Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2007   #21
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Darius Walker and Will Demps: fool's gold or legit starting material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but we may already have a couple of pieces on our team. We have Chris Taylor who was showing promise at RB before he got hurt, and we just signed Greg Eslinger a C out of Minnesota who was the 2nd or 3rd rated C when he came out. We also have Brandon Harrison and Brandon Mitchell in our Secondary who I think will contribute alot next year. I would try to resign Demps however, I think he can be a good presence for us back there. In the first rd this year I would like to see them get Oher(OT) or Dan Conner(OLB).
Chris Taylor played in one game against one of the worst defenses in the league. He will be lucky to make the team next season.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker and Will Demps: fool's gold or legit starting material?

On Walker I think that he's got good vision, good instincts, and great natural ability to find the holes and get through them. I think it's unfortunate that he has this along with a general lack of speed, strength, and size. I think he's going to make a very good third down or "change of pace" back for us but the odds do not favor him ever becoming a starter. I know he looks like DD sometimes but he's not. They just share the jersey number and the instincts. Still, I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

I note that the subject of "What's Chris Taylor ever done?" seems to be fairly hot at the moment. I always thought the same thing but last year when he played in that game against Cleveland I think I understand what he's done and what the Texans see in him. Frankly I don't see what's so bad about a player spending most of a year on the practice squad as Chris Taylor did last year and Darius Walker did this year. They coached them up all year and got them involved when they were ready. Both of them seemed to respond very well to this approach. Not everybody gets it right away and not everybody is prepared to play at this level from week one.

Demps I think is literally a gift from the gods. The secondary is getting murdered week in and week out but since Demps began starting it isn't completely killing us. He's the best thing we've seen at safety on this team since Marlon McCree. We need to hang on to this guy. Is he going to Canton when he's done playing? Of course not. He can play however and that's a step above many of the stooges we've had back there in the not too distant past.
Old 12-30-2007   #23
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I'm not saying that we should cut Taylor before the season starts, but we shouldn't go into next season expecting Taylor to be a major contributer on offense. He very well may be a diamond in the rough, but he also could be a piece of quartz. We don't know because he only has 28 carries in his career. My personal opinion is that Walker and Taylor will compete for the final running back spot on the team and I think Walker will probably win. While both have had limited carries in their respective careers, I like what I've seen from Walker more than Taylor.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #24
walkingmydogma
Rookie

[quote=kiwitexansfan;813829]It is easier to turn mediocre runners into stars with a good OLine than turn a mediocre line into stars by having a stud back.

I think some of the older Oiler fans here would disagree with you.When the Oilers got Earl in '78,the OLine suddenly became better at both run blocking and pass blocking and, IIRC,there was no change in OLine personnel between '77 and '78.
walkingmydogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #25
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingmydogma View Post
I think some of the older Oiler fans here would disagree with you.When the Oilers got Earl in '78,the OLine suddenly became better at both run blocking and pass blocking and, IIRC,there was no change in OLine personnel between '77 and '78.
A HOF running back like Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders will make up for a sub-par offensive line, but those players are very rare. Its more common for good production in the running game to start up front with a solid offensive line. If the Texans were to use both first day draft picks on a LT (Clady/Oher) and a C (Justice/Wallace) it would be very benificial to the run game, even if we were still relying on Dayne and Walker. Id love to have a running back like Michael Turner or Jonathan Stewart, but a good running back is easier to find than good O-linemen.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
A HOF running back like Earl Campbell or Barry Sanders will make up for a sub-par offensive line, but those players are very rare. Its more common for good production in the running game to start up front with a solid offensive line. If the Texans were to use both first day draft picks on a LT (Clady/Oher) and a C (Justice/Wallace) it would be very benificial to the run game, even if we were still relying on Dayne and Walker. Id love to have a running back like Michael Turner or Jonathan Stewart, but a good running back is easier to find than good O-linemen.
The TRUTH has been spoken here folks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #27
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
On Walker I think that he's got good vision, good instincts, and great natural ability to find the holes and get through them. I think it's unfortunate that he has this along with a general lack of speed, strength, and size. I think he's going to make a very good third down or "change of pace" back for us but the odds do not favor him ever becoming a starter. I know he looks like DD sometimes but he's not. They just share the jersey number and the instincts. Still, I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

I note that the subject of "What's Chris Taylor ever done?" seems to be fairly hot at the moment. I always thought the same thing but last year when he played in that game against Cleveland I think I understand what he's done and what the Texans see in him. Frankly I don't see what's so bad about a player spending most of a year on the practice squad as Chris Taylor did last year and Darius Walker did this year. They coached them up all year and got them involved when they were ready. Both of them seemed to respond very well to this approach. Not everybody gets it right away and not everybody is prepared to play at this level from week one.

Demps I think is literally a gift from the gods. The secondary is getting murdered week in and week out but since Demps began starting it isn't completely killing us. He's the best thing we've seen at safety on this team since Marlon McCree. We need to hang on to this guy. Is he going to Canton when he's done playing? Of course not. He can play however and that's a step above many of the stooges we've had back there in the not too distant past.
I couldn't agree more Herv. I think Walker has the vision and skills but lacks size and speed. For some reason when I see him play, I think about Allen Pinkett, similar in stature (+2" & 20lbs) and coincidently both golden domers. I think he fits a Pinkett type of roll player for me. Think we bring him to camp as a 3rd down back.

Taylor, I liked what I saw, but would like to see more from him in camp next year. I'd like to see us draft a back, but would like to address the OL twice before that, which might mean us getting a FA RB. We need some corn fed mules to plow the road, wether it's in the draft or FA.

Demps, I've been impressed with him for a while now, comenting on how he is of a rare group of DBs that actually know how to tackle, even when they go for the highlight real. I'd bring him back, and make someone beat him for the position, his spot is not one that I feel we "must" fill and would spend time somewhere else.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2007   #28
austintexanite
All Pro

I wouldn't pencil in Walker as the starter for next year, but I can see him contributing to the team. I can see Demps starting and continuing to play at a high level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read