Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-04-2008   #41
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 free agency - your picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
What's the official status on DROB....isn't he a FA, or is he already resigned??
He's signed through 2008. So, next year is his contract year and he's probably going to miss most of it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Of the three need positions that he listed, running back has the shortest learning curve. I think we are going to try to sign a corner back in free agency, draft a running back in the first round, and draft a OT in the 3rd round. We might also try to sign a OT in free agency, but I don't think we will go after anyone big. I think Kubiak is going to now implement his ZBS line and wants to get his kind of guys in there.
Any idea what LT is available in free agency? I do not know of any that would be worth a shot. In third, Mike McGlynn 6'5"318lbs 5.25 Pittsburgh and U.Texas Tony Hills 6'6" 305lbs 5.16 are projected as 3rd round but McGlynn might already be gone by our pick. That is why I'd go LT in 1st & pick up RB in 3rd. I see more RBs projected lower that could benefit team. If a trade getting a 2nd is done, then I'd be ok with an RB in first. I agree that RB,LT and CB are our biggest needs and to cover the three with best three players can get= LT, RB and CB in FA or lower round of draft.
Old 01-04-2008   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He provides versatility Cb./S (a good backup 4th corner type). He should provide cheap depth.
I agree. Faggins appears to be shell shocked and has a more tenuous hold on a roster spot.
Old 01-04-2008   #44
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Any idea what LT is available in free agency? I do not know of any that would be worth a shot. In third, Mike McGlynn 6'5"318lbs 5.25 Pittsburgh and U.Texas Tony Hills 6'6" 305lbs 5.16 are projected as 3rd round but McGlynn might already be gone by our pick. That is why I'd go LT in 1st & pick up RB in 3rd. I see more RBs projected lower that could benefit team. If a trade getting a 2nd is done, then I'd be ok with an RB in first. I agree that RB,LT and CB are our biggest needs and to cover the three with best three players can get= LT, RB and CB in FA or lower round of draft.
I have no idea which linemen they would go after, I just have a feeling it won't be a big name like Faneca. Probably more depth with potential players like Butler, Black, and the new center we just picked up.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #45
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Of the three need positions that he listed, running back has the shortest learning curve. I think we are going to try to sign a corner back in free agency, draft a running back in the first round, and draft a OT in the 3rd round. We might also try to sign a OT in free agency, but I don't think we will go after anyone big. I think Kubiak is going to now implement his ZBS line and wants to get his kind of guys in there.
I want us to draft a O-LT in the 1st rd. Look @ the teams in the playoffs & their O-LT's Indy (Ugoh 2nd) S.D. (Mc Neil 2nd) Sea.(Jones 1st) N.E.(Light 2nd) Jac. (Barnes 2nd) Dal. (Adams 2nd). I hope everyone sees the value of drafting a O-LT in rounds 1or 2.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I have no idea which linemen they would go after, I just have a feeling it won't be a big name like Faneca. Probably more depth with potential players like Butler, Black, and the new center we just picked up.
Faneca will be a high priced guard. No LT will be there. All I can say for Jordan Black is he knows the system and did not get cut during the season. For me the only option of any measurement is a CB in Free Agency.
Old 01-04-2008   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ditto

the free agency process is going to be exciting who the Texans target, will they go after big dollar, above average players @ positions of need? CB/OT would require a substantial investment possibly including overpaying or under the radar gems (what I expect of Rick Smith)? If Rick does compete for the servies of the best UFA's he'll want a player coming into his prime with a long solid career still ahead. I would be elated with Carolina UFA Jordan Gross who can guard or tackle. At CB (wishfull thinking) sign Nnamdi Asomugha away from the Raiders.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2008   #48
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Asomugha is my top CB due to his age and potential as a lockdown CB. Nobody wants to throw his way.

I wouldn't touch Samuel, he's getting a truckload of money that can be better served elsewhere.

I'm interested in Trufant, he's battle tested having to face the WRs in Arizona and St. Louis 2x a year respectively and should be able to hold his own against whoever he's lined up against the Colts and shouldn't have a problem with any of the Titans or Jags WRs.

Unfortunately due to the fact these guys are gonna get tons of money I think we're gonna end up signing a bandaid like Florance and hope that DRob can make a full recovery while we spread our cap money out across the board.

IMO though I think we have the room to spare to make a splash with a Asomugha or Trufant signing. Even if DRob comes back 100% we still need 3 quality CBs to beat the Colts and these 2 guys would also help improve our takeaway #s, something else we need to improve to win in the AFC South.
Old 01-04-2008   #49
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
...I think we're gonna end up signing a bandaid like Florance and hope that DRob can make a full recovery while we spread our cap money out across the board.
Florence? The Texans aren't going to sign the guy who gave their QB a cheap shot.

I think you can forget the high priced CBs. The Texans don't know if Dunta will or won't make a comeback. The best avenue is to take a vet CB and sign him to a short contract with incentives. There may be some corners who aren't FA's now, but could be on the market due to salary cap cuts. The two CBs in KC, Law & Surtain, come to mind.
Old 01-04-2008   #50
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Florence? The Texans aren't going to sign the guy who gave their QB a cheap shot.

I think you can forget the high priced CBs. The Texans don't know if Dunta will or won't make a comeback. The best avenue is to take a vet CB and sign him to a short contract with incentives. There may be some corners who aren't FA's now, but could be on the market due to salary cap cuts. The two CBs in KC, Law & Surtain, come to mind.
I said a CB LIKE Florance...similar ratings and what-not...
Old 01-04-2008   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

We need to bring Echemandu back.

Then we need to have him talk to his cousin and convince him to come here and join him.

Asomugha is his cousin. (Or something like that.)
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008   #52
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

nnamdi would be 1st on my list along with suggs. draft phillips. u don't want a franchise end that hasn't had more than 8 sacks on a terrible defense. I like kearse after he gets cut for a reduced rate. maybe mccallister from ravens get cut , sign hin and paly him at saefty. what do u guys think about boulware moving back to lb? that was his natural position in college. I aslo like the lb from virgiani tech. the defense still needs to become stout against the run and get pressure. a guy that also should be better this yr, is mike doss formwely of the colts. he can come in and play safety along with demps or phillips. I thought they should have drafted tenard jackson in the 5th last yr.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #53
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

with all the talk around briggs...is he a Strong OLB or Weak OLB......i feel personally that M. Greenwood, hurt us this yr-how many times are we going to allow him get burned by D. Clark
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Even with Dunta in the line-up, we are weak at the CB position.

We need to be looking at Corners in FA, and the draft. I'd take Florence(this is business), Trufant, or Asomugha, and still look to draft a corner in the first.

Then, I'd try to get Javon Walker... yeah, Javon Walker.
Old 01-06-2008   #55
Rock N Randy
Legend

Rep Power: 5405 Rock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respectedRock N Randy is a quality contributor and well respected

Best talent for ur buck. There both some what young still and are good cover corners.

Trufant or Asomugha

I would like us to go after Jared Allen...I know we have put alot in the DLine but im not happy with Anthony Weaver. He has a huge contract $$$ and i would rather pay someone else hat kind of money that actually produces.

It would be nice to se these players in a Texans uni
Terrell Suggs, Karlos Dansby, Paul Spicer

My FA sleepers that i would like to see the texans try out...
OG Elton Brown RFA Arizona Cardinals
DL Mike Rucker UFA Carolina Panthers
Rock N Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #56
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N Randy View Post
Best talent for ur buck. There both some what young still and are good cover corners.

Trufant or Asomugha

I would like us to go after Jared Allen...I know we have put alot in the DLine but im not happy with Anthony Weaver. He has a huge contract $$$ and i would rather pay someone else hat kind of money that actually produces.

It would be nice to se these players in a Texans uni
Terrell Suggs, Karlos Dansby, Paul Spicer

My FA sleepers that i would like to see the texans try out...
OG Elton Brown RFA Arizona Cardinals
DL Mike Rucker UFA Carolina Panthers

I'd really like Dansby. He can play strong or weakside linebacker and could also play RDE on passing downs. He is a definite playmaker at the linebacker position.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008   #57
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I forgot about Dansby, he's a playmaker. That's what Kubes & RS said they were looking for. He will be cheaper than Briggs
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #58
badboy
Site Contributor

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20834.html
Info on Oakland CB that recently opted out. He was making less than $1million, much lower than I would have guessed. A huge bump to $4-5m first year of a new contract maybe be ok with him and reasonable for Texans. That would leave $20m or so(if Mario option exercised as Kubes indicated) and could make Briggs a possibility.
Old 01-07-2008   #59
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

What about Travelle Wharton? He is young, good size, and went to South Carolina.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/20834.html
Info on Oakland CB that recently opted out. He was making less than $1million, much lower than I would have guessed. A huge bump to $4-5m first year of a new contract maybe be ok with him and reasonable for Texans. That would leave $20m or so(if Mario option exercised as Kubes indicated) and could make Briggs a possibility.
Typically, even on big deals, the cap hit isn't too bad in the 1st couple years. For example Clements' huge contract only had a base salary of $1.1 mil in 2007. The first two years of Dwight Freeney's contract, the base salaries are $750k. Players don't mind the low initial salaries because they just got handed a truckload of cash as signing or roster bonuses.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read