Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2007   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Darius Walker and Will Demps: fool's gold or legit starting material?

For the Texans to become a legit playoff contender, I believe our most pressing personnel moves are the following:

1. LT and C; hopefully addressed through the draft. Joe Thomas had a huge impact in turning the Browns around and I would love for us to draft a stud in the first round to man the position for a decade.

2. Secondary - I am worried about Dunta and our depth and both safety positions sucked until Demps started playing and making some plays. He is not great but seems serviceable.

3. RB - I really hated Dayne for most of the year but as the 3rd back next year to pound out some yards I can see him back. Darius Walker seems to have nice burst.

I also think Richard Smith needs to go and we need to get an elite DC.

Now, number 1 priority IMO is OL help. I really think we need to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds. In my mind, I am not considering Ahman Green in the lineup. I think we should cut his worthless ass immediately.

Unfortunately, you can't address all the holes with top of the draft talent. Are Walker and Demps good enough to forego us drafting a RB and S until the 4-7 rounds?
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #2
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Darius Walker and Will Demps: fool's gold or legit starting material?

I would say that Walker and Dayne will be fine for next year, though I am sure most would disagree. Demps, Brown, and Hutchins will not be fine for next year. Nor will Salaam, Pitts, or McKinney. I'm sure most will disagree, but the running game is fine. It will be better, as will our passing game, when we improve the offensive line, particularly everything from the center to the left. The secondary is killing our defense, as are the lame schemes. So, to break it down.

1) Fix the secondary
2) Improve the o-line (focus on center-left)
3) Find a new DC

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #3
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker and Will Demps: fool's gold or legit starting material?

i think walker is good for the system that kubiak uses with multiple backs. i am not sold on demps yet. i think we need to get some studs in the secondary and i'm not sure if he is one of them. good complementary player.
fikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #4
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the way Walker compliments Dayne. A defense has to deal with the power of Dayne and the finesse of Walker.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #5
fikster
All Pro

Rep Power: 101 fikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respectedfikster is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I would say that Walker and Dayne will be fine for next year, though I am sure most would disagree. Demps, Brown, and Hutchins will not be fine for next year. Nor will Salaam, Pitts, or McKinney. I'm sure most will disagree, but the running game is fine. It will be better, as will our passing game, when we improve the offensive line, particularly everything from the center to the left. The secondary is killing our defense, as are the lame schemes. So, to break it down.

1) Fix the secondary
2) Improve the o-line (focus on center-left)
3) Find a new DC
i agree with this with the exception of McKinney, I think he is the anchor of the O line and we could see that once he was out.
Old 12-30-2007   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

As far as a run to the Super Bowl is concerned, we arenít going next year. Letís concentrate on what we need to even ourselves out in the division in which we play.

For that I would say we need linemen on both sides of the ball that can do their job.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #7
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
i agree with this with the exception of McKinney, I think he is the anchor of the O line and we could see that once he was out.
I completely disagree. I have been wanting to upgrade McKinney for years now. I have seen him get blown off the ball way too many times for my taste. I would love to see a young free agent or a stud draft pick learn the position.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2007   #8
fikster
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I completely disagree. I have been wanting to upgrade McKinney for years now. I have seen him get blown off the ball way too many times for my taste. I would love to see a young free agent or a stud draft pick learn the position.
i understand that, I have seen the same thing, but he is the anchor of the line and we need him for another year to help the transition. The line performed well as a unit when he was in, could they get better, off course, but he did hold them together. Once he went down, so did Schaub. i think we can find a good young center in the 3rd or 4th round and let him learn, like you said for a year.
Old 12-30-2007   #9
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Will Demps has played better than any other safety on the Texans roster, and I think he is good enough to start so long as we get another safety to play along side him (paging Gibril Wilson). I had faith in Walker, but he surprised even me with his performance these last few games. I wont say I think he is starting material, BUT.... I used to place RB as a high priority need, now I wouldnt mind starting next season with Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Darius Walker as our backs, if that allows us to pick up some secondary help in free agency.
Mr PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I would say that Walker and Dayne will be fine for next year, though I am sure most would disagree. Demps, Brown, and Hutchins will not be fine for next year. Nor will Salaam, Pitts, or McKinney. I'm sure most will disagree, but the running game is fine. It will be better, as will our passing game, when we improve the offensive line, particularly everything from the center to the left.
so the running game is fine but the o-line has to go? you dont think the two might be linked?

anyway imo we will (based on what kubiaks said) have a new LT next yr and probably a new C and RG.. im not sure what the story with rashad butler is long term.

i also likw walker, dayne and ahman with taylor coming back and maybe a late round chance... we could always try mike turner if we think hes the real deal but its not a priority imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr PC View Post
Will Demps has played better than any other safety on the Texans roster, and I think he is good enough to start so long as we get another safety to play along side him (paging Gibril Wilson). I had faith in Walker, but he surprised even me with his performance these last few games. I wont say I think he is starting material, BUT.... I used to place RB as a high priority need, now I wouldnt mind starting next season with Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Darius Walker as our backs, if that allows us to pick up some secondary help in free agency.

is he a FA? i didnt know that. hes a quality safety alright from what ive seen of him
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #11
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21 Mr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of FamerMr PC is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
so the running game is fine but the o-line has to go? you dont think the two might be linked?

anyway imo we will (based on what kubiaks said) have a new LT next yr and probably a new C and RG.. im not sure what the story with rashad butler is long term.

i also likw walker, dayne and ahman with taylor coming back and maybe a late round chance... we could always try mike turner if we think hes the real deal but its not a priority imo

is he a FA? i didnt know that. hes a quality safety alright from what ive seen of him
unrestricted FA as of now, and he should not break the bank either.
Old 12-30-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Adam's point is that the problems with the running game aren't issues with the running backs but issues with the linemen. So, upgrade the line.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #13
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

still id bet a million dollars chester is our starting LG next yr bar injury
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #14
Mr PC
Hall of Fame

Quote:
still id bet a million dollars chester is our starting LG next yr bar injury
Thats fine with me as long as Salaam isnt the starting LT. Chester has Salaam and Flanagan on either side of him, I think he would look much better in a different situation. The right side of the line has looked pretty strong and it has shown with our recent success in running the ball.
Old 12-30-2007   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

to answer the broad question

Demps is a decent starter, who won't embarrass a team, but is upgradeable. If you have a really good defense, he is fine. Very much in the Marlee McCree range of player. Given the state of the Texans safeties, I would attempt to re-sign him for a modest contract.

Walker is not a guy I want to depend on week-in week-out, but may have a good career as a fill-in type of player. Considering the teams the Texans are chasing in its division, settling for a mediocore reserve and Ron Dayne is not the approach to take at RB.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #16
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 77873 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is easier to turn mediocre runners into stars with a good OLine than turn a mediocre line into stars by having a stud back.

I kind of see Walker in the DD/DW mold, a guy you might not think of as a starter, but if you plug him in he would be able to do the job to a reasonable standard.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #17
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikster View Post
i understand that, I have seen the same thing, but he is the anchor of the line and we need him for another year to help the transition. The line performed well as a unit when he was in, could they get better, off course, but he did hold them together. Once he went down, so did Schaub. i think we can find a good young center in the 3rd or 4th round and let him learn, like you said for a year.
Cody Wallace, Texas A&M Center. Nuff said.
Old 12-30-2007   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

We need a real back. In this draft, the only quality LTs will be gone by the time we pick, meaning Stewart or Jones should be there. Taking a center in the 1st seems stupid to me. You can usually get 1st round talent in centers in the 3rd/4th round because they aren't in demand.

Kalil went in the 3rd, and he was 1st round talent by a mile.

All that being said, if Conner is sitting there, we take him and run
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #19
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker is a good back up but I don't think he could hold down the starting job. A combination of him with Dayne seemed to work well and I don't see it as our most pressing need.

I like Demps and think he should be resigned and start for us next year. He's earned that much this year. Demps is definetely an improvement over CC Brown as a FS. Considering the injury to DRob will probably take at least two offseason's to heal, I think we'll need corner help next year.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007   #20
whiskeyrbl

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but we may already have a couple of pieces on our team. We have Chris Taylor who was showing promise at RB before he got hurt, and we just signed Greg Eslinger a C out of Minnesota who was the 2nd or 3rd rated C when he came out. We also have Brandon Harrison and Brandon Mitchell in our Secondary who I think will contribute alot next year. I would try to resign Demps however, I think he can be a good presence for us back there. In the first rd this year I would like to see them get Oher(OT) or Dan Conner(OLB).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read