Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-31-2007   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 4153 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are they smoking at the "Chronic"le: The General and RJ think Salaam did "great"

Quote:
Going into the offseason, the Texans' biggest need isn't on offense. Left tackle Ephraim Salaam played better than anyone expected. They still need a young left tackle. That could be Charles Spencer, who missed almost all the last two seasons. And they need a young back, perhaps someone taken in the third round.
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/12/t...finish_88.html

NO, NO, NO Damn it! Counting on Charles Spencer to come back and be the LT of the future after missing 2 seasons because of injury is Charley Casserley's moronic way of doing things which led us to our awful records the first 5 years. Bennie Joppru anyone? I was very encouraged to see Rick Smith on last night's Inside the Huddle show on Ch. 13 say that LT, RB, and DBs are our top priorities. Thankfully, he seems to get it.

Quote:
In previous years, these kinds of discussions would begin with the offensive line. No more.

Veterans Mike Flanagan and Ephraim Salaam have been invaluable in the way they've played and in the influence they've had on the younger players. Given the combination of depth and experience, it's an area the Texans will enter the offseason feeling good about.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5412321.html

First off, I hate RJ. I think he sucks hardcore and has no original takes and will moronically bash or defend players, coaches, and the front office with no rhyme or reason.

I guess I shouldn't expect much since the Houston Chronicle is a joke of a newspaper. That being said, didn't these morons watch ES play this year. He and Petey pissed me off more than any other players this year. You could always count on ES to have a minimum of 2 drive killing holding penalties a game and to be absolutely abused by average and above edge rushers.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are they smoking at the "Chronic"le: The General and RJ think Salaam did "gr

I thought Salaam had a great year as expectations were low. He providing quality work and our need for a future LT are exclusive conversations in my opinion.
Old 12-31-2007   #3
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are they smoking at the "Chronic"le: The General and RJ think Salaam did "gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I thought Salaam had a great year as expectations were low. He providing quality work and our need for a future LT are exclusive conversations in my opinion.
I share that opinion. It's like it's ingrained in certain minds that the the left tackle position automatically sucks unless you draft one in the first round. But then when you do, it's instant HOF.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

he did great... for ephraim salaam. he held up- which was surprising for what was thought to be an old, injury prone, sub-par LT
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I agree that Salaam gigantically exceeded everyones expectations for him in 2007, but as you say that was basically because nobody had any for him.
But I heard and saw Kubiak & Rick Smith last night on Bob Allens Channel 13
show, which included the HCs & GMs take on the season and list of personnel
priorities in 2008. Rick Smith led off the list of player needs by saying we
needed to solve the "long-standing LT" problem in Houston, or langauge very close to that.
BTW, "exclusive conversations" ?
And one more thing - they will surely seriously consider Eric W.
this offseason as the future LT.

Last edited by nunusguy; 12-31-2007 at 11:52 AM.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #6
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2007/12/t...finish_88.html

NO, NO, NO Damn it! Counting on Charles Spencer to come back and be the LT of the future after missing 2 seasons because of injury is Charley Casserley's moronic way of doing things which led us to our awful records the first 5 years. Bennie Joppru anyone? I was very encouraged to see Rick Smith on last night's Inside the Huddle show on Ch. 13 say that LT, RB, and DBs are our top priorities. Thankfully, he seems to get it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5412321.html

First off, I hate RJ. I think he sucks hardcore and has no original takes and will moronically bash or defend players, coaches, and the front office with no rhyme or reason.

I guess I shouldn't expect much since the Houston Chronicle is a joke of a newspaper. That being said, didn't these morons watch ES play this year. He and Petey pissed me off more than any other players this year. You could always count on ES to have a minimum of 2 drive killing holding penalties a game and to be absolutely abused by average and above edge rushers.

I hate Dick Justice, but I like McClain.

I like Salaam, not as a starter, but I like him as a role player. I thought under the circumstances Salaam did a hell of a job for us this year and last year. He may not be the most dominating LT in the biz but he has gotten the job done. He is the definition of scrappy. He has played hurt, and gutted it out b/c he knew the team depended on him. He has battled the leagues best DE's all year and I think he did a decent job. The man has heart.

But having said that I do think that he has been beat up all year long. I don't think he has got much left to give.

I also think you would need your noodle examined to think Salaam, McKinney, and Flannagan is our answer for the OLine.

It would not hurt my feeling at all to see us draft nothing but OLineman with our first three picks.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam has done great considering he was brought in here to be a backup. I would have hated to see what would have happened if the Texans had no healthy Salaam for 16 weeks. I'm less fond of Flanagan and frankly surprised he made it to the end.

Last edited by aj.; 12-31-2007 at 02:43 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2007   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure when the word great change in meaning to the same as "pretty good," but no term is more loosely used than "great" in modern culture.

Sorry, about that digression. Salaam was decent to pretty good in play compared to all LTs, but if you count what we expected him to be if he had to start 16 games then a guess great would apply.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #9
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Salaam did better than could be expected. Not good enough to retain the starting job next year, but perhaps good enough to secure a spot on the team as backup.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Salaam did an exceptional job. Now dont get me wrong, we cant go into next season counting on him as our full time LT but the guy did his job. our offensive line did a pretty damn good job all season long with a few exceptions in particular games (titans matchups come to mind)

we have a lot to look forward to next season as long as we dont stand pat with our roster. we need to address needs at Center, Corner, and Safety and OL depth. I love my team and was proud of their performance yesterday in a meaningless game. The defense was still pathetic but that just insures that Richard is unemployed sooner rather than later.

Oh and memo to Rick Smith.....SIGN ANDRE DAVIS NOW!!!!
Old 12-31-2007   #11
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Sacks went from 43 in 2006, to 22 in 2007, almost a 50% reduction. So I guess yeah, maybe they were great considering how low expectations were after the past five seasons.

Last edited by alphajoker; 01-02-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Corrected sacks to 22
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am not sure when the word great change in meaning to the same as "pretty good," but no term is more loosely used than "great" in modern culture.

Sorry, about that digression. Salaam was decent to pretty good in play compared to all LTs, but if you count what we expected him to be if he had to start 16 games then a guess great would apply.
Great would be used within the context of year over year improvement, staying healthy and expectations. Great would not be the operable word for performance against his cohorts around the league.
Old 12-31-2007   #13
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Salaam did alright...he's a nice solid backup for the line and we'll need him for that next year since our line never stays healthy.

But I think a LT for long term would help out this team tremendously. If I remember the hits that took Schaub out it was from his blindside...those are the ones that hurt the most because the QB doesn't expect it and lands wrong. We get a good LT I think Schaub...I honestly think he has the skills to be a top 3 QB in the league. I'm not saying his line was ever a problem, but I think he started to lose trust in the LT position as the games went on. I wish I had taped all of them, IMO it just seemed that way to me.

All good QBs have a blindside protector, as long as this guy isn't getting beat off the snap your QB has a good chance at staying healthy longer. And there was a few times where Salaam was just plain beat right from the go...

Lucky for us there are a lot of good LTs in this draft, I think Sam Baker would help out a lot. He's a 4 year guy, battle-tested, I hope we can grab him.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
If I remember the hits that took Schaub out it was from his blindside...
Schaub's concussion came off an interception return from his right and his shoulder injury came from his right side driving his left shoulder into the ground.
Old 12-31-2007   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, the best LT this franchise has ever had was Chester Pitts. He played LT in college and he was always projected as a move to G. Since the day he was drafted it's been said that he had the chance to be a truly special player at G but honestly, I haven't much seen it. He's never been anything special at LG and since he moved there he plays (at least to my eyes) like he's pissed off that he wasn't given a shot at the full-time LT position.

Since Spencer is probably going to have decreased mobility anyway and since Spencer was a G in college who was projected to move to LT (The exact opposite of Chester Pitts) why not swap them around? Spencer becomes a beast at LG and Chester Pitts goes back to the position he fits best at. I'm thinking win-win situation here.

I was always 100% behind moving Pitts to LG but I think that was a mistake now.
Old 12-31-2007   #16
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Schaub's concussion came off an interception return from his right and his shoulder injury came from his right side driving his left shoulder into the ground.
I know the concussion, but in both Titans game he was hurt. He was hurt like 3 times this year, I'm not counting the concussion that was just a dirty hit. The one you mention I remember now, but the first time we played the Titans.
Old 12-31-2007   #17
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41343 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Damn it Icak your facts are messing with someone's supposition!!
What next video evidence ?
Old 12-31-2007   #18
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40 View Post
Damn it Icak your facts are messing with someone's supposition!!
What next video evidence ?
I still remember some pretty nast blindside hits on schaub, and I remember Salaam getting beat at the snap often. We can't go into next year with Salaam as our starting LT that much is obvious.
Old 12-31-2007   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Ephraim Salaam is resilent as was Flanagan. the common thread to both of them is Mike Sherman who is leaving. this is not encouraging news since I beleive Mike was key in signing them as free agents
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #20
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Salaam was a Denver connection. He's under contract for two more years at a very affordable price. Like Kubiak just said in his presser, the Texans are going to continue to search for that young LT that Eph can help 'bring along' or ideally, back up.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read