Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2008   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Rex Ryan and Brian Billick available, coaching options for the Texans?

"Billick was fired Monday, less than 24 hours after the Ravens concluded a season of high expectations with a lackluster 5-11 record. His entire staff, including defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, also was dismissed."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

If Smith is let go at DC, as some have speculated, how would you feel about Rex Ryan stepping in? I think he would be a very solid choice. Of course in the article it states he's been considered for the Head Coach position vacated by Billick.

And how about Billick? I am not sure what his background is, I always associate the Ravens with defense, probably because of Ryan. I can't be sure but I thought I read somewhere Billick was an offensive guy.
Old 01-02-2008   #2
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rex Ryan and Brian Billick available, coaching options for the Texans?

Yeah Bilick is an offense guy, I also saw that Martz the OC in Detroit was let go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177253
Old 01-02-2008   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx
Default Re: Rex Ryan and Brian Billick available, coaching options for the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
"Billick was fired Monday, less than 24 hours after the Ravens concluded a season of high expectations with a lackluster 5-11 record. His entire staff, including defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, also was dismissed."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

If Smith is let go at DC, as some have speculated, how would you feel about Rex Ryan stepping in? I think he would be a very solid choice. Of course in the article it states he's been considered for the Head Coach position vacated by Billick.

And how about Billick? I am not sure what his background is, I always associate the Ravens with defense, probably because of Ryan. I can't be sure but I thought I read somewhere Billick was an offensive guy.
He is.

If the Ravens don't make Ryan their Head Coach I'd there is a 3% chance he'll come here to be our defensive co-ordinator. Its more likely he'll be a head coach somewhere, but BOY would I loooove to have him as our DC.
Old 01-02-2008   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Either of the Ryan twins was who I wanted to replace Capers with a couple years ago.

Glad they did not listen to me, Kubiak has done a good job.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102688 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I can't be sure but I thought I read somewhere Billick was an offensive guy.
Allegedly......

He is known for his offense in Minnesota.

Ironically though it was Baltimore's defense that has been so good these last 8 or 9 years.... His offenses there, were crap.
Old 01-02-2008   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Allegedly......

Ironically though it was Baltimore's defense that has been so good these last 8 or 9 years.... His offenses there, were crap.
He had a lot more to work with in Minnesota (Moss, Culpepper, Carter) on offense than he has in Baltimore. Still, no dice on him.

Either one of the Ryans would be alright, but they will probably get a HC gig somewhere I'm sure (Falcons?).
Old 01-02-2008   #7
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't be surprised if Rex Ryan gets the head coaching job in Baltimore and hires his brother Rob as the defensive coordinator.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2008   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Rex Ryan gets the head coaching job in Baltimore and hires his brother Rob as the defensive coordinator.
dickieb says that Rob is on his way to New York to make the Green and White look at least halfway competent on D.

Source
Old 01-02-2008   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

based on McNair's unwillingness to spend the big money on coaching or players, I seriously doubt he could lure either of the Ryans to come here. Rex is the only one who is a possibility because the other is already the Raider's DC and we can't hire him away unless its through a promotion.

getting either guy would be a big help but I just dont see it. I see Rex having his pick of jobs for the most part. The only jobs I dont think he has a shot at are Baltimore (considering they fired him as DC) and Miami (because he is not a Parcells guy).

As for the talk of Martz....please for the love of god. NO!!!!

All I know is that we need a new DC because Richard Smith for lack of a better word, just sucks big time.
Old 01-02-2008   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt they fire Richard Smith.
Old 01-02-2008   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Allegedly......

That they were but 13 starting QB's over that time period explains a lot of their offensive problems , He just didnt have a lot to work with ..... The expectations on Offense went up when McNair came over but he couldnt stay on the field .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I doubt they fire Richard Smith.
Agreed. Won't be too much longer if it's going to happen at all. At least we know who'll be tied to the whipping post this off season.
Old 01-02-2008   #13
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Raiders just fired Rob Ryans too...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Agreed. Won't be too much longer if it's going to happen at all. At least we know who'll be tied to the whipping post this off season.
No doubt. I would think that they would let him go this week if it was going to happen.

But up-and-coming teams don't like to change both coordinators in one off-season. Having Sherman leave will be another reason to keep the coaching line-up stable. Add to that our best record in franchise history, there will not be much of a public outcry to serve someone's head on a platter.
Old 01-02-2008   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
based on McNair's unwillingness to spend the big money on coaching or players, I seriously doubt he could lure either of the Ryans to come here. Rex is the only one who is a possibility because the other is already the Raider's DC and we can't hire him away unless its through a promotion.

getting either guy would be a big help but I just dont see it. I see Rex having his pick of jobs for the most part. The only jobs I dont think he has a shot at are Baltimore (considering they fired him as DC) and Miami (because he is not a Parcells guy).

As for the talk of Martz....please for the love of god. NO!!!!

All I know is that we need a new DC because Richard Smith for lack of a better word, just sucks big time.

Please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

At the time Capers and Palmer were considered high profile hires. Last year we had so much dead money because McNair schelled out money for whom ever Capers and Casserly wanted and the contracts they wanted, so in-turn the Texans could not sign any FA except small money guys . Sherman, was a big name guy on offense and Kubiak was at the time a highly regarded OC who was going to get his first head coaching job rather soon when the Texans paid him to be theirs.

Both Ryan's at the time were employed and so was Gregg Williams (Redskins)and Kiffin (Bucs) was still employed as well. I am trying to think of any other big time names that were not already employed whom they could got, but I could not think of anyone.

I am not happy with Smith at all but you keep throwing the owner under the bus and saying he is a cheap guy and will not spend the money for quality coaches or players but he is not the one picking the players it was capers and casserly at the time and they spent money just not very wisely. Now Smith and Kubiak are shopping for the groceries and have not had much money so they were buying chuck or ground round, this offseason they have some money to hopefully get a porterhouse or top sirloin.
Old 01-02-2008   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Please explain how you have come to this conclusion?

At the time Capers and Palmer were considered high profile hires. Last year we had so much dead money because McNair schelled out money for whom ever Capers and Casserly wanted and the contracts they wanted, so in-turn the Texans could not sign any FA except small money guys . Sherman, was a big name guy on offense and Kubiak was at the time a highly regarded OC who was going to get his first head coaching job rather soon when the Texans paid him to be theirs.

Both Ryan's at the time were employed and so was Gregg Williams (Redskins)and Kiffin (Bucs) was still employed as well. I am trying to think of any other big time names that were not already employed whom they could got, but I could not think of anyone.

I am not happy with Smith at all but you keep throwing the owner under the bus and saying he is a cheap guy and will not spend the money for quality coaches or players but he is not the one picking the players it was capers and casserly at the time and they spent money just not very wisely. Now Smith and Kubiak are shopping for the groceries and have not had much money so they were buying chuck or ground round, this offseason they have some money to hopefully get a porterhouse or top sirloin.
well said, Spec and it supports your argument well. I just feel that he (mcnair) hasn't done enough to show the willingness to open the pocketbook.

i thought capers was a good hire but would have rather had Parcells or Jimmah Johnson. True that may have been dreamland, but to not even try is quite lame. I am sure Asserley wouldnt have liked it though and for some reason Bob thought Asserley was worth a crud. He was wrong and we are still paying for that moronic move. i thought hiring Casserley was a horrible move especially with his track record on drafting QBs being so bad (Shuler comes to mind). Drafting a QB #1 overall to start your franchise was moronic too, but at least Bob got his GQ pool boy drafted. Bad move.

Personnel wise, letting Glenn and McRee go over $$ was just ignorant. Those both seemed to be penny pinching moves as did the releasing of Sharper, Smith, and Walker. Granted, those 3 players didn't do much once they were gone but it seemed to me to be a backwards move. I felt Smith deserved another year under a new system, at least.

As for the latest regime, I think our staff of assistants is embarassing for a franchise aspiring to make the playoffs and make some noise. I felt Kubiak was a hometown hire and not the best guy for the job. I still feel that way. He was gotten on the cheap and I don't think he would have gotten a sniff of HC from any other team, period. But he is an Aggie and a local boy so he got his shot, and to be honest, hasn't done horribly at the job on a personal level. But his ability to hire people to work for him that are truly qualified and gifted must be questioned. Sherman was a coup and is an example of McNair spending good money on assistants, but that relationship didn't last too long. Whether or not Sherman would have stayed as OC for top money will never be known but McNair wasn't about to punk a significant portion of his fanbase by keeping Sherman away from college station.

One of the Ryan boys should be our defensive coordinator, is all i am saying. They are out there, they are able to be hired without paying draftpick compensation, and they would be huge upgrades over Richard 'No Sack' Smith. you have to act fast in regards to coaching and it seems like they are 'standing pat' and that is unacceptable and puts McNair in a cheap light and Kubiak better be held accountable next year if the same defense shows up next year and we have the same results as this year. Things have to change and it starts up top for the defense, Richard Smith. The guy just sucks.

Richard Smith shoudl already be unemployed, one of the Ryans should already be meeting with Texans leadership, and Andre Davis should already be talking terms with Texans brass as well. That would show that McNair isn't afraid to pay the piper. If we dont spend the bread and resign some of our 'temp' guys we are going to be right back where we started from. I am sorry but I just don't like Bob and I think his involvement in the franchise has retarded the development greatly. Now that he seems to be shutting his mouth and just cutting checks, things are progressing, albeit slowly.
Old 01-02-2008   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Recently I had a conversation with one of the assistant coaches for the Texans. He said he loves McNair as an owner, and that anything or anyone they need to spend money on, McNair will do it. He mentioned some things that no other owner spends money on.

I have no doubt that if Kubiak wanted to get a new DC, and wanted McNair to spend for it, it would happen right away.

We could hire any DC we wanted to if we made him assistant head coach and they didn't already have that title.

I don't see Richard Smith going anywhere because:

1. He has the injury excuse.
2. The owner is patient.
3. The owner is niiiiiiiice.
4. The owner lets the football people make the decisions on things, and I think Smith gets another year.

The owner is not cheap.

They've spent bucks on coaches in the past, and bucks on players, though with players you also have salary cap concerns. Signability has been discussed by McNair in the past, but I think that has less to do with cheapness, and more to do with a young team needing their players in camp and not pulling a JaMarcus Russell.
Old 01-02-2008   #18
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well said, Spec and it supports your argument well. I just feel that he (mcnair) hasn't done enough to show the willingness to open the pocketbook.

i thought capers was a good hire but would have rather had Parcells or Jimmah Johnson. True that may have been dreamland, but to not even try is quite lame. I am sure Asserley wouldnt have liked it though and for some reason Bob thought Asserley was worth a crud. He was wrong and we are still paying for that moronic move. i thought hiring Casserley was a horrible move especially with his track record on drafting QBs being so bad (Shuler comes to mind). Drafting a QB #1 overall to start your franchise was moronic too, but at least Bob got his GQ pool boy drafted. Bad move.

Personnel wise, letting Glenn and McRee go over $$ was just ignorant. Those both seemed to be penny pinching moves as did the releasing of Sharper, Smith, and Walker. Granted, those 3 players didn't do much once they were gone but it seemed to me to be a backwards move. I felt Smith deserved another year under a new system, at least.

As for the latest regime, I think our staff of assistants is embarassing for a franchise aspiring to make the playoffs and make some noise. I felt Kubiak was a hometown hire and not the best guy for the job. I still feel that way. He was gotten on the cheap and I don't think he would have gotten a sniff of HC from any other team, period. But he is an Aggie and a local boy so he got his shot, and to be honest, hasn't done horribly at the job on a personal level. But his ability to hire people to work for him that are truly qualified and gifted must be questioned. Sherman was a coup and is an example of McNair spending good money on assistants, but that relationship didn't last too long. Whether or not Sherman would have stayed as OC for top money will never be known but McNair wasn't about to punk a significant portion of his fanbase by keeping Sherman away from college station.

One of the Ryan boys should be our defensive coordinator, is all i am saying. They are out there, they are able to be hired without paying draftpick compensation, and they would be huge upgrades over Richard 'No Sack' Smith. you have to act fast in regards to coaching and it seems like they are 'standing pat' and that is unacceptable and puts McNair in a cheap light and Kubiak better be held accountable next year if the same defense shows up next year and we have the same results as this year. Things have to change and it starts up top for the defense, Richard Smith. The guy just sucks.

Richard Smith shoudl already be unemployed, one of the Ryans should already be meeting with Texans leadership, and Andre Davis should already be talking terms with Texans brass as well. That would show that McNair isn't afraid to pay the piper. If we dont spend the bread and resign some of our 'temp' guys we are going to be right back where we started from. I am sorry but I just don't like Bob and I think his involvement in the franchise has retarded the development greatly. Now that he seems to be shutting his mouth and just cutting checks, things are progressing, albeit slowly.
Wow! Seriously? That's your take on the owner of our team? Where do you get your information from? Do you know the extent of his involvment in the day to day operations of the franchise? How are you certain that he doesn't want to spend money for a capable coaching staff? I find it hard to believe that an owner would shell out that kind of cheese and then be suffice to have a mediocre team on the field because he won't "pony up" the cash. Every team owner knows that by bringing in fans and going to the post season will push your revenue through the roof. I'm sure Bob spends plenty of money where it's needed. Next time you post, bring the facts with statements like those, not just your biased opinion.
Old 01-02-2008   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Wow! Seriously? That's your take on the owner of our team? Where do you get your information from? Do you know the extent of his involvment in the day to day operations of the franchise? How are you certain that he doesn't want to spend money for a capable coaching staff? I find it hard to believe that an owner would shell out that kind of cheese and then be suffice to have a mediocre team on the field because he won't "pony up" the cash. Every team owner knows that by bringing in fans and going to the post season will push your revenue through the roof. I'm sure Bob spends plenty of money where it's needed. Next time you post, bring the facts with statements like those, not just your biased opinion.
McNair's revenue doesnt rely on fans buying tickets. The tickets are already bought. The ad revenue already generated. The TV deal already signed. granted, if the fans don't show up to the game he loses some gameday money (concessions and souvenirs) but nothing else. McNair is still going through the honeymoon stage here in Houston. He has nothing to worry about.

Richard Smith sucks. There are more qualified people out there. They arent being hired. Why? Is it because McNair is busy or doesnt have the time. No, its because he is too niiiiice and because he already has someone signed....who frankly, sucks. translation: too nice and too cheap

does anyone actually think that Richard Smith is our best option? if he is not THEN WHY ISNT ANYONE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT? If it helps the team, get the damn deal done, and if you are too cheap or too niiiice to do it, then you are in the wrong business.

I am just seriously worried that Richard Smith is coming back in '08. It is frightening me. I am going to hope for the best and hope the guy gets fired and I will look to last offseason when many thought Carr was coming back for 07 only to be blessed by him being released like trash later that offseason. hopefully the same thing will happen but in coaching you cant wait or you lose. Just ask Kubiak when he tried to assemble a staff late. it is impossible and then you are locked into and choosing from 2nd rate coaches (such as Richard Smith).

FIRE RICHARD NOW!
Old 01-02-2008   #20
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

i honestly don't want any part of martz or billick. next.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read