Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2008   #21
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 936 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2008 free agency - your picks

Are we going to re-sign Andre Davis?
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #22
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATRAIN View Post
Are we going to re-sign Andre Davis?
As long as his agent doesn't have a mask on and the pistol drawn, I'd say that's a prety safe bet. Offenvise palymakers is no longer a major need. They've got them. Kubiak is still looking for his Terrel Davis.
Old 01-02-2008   #23
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Briggs is going to be a 49er. Nolan tried trading for him this year and almost got the deal done but they didn't get it done in time or something along those lines. Nolan tried the same thing with Clements last year, and we all know that when he wants a FA, he's going to get him.

But here's a general list of the best players set to be FA's:
  • Terrell Suggs
  • Albert Haynesworth
  • Michael Boley
  • Lance Briggs
  • Gibril Wilson
  • Eugene Wilson
  • Flozell Adams
  • Justin Smiley
  • Justin Smith
  • Asante Samuel
  • Corey Williams
  • Jared Allen

A lot of those guys will probably be resigned, but so far it looks like it could be a pretty good FA class. Especially if some big name WRs like Roy Williams or Chad Johnson are cut.
SF49erFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #24
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF49erFaithful View Post
Briggs is going to be a 49er. Nolan tried trading for him this year and almost got the deal done but they didn't get it done in time or something along those lines. Nolan tried the same thing with Clements last year, and we all know that when he wants a FA, he's going to get him.

But here's a general list of the best players set to be FA's:
  • Terrell Suggs
  • Albert Haynesworth
  • Michael Boley
  • Lance Briggs
  • Gibril Wilson
  • Eugene Wilson
  • Flozell Adams
  • Justin Smiley
  • Justin Smith
  • Asante Samuel
  • Corey Williams
  • Jared Allen

A lot of those guys will probably be resigned, but so far it looks like it could be a pretty good FA class. Especially if some big name WRs like Roy Williams or Chad Johnson are cut.

You know Haynesworth and Flozell will be Franchised though. I wouldn't mind some of those others though....especially Samuel.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #25
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

A couple weeks ago, i was thinking RB would be free-agented, only because there are a lot of FA running backs with bonified pedigrees out there on the market. But the stuff I'm reading in the chronicle has Kubiak saying he wants a young, healthy running back. I may be reading too much, and it's only about day three of the offseason, but if that is the goal then I think their goal is to draft a running back in the first and rotate him in with Dayne and Green.

That leaves cornerbacks and safeties for FA. Samuel is the easy pick. I need to hear more to give a better guesstimation of who the Texans might FA for a cornerback/safety.

Personally, I think they've got it backwards. Get the RB in FA and draft the safety/CB.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #26
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Since this is make believe I am going to pull out my Maddenesk GM play and pick up the following FA's:

Haynsworth
Briggs
Samuels
Jarred
and then make a deal for Chad Johnson.

Can you say division winners?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #27
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I doubt the Bengals will be able to do anything but franchise Justin Smith (which I doubt they will do). He would be expensive but he has a good motor and might be a good yin to Mario's yang. I think Samuels is just going to be too much money on the open market.

The big question is whether or not the Titans and Bills spend their cap money this offseason. If they do, it could be slim pickens around the FA waters. Both owners are cheapskates so they will probably just pocket the money like they did last year.
Old 01-02-2008   #28
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Samuel is a system CB, so no thanks (Jason David says hello)
Fargas has been an injury prone scrub, and was next to worthless except his contract year
Turner= Chargers O-Line and Neal

Suggs would be the best "Big Name" because he can fix both the OLB and pass rushing DE holes
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #29
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
A couple weeks ago, i was thinking RB would be free-agented, only because there are a lot of FA running backs with bonified pedigrees out there on the market. But the stuff I'm reading in the chronicle has Kubiak saying he wants a young, healthy running back. I may be reading too much, and it's only about day three of the offseason, but if that is the goal then I think their goal is to draft a running back in the first and rotate him in with Dayne and Green.

That leaves cornerbacks and safeties for FA. Samuel is the easy pick. I need to hear more to give a better guesstimation of who the Texans might FA for a cornerback/safety.

Personally, I think they've got it backwards. Get the RB in FA and draft the safety/CB.
No, I think that pretty much you have it backwards. RB's typically can play at a high level straight out of college, and the exact opposite is typically true of safties in particular and to a bit lesser degree CB. Getting a vet CB IMO should be a priority and Florence fron San Diego fits that bill without breaking the bank. As far as safties are concerned I don't really like any of the FA's that are available. JMO.

Stewart or Mendenhall in the 1st, so we wont have to worry about RB in FA. I mean if we are going to take a chance on a RB I would rather it be someone we drafted. We really dont know crap about Michael Turner, and I think he is a FA nightmare waiting to happen. And I think Fargas is just a guy and we have a roster full of those.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would rather sign a CB or Safty than a RB in FA. Its so hit or miss with RB that you dont want to throw that much money in a big dolla FA. Its like oline, build through the draft. I like the word jumble in Oakland at CB a little better than Samuels(Ashko;lbiouub).
Old 01-03-2008   #31
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I would rather sign a CB or Safty than a RB in FA. Its so hit or miss with RB that you dont want to throw that much money in a big dolla FA. Its like oline, build through the draft. I like the word jumble in Oakland at CB a little better than Samuels(Ashko;lbiouub).
I can agree with this. Additionally, the RB position has been said to be one of the easier to learn when making the transition into the NFL. Including the fact that a RB's NFL life is usually shorter than most other positions.

I still don't think we'll use our #1 on a RB, but possibly a #3.
Old 01-03-2008   #32
whiskeyrbl

Terrel Suggs
Randall Gay
Travelle Wharton
Gibril Wilson
Old 01-03-2008   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I can agree with this. Additionally, the RB position has been said to be one of the easier to learn when making the transition into the NFL. Including the fact that a RB's NFL life is usually shorter than most other positions.

I still don't think we'll use our #1 on a RB, but possibly a #3.
Yeah, its been kinda proven that you can get quality backs in the later rounds. More so than say LT.
Old 01-03-2008   #34
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Free agents I would like them to look @.
DE's Justin Smith, Paul Spicer
CB's Marcus Trufant, Drayton Florence
Safties Gibril Wilson, Eugene Wilson
LB's Micheal Boley

If we could sign 3 of these guys we could draft our LT. RB & C.
My prefrence of players we could sign & stay under the cap would be Trufant, G.Wilson & Spicer
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

We also need to resign Will Demps, A. Davis, Clark & Hutchins.
Old 01-03-2008   #36
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Even the wolf in New England has to have front line corners Lork, doesn't he ?

Every time I post he is going to move down with dallas every one acts like I'm outta my mind. He can't stand pat. Static is death in the NFL.
New England never over-pays players. Their have the mentality that they can win without you and you are replaceable (except Brady). Happened with Deon Branch.
Old 01-04-2008   #37
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Why do we need to re sign Hutchins? If we go after a CB in free agency he becomes instantly expendable. He didnt do anything that makes me think he is a must sign guy. I agree with the rest of those guys though.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #38
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
What's the official status on DROB....isn't he a FA, or is he already resigned??
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #39
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Of the three need positions that he listed, running back has the shortest learning curve. I think we are going to try to sign a corner back in free agency, draft a running back in the first round, and draft a OT in the 3rd round. We might also try to sign a OT in free agency, but I don't think we will go after anyone big. I think Kubiak is going to now implement his ZBS line and wants to get his kind of guys in there.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008   #40
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Why do we need to re sign Hutchins? If we go after a CB in free agency he becomes instantly expendable. He didnt do anything that makes me think he is a must sign guy. I agree with the rest of those guys though.
He provides versatility Cb./S (a good backup 4th corner type). He should provide cheap depth.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read