Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2008   #21
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are you all satisfied with an 8-8 season?

As a fan, I'm just very thankful and happy that we have a team. And, Bud Adams has nothing to do with it.
I know a lot of Raider fans who would gladly trade records with us. Yes, I do brag when I'm around them.
I do see improvement with Kube at the helm. That's what we were looking for. I feel very optimistic about 2008.
You know, when we finally do win the Superbowl, we will all look back and say that we had earned it. We're still youngsters in this league. We will get there.
Old 01-01-2008   #22
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Agree I'm very happy about 08.
Old 01-01-2008   #23
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

If I was satisfied with mediocre, I'd at least cut my ticket spending from $50 to $9 and see Dewey Cox again.

We had a couple of really bad games that we paid to watch this year (the first three quarters of the Titans game and all of the Dolphins game). And the vast majority of away games we watched on TV were positively painful.

I can't possibly be satisfied. I watch a competitive sport for entertainment, and I expect the team I invest my time and money in to be winners. The team shouldn't expect any less, and neither should the fans.

So - no.
Old 01-01-2008   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Playoffs In 08 Baby.
Old 01-01-2008   #25
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I am not happy with 8-8, but I'm not so disappointed as to be gloom and doom. The Atlanta loss sticks in my craw badly. There is/was no excuse to lose that game at all. The others ..... well, injuries hurt us, mostly. The offensive line did a better job, but the QBs made them look better. It's satisfying that most fans seem to be finally acknowledging the fact that we need to draft a LT and maybe a C. If we get our LT this year, then we'll have our bookends for years to come, and only good things can happen from there.
Old 01-01-2008   #26
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Taking everything into consideration, I would say that I am thrilled to be at 8-8. 17 or so people on IR is usually the nail in the coffin for most teams. However, a lot of subpar and mediocre stepped up and improved their game and helped the Texans come out as non-losers for the first time in franchise history. It's been an up and down season and there are a lot of holes to fill and questions to answer before next season. However, on the whole, it was a great year to be a Texans fan.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #27
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiedopie View Post

By the way did you know 90% of all inmates currently in jail are cowboy fans?
I'm not even going to touch this one...
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2008   #28
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, that Atlanta game was brutal. We should have won that one no doubt. We still wouldn't be in the playoffs, but a 9-7 record would have been awesome. 8-8 still isn't too bad.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #29
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Yeah, that Atlanta game was brutal. We should have won that one no doubt. We still wouldn't be in the playoffs, but a 9-7 record would have been awesome. 8-8 still isn't too bad.
Agree.
Old 01-01-2008   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm happy with 8-8 because we are no longer losers. Looking back at the season, in hindsight we could have gone 10-6 quite easily.

I think we are only a couple of players away from sneaking into the playoffs. However, getting past either (or both) Indy and the Pats to get to the Super Bowl, well, don't be holding your breath for that anytime soon.

But I'm good. Thinks are looking up. We are in the last phases of Kubes rebuilding/reworking and with a few more players and a (good) new OC we could really make some waves next year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

I'm looking forward to 10-6 next season.
Old 01-02-2008   #32
santo
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58665 santo is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respectedsanto is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not satisfied.

Happy that they got to 8-8, but I was expecting them to go 11-5.

They lost to 3 teams I thought they should have beat:

Cleveland
Atalanta
Tennessee
Old 01-02-2008   #33
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I am not happy with 8-8, but I'm not so disappointed as to be gloom and doom. The Atlanta loss sticks in my craw badly. There is/was no excuse to lose that game at all. The others ..... well, injuries hurt us, mostly. The offensive line did a better job, but the QBs made them look better. It's satisfying that most fans seem to be finally acknowledging the fact that we need to draft a LT and maybe a C. If we get our LT this year, then we'll have our bookends for years to come, and only good things can happen from there.
Add another CB & FS and you've summed up my feelings pretty well. Given the injuries (and the lineup changes that result from it), 8-8 is pretty good...considering our lack of depth to begin with.
Old 01-02-2008   #34
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
If I was satisfied with mediocre, I'd at least cut my ticket spending from $50 to $9 and see Dewey Cox again.

We had a couple of really bad games that we paid to watch this year (the first three quarters of the Titans game and all of the Dolphins game). And the vast majority of away games we watched on TV were positively painful.

I can't possibly be satisfied. I watch a competitive sport for entertainment, and I expect the team I invest my time and money in to be winners. The team shouldn't expect any less, and neither should the fans.

So - no.
i have the same mentality, but you gotta take progress where you can get it. our old regime took away 5 years of my life away essentially... i think this one is going in the right direction. it takes time, man. next season, however, my expectations will be just as high as yours, and that's playoffs.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #35
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I'm not satisfied.

Cleveland
Atalanta
Tennessee
We should definetly should have won these three games and been 11-5 and in the playoffs.
Old 01-02-2008   #36
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Satisfied is eating a Snickers bar.

While my optimism for the future has been restored, 8-8 means we are a mediocre team. And mediocrity is not something that is all that satisfying to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Until we're winners, no I am not satisfied.

Is it a step in the right direction? Of course.

Here's to a better 2008 season.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Like I said STAY HEALTHY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I think of it this way. Where we could have been if it weren't for all the injuries?
I think injuries have played a part, but more important, like axman40 mentioned, our turnovers are what kept us from obtaining a winning season.

The Texans gave away 150 points off of 38 turnovers this season. That is just unacceptable, and not very satisfying. They've got to minimize dumb mistakes, and most turnovers are just plain dumb mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
Let's see we lead the league with players on IR. Second worst in turnover ratio -13 , thanks to Ravens for being -17!
If we can hold onto the ball next year we a real chance of a winning record. Having so many people on IR gives a better idea of which our back ups can step into the starting lineup and contribute.
Yes I am happy with 8-8 this year but want more W's next year!
You stole my thunder, but thought your post was worth repeating.

I really think this could have been a winning season, if just by one game, if we had protected the ball better. We gave it up in too many compromising field positions, often asking our defense to protect short fields several times within games. The better defenses in the league often benefit from having offenses that can consistently sustain 7-10 minute drives, which allows the D to rest and be ready for the 4rth quarter.
Old 01-02-2008   #37
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63823 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
I'm not satisfied.

Cleveland
Atalanta
Tennessee
Tennessee maybe. Atlanta for sure.

I don't consider the Browns a "should have won". The Browns came out with an intensity that the Texans couldn't, or wouldn't, match. Both teams had the same amount to play for - the Texans should learn something from that game.

================================

On the flip side, it shouldn't have taken a record breaking day by Kris Brown to beat Miami. They "stole" a home field win against the worst team in the league on that one.
Old 01-02-2008   #38
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 70160 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Satisfied? I would have to say no.

I'm pleased that they finally get to .500 and that's now behind us. I'm excited that the future looks brighter, but .500 should have happened 3 years ago. This team should've been in the playoffs through 6 seasons.

Not satisfied but considering the circumstances, I'll take it.

It's time in '09 (next year's playoffs will be in January 2009)

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #39
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

In 2008 I resolve NOT to steal Double Barrel's thunder because it makes him grumpy!
Old 01-02-2008   #40
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Are you all satisfied with an 8-8 season?
it'll make our NFL Yearbook episode air in a more favorable time slot. that soothes the ego, no?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read