Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2008   #21
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Z-Report has Texans Season Report Card (Mario A-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
if Dunta breaks up that pass against the Titans, we are in the playoffs. Maybe that was why he got a poor grade. Dunta was imho playing inspired ball before the injury but he did lose a game for us against the Titans and that loss kept us out of the playoffs. I would have given him a B with his main detractions being him burned against the Titans and him not finishing the year.
Wasn't that the play where he had good position and the pass was practically perfect and the WR made an incredible catch?
Old 01-03-2008   #22
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Wasn't that the play where he had good position and the pass was practically perfect and the WR made an incredible catch?
yes it was. he still got burned though. I am a huge Dunta guy and have been forever. Sometimes you can do everything right yet still get burned. My statement was that maybe Lance's less than generous grade for Dunta may have been partially based on that play and his injury (both which could not be blamed on his completely)

Spec, I love Dunta but his man caught that ball and if he makes a play on the ball, we win that game. Was he in position? Yes. Was it a great throw and catch? Yes. Could Dunta have made a better play on the ball? Yes, but he didn't and we lost. It happens to the best of them. I was only trying to figure out why Lance gave Dunta such a low grade because Dunta had been Pro Bowl-level almost all season till the injury.
Old 01-03-2008   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I love Dunta too...., but a 'lock-down' corner he is not (although our best corner).. He had one interception in each of the first two games. (KC & Car.), after that he did not have another the rest of his season (until he went down). He only defended 7 passes (including the two picks) all season (again that is in only 9 games).

Now playing the run, thats a whole other story. He probably is one of the best and more physical corners at playing the run.

C+? Maybe a little too low. However, B- probably more apropos..
Old 01-03-2008   #24
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I love Dunta too...., but a 'lock-down' corner he is not (although our best corner).. He had one interception in each of the first two games. (KC & Car.), after that he did not have another the rest of his season (until he went down). He only defended 7 passes (including the two picks) all season (again that is in only 9 games).

Now playing the run, thats a whole other story. He probably is one of the best and more physical corners at playing the run.

C+? Maybe a little too low. However, B- probably more apropos..
The low statistics could also be indicative of offenses throwing away from him. I remember a game or two where he was basically invisible throughout the game due to Faggins' lack of any coverage whatsoever. I do understand he was burnt on a play or two, but heck, who hasn't been? I think he's an excellent CB.

I can agree with the B-, but willing to bump it up to a B+.

I
Old 01-03-2008   #25
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The low statistics could also be indicative of offenses throwing away from him. I remember a game or two where he was basically invisible throughout the game due to Faggins' lack of any coverage whatsoever. I do understand he was burnt on a play or two, but heck, who hasn't been? I think he's an excellent CB.

I can agree with the B-, but willing to bump it up to a B+.

I
Absolutely. Again he is the best corner we have, so of course teams will go the other way. All I am saying is that Dunta gets burnt more than a pro-bowl caliber corner should. I am NOT saying that we need to get rid of him or saying that he sucks. I just dont think he is a top 5 corner in the league.
Old 01-03-2008   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Absolutely. Again he is the best corner we have, so of course teams will go the other way. All I am saying is that Dunta gets burnt more than a pro-bowl caliber corner should. I am NOT saying that we need to get rid of him or saying that he sucks. I just dont think he is a top 5 corner in the league.
I think we're on the same page. I think he would've been a lock for the Pro-Bowl this season if it weren't cut short due to injury.

I don't think he's top 5 either, but I'd say he's definitely in the top 15. Maybe even top 10.

Do you think he's burnt more than pro-bowlers Bailey and Hall? Heck they were burnt in every game I saw them play. Not to bash on Kevin Walter, but he took Champ to the woodshed on a couple plays. LOL
Old 01-03-2008   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

For a guy who plays as close to the receivers as Dunta, you gotta tip your hat to him.

His agressive plays and big hits also riled up the team (at least this year).

If not for some of the poor tackles he made, I think he deserves an A.
But as it was, probably a B, overall, MHO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2008   #28
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
yes it was. he still got burned though. I am a huge Dunta guy and have been forever. Sometimes you can do everything right yet still get burned. My statement was that maybe Lance's less than generous grade for Dunta may have been partially based on that play and his injury (both which could not be blamed on his completely)

Spec, I love Dunta but his man caught that ball and if he makes a play on the ball, we win that game. Was he in position? Yes. Was it a great throw and catch? Yes. Could Dunta have made a better play on the ball? Yes, but he didn't and we lost. It happens to the best of them. I was only trying to figure out why Lance gave Dunta such a low grade because Dunta had been Pro Bowl-level almost all season till the injury.
I am not discounting how you feel or anything, maybe we just have a different definition on getting burned. Symantics I know but I would have said he got beat versus burned.

Beat = D-Rob on that play
Burnt = Faggin versus Evans twice in 2006.

I do not think anyone will ever call Dunta a shut down corner, there is just not that many in the league anymore.
Old 01-03-2008   #29
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just look at our defensive performance before and after Dunta's injury.

In the first 8 games, we gave up 209 passing yards per game. In the last 8 games, we gave up 250 passing yards per game.

(someone might want to doublecheck my math on that.)

thats because the legend that is petey faggins got benched for some reason
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read