Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-02-2008   #41
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you rate the O-line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
22 sacks is what it is. People who refuse to get excited about being 5th best in the sacks department are just victims of this teams history. We've got offensive linemen at various phases of development and of varying quality. That doesn't mean we're lousy, it means we're like most of the teams in the NFL. Sure our scheme hides warts. Every single offense in the NFL is designed to maximize the talent they have on hand. For example just the presence of Peyton Manning hides warts in Indianapolis. He's like the "Anti-Carr" or something. Sorgi comes in and their line looks like warm vomit in an instant. Carolina has a good line unless Mr Mittens comes in to play and then it becomes terrible. Their "scheme" doesn't allow for a QB who holds on to the ball too long. The Colts "scheme" doesn't allow for a QB who can't read a defense and find an open receiver in 1.5 seconds.

When we started the year and all of our linemen were healthy we saw games where the QB was consistently well protected. Were there breakdowns? Of course there were. A couple of times every game somebody got through and wreaked some havoc. That happens to every single QB in the NFL not named Peyton Manning.

Looking at our roster I see the following.

Centers
Greg Eslinger
Chris White
Steve McKinney
Drew Hodgdon
Mike Flanagan

Eslinger I know nothing about but White did ok in very limited action before getting hurt. McKinney was having maybe his best year before he went down. Drew Hodgdon is only here because McKinney and White are on IR and I expect him to maybe get a courtesy invite to camp but not much else. Mike Flanagan wasn't doing too bad by the end of the year but he sure looked scary early on. It's no matter, he's very likely gone following this season. I'll be shocked if he can make this team next year.

Despite McKinney playing well we need to upgrade this position. We need to do it bad enough that I'm starting to buy into all the Eslinger hype/speculation. It's probably wishful thinking but I'd like to believe that he could be the guy.

Guards
Mike Brisiel
Kasey Studdard
Chester Pitts
Dan Stevenson
Scott Jackson
Fred Weary

I didn't think Brisiel did too poorly in his four games. He's a practice squad coach him up kind of guy and he looks like potential quality depth to me and nothing more. Kasey Studdard is probably going to be a little better than that but I don't believe he's got much more ceiling than that. Another quality depth type guy at best. Chester Pitts I thought did an ok job this year and doesn't have any trouble finding a job the day the Texans release him. He's failed to become that potential Pro Bowl LG we were always told he could be. I bought into that but I no longer see the point in that experiment. Pitts is a LT and isn't the same player inside. Scott Jackson is another young guy like Brisiel and Studdard. More quality depth that you might be able to coach-up into something. Fred Weary was having a solid season before breaking his leg and I think we should make every effort to try and hang on to him. He's a very good starting RG.

Tackles
Jordan Black
Rashad Butler
Brandon Frye
Ephraim Salaam
Charles SpencerEric Winston

Jordan Black is more "depth" than "quality depth" and I am still trying to figure out how this guy rates a free agent contract but Seth Wand could be "neck and neck" with Spencer last year to start the season but gets cut. Butler I am very curious about considering he was a Panthers 3rd rounder and was cut a year later. What's the deal there? Did they have Charlie Casserly consulting on that draft? Brandon Frye rounds out this bunch of guys who are all players who intrigue you but who you don't want to see starting if it can be avoided. I don't think there are any answers in this bunch. Maybe a couple of reliable backups between Frye and Butler but Jordan Black was a waste of cap space (little as it might have been). Salaam is a 10 year veteran who should be taking up that backup spot at this point and who hopefully won't make the team by 2009. For now I can't complain about the job he did but I do not want to see him starting next year. He'll likely be a better player than whatever rookie we throw in there at the start of the season but we must fill this LT spot once and for all. Draft one and get on with it. The sooner we start his training the better. Eric Winston is our RT and I'm perfectly happy with that. He is good enough to start for many teams right now and will continue to improve.

We truly need to find a LT and and C. Apart from that we're fine and will continue to improve at the pace we're going. We were not a disaster this year. We did not look bad in pass protection or in run blocking. We finally look like we belong on the field with the other team.
Gotta spread the rep
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008   #42
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I've been saying this for 2 years now.
I've been agreeing with you for two years now!!!!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #43
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The O-line played well at times this year, and poorly at times. The problem is that they weren't inconsistent due to inexperience. They were inconsistent because they just aren't that good. The youngest starter is Winston, and he really was our best lineman all year. Going into TC next year, his would be the only job I'd call safe, if I were the coach. Salaam is what he is - a journeyman backup that can give some quality depth, but shouldn't be a starter. Flanagan is past his prime, and was very up and down over the course of the season. Weary was just OK until he got hurt. Brisiel showed some potential, but in limited playing time. Pitts is never going to be that Pro Bowl caliber guy, but he can be good with good guys around him. All in all, the line did perform much better this year than any year before, but that's like saying they can limbo the St. Louis Arch. Ooooh .....

They gave up QB pressures all year, but our current pair of QBs did a great job of moving in the pocket, thus making them look better than they actually were. We need a left tackle (keep Salaam, though!), and a center. I think the guard spots can be held down by someone from the Spencer/McKinney/Weary/Pitts/Brisiel/Studdard/Frye group, and maybe draft a guard/center prospect in the 5th round this year and/or sign a FA.

I think with this hire today we will see a dramatic shift in the next three seasons. We will go from plodding pile drivers to fleet footed athelets. The only problem is, currently, they only got one of those now. I believe as group we got the best they had to give. But I also believe the pardigm is fixing to shift big time. They will get younger and faster. If your not quick, you'll be out the door.
Old 01-09-2008   #44
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I think with this hire today we will see a dramatic shift in the next three seasons. We will go from plodding pile drivers to fleet footed athelets. The only problem is, currently, they only got one of those now. I believe as group we got the best they had to give. But I also believe the pardigm is fixing to shift big time. They will get younger and faster. If your not quick, you'll be out the door.
You might be right, I dunno. But also, what I read is that at the time, the Broncos were not purely ZBS. So the jury is still out whether we will move strictly in that one direction.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008   #45
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will rate the oline after this season coming up

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read