for the game . He would be a refreshing change IMO . They need a high energy type guy on the sidelines . :cool:

I don't see Richard Smith being moved.

McNair invested in Kubiak and Kubiak chose Smith and they have been drafting to fit his defense (hence the DL picks).

I think their is loyalty being shown but I also think they are looking at the long term success of the franchise and want stability as they build towards something.

I do think Billick was a great OC. Until the Patriots this year, his last offense in Minnesota was the highest scoring offense in league history. With a 35-year-old Randall Cunningham at QB and decent, but not great RBs. Yes, he had Moss and Chris Carter, but those two were hardly the first great 1-2 WR punch the NFL has ever seen.

Part of what did Billick in at Baltimore was his arrogant belief in his own offensive genius: he thought his brilliance, rather than talent, could make the O work. Ozzie Newsome bought into that thinking and thus generally used his high draft picks on defense. On the relatively few occassions they wnet for offensive weapons, their success rate was about 50% (hits like Jamal Lewis and Todd Heap, duds like Kyle Boller and Travis Taylor).

In the end, though, the inability to get a QB did Billick in. To make matter worse, as a head coach, he did not have the time to personally work with a QB in the way he could as an OC. By the end of his tenure, Billick would have killed for a QB like Schaub.

Unless we have our new OC targeted, we should be beating on Billick's door right now.

i honestly don't want any part of martz or billick. next.
Haven't seen this posted anywhere else
Also, there's nothing on the offensive coordinator front.

Coach Gary Kubiak is going to take his time and interview a lot of candidates before making a decision on who will replace Mike Sherman. And it won't be Mike Martz, fired by the Detroit Lions as offensive coordinator Wednesday, or former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick, who was fired Monday.

"I like to have patience in these situations," Kubiak said. "I like my offensive staff. It's important that I have the right fit with the group, so we'll take our time. I'll talk to all the offensive coaches to get their input."

Quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan and former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell, who coached Denver's receivers for three years when Kubiak was the Broncos' offensive coordinator, are among the candidates.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5422763.html

Haven't seen this posted anywhere else

Also, there's nothing on the offensive coordinator front.

Coach Gary Kubiak is going to take his time and interview a lot of candidates before making a decision on who will replace Mike Sherman. And it won't be Mike Martz, fired by the Detroit Lions as offensive coordinator Wednesday, or former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick, who was fired Monday.

"I like to have patience in these situations," Kubiak said. "I like my offensive staff. It's important that I have the right fit with the group, so we'll take our time. I'll talk to all the offensive coaches to get their input."

Quarterbacks coach Kyle Shanahan and former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell, who coached Denver's receivers for three years when Kubiak was the Broncos' offensive coordinator, are among the candidates.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5422763.html

Wow, Mini-Shanny is being considered for the job....talk about being on the fast track. This kid must be an extremely smart and talented coach.

Wow, Mini-Shanny is being considered for the job....talk about being on the fast track. This kid must be an extremely smart and talented coach.

Orrr.....Kubiak does most of the work on the offensive side of the ball anyways so why not have a young yes man there to agree with everything he does?

Just kidding, but if I hadn't kept up with the team that'd be the first thing that would come to mind.

I've heard by many that Shanny Jr. is an offensive guru. :texflag:

Back