Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 12-31-2007   #1
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84
Default Hey fellow Bullpen members

Does this seem to rub you the wrong way, or is it just me?

Quote:
GRIDIRON TEXAS

THE BIRTHPLACE OF THE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE

Welcome to the LOUDEST place in Reliant Stadium!

Gridiron, TX is home to 26,026 of the Texans' most dedicated fans. It's loud. It's rowdy. It's the birthplace of the HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE.
http://www.houstontexans.com/fanzone...2007-08-04.asp
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Hey fellow Bullpen members

I posted this a long time ago, and was berated by about everyone not in the Bullpen for making such a post.

But truth is, it's just marketing to sell more PSL's....
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #3
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey fellow Bullpen members

I could care less if people attack me for this post. I find the whole idea insulting to the Bullpen and the members/psl holders that have been there since day one.

Yeah, I know it's a ploy to sell tickets...but lets not disrespect the original section that started all of the main traditions. Personally, I feel as if it's a slap in the face...and so did everyone else that sits around us.
Old 12-31-2007   #4
Texan_Lee
Lost for now...

Rep Power: 17 Texan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to Texan_Lee Send a message via MSN to Texan_Lee

I never paid much attention to this, but to me, it kind of makes one feel like they are trying to push the Bull Pen out of the way...

I understnad there are other areas of the stadium that are jealous of us because we are the Bull Pen, but they can too if the Texans changed out these corporate and auctioned off seats for the real fans who make it to every game (and arrive at the start and leave at the end of every game).

This does disturb me a bit as well, Daunte...

Let's just remember, we have been here since the beginning, and most of us will always be the "Original Bull Pen Members - Established 2002"
Go Texans!!! Go Bull Pen!!!
Section 116 - Row D
Texan_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I posted this a long time ago, and was berated by about everyone not in the Bullpen for making such a post.

But truth is, it's just marketing to sell more PSL's....
No offense taken, and no offense meant when I say they've used the idea for the Bull Pen for the same reasons. Marketing has always been a primary driving force for this franchise.

Quote:
GRIDIRON TEXAS

THE BIRTHPLACE OF THE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE

Welcome to the LOUDEST place in Reliant Stadium!

Gridiron, TX is home to 26,026 of the Texans' most dedicated fans. It's loud. It's rowdy. It's the birthplace of the HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE.
I've ribbed back and forth with y'all about it, but I find the whole thing silly.

I'm not sure what 'main traditions' you folks have claimed to have started, as I've been there since 19-10, too. I believe that the overwhelming majority of "traditions" with this franchise are started by the marketing department. I'm not trying to take anything away from the Bull Pen, but I'm not sure what traditions us goat herders know about that started down there.

To be honest, the Texans FO could really give a crap about traditions, IMO. We have six different uniform combos for eight games. There is certainly no consistency when it comes to this stuff. "Buy More Texans Stuff" is more of our motto than anything.

And if they really wanted the Bull Pen to be like the Dawg Pound or Black Hole, then they would have tried to sell those tickets to diehard Texans fanatics. Instead, they sold out to corporate sponsors, so the 'hardcore' section is diluted down to about one third of the section, as mentioned by SheTexan. It does not seem to me that you are best served by the Texans FO's agenda, which is solely about making money.

We've never really had a "homefield advantage", so it was always kinda' goofy that they claimed any part of the stadium is the "birthplace" of it.

p.s. Did you see the video montage for "Fan Appreciation Day"? It clearly showed the Bull Pen taking very much a part of THE WAVE!
Old 12-31-2007   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
... the original section that started all of the main traditions.
Such as ....?
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #7
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
Such as ....?
Traditions:

Quote:
Many traditions have started in the Bull Pen. Among them are:

**Marching into the stadium with the Pep Band prior to the game starting.
Holding up Giant Texans Jerseys while the visiting team players are announced.
Shouting Texans players last names during our team announcements.
**Cheering Houston...Texans! after player announcements.
Turning their backs on the opposing team after they score.
Gathering as a group for tailgating in the Blue Lot and conducting the Bull Pen Toast every game.
**Traveling to see the Texans play on the road as a group.
**Soon to come are Bull Pen Pubs for Bull Pen Game Watching parties for away games at a sponsored bar with drink specials for Bull Pen members only!
** I think everyone marches in when the feel like it.

** Half the stadium does this anyways

** Um, sometimes

** Yeah, not since 2004.

http://www.houstontexans.com/community/BullPen.asp
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2007   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pure speculation - did the Bullpen committee start in 2002? Did they actually help brainstorm and/or implement things like the big jerseys, "First Down," announcing players last names, and the other stuff listed on the web?
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 12-31-2007   #9
TEXANS84

Quote:
Pure speculation - did the Bullpen committee start in 2002? Did they actually help brainstorm and/or implement things like the big jerseys, "First Down," announcing players last names, and the other stuff listed on the web?
I dont remember the "first down" thing coming along until the 2006 season.
Old 12-31-2007   #10
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:

Drink specials for Bullpen members, man I missed out!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 12-31-2007   #11
Baga21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Lee View Post
I understnad there are other areas of the stadium that are jealous of us because we are the Bull Pen
What?? That's funny. I was real jealous watching you guys sweat out them beers yesterday.
Baga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #12
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I know it's a ploy to sell tickets...but lets not disrespect the original section that started all of the main traditions.
Quote:
Many traditions have started in the Bull Pen. Among them are:

Quote:
**Marching into the stadium with the Pep Band prior to the game starting.
Holding up Giant Texans Jerseys while the visiting team players are announced.
Shouting Texans players last names during our team announcements.
**Cheering Houston...Texans! after player announcements.
Turning their backs on the opposing team after they score.
Gathering as a group for tailgating in the Blue Lot and conducting the Bull Pen Toast every game.
**Traveling to see the Texans play on the road as a group.
**Soon to come are Bull Pen Pubs for Bull Pen Game Watching parties for away games at a sponsored bar with drink specials for Bull Pen members only!
I guess by "main traditions" you really mean Bull Pen/Blue Crew traditions.

If you filter everything the Texans FO does through a marketing perspective, you will find that all of this makes sense and you will not get your blood pressure up.

p.s. shouting the last names of players was started by the marketing department and advertised through the jumbotron, IIRC.
Old 12-31-2007   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep, just ask Sandy....she was a committee member.
Old 12-31-2007   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm staying out of this discussion. Just not worth the nasty sarcasm that will follow any comment.

I'll take my complaints to the Texans!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #15
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont remember the "first down" thing coming along until the 2006 season.
The first down thing is something that is and was done at many stadiums in the NFL. I know the panthers were doing it long before the texans played their "first down".
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #16
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if the bullpen is the loudest section in the stadium...all i can hear is the people in my section. I really don't pay a lot of attention to the bullpen because the band and the cheerleaders and the players are who i come to see. lol. Now I know i will catch flack for this next comment but here goes. The bullpen thing was pure marketing at its best to get people to buy the worst seats in da house when that roof is opened. I wouldn't want to brave that sun and must give props to the bullpen peeps for doing it.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #17
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh boy...I got my oar to stir this juicy pot!!

My thought is this...if the Bullpen wants to be special, then do something special. I don't see anything spectacular coming from down there.
To the guy in the Eagles jersey who was leading the cheering of 624 last week... the Bullpen needs you! You were doing a great (sloshed, but great) job of getting your section up and rocking!

Will y'all take an Eagles fan to show you the ropes down in your quieter section?

Signed,
Goat Herder of the NEZ (and loving it!)

BTW, they were showing us lots of love this last game. We were in the section/row that got the way cool binoculars and were on the Jumbotron 3 times I think. I feel so special, but a bit guilty of taking face time from 116 and 117.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008   #18
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2837 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl View Post
Oh boy...I got my oar to stir this juicy pot!!

My thought is this...if the Bullpen wants to be special, then do something special. I don't see anything spectacular coming from down there.
To the guy in the Eagles jersey who was leading the cheering of 624 last week... the Bullpen needs you! You were doing a great (sloshed, but great) job of getting your section up and rocking!

Will y'all take an Eagles fan to show you the ropes down in your quieter section?

Signed,
Goat Herder of the NEZ (and loving it!)

BTW, they were showing us lots of love this last game. We were in the section/row that got the way cool binoculars and were on the Jumbotron 3 times I think. I feel so special, but a bit guilty of taking face time from 116 and 117.
They were actually laughing at you guys. You all had chili all over your non-battle red jerseys.
Old 01-01-2008   #19
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1858 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are a little sensitive about the whole thing. It's no big deal. Just go to the games and cheer our boys to victory and have a good time. That is what everyone else in the stadium is doing. You guys should be happy that you are on the jumbotron the majority of the time. I see your mugs on commercials for channel 13 and you guys put together watch parties for fans. It's all good.

My buddies and I in section 522 started a "Move the Chains" chant after a first down. Two years ago it started out being us four guys on row D. We would wear our wigs and gloves and people would look at us like aliens. I would say now most of the section does it and I talk to fans in sections around us that do it. It is a lot of fun and everyone has a good time. I even see people bringing gloves.

I would love to have the entire stadium do it one day. I wouldn't be upset that I'm not getting recognized on the Texans website. My friends and I in section 522 would know where it originated from and that would be fine by me.

PEACE OUT
Old 01-01-2008   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't know what to say to anyone, other than WHY the nasty sarcasm?? We are all TEXAN fans and our focus should be supporting our football team, not lashing out at each other. The Bullpen is FUN, the Gridiron section is FUN, all the goat herder sections are FUN, the SEZ is FUN, IF you love and want to support your football team. WHO the hell cares where you sit!! I've been all over that stadium, and I see great fans having a good time in every section. Just show up, have a winning attitude, raise your voice for your team, and the good times will roll.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read