Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 12-30-2007   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How was the temp in the stadium today?

So, just curious, I have heard how it can get pretty hot in the North End Zone when the roof is open. How were the conditions in the stadium today?
Old 12-30-2007   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57075 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: How was the temp in the stadium today?

There was ice everywhere here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #3
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

It was hot. Not miserable but just hot.
Old 12-30-2007   #4
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Hot, we got the shade mid way thru the 3rd quarter, it made a huge difference.
Old 12-30-2007   #5
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
So, just curious, I have heard how it can get pretty hot in the North End Zone when the roof is open. How were the conditions in the stadium today?
I was in the shade the whole time, and it was pretty dang great, although I can easily understand how being in the Bull Pen would raise the temp a bit. The Pen seemed the only part of the stadium baking in sunshine.

Maybe the Texans could consider December home games starting at 3pm? (ie, December = best odds for open roof; 3pm = shade for all)
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

It was HOT in the NEZ! I met a couple families in the Bullpen Pub who could not sit there because the seats were to hot for their kids to sit in. The brightness and glare was terrible. With the sun blasting down through the roof, it was difficult to see. IMO anyway. I spent the first half standing at the rail. The shade hits my area about 2-3 min after the half. I'm just to old and fat to tolerate that kind of heat. Got really sick last year trying to be tough and stick it out. Decided it just was not worth it this time.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #7
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I can relate, when I used to sit in the Bullpen, it was brutal.
Personally maybe they should just open the roof for night games, that would please most everyone.
I do miss a "true" outdoor stadium though and cant wait for a road trip to the great white north next year.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2007   #8
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I was sweating in the third quarter.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
It was HOT in the NEZ! I met a couple families in the Bullpen Pub who could not sit there because the seats were to hot for their kids to sit in. The brightness and glare was terrible. With the sun blasting down through the roof, it was difficult to see. IMO anyway. I spent the first half standing at the rail. The shade hits my area about 2-3 min after the half. I'm just to old and fat to tolerate that kind of heat. Got really sick last year trying to be tough and stick it out. Decided it just was not worth it this time.
It wasn't too hot for me!!!

Thank you!!!!
Old 12-31-2007   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, there were only 2 games this year with the roof open....is that right?

Does anyone know when Sect. 115 gets shade?

It seems like if the roof doesn't get open until late Nov or in Dec because of the policy, the temp will hopefully be no hotter than yesterday. Mix in a couple of games starting at 3PM and maybe a primetime game next season it could be much better.
Old 12-31-2007   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It seems like if the roof doesn't get open until late Nov or in Dec because of the policy, the temp will hopefully be no hotter than yesterday. Mix in a couple of games starting at 3PM and maybe a primetime game next season it could be much better.
At this time of year, section 115 gets shade right about half time. I sit in 116 and we get shade within 5 min or so of the third quarter. Before the time change, the NEZ stays pretty much in the sun throughout the entire game. Might start getting shade late in the forth quarter. With the new temp policy, unless we have a night game, the roof will probably stay closed. This was the only noon game where the roof was open, this year, so I really can't, and won't, complain. IF it had been cloudy, it probably would have been a very nice open roof day. The glare and brightness was terrible.
Old 12-31-2007   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 73392 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

All of this reinforces the fact that this is a poorly designed stadium with regards to sunlight, temperature control and air circulation.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #13
Baga21
Rookie

3/4 of the stadium loved the roof being open. It was beautiful outside...cool and quite comfortable inside.

I do feel for the NEZ and I was wondering if it was hot because the sun was blasting them all game.

3:00pm December games is a good idea if we could get them.
Baga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #14
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I didn't check the time, but 115 got the shade about 10 minutes into the second half. I left my area with about 4 minutes on the clock before the half, and returned a few minutes after Davis' first kickoff return and my area had shade. From that point on the weather was great.

Before the game I was excited about the open roof given the temperature was below 80 degrees, but the stadium holds the heat and it felt more like 90. it wasn't anything like the Steeler game because I think I could have remained yesterday without becoming ill although it was extremely uncomfortable. 3:00 would be a great gametime, even with the warmer temperatures earlier in the season.

Last edited by StarStruck; 12-31-2007 at 02:30 PM.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #15
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

It was almost miserable. Awesome weather for tailgating, but there is MINIMAL air movement inside Reliant. Didn't make the entire 4th quarter, too uncomfortable. If the roof is open, we are in the sun the entire game...for noon games.

If they could only close the roof on the NEZ...it would have been great.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #16
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

It was warm, but it wasn't anything to freak out about. The beating of the sun and the constant holding the hand over forehead to block the glare was the biggest issue.
The shade was nice when it rolled around.
Personally, I'm all for keeping the roof open if it's nice weather/OR rainy weather. But it has to be cold in order for that bad boy to stay open. Anything over 75 degrees is going to be brutal for us.
I still have flashbacks of the Steelers game in 05, when I completely lost feeling in my hands.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #17
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I wussed out and moved to the other end. The sun is one thing, but no breeze (all they gotta do is prop doors open) sucks. If they'd just close the roof enough to block out the sun y'all would have it made.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Perfect.

Great day to have the roof open.

As we were walking in, I mentioned to my guest that it brought back memories of when I HATED walking into the Astrodome on a beautiful late fall/early winter day to watch a game.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
All of this reinforces the fact that this is a poorly designed stadium with regards to sunlight, temperature control and air circulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl View Post
It was almost miserable. Awesome weather for tailgating, but there is MINIMAL air movement inside Reliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I wussed out and moved to the other end. The sun is one thing, but no breeze (all they gotta do is prop doors open) sucks.
It was plenty breezy in my upper SEZ seats. Almost made it a little too chilly. The flags on the south goal post were even flapping. First time ever I can recall noticing that.

And even when I baked in the sun in the NEZ the 1st 4 years, there seemed to always be a breeze, not so much for the Pittsburgh game, but I've always felt a breeze with the lid open.

Maybe it doesn't get down to the lower bowl.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McNair View Post
The weather was perfect and it was great having the roof open. Yes, my seats are in the shade, I would not have bought seats in the sun. I can't stand sitting in the sun (I don't like the brightness, glare, heat, or sunburn), but since I am more than 4 years old I knew that meant "get seats in the shade".

Some people love sitting in the sun. For those who don't like sitting in the sun but bought tickets in the North End Zone anyways: spend $3 and buy a hat or visor. Or spend $30 and buy a licensed Texans hat. If the sun is shining I wear a hat just to walk from the tailgate into the stadium.
All 70,000 fans can't sit in the shade, so why the nasty sarcasm? When I bought my seats I was more concerned about cost. Other than the upper levels, the end zone seats were the cheapest PSLs. I HATE heights, therefore my decision to buy seats in the end zone. I didn't think about the position of the stadium in relation to the sun, nor did anyone from the Texans point out to me that the NEZ would be in the sun. It was NEVER discussed. After 30+ years of watching football in a domed stadium, thinking about the SUN didn't cross my mind! So, I guess I have the mentality of a 4 yr old for not thinking about that issue!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read